• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kierland resale price question?

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
After I got other tuggers' advice (for Harborside), I think buying other "mandatory" resort which has lower MF would be smarter choice. And I searched resale market, inquired to many sellers, and today, I got an offer from a seller (broker) for 1BR premium unit, platinum season (81,000 staroption) float, annual usage in westin kierland for $12,000. Do you think it is a good price? I saw e-bay sold history in "sticky", and the similar units were sold around $10,000 couple months ago.
Should I ask more discount? It is the first purchase for starwood TS, and I am a little nervous about the price from a broker. My Hilton and worldmark were from individual sellers through ebay and those were below market prices, even lower than ebay market. Any comment on this price? Thank you!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those 81,000 SO units are VERY hard to find! However, I think the usual price is less than that ($10-11k) so if you don't need it right away, I would keep looking. Of course you could counteroffer at $10,500 for example and see what they say. :)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'd offer $500 less than I was willing to pay to see if the seller will meet you half way.

The seller may think that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
After I got other tuggers' advice (for Harborside), I think buying other "mandatory" resort which has lower MF would be smarter choice.

Are you saying that you are going to buy at WKV to exchange into Harborside? Harborside can be a tough exchange - what week or season would you normally want to go to Harborside?

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am already in the process of renting Harborside for summer 2009 from another tugger. Even though I am flexible for vacation season, I always want to buy Platinum week for the maximum flexibility and value. Harborside platinum is much more expensive than other starwood resorts (for same platinum season), and MF is too high. Like other tuggers said, if I don't use it at least every other year, and internal exchange is in my mind, it is better not to buy harborside?
I booked Westin Lagunamar in November through II exchange, and if I like that place, I would love to do internal exchange to that resort (if I purchase kierland). I live in Baltimore, Maryland area, so Harborside, Lagunamar and Orlando are the top locations for internal exchange to me. For these locations, it doesn't have to be platinum season. Thank you for any comment!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As an resale owner of two resale 81K SOs (1Bd - Plat/Prem) at WKV - and was the unofficial tracker of these units (started the eBay sale thread, but couldn't keep up) - $12K is actually a fair market price. Yes - a couple have sold for less than $12K, but many have sold for $12K and more (non-eBay).

Maybe with the economy sucking - they could take less, and you should offer less - but do not be surprised if they balk.

I often say - to those on the West Coast - that resale WKV offers a great balance of SVO resale ownership (low MFs - Mandatory SVN). It is a great resort on it's own, and offers a great ability for exchanging into most SVO resorts (except HRA and WSJ) - and likely all if you can plan a vacation on short notice (and keep calling).

I do not know if I would buy WKV living on the East Coast.

Best.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
And another reason I am considering buying platinum season, 1 BR premium unit is, it has 81,000 SO and MF is around $700 (cheaper than 2BR). And with 81,000 SO, I can go to other starwood resorts in gold season, 2BR, because it is also 81,000 SO. Am I correct? If I am wrong, I have to think about it again. Thank you!
==============================================
Dave and Robin, we were writing at the same time :)
Yes, I can see that great value from westin kierland. Low MF, great resort, exchange ability in SVN.
But if you worry about my location (in east coast), I will think about it again, thank you!

Last edited:

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an resale owner of two resale 81K SOs (1Bd - Plat/Prem) at WKV - and was the unofficial tracker of these units (started the eBay sale thread, but couldn't keep up) - $12K is actually a fair market price. Yes - a couple have sold for less than $12K, but many have sold for $12K and more (non-eBay)

I agree with DavidnRobin. 12k is a fair price, not knowing what your related acquisition expenses will be.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yes, I can see that great value from westin kierland. Low MF, great resort, exchange ability in SVN.
But if you worry about my location (in east coast), I will think about it again, thank you!

You could consider the Mandatory resorts in Florida for same reason - low cost and low MFs (relatively) - and closer. We can (and do) drive from SF to Scottsdale (~10 hr) - may fly with gas prices, but the point is not to have to depend on flights. Of course - I would rather be kicked in the leg - than go to Orlando (but it is just the 2 of us - kids are in their 20s).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI, SVV 81,000 SO units that are mandatory are going for about $6500-$7000 now on eBay. Maintenance fees are about the same, maybe slightly more.

I would take WKV over SVV but I live in CA and love Phoenix.

Katherine

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
And another reason I am considering buying platinum season, 1 BR premium unit is, it has 81,000 SO and MF is around $700 (cheaper than 2BR). And with 81,000 SO, I can go to other starwood resorts in gold season, 2BR, because it is also 81,000 SO. Am I correct? If I am wrong, I have to think about it again. Thank you!
==============================================

I was just in Orlando stayed at Sheraton Vistana Villiages newer section and it was very nice the room and resort. You need to decide if Orlando is somewhere you would like to go. In Orlando you are 45 minutes from Coco Beach, we went there and it is very nice, you are 90 minutes from Vero Beach (both east coast side). So from Orlando you can really do alot of things there's water parks, Disney Parks, Universal, Seaworld, Shopping galore, night life at Citystreets and Downtown Disney as well as many other locales, golf, lakes, etc.. if you can not find something to do there you can always go to the Beach as mentioned earler.

I would not discount Orlando at all. :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Like other tuggers said, if I don't use it at least every other year, and internal exchange is in my mind, it is better not to buy harborside?

Buying resale at another mandatory resort would be cheaper - but I don't want you to think the exchanging is an automatic thing. For instance, if you need to go during the school holidays, exchanging may be difficult with some resorts, like Harborside.

I booked Westin Lagunamar in November through II exchange, and if I like that place, I would love to do internal exchange to that resort (if I purchase kierland). I live in Baltimore, Maryland area, so Harborside, Lagunamar and Orlando are the top locations for internal exchange to me. For these locations, it doesn't have to be platinum season. Thank you for any comment!

If your top 3 are Harborside, Lagunamar and Orlando - maybe you should consider a mandatory resale in Orlando. It would make more sense to have your home resort be one that you want to visit regularly. Note that Staroptions are not more valuable because they come from a popular resort. In the Starwood exchange system 81K Staroptions have the same exact trading value no matter what resort they come from.

However, personally, if I really wanted to be sure I could go to Harborside and always get the week I wanted, I would buy the exact resale week I wanted at Harborside and maybe buy an every other year deed. Then I'd buy an EOY deed for Orlando to use or exchange. I am a big fan of buying where and when you want to go. Plus, at Harborside, I would want to be an owner, so I would have priority to request a good location/view.

Have you read the Starwood FAQ at the top of the page? This is how reservations work: At 12 mos. out owners can make a reservation at their home resort. At 8 mos. out exchangers can try for an exchange - if there is availability left. Orlando should be an easy exchange, and I think Lagunamar will be too, but Harborside will be the most difficult of the 3 you mentioned.

Last edited:

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
I contacted one broker recently who said she had a waiting list of several people willing to pay up to $13K for a WKV 1 BR Premium Platinum unit. So, $12K sounds like a good price.
Doug

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I contacted one broker recently who said she had a waiting list of several people willing to pay up to $13K for a WKV 1 BR Premium Platinum unit.

Hmmmm....I'd take that with a grain of salt...

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that you should counter offer and pursue the deal that you have on the table.

$12k is a good deal. Also, yes, you may be able to find 81,000 StarOptions at the Vistana Villages, but this would be a two bedroom ownership and your maintenance fees would be higher.

I concur with Denise. Harborside is a BEAST to get into, but if you are not planning on going to this property more than 2/3 out of every 5 years, it is not worth the maintenance fees to own at this property.

St. John has to be the hardest resort to get into by far.

You are asking very good questions. Good luck! :clap:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In the 2+ years I was tracking WKV on eBay - I believe only two 81K SO 1Bd (Plat/Prem) have shown up and sold for less than $12K. Actually it may have only been one - and the other cheap one was on a TS resale website.

They are not easy to come by at a price less than $12K, and many are offered for more.

A good person to ask about this are the folks at SmartChoice - they may give you an idea of the inventory over the last couple of years. I bought one thru them. The owner wanted $13.5K - I offered $12.5K - they countered with $14K (lol) - I said no. I couple of months went by w/o it being sold - I reoffered $12K - and they said yes. I finally found another one over a year later since I wanted 2. One to use, and one for exchanging.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that you should counter offer and pursue the deal that you have on the table.

$12k is a good deal. Also, yes, you may be able to find 81,000 StarOptions at the Vistana Villages, but this would be a two bedroom ownership and your maintenance fees would be higher.

I concur with Denise. Harborside is a BEAST to get into, but if you are not planning on going to this property more than 2/3 out of every 5 years, it is not worth the maintenance fees to own at this property.

St. John has to be the hardest resort to get into by far.

You are asking very good questions. Good luck! :clap:

hi, james, welcome to TUG . do you own any starwood resorts and where do you own? you sound like you have been around a while.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not know if I would buy WKV living on the East Coast.

And yet I own two weeks at Kierland that work very well for us.

Also, I will point out that it is a shorter distance from Baltimore to Scottsdale, then California to Hawaii.

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok....Lots and lots of stuff going on in this thread.

First, $12k is a fair price for WKV. If $12k was the first offer, then counter offer. The worse thing that will happen is they will say no.

Second, as motioned above, we own two WKV units and find them extremely useful with internal Staroption exchanges or using within II. The resort is great and we will go back again one day, but is probably the most flexible resort to own and use.

Third, using Staroptions for internal exchanges is not as easy as Starwood makes it sound. Harborside in the summer is extremely difficult, especially late most of June, July and most of August. We have had success the past two years, but this year we were sweating it. So we bought a gold season unit at Harborside to avoid not getting the week we want. I will say that September is a very easy exchange into Harborside.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
And yet I own two weeks at Kierland that work very well for us.

Also, I will point out that it is a shorter distance from Baltimore to Scottsdale, then California to Hawaii.

and much shorter than SF to STJ...

while we love Scottsdale and the surrounds - and the resort - Baseball Spring Training - and my folks live close by (gotta take up golf)... Scottsdale is no HI - but if we lived on the East Coast (...nope) we would own WKV over SVV (actually wouldn't own SVV at all - for us) and we would own WSJ and HRA over HI (unless I had at least 2 weeks of WKORV OF). Actually - I would not own HI unless I own we owned OF. The WPORV works bc it's EOY(odd)

resale WKV for west-coasters (and BasFans, lovers of pools/sun, food, and high desert) it is a good buy - if you are into SVO TSs

frb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanging from WKV to Harborside or St. John

It sounds like trading my WKV 81,000 2BR for either Harborside (2BR) or St. John (2BR) for one of the weeks from 31 -34 (August 2009) or the week of June 13 is pretty remote. What about my chances for a 1 BR premium. What about getting into Lagunamar. May be somewhat easier since it just opened?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like trading my WKV 81,000 2BR for either Harborside (2BR) or St. John (2BR) for one of the weeks from 31 -34 (August 2009) or the week of June 13 is pretty remote. What about my chances for a 1 BR premium. What about getting into Lagunamar. May be somewhat easier since it just opened?

I would say that weeks 33 and 34 are possible, since you are getting more into the Huricance season. Plus alot of schools have started back either the second or third week of August, which helps. Call at 9am, exactly at 8 months and be open to a Fri/Sat or Sun arrival. Also, the first two weeks of June are more likely to have availability because of the kids still in school.

I expect Lagunamar to be easy the first couple years. Once sales pickup and and available inventory is taken by owners, it could get more difficult. But
I don't think it will be on HRA or WSJ or Maui level of difficulty.

One thing that I am not sure of is how adding the Vistana Resort, Beach Club and others this year into the Starwood system is going to impact the 8 month exchanging mark on the other Starwood resorts.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
and much shorter than SF to STJ...

while we love Scottsdale and the surrounds - and the resort - Baseball Spring Training - and my folks live close by (gotta take up golf)... Scottsdale is no HI - but if we lived on the East Coast (...nope) we would own WKV over SVV (actually wouldn't own SVV at all - for us) and we would own WSJ and HRA over HI (unless I had at least 2 weeks of WKORV OF). Actually - I would not own HI unless I own we owned OF. The WPORV works bc it's EOY(odd)

resale WKV for west-coasters (and BasFans, lovers of pools/sun, food, and high desert) it is a good buy - if you are into SVO TSs

Just wanted to bust on you David. Your post made it appear that it was good for West Coast, but not East Coast owners. For trading and Staroptions, KIerland is the best. I will definately say that owning direct at WSJ and HRA is a must, unless you travel during off-season (Sept-Oct).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just wanted to bust on you David. Your post made it appear that it was good for West Coast, but not East Coast owners. For trading and Staroptions, KIerland is the best. I will definately say that owning direct at WSJ and HRA is a must, unless you travel during off-season (Sept-Oct).

But Tom, the OP lives on the East Coast and said he is mainly interested in Orlando, Harborside and Cancun - he didn't mention wanting to visit WKV. If he's not that interested in going there, do you still think it's a good choice for his home resort?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It's almost always easier to get a 1 bdm. than a 2 bdm.

Lagunamar should always be an easier exchange than Harborside or WSJ. Even though Lagunamar appears to be a beautiful resort, and it's new, there are lots of timeshares in Cancun and lots of availability. Not so for Harborside or WSJ.