• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta Virgin - questions for you experts!

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too recommend Vallarta Adventures for tours. Very professional, safe and fun!

Flamingo is a lovely resort, though I have never actually stayed there I have toured it. Seemed very nice. NV is also a great area with nice beaches and well manicured area. It is soley a resort area.

The airport in PV is quite the madhouse....I personally for $16. would go with the transportation provided. I believe it is in the ballpark for the taxis to NV if not lower. You are going to be about 30-45 minutes away from PV, so it is not a short cab ride, and depending on time can be quite traffic laden.

Be sure if you have time to take a day to go into PV and check out the malecon etc. You may as well see both places as they are both different, PV and NV that is.

Usually and I quote usually the rains have stopped by Nov. 1st. So hopefully you will not be dealing with any rain issues. You will have beautiful mountains surrounding you and incredible sunsets on the Pacific side of Mexico, so be sure to catch those.

Just a note, PV and NV are on different time zones so thus they are one hour apart. Some resorts though use PV time anyway, so in essence be sure to verify times of tours etc based on PV time or NV time. Mexico is beginning Daylight Savings time on Oct 26 ( this year) , so it will get darker at night earlier. I think Us is doing it a week later on Nov 1st.

Although the water is not as blue and crystal clear on the Pacific Coast, I prefer the Pacific side to cancun side. Hope you enjoy your trip!!!

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too recommend Vallarta Adventures for tours. Very professional, safe and fun!

Flamingo is a lovely resort, though I have never actually stayed there I have toured it. Seemed very nice. NV is also a great area with nice beaches and well manicured area. It is soley a resort area.

The airport in PV is quite the madhouse....I personally for $16. would go with the transportation provided. I believe it is in the ballpark for the taxis to NV if not lower. You are going to be about 30-45 minutes away from PV, so it is not a short cab ride, and depending on time can be quite traffic laden.

Be sure if you have time to take a day to go into PV and check out the malecon etc. You may as well see both places as they are both different, PV and NV that is.

Usually and I quote usually the rains have stopped by Nov. 1st. So hopefully you will not be dealing with any rain issues. You will have beautiful mountains surrounding you and incredible sunsets on the Pacific side of Mexico, so be sure to catch those.

Just a note, PV and NV are on different time zones so thus they are one hour apart. Some resorts though use PV time anyway, so in essence be sure to verify times of tours etc based on PV time or NV time. Mexico is beginning Daylight Savings time on Oct 26 ( this year) , so it will get darker at night earlier. I think Us is doing it a week later on Nov 1st.

Although the water is not as blue and crystal clear on the Pacific Coast, I prefer the Pacific side to cancun side. Hope you enjoy your trip!!!

THANKS for the great information! We are getting super excited about the trip! We leave this Saturday for Playa, but will be in PV/NV ia week after that! Yippee!

That is very interesting about the time zones. I would have never guessed that NV would be a different time zone than PV. We will definitely remember that! Good to know about the day light savings as well. We don't do that in Arizona, so I really don't pay much attention to it! Do you happen to know what time zones PV and NV are in? (Central, Pacific, etc.)

Thanks again for your help! In fact, thanks to everyone for their help! We are going to have a great trip! :cheer:

Michelle

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Flamingos (yes, resale). When you check in, you will be referrned to the concierge (read first TS presentation contact). She is very insistent. Make an appt. for a presentation, then call and cancel it. I did this the last time we we were there because she was so insistent that we attend an owners' update. When you check in ask for a high floor oceanview unit--if they're not too full, they will probably honor your request. We love Flamingos--it is my favorite place to go in Mexico Enjoy!

Last edited:

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay now you have me.....I have no clue on what time zones so will just give you what I know off hand....

In US on East Coast like Boston where I am from it is right now 8:30 pm, where I am in Mexico it is 7:30 pm. PV is in same state so I belive it is same time as me. NV, now I forget is either one hour ahead or one hour behind me. Poor explanation I know!!! You can probably google the timezones though.

In PV you just have to see the huge, I mean huge sandcastles they build just below the Malecon on the beach, and also have to experience the shops, stores and feel of the Malecon area. You can also head over to Old Town, just over the bridge and check out that area. Some great shops over there. Can all be done walking. PV is full of activity, so squeeze a day in if possible.

NV has some shopping at paradise Village mall, located next to Paradise Village Resort. Some restaurants there as well. You can also walk or taxi to Bucerias, another town closer to NV than PV, with nice restaurants and such.

If you need to get food from grocery store or anything like that I suggest the new Mega Commercial in NV as opposed to Walmart or stores in PV. It is new, clean, big and has a great variety of items. Plus it is closer to you.

Oh I think at Paradise Village Marina area you can take a water taxi into PV, that might be fun and then a regular taxi back as you may be in PV all day.

Too bad I am not going to be there when you are...I am headed to NV Mayan Palace for a week on Nov 14.

Have a great vacation......I think you will find the Pacific side a whole different concept than Playa...hope you like it, I know we do!!!

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
we'll be in PV from Nov 1-21 - anyone else there at that time?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
To clarify:

Nuevo Vallarta is in the state of Nayarit which is in the Mountain Time Zone.
Puerto Vallarta is in the state of Jalisco which is in Central Time Zone.

Enjoy your trip! We love Puerto Vallarta...

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
To clarify:

Nuevo Vallarta is in the state of Nayarit which is in the Mountain Time Zone.
Puerto Vallarta is in the state of Jalisco which is in Central Time Zone.

Enjoy your trip! We love Puerto Vallarta...

Though not my post...thanks for the clarification....I really should know that LOL. duh....I did know the states of each just not the Time Zones, so marking them down...thanks..:hi:

taffy19

Reaction score
THANKS for the great information! We are getting super excited about the trip! We leave this Saturday for Playa, but will be in PV/NV ia week after that! Yippee!

That is very interesting about the time zones. I would have never guessed that NV would be a different time zone than PV. We will definitely remember that! Good to know about the day light savings as well. We don't do that in Arizona, so I really don't pay much attention to it! Do you happen to know what time zones PV and NV are in? (Central, Pacific, etc.)

Thanks again for your help! In fact, thanks to everyone for their help! We are going to have a great trip! :cheer:

Michelle
It's a different time zone but the resorts in Nuevo Vallarta use the Puerto Vallarta time zone otherwise too many people would miss their flight home. :eek:

It's a beautiful resort where you are heading to and I also vote for the same tour company. All the tours are wonderful but swimming with the dolphins is special for young and old. :)

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a different time zone but the resorts in Nuevo Vallarta use the Puerto Vallarta time zone otherwise too many people would miss their flight home. :eek:

It's a beautiful resort where you are heading to and I also vote for the same tour company. All the tours are wonderful but swimming with the dolphins is special for young and old. :)

Thanks! Good to know the resort will be keeping the same time as PV. That would be WAY too confusing!

Quick question regarding Vallarta Adventure tours company. How do we book with this company when we get there? We really don't want to book ahead (weather, etc) but would like to use this company. Any ideas?

Also - Has anyone done Marietas Eco Discovery snorkeling tour? That tour looks great to us but we would love some input!

Michelle

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

It also means that you need to be a careful to be clear about the time when you are in Nayarit but not at the resort.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Good to know the resort will be keeping the same time as PV. That would be WAY too confusing!

Quick question regarding Vallarta Adventure tours company. How do we book with this company when we get there? We really don't want to book ahead (weather, etc) but would like to use this company. Any ideas?

Also - Has anyone done Marietas Eco Discovery snorkeling tour? That tour looks great to us but we would love some input!

Michelle

FYI - You really might want to look at booking ahead, even if its just a few days ahead. They really get booked. You can also e-mail them and ask how their calendar looks. The dolphin excursions are by far the most busy. But they are so nice and accommodating, that if you book and need to change they will definately work with you. When we went, booked on-line for dolphins, didn't notice that the date was a week later than we were there, so we showed up and they didn't have a reservation for us. I was devistated (since I had booked it) and thought I let my family down, started to cry, etc. They looked at the books and saw they had an opening for 4 people in the more expensive excursion and let us join that group and didn't charge us anymore. They saved the day and it was a truly wonderful experience.

Have a wonderful trip. :)

Lee

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yelapa or Las Celatas from Adventure tours?

ok, so I have read a bunch of reviews on tripadvisor not recommending Las Caletas, so considering not doing that tour. Has anyone been on the Yelapa & Majaguitas tour with Vallarta Adventures? It looks like it may be more relaxing and less commercial. Any thoughts?

Michelle

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Yelpa tour is great. It is an all day thing. take lots of sunscreen. They trail fish on the way out and back. Rumor has it, it you catch something good on the way out, they will cook at the beach and everyone can enjoy. We only caught skipper jacks. But it was fun to reel them in anyway. Lots of drinks, so be careful. When you get to the island, they will hand you an iguana and take pictures, then charge you 5 pesos.:eek: Beach is ok, its more fun to watch the locals though. You can snorkel either going or coming depending on how the group votes. They pull over to a little spot and you jump off the back of the boat. Pretty cool.

taffy19

Reaction score

Michelle
Yes, we have done several boat trips to the Marietas as it is one of our favorite islands. At least once or twice with Vallarta Adventures and we went with a smaller but faster boat too from a different company. They promised to take us around the island but the swell was too high so one passenger got seasick so we couldn't go around but we still could dive or snorkel. I don't remember the name of this company now.

We never have booked in advance because we stay long enough but their tours are very popular and the weather can vary a lot. I wonder if it will less busy when you go. Enjoy your trip as there is so much to do in this area. :D

PS. November 1 should be a quiet time so that's in your favor.

Last edited:

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
It also means that you need to be a careful to be clear about the time when you are in Nayarit but not at the resort.

Exactly my point, always clarify PV or NV time. Also there are some resorts that do not use PV time...the one you are going to does I believe, just always clarify to avoid any problems....

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
They say Yelapa has a great waterfall, and it should be flowing heavily at this time, since rains have just ended if indeed they are completed for the year LOL. There is also a grat pie lady there for dessert.......

Be sure for any boat trip you go with a reputable company, there have been incidents of non-safety with some...so be cautious.

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family did the Marietas ecotour with Vallarta Adventures, and it was great. My teen even scuba dove (his first time). The rest of the family snorkeled and kayaked. The buffet lunch is very good, and there was plenty of food. Crew was very nice. A wonderful day.
We will be there for Xmas week, and I am trying to decide between repeating the Marietas adventure or trying Yelapa. Does anyone know if there are many fish to see when snorkeling on the Yelapa tour?

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked the Yelapa and the Marieatas tours! Yeah! I am so excited! :) We leave tomorrow for Playa, but will be in PV/NV in a week! Woo hoo!

Thanks again to all who have helped us plan this trip!

Michelle