• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kierland resale price question?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Tom, the OP lives on the East Coast and said he is mainly interested in Orlando, Harborside and Cancun - he didn't mention wanting to visit WKV. If he's not that interested in going there, do you still think it's a good choice for his home resort?

Yup! The way I read the post was that they are considering WKV for Staroptions and as a trader via II. WKV delivers both. I think the OP needs to understand what and when they can trade/exchange in Starwood and II, and what their chances are of being successful.

Katherine owns how many weeks in Orlando/Florida? They live in San Diego and own Disney, so why bother? For her it was lowest upfront cost to get 5* for life, Staroptions/Starpoints and weeks to use and trade.

My first Starwood was Kierland and so was my second. I probably live about 30 miles away from the OP. I can tell from my 3 years of ownership, I have gotten alot of bang for the buck out of my Kierland weeks.

Here is the breakdown of my Kierland usage. Three II exchanges into Disney(2-two bedrroms, 1-one bedroom), 1 three bedroom at HRA, 2 two bedroom l/o at HRA, 3 premium one bedrooms at HRA, 3 deluxe one bedrooms at HRA, 1 premium one bedroom at Kierland and II trade into a two bedroom at WKORV.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am not that up on SVV, but if there are no plans to stay at WKV - why not buy SVV for the same reasons?

Now with the ability to for the other FLA resorts to enter SVN and the ability to combine resale SOs (supposedly) - couldn't the same be done with these resorts (cheaper cost and MFs)?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not that up on SVV, but if there are no plans to stay at WKV - why not buy SVV for the same reasons?

Now with the ability to for the other FLA resorts to enter SVN and the ability to combine resale SOs (supposedly) - couldn't the same be done with these resorts (cheaper cost and MFs)?

First, its Orlando...terrible trader. Second, Kierland is the cheapest Staroption to Maintence fees. WKV is 148,100 SO, SVV is 95,700 SO ...... both are plat 2 bedroom l/o ..... WKV mf is $1044, SVV mf is $1225. All of the Florida Mf's are higher then Kierland.

Kierland is Mandatory, not all SVV is Madatory. The new SO combining rule would not apply to the OP, unless he bought Mandatory section of SVV or bought from the developer. Since his purchases would be now, he could buy SVV mandatory phase, for about $8-11k (depending is he went for the 81k or 95k SO week).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ on the Orlando traders. I have Falls week 52 AND week 29 and they have traded phenomenally well. They are 2BR but have seen every sighting from Starwood and every other quality resort easily (Marriott, Aviara, etc). I think an off season Orlando resort is a bad trader but get peak times and you are golden.

I am also happy I deposited my week 52 Falls into II. They DID give me that week to deposit (I insisted and would not get off till they did) and I traded it for WKORV next Spring. :whoopie: Well worth the $500 I paid for the unit on eBay.

My week 29 traded for Lagunamar. :whoopie: :whoopie:

Cannot complain! Katherine

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you!

I got so much good information regarding WKV and SVV, it was very educational question for me!
I am not "he", I am "she" :)
I have 3 kids, so I don't mind own a TS in Orlando, but if I buy something in Orlando, I would buy DVC, not SVV :)
I also don't mind visiting WKV, I love Arizona - both Tucson and Phoenix area. I checked flights yesterday, from Baltimore to Phoenix, and some flights are around $200/person. It is VERY good price!
I put counter offer to seller yesterday (for WKV) and they rejected it :(

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I got so much good information regarding WKV and SVV, it was very educational question for me!
I am not "he", I am "she" :)
I have 3 kids, so I don't mind own a TS in Orlando, but if I buy something in Orlando, I would buy DVC, not SVV :)
I also don't mind visiting WKV, I love Arizona - both Tucson and Phoenix area. I checked flights yesterday, from Baltimore to Phoenix, and some flights are around $200/person. It is VERY good price!
I put counter offer to seller yesterday (for WKV) and they rejected it :(

Did they counter - or just say they were not coming down?

If you are patient - you can maybe find one for as low as $10.5K, but they are rare - depends on your time horizon. We paid $12K... I know of others that sold for more and a few that sold for less - we are happy and are using.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our last resale purchase (HRA), I called/emailed out about 15 offers. Only one was willing to negotiate, which ended up being the one we bought. Two of the resellers that rejected my offer contacted me about three weeks later willing to deal......to late. Also, the last resale was advertised by the owner, which helped in getting the lower price. No commission fees to worry about.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
correct - i waited about 3 months - saved $500, but got usage in about 2 months after closing

listed $13.5K on smartchoice - offered $12.5K they countered higher than $13.5K (lol) - i declined and waited - and then when i still saw it listed - i offered $12K - and they accepted (i don't know if they knew it was me on both offers)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
good listings - it amazes me that so many owners are not aware of what they own. doesn't look as if any are 81k plat/prem for a low price - most are overvalued.

when we bought our 2nd from stroman (also has many) - the seller wanted $22k {seriously...} - they paid around $19k from svo. stroman said make offer since they were doing a 'make offer' on any ts sale. i did at $12k (saying that was what i paid before) - and they took it. about 3 weeks later - one sold for $10.5k... lol {after looking for a year...}

i am ok with it - wish we waited, but that is how it goes - i had been looking for a while

same thing happened with our 1st ts - paid $5k too much for our wkorv of dlx, but almost $20k less than our rescinded wkorvn of contract from svo

the wheels on the bus goes round and round...

ps - typing in small caps in sympathy with denisem

Last edited:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Using the DH's handy-dandy options valuation spreadsheet, 12K for 81K SO at WKV, assuming $700 MFs, is a pretty good deal. (Gotta get him to increase the MFs annually to be more representative in his discounted cash flow analysis, then it will probably be ready for prime time.) Sorry they didn't take the counter offer.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
hi, james, welcome to TUG . do you own any starwood resorts and where do you own? you sound like you have been around a while.

Currently, I do not own any weeks with SVO. I was emplyed with them for many years and I am still in the vacation ownership industry (going on 10 years).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Currently, I do not own any weeks with SVO. I was emplyed with them for many years and I am still in the vacation ownership industry (going on 10 years).

Hi again James - we welcome your expertise! I don't think we've ever had a former SW employee post here. It's GREAT to have you here! :hi:

Woodies - while you are welcome to try and pick Jim's brain about Starwood (as much as he is willing! :D ) if you want to ask about his current business affiliations you should take it to email/pm to avoid putting him in an awkward position, because he can't post that info. in the forums. - Thanks!