• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thoughts on Westgates in Orlando

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for getaways for friends. Are any of the Westgates in Orlando decent? I've only stayed at Sheraton, Marriott and the Fountains.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Last edited:

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in a 3BR 3BA lockout at Westgate Lakes (in the 1900 building ) on a getaway the week before Christmas.
It was no Marriott but probably not the worst timeshare in Orlando. The property is huge so I can’t speak for the condition of the other buildings. Our unit was comfortable with furnishings in good condition. Beds were comfortable. We did see 4 or 5 cockroaches during the 3 nights we were there. If you join decide to book the unit tell them to join the Westgate loyalty program (its free). I did this and did not have to pay the nightly resort fees or for wifi. Also got a discount at the onsite water park. The location is convenient to a Super Walmart, the Vineland Outlets, several restaurants and Universal. We went to Disney Springs one night - was not too far of a drive.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I guess they aren’t good friends if you’re asking about Westgate

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have no issues staying in them when the price is right for a rental as rooms are very spacious even though they usually show their age!

its a GIGANTIC resort so prices are usually always right for rentals =)

owning one however....much different story!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We stayed in a 3BR 3BA lockout at Westgate Lakes (in the 1900 building ) on a getaway the week before Christmas.
It was no Marriott but probably not the worst timeshare in Orlando. The property is huge so I can’t speak for the condition of the other buildings. Our unit was comfortable with furnishings in good condition. Beds were comfortable. We did see 4 or 5 cockroaches during the 3 nights we were there. If you join decide to book the unit tell them to join the Westgate loyalty program (its free). I did this and did not have to pay the nightly resort fees or for wifi. Also got a discount at the onsite water park. The location is convenient to a Super Walmart, the Vineland Outlets, several restaurants and Universal. We went to Disney Springs one night - was not too far of a drive.
I have always wondered about the WiFi and resort fee charges if we were to book a stay there. According to their chart, it looks like it is only 50% off resort and destination fees for the entry level. https://www.westgateresorts.com/loyalty/

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wastegate is still charging for WIFI...? Clearly they are behind the times. What Resorts still charge for WIFI anymore? In my opinion WIFI should be included in any Hotel or Resort stay.

I don't see nickel and diming a necessity....... The extra WIFI charges are actually a good reason not to stay there.

Must be all about profits.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wastegate is still charging for WIFI...? Clearly they are behind the times. What Resorts still charge for WIFI anymore? In my opinion WIFI should be included in any Hotel or Resort stay.

I don't see nickel and diming a necessity....... The extra WIFI charges are actually a good reason not to stay there.

Must be all about profits.

I beleive owners get free WiFi, just outside guests that have to pay for it. I think it is more a spiteful thing than about money...

RebV

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for getaways for friends. Are any of the Westgates in Orlando decent? I've only stayed at Sheraton, Marriott and the Fountains.
I stayed in a two bedroom at Westgate Blue Tree Resort right before Christmas. They accepts small dogs, so that was the reason we chose the resort. It was perfect for us because we were not there a lot. Location is great, pools are ok and the hot tub was near us so that was a plus. The unit was clean, but old and small. There was only one couch and the second bedroom was super small--two twin beds against the walls with a small nightstand in between. I would stay there again if I was going to be gone most of the time. The kitchen was well equipped, but the pans had seen better days. I did call housekeeping several times and they were very quick to respond. I found the staff very pleasant and helpful. We had free WiFi.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I stayed in a two bedroom at Westgate Blue Tree Resort right before Christmas. They accepts small dogs, so that was the reason we chose the resort. It was perfect for us because we were not there a lot. Location is great, pools are ok and the hot tub was near us so that was a plus. The unit was clean, but old and small. There was only one couch and the second bedroom was super small--two twin beds against the walls with a small nightstand in between. I would stay there again if I was going to be gone most of the time. The kitchen was well equipped, but the pans had seen better days. I did call housekeeping several times and they were very quick to respond. I found the staff very pleasant and helpful. We had free WiFi.
We’ve stayed at the other section of Blue Tree, the not-Westgate section, a couple of times because we were with my sister who smokes and it was one of the few TS resorts that still allowed smoking on the balcony. It was about the same as you described. Good location, short drive south to Disney and relatively quick drive north via Palm Parkway etc. to Universal, which overcame the fact that it’s not as nice as the Marriotts or Vistanas.

JONC777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham 168000
bluegreen
Kahana Beach Club
westgate lakes is a nice property. I acquired a resale for nothing about 10 years ago, and always used it with no problems. Only recently did a voluntary deed back just due to a change in travelling habits.

afaiola

TUG Member
Reaction score
westgate lakes is a nice property. I acquired a resale for nothing about 10 years ago, and always used it with no problems. Only recently did a voluntary deed back just due to a change in travelling habits.
What is a voluntary deed back? Did you have to pay for that?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is a voluntary deed back? Did you have to pay for that?
NOTHING is free with Westgate. They have a “deedback” program called “Legacy” (“Larceny” apparently just didn’t have the same appeal), but Wastegate reportedly cherry picks what they will accept back at all. I believe that Westgate now charges a fee of $1,500+ per deed for the “privilege“ of their taking it back.

Is this ”voluntary”? Sure. It’s also costly and plainly reflective of Wastegate greed.

Last edited:

JONC777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham 168000
bluegreen
Kahana Beach Club
NOTHING is free with Westgate. They have a “deedback” program called “Legacy” (“Larceny” apparently just didn’t have the same appeal), but Wastegate reportedly cherry picks what they will accept back at all. I believe that Westgate now charges a fee of $1,500+ per deed for the “privilege“ of their taking it back.

Is this ”voluntary”? Sure. It’s also costly and plainly reflective of Wastegate greed.
true but cheaper than those $5000 lawyers

JONC777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham 168000
bluegreen
Kahana Beach Club

true, however it was still better than paying one of those lawyers $5000 plus to do it. $1800 was the cost but since i got a free week when i picked mine up i just wrote that off to that.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
true but cheaper than those $5000 lawyers
More important than cost comparison is that no lawyer possesses any magical ability or secret processes to get you out of a valid and voluntarily entered contractual obligation --- even if you were willing to pony up (I.e., waste) $5k!

Last edited: