• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta Virgin - questions for you experts!

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

We will be heading to Puerto Vallarta for the first time Nov.1 and I have a few questions. We will be staying at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta.

1. Airport Transportation - I have found a company (link below) for private transportation from the airport. It looks like it will cost us $16.50 PP for the VIP service. Is this necessary in PV to book airport transportation ahead of time? If we don't, how much would a cab be to NV?

2. Private tour - I have found 2 companies that offer private tours. Funtastic Tours (link below) and Puerto Vallarta tours. Has anyone used these companies for a private tour? Do you recommend one of them? If we decide to book a private tour, any recommendations on where we should go for a 5 - 7 hour day? (We really hate the large group tours, but will deal with one of them to go to Las Caletas. We would like another day to be a private tour day to see things the mass market tours don't take you to.)

http://www.allvallarta.com/
http://www.puertovallartatours.net/private-driver.htm

Any "Must Sees" in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michelle

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Puerto Vallarta transportation

There are plenty of opportunities to get a taxi or shuttle when you arrive in the airport. After you clear customs, just head for the exit and there will be different shuttle companies looking to take you to your resort. Check their booths but avoid the timeshare sharks offering you a free ride or a free tour, etc.

We enjoy the marina area IN PV and also going downtown PV to the Malecon along the waterfront in the evening. You would also enjoy old-town also known as the romantic zone. We have taken the boat tour to the waterfall which includes snorkeling stop, a stop at a private beach where we did parasailing (extra $), a horse ride up to the waterfall (extra $) or you can hike up, nice boat ride and breakfast & lunch & drinks. It was a fun day for us.

There is lady named Pam Thompson who now lives in PV who had a list of restaurants and tours and she got a discount for you. You might search the boards for her name. She also accepts school supplies for the poor children and I believe clothing for the children. Do a search to find her.

I am sure there are others who can give more and better advice. Have fun. Be sure to stop by the church with the crown on the steeple. It is neat.
Enjoy a lovely part of Mexico.
DonnaD

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also recommend Vallarta Adventures. Very nice and helpful. We actually booked online before and saved some money.

Also try one of the day trips from the marina. We went to Yelpa Island. This is a great trip. Drinks, food, entertainment and snorkeling. Just take plenty sunscreen.

You'll love it there, no matter what you do. :whoopie: I would go back in a heart-beat.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
P.S. If you have never swam with the dolphins - I suggest Nuevo Vallarta's location, (it's by the NV marina). This was the most wonderful experience my family has ever had. (we swam with some in Florida, but just not as great) If you can afford, go for the deluxe package. So much more time and interaction. Highly recommended!!!!:cheer:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are going to Las Caletas, I recommend the night trip vs the day trip. We have been on both and the Rhythms of the Night is pretty good although the meal is just so so. The day trip was OK but since there was a large flock of jellyfish in the bay, it certainly cut down on the water sports.

Cheers

anteween

TUG Member
Reaction score
PV airport is crazzzy. Bypass all the crazy guys trying to get you to their resort. You must tell them you are not interested and keep moivng. They are relentless and there are a lot of them.

I will be there from Oct 27- Nov 3rd. Have a great time. We will be staying at Villa Del Palmar PV

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies! We are excited to check out PV! This should be an interesting trip. We are starting off in Playa del Carmen at the Royal Haciendas for a week then moving on to Puerto Vallarta for a week (well, Nuevo Vallarta). Anyway, it will be a good way to compare the 2 destinations since the trips are back to back. We are trying very hard to keep an open mind for PV/NV, since we LOVE Cancun and Playa so much (LOVE the Carribean).

Thanks again!

Michelle :whoopie:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
PV/Nv

I haven't been to Cancun(yet) but have been to Flamingo's about a year ago and it was really a nice resort. :clap:

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Cancun(yet) but have been to Flamingo's about a year ago and it was really a nice resort. :clap:

Thanks for the feedback. I think we will have a great time at the VDPF, as long as we don't compare toooooo much to our home resorts in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. :) I have to say, based on the pics at least, the VDPF has a BEAUTIFUL pool, and the rooms like very nice. The scenery looks pretty too, almost reminds me of Maui. I am looking forward to that beautiful scenery!

Michelle

wvanly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will love Puerto Vallarta! We love Playa del Carmen and have traveled there quite often, but once we started going to Puerto Vallarta we have found a new favorite. We are going for two weeks to PV this spring.

My question to you is: I assume you are flying between Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, have thought about doing that but have never looked into the cost of the flight. Just curious how affordable the flight is.

I would just grab a cab at the PV airport, just make sure you walk straight out the doors and past all the resort/timeshare people, don't stop.

I also recommend you email Pam Thompson, as I have in the past and she is very helpful. I have her email as aaprv@yahoo.com.

Enjoy your trip!

Wendi

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wendi.

Thanks for your post. I am getting more and more excited about PV! You assumed correctly, we are flying from Cancun to PV via Mexicana airlines. When we booked the tickets last Feb., coach tickets for one way were only $99 plus tax (about $200 total), so not bad. We have to change planes in Mexico City. We chose Mexicana because we did not want to have to go back to the US, clear customs, and then back into Mexico again, to clear customs and immigration again. By travelling domestically within Mexico, it makes it a lot easier.

Michelle

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
You did well...I have done the reverse...PV to Cancun several times, in March, which is prime time...it cost about 300 last year and this year it went up about 75 dollars.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Karen. Glad to know we got a good deal!

One more question in specific to the Villa del Palmar Flamingos - does anyone know if there is a DVD player in the room? (We have the 1 bedroom suite with the full kitchen and living room).

Michelle

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Karen. Glad to know we got a good deal!

One more question in specific to the Villa del Palmar Flamingos - does anyone know if there is a DVD player in the room? (We have the 1 bedroom suite with the full kitchen and living room).

Michelle

No clue but a portable DVD player can be had for under $75 if you really want to watch movies, etc.

Cheers

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
No clue but a portable DVD player can be had for under $75 if you really want to watch movies, etc.

Cheers

Thanks. We have a portable DVD player, just didn't want to lug it with is if not needed.

hibbert6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous Place

We did a T/S tour of VDPFlamingos last April. Gorgeous place. If you're into big breakfast/brunches, check out the one they offer. I don't know what it costs, as ours was part of the tour, but it was as beautiful as it was delicious!

Nueva Vallarta has very nice beaches, and are considered the safest for swimming (away from the river/canal inlets further toward PV). Be sure to check the resale prices before going, though, because they WILL find a way to get most visitors into a sales presentation. It was low pressure, but took 2 1/2 hours, even though I brought a printout showing 2 current resales offered at half what they were offering! When the salesman realized I knew what I was doing, he turned me over to a manager who tried to sell us a "vacation club" of some sort. It was incredible what they will try to offer.

Enjoy! I wish I was going, too!

Dave

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you want to watch movies while vacationing in PV or Nuevo Vallarta?

Hi Jim,

Since we will be in N.V., far from the action of P.V., we figure there will be a couple of nights that we will want to spend some quality time together "at home". We enjoy lots os day time activities, but are not much into the night life, so watching movies for us is a great way to relax and enjoy time together. We don't get a lot of time to do this when we are at home, just too much to do, so we like to do it on vacation!

Michelle

P.S. I called the resort directly and found out they do NOT have DVD players in the villas. (in case anyone else wondered)

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a T/S tour of VDPFlamingos last April. Gorgeous place. If you're into big breakfast/brunches, check out the one they offer. I don't know what it costs, as ours was part of the tour, but it was as beautiful as it was delicious!

Nueva Vallarta has very nice beaches, and are considered the safest for swimming (away from the river/canal inlets further toward PV). Be sure to check the resale prices before going, though, because they WILL find a way to get most visitors into a sales presentation. It was low pressure, but took 2 1/2 hours, even though I brought a printout showing 2 current resales offered at half what they were offering! When the salesman realized I knew what I was doing, he turned me over to a manager who tried to sell us a "vacation club" of some sort. It was incredible what they will try to offer.

Enjoy! I wish I was going, too!

Dave

Thanks Dave for the advice. They will NOT get us to a tour, that much I can guarantee. We have too many now as it is, so the last thing we need is another timeshare! :)

I am pleased to hear the good things about N.V. and the beaches there. We are very much looking forward to this trip!

Michelle

Aimfair

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pam Thompson Email

I also recommend you email Pam Thompson, as I have in the past and she is very helpful. I have her email as aaprv@yahoo.com.

Enjoy your trip!

Wendi

Thanks to you all for the information about Pam Thompson. FYI, I tried the email address posted above and found that it is no longer active. Any more recent information? We are going to PV on 11/1 as well and would like to get as much information about restaurants and sites to visit as we can.

Bob

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you want to watch movies while vacationing in PV or Nuevo Vallarta?

No children I take it? My reasons why I would like to have a DVD player.

1) I sleep in late on vacation, the children don't.
2) If you are at a resort for a meal, you might want to sit in your room and relax for an hour or so before hitting the beach or the pool. The children might want to watch a little TV instead of being bored.
3) If it rains in the evening, it might be nicer to stay in your unit. Watching a DVD is one option.
4) If someone is sick and has to stay in the unit, a DVD is a nice option.
5) Some Puerto Vallerta resorts have limited U.S. televisions stations and a DVD would be preferable.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Flamigos doesnt have a DVD player. We bring ours with some shows to watch and music cd`s to listen to. If I could figure out how to conect my lap top to the tv I wouldnt need a dvd player.