• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sun City Hilton Head

barb1228

Reaction score
I have a friend who lives in an adult community in New Jersey and her grandson observed "this is like a camp for old people."

BWV Dreamin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are visiting Sun City HHI in 2 weeks! We have been going back and forth about buying and renting before we actually get there, vs. just waiting to sell and then buy. We wouldn't be able to live there full time for 3 yrs. Glad to see some have been able to rent out their houses.....

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I got word today that my mortgage has been approved! I am so excited and scared at the same time.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats Pat and welcome to Sun City. I look forward to seeing those grandbabies when they visit. After a trip to Jacksonville to see the DAWGS play this weekend, we'll be home for a while. Let me know if you are in the area.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Don Tyminski is "the" building inspector for Sun City. Pulte hates him because he is so thorough. For new construction, he charges about $450 for an inspection before drywall goes up and again just before closing. Then for a modest additional fee, he will come back before the 11-month warranty check. I don't know what he charges for existing homes, but I would guess around $300.

Call him well in advance, because he is often booked solid for as much as two months in advance.

843-757-9250. e-mail: tyme85 at hargray dot com

If, you call, you'll likely talk to his wife, who books the appointments.

I have the Vernon Hill, which has 3 bedrooms and a den. I love it more every day....

I just hired him to do my inspection. It was $400. It's being done tomorrow and my closing is next Friday. Everything is happening too fast!

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats Pat. Now I will have two friends to visit in Bluffton. Well, at least two, sounds like there are more and more of you moving there. :D

taffy19

Reaction score
I just hired him to do my inspection. It was $400. It's being done tomorrow and my closing is next Friday. Everything is happening too fast!
How exciting Pat. Congratulations!:banana:

Mike327

Reaction score
We vacation on HHI every October. I played golf there years ago. It just occured to me this year that it would be great to retire at Sun City. We have quite a few years to go, but I will be keeping an eye on that community in the future.

If you own a house or condo there, you would be allowed to rent it out ?

Enjoy your new place!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can rent a home or condo that you own here in Sun City. Many people do rent to snowbirds. You are not permitted to rent for short intervals, such as a week at a time.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I am very impressed with the summary report and photos I got from the inspector. He found a lot of things that need to be repaired/finished. Some are minor and others are serious. I certainly feel like I got more than my money's worth.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The one in Hilton Head is an active retirement community of reasonably priced homes.

There are so many activities, you'll have to consider retiring from retirement to have time for yourself! Two golf courses, numerous tennis courts, softball leagues, croquet, horseshoes, pickleball, racquetball, multiple swim pools and athletic workout centers and other activities for the active person. Even a triathlon for residents only. Ballroom dancing, line dancing, square dancing and more. Duplicate bridge, social bridge, canasta, poker, chess, gin rummy etc. Groups for singles, widows, widowers, veterans, people from specific states and regions of the country. A cooking and luncheon clubs. I haven't listed half of them, including arts and crafts groups, garden and nature groups, hobby groups, lecture and discussion groups, travel groups and performing arts groups. Many clubs/groups meet numerous times each week.

And it's easy to make friends because everyone else is new, too. I attended four different welcome group functions during my first six weeks here and made contacts at each of them. I have been so busy that I haven't yet taken the time (I will) to reconnect to the very first person I met here - Janette!

Santina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Sun City a community where people just spend part of the year or do people make it their permanent residence?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sun City is a gated community that consists mostly of year-round residents. There are also quite a few who are snowbirds or who (like Pat H, probably) vacation here until they retire. It's an active group, so travel is common.

There are currently about 6,700 homes and 12,000 residents. Projection at full build-out is for 8,200 homes and 15,000 residents.

Golf carts are a common mode of travel within the community and to nearby businesses. At the 4th of July fireworks celebration inside Sun City, there were over 800 golf carts parked at the fireworks display area.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So, Dave, do you have a golf cart yet? We've had one for almost four years. Its quite handy to go to the center, friends' houses, etc. Plus, since ours have to be electric (do yours?), they are ecologically the smart thing to do.

Fern

Golf carts are a common mode of travel within the community and to nearby businesses. At the 4th of July fireworks celebration inside Sun City, there were over 800 golf carts parked at the fireworks display area.

barb1228

Reaction score
I saw a resale that I liked located in the neighborhood of Okatie Village. However in reading Neighborhood News in SunSations, it doesn't appear that this neighborhood is very social. Some other neighborhoods have social committees to plan neighborhood events and outings (Aster Fields, Stratford Village, Bull Hill Plantation, Garden Walk, etc.) I asked my real estate broker about this and she said

"Okatie Village is one of the first neighborhoods in Sun City and most of the residents are fairly well established and have well defined activities and friends. The newer neighborhoods tend to be a lot more active and have many more get-togethers. However, Sun City has so many activities,clubs, events, etc., it is very easy to make friends with people who have compatible interests. Sun City is a very, very friendly place."

Should I choose the neighborhood first and then the house or should I pick the house I like first and not worry about the neighborhood.

Sun City residents -- any advice?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Barb,
It depends on whether you really want your social contacts to be defined by who you live near or what you like to do. I live in Sun City Anthem in Nevada, and I belong to a Village Friends Group, which is for ladies in my village. My village has about 217 houses, but maybe 10% are unoccupied. I'm very friendly (ie, go to lunch, etc.) with my neighbor, but only "casually friendly" with most of the others.

I have good friends here, most of them made through activities I belong to, not where I live. In general my friends live in other villages (neighborhoods to you), some as much as three miles away, although still in Sun City. I met my best friend when she walked into the Computer Lab when I was working as a volunteer. I've met other people at other activities.

Does this help your concerns?

Don't forget there is also Red Hat Ladies. We have seven or eight chapters here, and I am a member of one, and a guest sometimes at another.

Fern

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I concur 100% with Fern's response.

My new friends (I have lived here only a few months) are mostly related to the activities I'm involved with. But I have met most of my nearby neighbors and they are all friendly.

No, Fern, I don't have an electric cart yet. My original plan was to not get one. But I'm coming around to the idea that they are economical and move at almost the speed limit (25 mph) on most streets within the community).

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, we are in town until Thanksgiving. Sorry we haven't been in touch, but we're trying to make up for all the time we've been away. It's great to hear that you are having fun. We will be in town most of Jan and Feb as I'm doing the anti-aging program. I've lost almost 30 lbs after doing the weight to go program last Jan so now I've got to get my chore muscles stronger.

Dave is in a new neighborhood and this is a good thing in that everyone is excited and ready to have fun. Our neighborhood is very active, but some are not. I do think it is important to have an active neighborhood. Some people that have moved into the older neighborhoods have complained that they can't get their neighbors to join with them in fun activities. There are plenty of activities that are for everyone in Sun City but you have to make the effort to find the things you enjoy and get involved.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Maybe we can have a TUG/ Sun City get together. We will be on HHI from 6/27-7/4/09. Can't wait! :hi: :banana:

Santina

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I vacation this summer I am going to check out Sun City in HHI. Is this the closest to Pa? I will be a retired school teacher and my husband will be a retired union worker. My husband talked me into living in the country in a rural area and if I had to do it all over again , I would not. My children will be graduating high school soon. It has been a lifestyle that has not included neighbors and I really missed that. I am hoping in the second half of my life to move somewhere to be surrounded by people. I am hoping that there will be people there with my interests.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Santina,
No matter what your interests, you are sure to find a club or "interest group" for it. I didn't mention the clubs, because there are so many. Besides the usual cards, arts and crafts, etc. we have things like "lifelong learning," which sponsors short (one hour) lectures on various subjects. They also have a "respectful debate" once a month. There is a topic, generally with social impact, chosen by the members ahead of time. Everybody is welcome to state how they feel about the subject, and there is no judgement, insults, etc. allowed. Its wonderful We also have current events club, a history club, "cultural clubs" of various types, etc. In addition we have a computer lab, and we offer classes (free) on many types of software. We also have a speaker meeting once a month, and a Q & A every week. And then there's bocce, tennis, golf, bowling, billiards, aquacize, and exercise classes.

So I'm sure you'll find something to interest you. And its easy to make friends, since everybody comes from somewhere else.

Fern

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
When I vacation this summer I am going to check out Sun City in HHI. Is this the closest to Pa? I will be a retired school teacher and my husband will be a retired union worker. My husband talked me into living in the country in a rural area and if I had to do it all over again , I would not. My children will be graduating high school soon. It has been a lifestyle that has not included neighbors and I really missed that. I am hoping in the second half of my life to move somewhere to be surrounded by people. I am hoping that there will be people there with my interests.

Santina, go to www.suncity.com There you can find a list by state of all the Sun Cities. There is actually one in PA near Philly but it's very expensive. Like you, my ex-husband convinced me to move to rural PA from NJ. I have always missed the city life. It's not very rural here any more but everything is still a long drive and there is not that much to do.

Besides liking the Sun City lifestyle, I want to be where there isn't a cold, snowy winter.

Santina

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in a beautiful house in the country and when we were younger,our friends from town envied us. Now all I want is to be able to walk somewhere. I am so glad I read this thread. I am really looking forward to checking out these communities. Hilton Head sounds great because I love the beach.