• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Any suggestions for Easter brunch?

Thank you. I should have mentioned that guest will be at Monarch so looking for other end of the Island.
You could give Sea Pines Beach Club, and/or Quarterdeck a call to see if they plan to do anything special for Easter. One right next door to Monarch....the other close.

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great beaches is very subjective. Their beaches are hardpack sand and very wide at low tide with a shallow entry, so it's great for kids. Waves are generally a little less rough than some other vacation places. You can check water temps online, but it's the Atlantic so it's seasonal. Once you get to the summer it's bath water.

HHI is a pretty laid back vibe, so no boardwalks or amusement parks or some of things you'd see in an Ocean City, MD or Myrtle Beach. No high-rises. Plenty of mini-golf and the bike paths are fantastic. There are a bunch of historical sites on the island and nearby communities like Blufton and Beaufort, plus Savannah is only an hour away.

We've just dipped our toes into the water there with about 5-6 visits so far, but it's already in my top MVC destinations.
Thank you

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How far in advance can I make reservations at Jazz Corner, and perhaps Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse? We will be a party of 4, maybe 6 adults.

TIA
Dee
Jazz Corner doesn't show their calendar that far out, so if you want a certain performer you need to wait. For a while they were only taking reservations out a month or two. I would call to see what the current policy is. I've never seen Cowboy to that busy. They use opentable.com. You can go look to see what's available for the next two months.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Jazz Corner doesn't show their calendar that far out, so if you want a certain performer you need to wait. For a while they were only taking reservations out a month or two. I would call to see what the current policy is. I've never seen Cowboy to that busy. They use opentable.com. You can go look to see what's available for the next two months.
One thing I learned about OpenTable regarding their pricing is that if you go through the restaurant website to make the reservation, the restaurant pays a lower fee than if you go directly to OpenTable. It isn't a lot dollar wise, but I understand if they reserve directly through open table the restaurant has to pay $1 per guest vs through the restaurant website it is $0.25 per guest.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
How far in advance can I make reservations at Jazz Corner, and perhaps Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse? We will be a party of 4, maybe 6 adults.

TIA
Dee

If you want to go to Jazz Corner on Sunday night for Deas Guys, you should plan to make reservations well in advance. Sundays usually book up as much as 2 months out. Other nights, generally a few weeks out can work, if you are flexible on your night. No online reservations any more, so you have to call. If you call and no one answers, they generally have a recording telling you how far out reservations have already been booked and generally what their availability is. They have two shows nightly, the first has seating times for dinner between around 5pm and 6 or so. The second show starts seating at around 8pm and the show starts at 9pm.

I'll also add that the shows are very similar from week to week on Sunday-Thursday nights. Sunday is usually Deas Guys, Monday is usually the Martin Lesch Band, Tuesday is Fat Tuesdays with New Orleans style jazz, Wednesday alternates between Lavon Stevens/Quiana Parler and the Bobby Ryder band on alternating weeks, and Thursdays are usually Lavon Stevens/Louise Spencer. Friday and Saturday performers change every week with a wide variety of local and national acts.

Last edited:

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
What is everyones favorite Mexican place on the Island or in Bluffton? We love Santa Fe (though not really Mexican) and plan to go there again. Tried San Miquel and it was good. Holy Tequlia was just okay. Might try Aunt Chiladas next trip.

Slight off topic: best grocery to get some steaks to cook back at the MGO grills? Or, should I bring some with us from Costco?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What is everyones favorite Mexican place on the Island or in Bluffton? We love Santa Fe (though not really Mexican) and plan to go there again. Tried San Miquel and it was good. Holy Tequlia was just okay. Might try Aunt Chiladas next trip.
Will any place really be Mexican? Are you looking more for Tex-Mex?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Slight off topic: best grocery to get some steaks to cook back at the MGO grills? Or, should I bring some with us from Costco?
Quite a few options in Bluffton…..

Reactions: jme

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score

Harris Teeter and Kroger will have the best prices on steak, but it is tied to what's on sale. HT, for example rotates through filet, porterhouse, NY strip, and ribeye. One is deeply discounted each week while the others remain expensive. The sale prices are better than Costco. HT sells both select (Rancher) and choice (Angus). If you like other cuts (sirloin, hanger, flap, cap) go with Costco.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Harris Teeter and Kroger will have the best prices on steak, but it is tied to what's on sale. HT, for example rotates through filet, porterhouse, NY strip, and ribeye. One is deeply discounted each week while the others remain expensive. The sale prices are better than Costco. HT sells both select (Rancher) and choice (Angus). If you like other cuts (sirloin, hanger, flap, cap) go with Costco.

When we are at our condo on HHI, we get our steaks at the Whole Foods in Shelter Cove. They are our go-to steak both at home in Charlotte and on HHI. Their filets are the best and most tender filets we have found at a grocery store.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to go to Jazz Corner on Sunday night for Deas Guys, you should plan to make reservations well in advance. Sundays usually book up as much as 2 months out. Other nights, generally a few weeks out can work, if you are flexible on your night. No online reservations any more, so you have to call. If you call and no one answers, they generally have a recording telling you how far out reservations have already been booked and generally what their availability is. They have two shows nightly, the first has seating times for dinner between around 5pm and 6 or so. The second show starts seating at around 8pm and the show starts at 9pm.

I'll also add that the shows are very similar from week to week on Sunday-Thursday nights. Sunday is usually Deas Guys, Monday is usually the Martin Lesch Band, Tuesday is Fat Tuesdays with New Orleans style jazz, Wednesday alternates between Lavon Stevens/Quiana Parler and the Bobby Ryder band on alternating weeks, and Thursdays are usually Lavon Stevens/Louise Spencer. Friday and Saturday performers change every week with a wide variety of local and national acts.
Fantastic information! Thank you. Any other suggestions for a comparable dining experience? (Food, not so much the type of entertainment ). We’ve been to Jazz corner before and while we very much enjoyed everything about it, we are thinking something we’ve never tried might be in order this time around.

Thanks,
Dee

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dee, there are a lot of places that have live music. When you get to HHI, just grab a couple of the advertisement magazines, and you will find ads and sections about live music. When the weather is good you can guarantee music at places like Black Marlin that have outdoor decks.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dee, there are a lot of places that have live music. When you get to HHI, just grab a couple of the advertisement magazines, and you will find ads and sections about live music. When the weather is good you can guarantee music at places like Black Marlin that have outdoor decks.
Thank you

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Fantastic information! Thank you. Any other suggestions for a comparable dining experience? (Food, not so much the type of entertainment ). We’ve been to Jazz corner before and while we very much enjoyed everything about it, we are thinking something we’ve never tried might be in order this time around.

Thanks,
Dee

You did mention in your post that the entertainment factor was not so much the requirement here, but that you were interested in a "similar dining experience" as to the food.
That decision as to which other spot to choose would be up to you as you evaluate each one individually, as they are all just as unique as the Jazz Corner.
And of course each place has its own menu.
But as to the similar high quality of food, service, and ambiance, I will offer my help.

I believe that Hilton Head is as fine a dining destination for its size as anyplace we've been, and that includes a lot of big cities around the country.
They are not Michelin 3-star restaurants as in NYC or Paris, but they are excellent for our needs at Hilton Head.
(We have been to NYC and Paris, and more, but those ultra high-end places are not exactly what we typically seek out.)

The restaurants listed are wonderful, and picked from among the +/- 250 restaurants on or near the island (example, Bluffton).
So, to help fellow visitors and friends, I created a vast & varied list of great establishments at Hilton Head, which is the reason and original intent behind this thread.
The list has existed (and has been updated occasionally) for several years now. It's very thorough, so I'm sure you'll be pleased with the high quality
(and quantity) of dining available.

Except for a couple of new additions not yet added since my last update (due to TUG logistics), those additions will be forthcoming when I can get to it.
Those two spots are not likely to add a lot because the rest of the list is quite sufficient.

This endeavor of the Restaurant Guide required a lot of time and research. I have included descriptions, websites, and links of various sorts
for each and every restaurant I considered worthy. I have also added a few personal remarks that I deemed contributory.
Frankly, imho, there is no greater resource anywhere for making decisions regarding dining at Hilton Head,
so you really need to put in a little time on this using the restaurant list, and visit the linked websites and examine the menus, etc.

If you Google a restaurant, before you go to their website, there is always a clickable "Photos" at top right....I love to see photos....it tells a lot about a place.

Best of luck, and enjoy.

See Posts #670 and #671

Based on your question, I might suggest the following: (there are more, but these are enough to get you through a week, LOL)
Sage Room, Charlie's L'Etoile Verte, The Studio, Sea Grass Grille, Crane's Tavern, Ela's, RedFish, and Catch 22.
....and for a vibrant and fun bistro-type experience, May River Grill in nearby Bluffton.

All are awesome.........

Last edited:

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will enjoy looking into each mentioned, as well as those mentioned in the thread almost as much as I will enjoy the dining experiences.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Marty,

Thanks again for your help. After looking through 670 and 671 and checking out reviews, and websites, locations and photos, the first thing I booked (so far) is Vine. I really want to try it and I like where it's located.

The Sage Room will probably be my next reservation and Ela's on the Water. Besides these fine dining options, my husband is interested in Cowboy Brazilian and I didn't see it in your posts. I probably missed it somewhere in my searching. Do you have an opinion on it? We will also probably go to Frankie Bones, one of our favorites, and One Hot Mama's (I love the chocolate ribs and margaritas). Your help is greatly appreciated. We are in HH once to twice a year and the food and the beaches are highlights for us.

TIA
Dee

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that redfish isn't available at Santa Fe and some other restaurants on the island currently. Santa Fe replaced it with Blackened Mahi Mahi and it isn't nearly as good as their redfish. I hope they are able to get another redfish supplier soon.

I'd like to add Bella Italia to the pizza recommendations. We had one of the best white pizzas we've ever eaten. It is in the shopping plaza near Planet Fitness on Matthews and convenient to Surf Watch. We've only eaten carryout and I've read reviews saying that onsite dining may suffer a little due to staffing issues. I only wish Bella Italia and Giuseppe's weren't both closed on Monday nights.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I noticed that redfish isn't available at Santa Fe and some other restaurants on the island currently. Santa Fe replaced it with Blackened Mahi Mahi and it isn't nearly as good as their redfish. I hope they are able to get another redfish supplier soon.

I'd like to add Bella Italia to the pizza recommendations. We had one of the best white pizzas we've ever eaten. It is in the shopping plaza near Planet Fitness on Matthews and convenient to Surf Watch. We've only eaten carryout and I've read reviews saying that onsite dining may suffer a little due to staffing issues. I only wish Bella Italia and Giuseppe's weren't both closed on Monday nights.

Redfish is hard to get right now, and not a single restaurant is able to get any. Food items are this way sometimes.
Redfish has been the "Blackened Catch of the Day" at Santa Fe going on four+ years now. Since the lack of availability, the Chef has chosen Mahi as the special.
My good friend Bill (Superchief) and I dined together a while back at Santa Fe prior to the pandemic, and we both had the Blackened Redfish, and it was great.

I've recently had the new special "Blackened Mahi" at Santa Fe three times within the last month, and each time I've found it to be excellent.
No loss in taste, texture, or enjoyment...... Given, Redfish & Mahi are two entirely different fishes, so they are always different, but Chef Dave does a great job on both.
(Nobody else's Mahi is nearly so delicious! Ditto for his Redfish.)
If I had to choose, I prefer Redfish, but again, they are different and that's just me.
I order Mahi at other restaurants all the time when I'm in the mood for it---- same with Halibut, Sea Bass, Grouper, Wolf Fish, Trout, etc......
(I also have a slight preference for Filet Mignon over NY Strip, but both are great. Same type deal.)

My most recent Blackened Mahi was two nights ago....this past Friday, and it was great.
Two weeks ago we were there with another couple----two had the grouper and two had the Mahi.
Everybody LOVED both dishes, and yes, they were as awesome as ever. I've complimented the Chef each time......It's still delicious, and whenever I opt to try something
other than the 40oz Cowboy Cut Ribeye (the best steak on the island) I'll choose the Mahi. I alternate, so I'm about 50-50 on ordering those two favorites.
The taste of the Mahi is very comparable to the Redfish, despite being different.

The other menu options are fantastic too---lamb chops, pork chop, etc..... but right now I'm stuck on the steak or the blackened fish (redfish OR mahi).
Sorry, but I must give the Chef credit for making the Mahi dish a real treat, just like he does everything else.
(Not to mention the Grouper is a classic, definitely one of their signature dishes.)

Below are photos of the mahi on two of the three occasions mentioned above.....unfortunately I had the third one half-way finished before I thought about a photo. :ponder:
Also included below are two recent (and beloved) Cowboy Cut Ribeyes from January.

Blackened Mahi #1 (north & south in photo) and Grouper (east and west) :)
1675654083465.png

#1 (same, zoom)
1675654105735.png

#2 (different night)
1675654572328.png

Blackened 40 oz Cowboy Cut Ribeye #1, also January
1675654908446.png

Grilled 42 oz Cowboy Cut Ribeye #2 (different night)...also January
Grouper on right (wife's)
1675655090685.png

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

There's a newish place, Tio's Latin American Kitchen, that's in the same building but on the opposite end from Poseidon at Shelter Cove Towne Center: https://tioshhi.com

The 30-something males in my family were down here for a week on a golf trip with their favorite Uncle Don and they liked it so much they went twice for lunch and once for supper. These are guys who get together twice a month to cook feasts for each other and have a text group where they share pics of all their other creations with each other, so I'd say that if their opinion of the place is that high then it's at least worth one try. (I know, my siblings and I raised weird kids, but their "Cousin Food" text group is a lot more palatable than some of the other stuff I hear rumors about them posting. Don't even ask about their version of Pokemon Go!)

[ETA] Steaks for grilling? You might get lucky at the butcher counter at the Harris-Teeter on Office Park Road (never tried the Main Street location butcher) but it's hit-or-miss depending on what comes in that day. Our favorite on the island used to be Fresh Market (mid-island on the right on 278 just passed Shelter Cove if you're heading towards Sea Pines) and it's still okay, but our favorite now is off-island and worth the trip: Nantucket's Meat and Fish Market in the Tanger Outlets II off-island. It's pricey but worth the money and the drive, and not just for steaks. We haven't been disappointed with anything we've bought, and we're looking forward to the pizza ovens that are rumored to be coming in the space that they have covered up.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
FWIW, if anyone is at Hilton Head now or in the near future........gas is about $3.19-3.29+ around the island right now,
EXCEPT for two Parker's stations where it's $2.97........ I filled up yesterday on my way home.
One is located just across the street from Target (sort of hidden just as you turn into the store area),
and the other one is adjacent to Tanger Outlet Mall #1 where Polo and Saks are (farthest Outlet Mall off island).
It's been that price for a few days even though there's not another station with prices anywhere near that.

(The third Parker's location "on island" just outside the Cross Island Pkwy/William Hilton Pkwy fork is still around $3.19)

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redfish is hard to get right now, and not a single restaurant is able to get any. Food items are this way sometimes.
Redfish has been the "Blackened Catch of the Day" at Santa Fe going on four+ years now. Since the lack of availability, the Chef has chosen Mahi as the special.
My good friend Bill (Superchief) and I dined together a while back at Santa Fe prior to the pandemic, and we both had the Blackened Redfish, and it was great.
We were still very satisfied with the Mahi Mahi, but prefer the Redfish for this recipe. In fact, their blackened redfish is one of the best seafood meals I've had on the island. I find Mahi Mahi to be more firm and meaty, and less flaky. Therefore I enjoy it best when it is grilled and served with a lemon caper or Carribean style. Santa Fe still serves some of the best seafood on the island and is my favorite. I will just order something else until the redfish is back. We will have to get together again when my wife is traveling with me. She is getting closer to her retirement and looking forward to these four weeks away from winter. I'm sure you would like to stay longer during your weekend trips.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, if anyone is at Hilton Head now or in the near future........gas is about $3.19-3.29+ around the island right now,
EXCEPT for two Parker's stations where it's $2.97........ I filled up yesterday on my way home.
One is located just across the street from Target (sort of hidden just as you turn into the store area),
and the other one is adjacent to Tanger Outlet Mall #1 where Polo and Saks are (farthest Outlet Mall off island).
It's been that price for a few days even though there's not another station with prices anywhere near that.

(The third Parker's location "on island" just outside the Cross Island Pkwy/William Hilton Pkwy fork is still around $3.19)
Interesting that you decided to post this in your dining guide thread?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you decided to post this in your dining guide thread?
If you visit a lot of Marty's recommended restaurants, you will need to buy gas when you are on the island. :) I read today that gas prices are going down, so hopefully the others will follow. I have to drive home on Saturday.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you visit a lot of Marty's recommended restaurants, you will need to buy gas when you are on the island. :) I read today that gas prices are going down, so hopefully the others will follow. I have to drive home on Saturday.
The reason I mentioned it, was because I once saw a dog drinking gas.
A guy was filling up his car and the handle got stuck.
It overflowed and gas was everywhere.
The dog started drinking the gas and then ran around in circles for 5 minutes before collapsing on his side.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The reason I mentioned it, was because I once saw a dog drinking gas.
A guy was filling up his car and the handle got stuck.
It overflowed and gas was everywhere.
The dog started drinking the gas and then ran around in circles for 5 minutes before collapsing on his side.

by any chance was that a hybrid dog?
very interested to know if it boosted his range.......:unsure: