• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sun City Hilton Head

barb1228

Reaction score
I was looking at some resales in Sun City when vacationing in Hilton Head. I saw a nice resale that I'm thinking of making an offer on. Can anyone suggest a reliable home inspector? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

[The About the Rest of TUG Forum is for posts about the TUG website, so I am moving your question to the board for NC. - DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Which model? I just put a down payment on a new Wren villa. The discount that Pulte was giving was way below any resale I could find. Although you never know how desperate an owner is and how low they will drop their price. I'm very excited about it.

barb1228

Reaction score
Best of luck on your purchase. We looked at that Wren villa and I know how inexpensive it was. It was one of Pulte's inventory homes. When are you planning to move in?

The model we looked at was a resale that Pulte is no longer building. The reason I liked it is because it has 3 bedrooms plus a den and it is not one of the bigger houses - Just a compact house where they packed in a lot of rooms.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Thanks, Barb. The Wren is on the smaller side but that way all the kids and grandkids can't come and stay at the same time. Don't know when I will be moving in. I plan on retiring the end of 2009 and moving the spring of 2010 but there's an awful lot going on in my life right now that could make it sooner or later.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Don Tyminski is "the" building inspector for Sun City. Pulte hates him because he is so thorough. For new construction, he charges about $450 for an inspection before drywall goes up and again just before closing. Then for a modest additional fee, he will come back before the 11-month warranty check. I don't know what he charges for existing homes, but I would guess around $300.

Call him well in advance, because he is often booked solid for as much as two months in advance.

843-757-9250. e-mail: tyme85 at hargray dot com

If, you call, you'll likely talk to his wife, who books the appointments.

I have the Vernon Hill, which has 3 bedrooms and a den. I love it more every day....

barb1228

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Dave. Actually, the resale I'm interested in has the same floor plan as the Vernon Hill just slightly smaller (1830 sq ft instead of 1889) - the Den, laundry room, galley kitchen and breakfast nook on one side of the Great Room and the Master suite and 2 guest bedrooms on the other side. I love the layout and I will especially like being able to work in the kitchen and watch television at the same time!!!

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Barb, I think I know the model you are talking about. Is it a villla? I really liked the Vernon Hill and it's equivilent villa. If I could have afforded it, that's what I would have bought.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is there an age restriction for Sun City? What's the average price for a 3BR new house over there?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I guess we will have to wait quite a few years before thinking about moving to Sun City. ;)

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I was out of town. Dave gave you the correct info on inspectors. We can start our own TUG group. We leave in the morning for Manhattan as our daughter's family from Maine is there for a couple of months. Pat, it is great that you are getting the Wren. They really do have some good deals now.

barb1228

Reaction score
Pat, the townhouse with 3 bedrooms and a den is the Starling. That model was not available.

The model I'm interested in is the Ibis which they are no longer building, but the Vernon Hill is essentially the Ibis. My only reservation about it is that the house was built in 2006 and there is the issue of improperly installed stucco and not using hurricane clips to secure the roof tops during that timeframe. But I'll ask the building inspector his opinion on that. However, I love that particular house.

From what I've read, the houses now being built by Pulte corrects those two issues - so you have nothing to worry about in purchasing the Wren. And if your salesman quoted you the price my salesman quoted me, you got a super deal!!! congrats:banana:

The more I read about and visit the Sun City Community, the more I feel I want to retire there.

Janet, sorry to have missed you in Hilton Head. I live on Long Island, one hour and a half outside of Manhattan. If you are in the area, you and your family are more than welcome to my home. I'll email you my phone number.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Barb, we own a Wisteria, ans do a few other Tuggers. We have been renting, and will move in a year or so. I live on L.I. also. In Oyster Bay. Where are you?

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One resident has to be 55+. No one under 19 can live there for more than 60 days.

Pat, yes one member of the household has to be 55 years old, however Pulte has a clause that allows 10% of those purchasing to be 50+. We bought in when I was 50, and my hubby was 51. By the time I move there, we will both be 55.

barb1228

Reaction score
Hi Ann-Marie:

I live in South Setauket. That's near Stony Brook. Can I ask how long you have rented your house. Ideally, I think it would be prudent to rent before buying a house, but now it is really a buyer's market especially with the inventory homes and all the resales on the market. We keep going back and forth between buying and renting.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barb, we own in Sun City, and rent that house out to someone. I still live in Oyster Bay and will be deciding how we are going to make the move probably in the spring when my youngest daughter graduates from college.

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info also; we just closed on a Robin villa the end of September. Won't be able to spend much time there for awhile, but the price & incentives were right.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Poette, congratulations. Where is your house? We are in Aster Fields section.

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pat, the townhouse with 3 bedrooms and a den is the Starling. That model was not available.

The model I'm interested in is the Ibis which they are no longer building, but the Vernon Hill is essentially the Ibis. My only reservation about it is that the house was built in 2006 and there is the issue of improperly installed stucco and not using hurricane clips to secure the roof tops during that timeframe. But I'll ask the building inspector his opinion on that. However, I love that particular house.

From what I've read, the houses now being built by Pulte corrects those two issues - so you have nothing to worry about in purchasing the Wren. And if your salesman quoted you the price my salesman quoted me, you got a super deal!!! congrats:banana:

The more I read about and visit the Sun City Community, the more I feel I want to retire there.

Janet, sorry to have missed you in Hilton Head. I live on Long Island, one hour and a half outside of Manhattan. If you are in the area, you and your family are more than welcome to my home. I'll email you my phone number.

I would not purchase a home made with stucco in the South. There has been alot of trouble with them. Water got behind the stucco and big problems. Brick is the way to go. No outside painting, built stronger and it will add value to your home.

barb1228

Reaction score
Bobcat,

I'd love to by a brick home, but they are not building them in this community.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'd guess because she's pretty set on the "Sun City Lifestyle." People will buy less house for the same amount of money just to live in Sun City. I know. We did. If I'd have moved elsewhere we would have had more house for the same money. BUT we would not have had all the amenities we do, the pools, bocce courts, tennis courts, exercise rooms with equipment, inside walking track, computer labs (with classes and wifi), arts and crafts studios, theater and more. Then there are the half a zillion clubs, entertainment, etc, all of it reasonably priced.

Yup, I'd guess that is why.

Fern

Why not look at a community that has brick ?.

barb1228

Reaction score
Fern, Thanks for articulating that. I could not have said it better.

I'd guess because she's pretty set on the "Sun City Lifestyle." People will buy less house for the same amount of money just to live in Sun City. I know. We did. If I'd have moved elsewhere we would have had more house for the same money. BUT we would not have had all the amenities we do, the pools, bocce courts, tennis courts, exercise rooms with equipment, inside walking track, computer labs (with classes and wifi), arts and crafts studios, theater and more. Then there are the half a zillion clubs, entertainment, etc, all of it reasonably priced.

Yup, I'd guess that is why.

Fern

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. People who don't live in Sun City often don't "get it." A friend once told me she liked Sun City because "it is like a cruise ship on land." Except for the cooking and lack of maid service, I'd guess it is. And even the cooking is optional. I have a girlfriend who says she only has a kitchen "because it came with the house." And she's not alone...

Fern

Fern, Thanks for articulating that. I could not have said it better.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a wonderful week in NYC(even got into Jersey Boys), but it is great to be home in Sun City. One of my friends calls it "camp Sun City" because of our busy schedules. My hubby thinks it is like being in college again without the mandatory classes(we can take college courses). You are correct in that folks who don't live in an active adult community have no idea of our life styles.