• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Insurance for renting my timeshare to a 3rd party [HGVC Bay Club Waikaloa]

keconomos

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a week at the HGVC Bay Club Waikaloa. I've paid my 2022 dues for our Villa Unit [redacted details so this doesn't sound so much like an Ad] and I am looking to rent and preferably sell. I have listed it with this year's floating week included in the sale- weeks 1 to 50. I have not joined HGVC but if I did, which I can, my unit is 13,440 points annual. My price is $3,950 including this year's week. That puts the price of the timeshare at $2k as the MF I've paid was $1950.

Is selling it with this year's week available for the new owner, a plus in the marketplace or should I separate them and try and sell them individually?
If someone knows the Bay Club is this just an average offering or something a bit compelling?
If I decide to rent this year's week is there a place that offers insurance to cover my liability for damages that the renter may cause? How do I handle that?

Any other tips, hints, or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Kirk

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you rent your TS, the renter will have to run their credit card at the front desk at check-in, and any charges will go on that card.

keconomos

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you rent your TS, the renter will have to run their credit card at the front desk at check-in, and any charges will go on that card.
Thank you. I was referring more to liability resulting from their occupancy, not incidental charges. Property damage for instance. I am thinking that the booking is still in my name and if the property is damaged it would fall back on me. I spoke to owner services and they warned me that this would be the case.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you. I was referring more to liability resulting from their occupancy, not incidental charges. Property damage for instance. I am thinking that the booking is still in my name and if the property is damaged it would fall back on me. I spoke to owner services and they warned me that this would be the case.
If damage is minimal, then they will charge it to the guest credit card on file. Like if they smoke in a non smoking unit or they bring their pet and there is hair everywhere. Those charges get applied to the card on file. If they completely trash the place, then you have other problems. These types of things need to be covered in your rental contract and why most DIY rental contracts are insufficient.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Theoretically, you would be liable if your renter were insolvent. But I have never seen a report of this actually happening.

OLRi2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake River Island
The Quarter House
Fitzpatrick Castle
Macdonald Villacana Resort
You may want to check out the units listed for sale on Redweek for comparison of your asking price. When I purchase units, I usually want usage to start the following year as my travel plans for the current year are generally already set and I do not want to pay the additional price for the current year usage.

Last edited:

Intheknow

Reaction score
The owner of the unit is the responsible party for damage incurred by their guest.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The owner of the unit is the responsible party for damage incurred by their guest.
Only if they can't collect from the guest who provided their credit card at checkin.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Is selling it with this year's week available for the new owner, a plus in the marketplace or should I separate them and try and sell them individually?

You can do one or the other, but renting it yourself is a pain. It's just easier to sell it as-is with free 2022 points.

Moreover, having 2022 points is a good selling point - being able to use your deed whenever the transfer finishes is a big plus. Otherwise, it makes more sense for buyers to wait until October/November as it's when timeshare owners get 2023 MF bills and realize "shit, another year with this, let's sell it quick before it's too late!" and start flooding with the market with timeshare units and competing with other for these few buyers here and there...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This topic has come up on TUG for years, and besides some very minor accidents, no one on TUG has ever reported being charged for guest's damages, and Tuggers do a LOT of rentals. It's nearly unheard of.

keconomos

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to check out the units listed for sale on Redweek for comparison of your asking price. When I purchase units, I usually want usage to start the following year as my travel plans for the current year are generally already set and I do not want to pay the additional price for the current year usage.

I stayed in a 2 bedroom unit at the Bay Club (an RCI exchange) last year with a view of the golf course. The rooms were very spacious with well equipped kitchen and huge balcony. A very excellent place to stay. But, the day after we arrived the Big Island was hit with the worst wildfire they have ever experienced and it was just a few miles from the resort. We were told we may need to evacuate, but fortunately did not have to do that. RCI was also great about contacting me to see if I needed to change due to the poor air quality which I decided wasn't necessary (just couldn't use that balcony as much). Only other issue we had was the noise from the unit above us.

However...Bay Club is a sister resort of the Hilton Waikoloa Village across the street with oceanfront and a large pool/activity complex. Guests of the Bay Club can purchase a day pass to use those facilities which we did. Unfortunately, I fell on a poorly maintained walkway and suffered significant injuries that required an ambulance trip to the hospital (concussion, 5 staple scalp laceration and hip injury) with months of followup dr visits and imaging. Hilton refuses to accept any liability so I'm in the process of looking for an attorney over there now.

People rent out their timeshare units very often. I have done that myself. But this makes me wonder - could the timeshare owner be held liable in anyway if a renter was injured during the rental. Something to ponder I guess.
We have been owners at the Bay Club for over 20 years- and went annually until a few years ago. We have really enjoyed our vacations there and the accommodations and location are excellent. The Bay Club was built as condos and converted to timeshare- that is why they are home-sized and home-equipped. With only 4 units per Villa building, the Villas are quiet. We only have good things to say about the Bay Club. However, we have not gone for the last 3 years and will not be able to go this year. My poor planning means that our annual maintenance fees have just gone down the tubes with nothing to show for it. That does not make good sense.

I have priced mine below any other comparable unit at the Bay Club on Redweek. Based on your suggestion, I will take this year's already paid week out of the listing and offer it as an extra to a potential buyer if they want to go this year.

Do you think I should I also post it on redweek?

So sorry to hear about your fall at the hotel. That is terrible. Good luck with your process.

Thanks- Kirk

keconomos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the feedback from OLRi and Nowaker- I will bite the bullet, reduce my price a bit, and include this year's week as part of the offer. This will also eliminate my liability issue.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
List it on go-koala.com. They include insurance in case of damage and you don't have to collect money. Koala keeps 8% but you never have to communicate with the renter. It's a win-win for me.

Redweek verified is also good. But Koala is free to list, while Redweek does have a cost. I list on both.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been owners at the Bay Club for over 20 years- and went annually until a few years ago. We have really enjoyed our vacations there and the accommodations and location are excellent. The Bay Club was built as condos and converted to timeshare- that is why they are home-sized and home-equipped. With only 4 units per Villa building, the Villas are quiet. We only have good things to say about the Bay Club. However, we have not gone for the last 3 years and will not be able to go this year. My poor planning means that our annual maintenance fees have just gone down the tubes with nothing to show for it. That does not make good sense.

I have priced mine below any other comparable unit at the Bay Club on Redweek. Based on your suggestion, I will take this year's already paid week out of the listing and offer it as an extra to a potential buyer if they want to go this year.

Do you think I should I also post it on redweek?

So sorry to hear about your fall at the hotel. That is terrible. Good luck with your process.

Thanks- Kirk
Yes. If you have a nice floor plan, I'd also mention that. I know there are several types at Bay Club and some are better than others.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

keconomos

TUG Member
Reaction score
List it on go-koala.com. They include insurance in case of damage and you don't have to collect money. Koala keeps 8% but you never have to communicate with the renter. It's a win-win for me.

Redweek verified is also good. But Koala is free to list, while Redweek does have a cost. I list on both.
Thanks for this- I thought I had read that one of these companies had insurance - 8% is worth it.