• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[August Thread] Here's a strange story!

Reaction score
Daughter Manda and her BF Ben are vacationing in San Fransisco. Rented a car, went to hotel. No parking at the hotel, you sign up for a valet service, who parks the car blocks away in a lot and brings it when you want it. Cost of $35 per day.

First morning they pick it up, seats are moved a little, and there is 60 miles on the trip computer more than there should be!

Notify valet co and hotel mgr, incident report written. Valet mgr wants to know which employee picked up car- Manda tells him that since he doesn't have his employees wear badges, she has no idea. Hotel mgr is so upset that he makes valet company not charge them for the 4 nights of parking.

Police called, advise that they can write report if desired, not that they should. After consulting with both sets of parents, they decide to leave that part up to Hertz.

How strange a story is that?

Holly

Steve

Reaction score
It's an interesting story...but not super strange if you remember the '80s movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". :)

Steve

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure the car was blocks away - at someone else apartment. Get the police report as there could be parking tickets and/or red light camera tickets.

A little surprise in mail next month or Hertz charge to their credit card would be more than a little upsetting.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Was it a fancy rental car? The kind someone would like to go joyriding in? Any damage to it?

What gives me pause, is that would be a great setup if someone wanted to commit a crime - use somebody's rental car, so anything on surveillance cameras is of someone else's car. Sneaky... :eek:

Dave

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I would have documented the incident in writing with signatures of the Hotel and Valet manager in case tickets show up. Rental companies have been known to go to extreme lengths to recover speeding or other tickets. Don't ask me how I know :annoyed: . I would not have filed a police report unless it was easy to do.

Cheers

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some insurance doesn't cover Valet Drivers since they are not listed on the rental car drivers and/or insurance.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some insurance doesn't cover Valet Drivers since they are not listed on the rental car drivers and/or insurance.

Good point! I remember reading this before. Perhaps that is why the company was upset. It does seem like a bigger reaction than I would have expected.

Yes... I too immediately thought of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. :)

Deb

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Exciting Is In The Eye Of The Beholder.

It was a Mazda 5- described to me as a mini-mini van. Nothing exciting.
LeftFront3.jpg

-- hotlinked --

I'm agitating for 1 of those as replacement for our semi-aging PT Cruiser -- will need to work on The Chief Of Staff a bit more, because she's not ready to bid farewell to the little Chrysler.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
LeftFront3.jpg

-- hotlinked --

I'm agitating for 1 of those as replacement for our semi-aging PT Cruiser -- will need to work on The Chief Of Staff a bit more, because she's not ready to bid farewell to the little Chrysler.

Looks like a toaster on wheels to me.:D

Cheers

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone had a joyride...I hope there are no repercussions for the young couple.
Connie

Reaction score
They have a copy of the incident report with valet co and hotel mgr signatures. Before letting the valet drive off with the car, Manda checked with Hertz, and valets are covered under the rental.

It's cute- thanks for posting the pic!

An episode of the Closer had a shooting done from a car left with a valet at a resturant!

They're back in Houston now, she called me when they landed at 7 a.m. this morning. They went from 70's in SF to 95 in Houston!

Holly

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heh, I guess you're not used to west coast weather. I can go from 60s to 90s by driving 20 miles.

Or just waiting a few hours. :D

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Got Your Toaster On Wheels Right Here.

Looks like a toaster on wheels to me.
jeff_scion_xb.jpg

-- hotlinked --

Not only that, we used to drive around in a car that looks like a DustBuster on wheels . . .

lumina_apv_1993.jpg

-- hotlinked --

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alan, that is a Scion, is it not? I love those cars, but buying them in Canada is very difficult. No one seems to seel them here!

Dori

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Scion xB

Alan, that is a Scion, is it not?
Scion xB, original model.

The 2nd iteration (current model) is slightly less squared off, but still very much of a toaster on wheels -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

The DustBuster on wheels is a Chevrolet Lumina APV.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our dear friends and neighbours still drive their 1992 Lumina "DustBuster" and love it.

Dori

ownsherown

TUG Member
Reaction score
LeftFront3.jpg

-- hotlinked --

I totally understand her position. I listed my 2001 PT today with only 58K miles on it.. Hate giving up my baby but I have too many darn vehicles.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Alan, that is a Scion, is it not? I love those cars, but buying them in Canada is very difficult. No one seems to seel them here!

Dori

The Scion. The only car uglier than my Element.

When the kids ask what we're driving and the response is "the ugly car" they always get in the right one. :)

Sheila

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I totally understand her position. I listed my 2001 PT today with only 58K miles on it.. Hate giving up my baby but I have too many darn vehicles.

"PT Cruiser? More like PT Barnum." -- Car & Driver (not me). :)

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Ugggggg-Leeeeeee !

The Scion. The only car uglier than my Element.
I got your Ugly Car right here.

citroen-2cv-softup.jpg

-- hotlinked --