• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SDO which units are "real seasons"?

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I remember that I saw a thread where (I think SDKath) provided some unit numbers at Sheraton Desert Oasis that where sold after Starwood had taken over (so these units are not 1-52 but real seasons like platiunum)

Does anybody have a hint which thread it was?

I have used the search function and google for nearly an hour without sucess!

Thanks!

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
weeks 1-21 and 50-52 are the platinum weeks if purchased through starwood.

if you purchased one of these weeks and then requalified it it would have a higher staroption value than the 1-52 units.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great! I saved a PDF just in case. Thank you guys for posting it. Wealth of info, as always... Katherine

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh dear moderator... :hi:

Can we put this in the owner resources sticky? This is key info. The PDF and the post with the unit numbers clearly outlined would be great to have in one place for easy reference.

Thanks,

Katherine

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
weeks 1-21 and 50-52 are the platinum weeks if purchased through starwood.

if you purchased one of these weeks and then requalified it it would have a higher staroption value than the 1-52 units.

If the deed says, in part, "week 13", can you conclude that it is a plat?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the deed says, in part, "week 13", can you conclude that it is a plat?

Well, it's complicated. Here is the deal the way I see it:

If it is 1-52, it was purchased from Embassy (before Starwood took over in about 2001) and therefore it is 1-52. Your unit could be deeded a week in platinum season (like 13) BUT it has no more advantage than one that is week41 because they are all 1-52. If you are looking for a great II trader, grab one of these older units that are "floating" and try to buy one that is deeded into a good week so that when you call Starwood to deposit it into II, they will deposit a great trader for you. Yes, they HAVE to deposit your deeded week as we just learned. One caveat: if you are looking to retro/requal one of these weeks, it is only worth 81,000 SOs no matter what week it is deeded! Yes, even a platinum deeded week will retro only for 81,000 SOs.

If it is a true 3 season unit (sold by Starwood), the mystarcentral for the owner will say 1-21 as the owner's season and it will be deeded into one of these weeks. Only the true platinums will be retro'd as 148,100 SOs. Soooo, if you are NOT looking to retro/requal a unit, it is not important if the unit is 1-52 or true 3 season.

One thing to avoid is a true 3 season unit that is NOT platinum. If you buy a gold or silver deeded week, you are not ever gonna be able to go during the Spring nor will you be able to trade it during that time. So it is WAY better to own a 1-52 deeded into summer or fall rather than a true 3 season deeded into summer or fall.

Overall, your best bet is to find a week that is in the Platinum season in either case, to avoid the confusion of getting stuck with a property you can only visit when it's 110 degrees!

Hope that makes things clear as mud. Katherine

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score

If it is 1-52, it was purchased from Embassy (before Starwood took over in about 2001) and therefore it is 1-52. Your unit could be deeded a week in platinum season (like 13) BUT it has no more advantage than one that is week41 because they are all 1-52. If you are looking for a great II trader, grab one of these older units that are "floating" and try to buy one that is deeded into a good week so that when you call Starwood to deposit it into II, they will deposit a great trader for you. Yes, they HAVE to deposit your deeded week as we just learned. One caveat: if you are looking to retro/requal one of these weeks, it is only worth 81,000 SOs no matter what week it is deeded! Yes, even a platinum deeded week will retro only for 81,000 SOs.

If it is a true 3 season unit (sold by Starwood), the mystarcentral for the owner will say 1-21 as the owner's season and it will be deeded into one of these weeks. Only the true platinums will be retro'd as 148,100 SOs. Soooo, if you are NOT looking to retro/requal a unit, it is not important if the unit is 1-52 or true 3 season.

One thing to avoid is a true 3 season unit that is NOT platinum. If you buy a gold or silver deeded week, you are not ever gonna be able to go during the Spring nor will you be able to trade it during that time. So it is WAY better to own a 1-52 deeded into summer or fall rather than a true 3 season deeded into summer or fall.

Overall, your best bet is to find a week that is in the Platinum season in either case, to avoid the confusion of getting stuck with a property you can only visit when it's 110 degrees!

Thanks, Kath. I conlude from your comments that you really need to know not only the week but also the unit number. When I purchased my SDO units, I was not aware of the significance of the distinction of the units ancestry. I have, as it turned out, one of each. Still looking for a ey 2bdrm plat.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are planning to buy SDO to trade via II, you really only care about the week it is deeded. High season is the Spring so that's what I would look for. I have one of each too! My floater I use to trade via II and my platinum I retro'd for 148,000 SOs. That was a hard one to find!

K

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I am "clear as mud on this". I am still in escrow on my new purchase of a 2 br L/O odd yr wk 1-21, 50-52 at SDO. (The closing co verified it floats those wks as advertised) Just want to clarify w/someone more knowledgeable--if I choose to deposit, Starwood would have to deposit one of the wks in my season?? They could not deposit a July week as I only own wks 1-21--correct???? thanx, Dawn--soon to be a SDO owner:wave:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, they HAVE to deposit your deeded week as we just learned.

Hi Kath - I have been gone all day so I must have missed something. How/where did we just learn that they have to deposit your deeded week? (BTW - my deeded week at SDO is week 52! :D )

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you can do is find out which "company" you purchased under (and I don't mean Embassy or Starwood). I am referring to Condo companies. There are two of them....

Condo Company 47 units are all sold as one season 1-52. If you only use at SDO this is great because you are not challenged with StarOptions concerns for any week of the year.

Condo Company 49 units are sold as the three seasons Platinum, Gold and Silver. Starwood changed to this because in reality there are three seasons at this property and it allowed them to have more price points for sales....as opposed to one season and three difference unit types.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are a wealth of Starwood info! I hope you join TUG and stick around. :D Katherine

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
okay, bear with me here cause i'm confused..
lets's say i purchase resale at SDO a week that floats 1-52.. now that means i can make a reservation for ANY of the weeks in the year correct?(and of course if it's available) other question is.. am i limited to a particular LOCATION/BUILDING at the resort??
THANKS

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that Starwood is getting too involved with where the location of your stay will be regardless of the specific unit you occupy and the "company" it was registered under. At this property as you know, there are'nt any views etc such as KOR or HRA.

You are correct with your understanding that if you bought into the one-season company 47, you have access to all 52 weeks of the year up to 12 months in advance; however, from a StarOption standpoint, and going outside of your home resort, you will have 81,000 StarOptions to use versus 148,100 StarOptions even if your deeded week is #5.

Does that make sense?

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having flashbacks of when I worked at Starwood.....both the Sheraton Desert Oasis and Sheraton Broadway plantation were Embassy resorts.

We acquired these properties and literally over night....12/31 to 1/1 (I believe the year was 2000) we had to service about 30,000 new owners (probabaly more).

dr.debs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Kath-

Do you mean, when you call starwood to deposit/lockoff etc to II you can ask and expect to get them to deposit your deeded week? mine is Week 14 (if the unit ever records!). Can you ask them to deposit it, even if the deeded week date has passed?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kath-

Do you mean, when you call starwood to deposit/lockoff etc to II you can ask and expect to get them to deposit your deeded week? mine is Week 14 (if the unit ever records!). Can you ask them to deposit it, even if the deeded week date has passed?

Yes and no. I have been told (and have successfully deposited) my deeded weeks by asking for a supervisor and then asking them to "create" a week to deposit into II. I have done this will SDO and Falls. I know for a fact that your deposited week SHOULD be deposited if you ask. I am less sure if a week you reserve outside of your deeded week would "hate to" be deposited by the rules governing SDO.

BY the way, once you retro a unit, you are giving up that control over your week as you are now part of SVN. They can deposit whatever they want after that.

Not sure how depositing a past week would work. Maybe someone else knows more about that.

Katherine

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Does anyone have a Gold SDO? I was wondering how that would trade. I noticed on the Interval demand chart that some fall and summer weeks are in demand during those seasons. I just wondered how one would trade?

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having flashbacks of when I worked at Starwood.....both the Sheraton Desert Oasis and Sheraton Broadway plantation were Embassy resorts.

Wecome James1975NY!

Soo, anyway . . . . um, regarding that whole working for SVO thing . . .. Is there any chance you would be willing to answer a question or two about that?

-nodge

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Wecome James1975NY!

Soo, anyway . . . . um, regarding that whole working for SVO thing . . .. Is there any chance you would be willing to answer a question or two about that?

-nodge

nodge...there will be no water boarding on this board! :D