• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The new college drug?

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard the other day that the new drug in colleges is the drug prescribed for kids with ADD, it was not ritalin, it was something new. Those kids are selling it to the kids who do not have ADD and it is awesome, according to the kid who was talking about it because it really helps you focus when you need to study.
Has anyone else heard about this? This concerns me, of course. On the other
hand I am wondering if I should get my Dr. to prescribe some for me to help me with my focus issues. :shrug:

Sue

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard the other day that the new drug in colleges is the drug prescribed for kids with ADD, it was not ritalin, it was something new. Those kids are selling it to the kids who do not have ADD and it is awesome, according to the kid who was talking about it because it really helps you focus when you need to study.
Has anyone else heard about this? This concerns me, of course. On the other
hand I am wondering if I should get my Dr. to prescribe some for me to help me with my focus issues. :shrug:

Sue

Adderoll, Concerta, or Focalin? All are stimulants like Ritalin.
I thought that ADD drugs made people hyper if they didn't need it for ADD.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not so new

Adderoll, Concerta, or Focalin? All are stimulants like Ritalin.
I thought that ADD drugs made people hyper if they didn't need it for ADD.

Adderall was one of our drugs of choice for all night cram sessions in college when I was there. I graduated back in 2001, so it's not exactly new.

Disclaimer: All drugs used were legally prescribed to the user. ;)

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one of DD's orientation sessions, the head of health services explained that prescription drugs, Ritalin and other stimulants in particular, should be kept under lock and key. She said that sometimes drugs are stolen and resold, and technically the owner of the drugs is liable, even if the owner is not the reseller. I found that hard to believe, but....

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was adderall. Jeepers I guess I am getting old, when I was in college it was just plain old caffeine. Sometimes we got crazy and took "no doze".

Just wondering what problems may happen if it is taken as a recreational drug for kids who just want to cram? I do have a college freshman so I like to be on the look out for all things possible he could be doing!
Also wondering if I should get some?

Sue

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was adderall. Jeepers I guess I am getting old, when I was in college it was just plain old caffeine. Sometimes we got crazy and took "no doze".

Just wondering what problems may happen if it is taken as a recreational drug for kids who just want to cram? I do have a college freshman so I like to be on the look out for all things possible he could be doing!
Also wondering if I should get some?

Sue

I'm no doctor Sue, far from it as an artist, but I can tell you that I think on the list of drugs to worry about, Adderall is about as low as it can get. I'd place it somewhere between alcohol and pot. I'm sure there are many here who will contradict this statement on principle alone. However, as a guy who has used many drugs, in many categories, for very extended periods of time, (mostly before college and my Adderall experience) and is now clean, (except for alcohol) this is not something you need to obsessivly worry about. Your son sounds like a good, smart, kid from your previous posts.

If he shows up at home for school breaks with constant bloody noses, needle marks in his arm, or many concurrent sleepless nights, then you might want to start worrying. For now, and I know it's hard, let him find his way and be there for him when he makes mistakes and needs your love and comfort. He will truly appreciate you for that and the bond will only grow stronger with time.

I wish him, and moreso you. the best in getting through this hard time in a parent/child relationship. It's all gonna be great in the end!

JB

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Same when our boys were in college. Adderall does not have as many side effects as Ritalin. Students used it for all night cram sessions.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops, forgot to mention that I was a NoDoze guy too once... I think, based on my personal experiences, that NoDoze is much more dangerous than Adderall.

Just my 2 cents of course!

JB

borntotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
No RESPONSIBLE Dr. is going to write you a script for Adderall just because you asked and you have a "focus" problem! Why in God's name would you want to take a drug that you have no idea what the side effects and long term effects are - you didn't even know the name! I'm assuming since you have a college freshman that you are at least 38. If you have gotten through life (school, maybe college, work, raising a family, etc.) so far, what makes you think you need Adderall?

You act so non-challant about this drug. It certainly is not caffene or no doze. This is a controlled substance (an amphetamine) that should only be taken by those that require it (determined by a qualified doctor). There are several different doses and there can be serious side effects that you can experience with this drug such as insomnia, nerviousness, restlessness increased heart rate, vomiting, tics, severe headaches, and mood changes. I know children and teenagers that take it because they truly have ADHD and they need it to enable them to pay attention and learn in school, but hate taking it because of the side effects (some of them pretend to take it and then throw the pill away). Funny how those that have to take it really would rather not, and those that don't need it can't wait to get their hands on it???

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think, maybe, Sue was being a little sarcastic. I know it's hard to tell on the forums sometimes, but that's the way I took it.

borntotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sue,

If you were being sarcastic, I'm sorry the lecture. It just hits a nerve when people think it's no big deal to take a prescribed narcotic as a recreational drug or "study" drug. In my opinion too many adults see it this way and I truly believe that is why most high school and college kids have that attitude.

The use of Adderall by students as a study drug has been a problem for a while and getting worse. As the previous poster suggested, if it is traced back to a prescription you were responsible for (written for you as an adult, or the adult that filled the prescription for a minor) you can be arrested and held accountable if it's stolen or your child gives it away. I'm not so sure I totally agree with that, but that's neither here nor there - just giving you the info.

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sue,

If you were being sarcastic, I'm sorry the lecture. It just hits a nerve when people think it's no big deal to take a prescribed narcotic as a recreational drug or "study" drug. In my opinion too many adults see it this way and I truly believe that is why most high school and college kids have that attitude.

The use of Adderall by students as a study drug has been a problem for a while and getting worse. As the previous poster suggested, if it is traced back to a prescription you were responsible for (written for you as an adult, or the adult that filled the prescription for a minor) you can be arrested and held accountable if it's stolen or your child gives it away. I'm not so sure I totally agree with that, but that's neither here nor there - just giving you the info.

I also took Sue's comment as a joke, but I agree with borntotravel that Adderall (or any ADHD medication) is not a drug to be taken lightly. It is a schedule II controlled substance, the highest class of controlled prescription drugs, and is highly addictive, both physically and psychologically. It has a whole host of side effects, drug interactions, and potential complications. Withdrawal can lead to even more physical and psychological problems.

I'm no doctor Sue, far from it as an artist, but I can tell you that I think on the list of drugs to worry about, Adderall is about as low as it can get. I'd place it somewhere between alcohol and pot. I'm sure there are many here who will contradict this statement on principle alone. However, as a guy who has used many drugs, in many categories, for very extended periods of time, (mostly before college and my Adderall experience) and is now clean, (except for alcohol) this is not something you need to obsessivly worry about.

I must strongly disagree with you here, based not on principle, but on my degree in pharmacy. It is highly irresponsible for anyone to say that an amphetamine is not something to worry about. In another post you said you felt that NoDoz (which is caffeine, by the way) was more dangerous than Adderall. While you did add the disclaimer that this was just your opinion, you could not be more wrong. Although caffeine is not without its own problems, it is nowhere near the issue that amphetamines are.

I understand that your intention may have been to ease the OP's mind, but the fact remains that substance abuse, whether it be legal substances, prescription drugs or illegal drugs, is an issue on college (and high school) campuses nationwide. We all hope our children will make smart decisions, but downplaying the issue doesn't help anything. Any parent trying to become informed about what our kids are potentially faced with is a smart parent.

Ok, done with my lecture. Like borntotravel, it just hit a nerve with me.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took No Doz ONCE in college, to cram for finals. I was a walking zombie for about 2-3 days - couldn't sleep, but was utterly exhausted.

Many many years later, I avoid caffeine - it still affects me badly, though not THAT badly.

I don't think I have to worry about DS taking anything - he's very level headed and has never been in the least influenced by peers (or Mom or Dad, for that matter). He also doesn't study - once something is in his head, it seems to stay there. (as in Mom, you already told me that three times....)

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for any feathers that I have ruffled with my own opinions. I was trying to simply put into perspective the lesser of many evils that can be encountered in one's college years. My point was that Aderall, while a Schedule II controlled substance, is much less of a concern than Schedule I controlled substances. (for those who don't know, Schedule I substances are drugs that are illegal in the United States such as Cocaine, Extacy, Heroin, and Crystal Meth)

Those are just a few of the drugs that I encountered on a daily basis in college, along with the less lethal drugs like Ridalin and Aderall. I was an idiot at the time and played with all of them, so, while not a pharmacist, I do have a bit of experience. I think the whole 'real life' thing holds a fair bit of credit in any application. I am just trying to help clarify the assumed severity of different substances. Adderall or Heroin? I'd rather my kid be taking Aderall.

Yes, I was trying to help ease the tension that the OP was feeling about sending her son off to college. As I said previously, he sounds like a good, smart kid and chances are she raised him well enough to stay away from all of the above.

Again, best wishes to her and her son!

JB

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for any feathers that I have ruffled with my own opinions. I was trying to simply put into perspective the lesser of many evils that can be encountered in one's college years. My point was that Aderall, while a Schedule II controlled substance, is much less of a concern than Schedule I controlled substances.

I don't know about others, but my feathers are just fine. I went to college in the late 60's, and I interpreted your post exactly as you explained in the quote above!

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about others, but my feathers are just fine. I went to college in the late 60's, and I interpreted your post exactly as you explained in the quote above!

Thanks PJ.

I was responding to sstamm's post. I was pretty sure you got where I was coming from. :whoopie:

We all have different experiences and I think that's what makes for some great and spirited conversation.

As a side note, I loved my higher education :banana: but I am also lucky to still be alive.... really! :wave: I now own a house, pay lots of taxes, and am an active member in many of my local civic associations! Go figure. Some of us do make it out alive and prosper!

Cheers!

JB

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
:( This obviously is a large issue in college. My son takes Aderall for his ADHD, and starts college next month. When going in for his medication check his doctor brought up this very issue. His advise to our son was to not even let anyone know he had he prescription much less had the drug on his person. He has found that many students will try to buy it or purchase it from those who have a prescription, and if they can't then they steal it.

We bought our son a small safe, designed mostly to keep ipods and cell phones from walking away, at Bed Bath and Beyond so he can store his ipod and cell, but mostly to store his prescription. He knows how much the prescription helps him so I am not too worried about him selling it, more about someone else stealing it.

Just one more thing to worry about. :(

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops!!

I need to ammend my previous post concerning Schedule I (Illegal in the United States) drugs.

Upon further research, I have learned that Cocaine and Crystal Meth are actually Schedule II drugs, legal if prescribed in the US.

Who Knew? Gotta find THAT doctor! Just kidding.

But to add to the Schedule I list of illegal drugs: Pot, LSD, GHB, Psilocybin, (Shrooms) Peyote, Mescaline, and last but not least,

Quoted from Wiki:

Benzylpiperazine (BZP), a synthetic drug with a slight resemblance to MDMA and stimulant effects 10 times less potent than amphetamine (though it was mistakenly said to be 10 times more addictive than amphetamine at the drug's schedule hearing).

I added this post, only because I mispoke in a previous post and wanted to set the record straight.

JB

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I promise my feathers are not ruffled! This is exactly why I posted this on TUG, I wanted to research! I wanted real life people who know about it to tell me what they think and then I can draw my own conclusions!
This was such a new thing for me, I just had never heard of it being used by kids on campuses, now I work with the elderly and I can tell you all about their meds, but I am out of touch with the younger generations behavior, since my child does not tell me this kind of stuff. That is why I have to ask all of you.
Now I will be having a chat with him about this. Thank you!! Good old keeping up on your studying beats no doze and cramming any day. I did learn that much in college. The problem was it took me a couple of years to figure that out and I hope my son learns this quicker than I did.

As far as me needing it, seriously. I do worry about my focus issues. It seems the older I get, I am 43, the harder time I have getting anything done because I am so flighty minded! I have survived thus far, but I often wonder if I do have adult attention deficit. Honest. Of course I also worry about early onset alzheimers as well, again I work with the very aged. So possibly I am just neurotic? :shrug:

Thank you all so much for your very valuable input!!!

Sue

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Adderall

If you ever have to sit in a courtroom watching your child being brought in wearing handcuffs to go before a judge for writing her own prescriptions for Adderall after having become addicted to it (misdiagnosed by two professionals as having ADD) it will break your heart and you'll recognize its dangers.

There was an article in last month's Allure Magazine about it being the drug of choice for weight loss and energy and its misuse.

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been such an eye opener for me. I truly had not heard of this until a friend told me a kid was telling her daughter about it, in a positive fashion, by the way... My current worries were pretty much limited to pot and alcohol. I am obviously out of it.... anything else you all think I need to know about the current state of affairs in colleges please let me know!

I am so thankful that you have all enlightened me so I can have a conversation about this with my son.

Thank you all so much!!!!

Sue

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as me needing it, seriously. I do worry about my focus issues. It seems the older I get, I am 43, the harder time I have getting anything done because I am so flighty minded! I have survived thus far, but I often wonder if I do have adult attention deficit. Honest. Of course I also worry about early onset alzheimers as well, again I work with the very aged. So possibly I am just neurotic? :shrug:

Rather than being related to aging, it could well be linked to all we have to do. There's just so much to keep up with - personal, job, family. The other day I was running in circles dealing with assorted problems/issues for DS, DD, and DH - never mind myself. Click here to see how a woman's brain works:
http://www.abelsweb.com/works.htm (and sorry if you find the last line insulting guys...I didn't write it and my focus here is on the diagram)

I often just take deep breaths and try to let some of the issues go. I'm not trying to belittle your focus issues - just adding a perspective that rather than you having trouble focusing, maybe there's too much on which to focus!

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another kind of drug that I am wary about is prescription painkillers (opiates).
A family member , who had an attack of severe acute pancreatitis was loaded up with them for 3 months in hospital. Obviously he got addicted and it was very ugly.
When he was going through his detox treatment, we came across a lot of poor souls like him who accidentally became addicts(a 65 year old had severe toothache, took morphine, and then did not let go, etc)
In researching that I have learnt that a lot of college kids use these drugs to get a high. And from what I have heard the effects of these are like heroin :eek:

I am definitely not looking forward to letting my 15 year old DD loose in the world

borntotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's one that may shock you, if you are not aware of it....

The fad with kids now is take prescription drugs from home (doesn't matter what it is, half the time they don't even read the bottle) and bring them to the party. Everyone at the party dumps the pills into a bowl and kids just take them throughout the party.

Personally, I find this to be the most frightening. Can you imagine? They have absolutely no idea what they are taking - sleeping pills, pain pills, amphetimines, barbituates, etc., most times more than one pill at a time mixing all of these things. This is just as bad as playing Russian Roulette. Honestly, I just don't get how some kids can be so stupid and lack basic common sense! So scarey for us parents to have to keep up on all this stuff!

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. Now I am really getting nervous. That is truly frightening that kids just take any old drug thrown together in a bowl. I sure hope and pray my son is smarter than this but we all know how teenagers minds work, or don't.

We took our boys to the Museum of Science and Industry exhibit on drug and alcohol abuse a few years back for this exact reason.Education. My boys think I am nuts. I just want them to know what the risks are to their brains and they are both proud of their brains, so hopefully this will prevent some stupid behavior. I can only hope.

Here is how neurotic I am... when my son had his knee operated on the Dr. prescribed a big bottle of vicodin. I handed them out myself and hid the bottle. I told them I did not think he needed to be tempted, because he really did like them. He really did. We talked about that a lot and how easy it would to be addicted if your pain never went away. There are still some left, this was about a year ago, of course I would have to remember where I hid them. HA!!! No, truthfully I have checked and they are still there. I suppose I just better throw them huh?

Sue