• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scuba Anyone? Who goes diving on vacation?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Awesome, thank you for this. Although I had to buy fins for the pool dives so I’ll prob keep those and bring them with me since they are travel sized.
I would second the recommendation on getting a mask you like, that fits you. Comparatively speaking it's a small investment. Also, I still like having my own dive computer. I can record all my dive statistics in my log well after the dive has completed.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I would second the recommendation on getting a mask you like, that fits you. Comparatively speaking it's a small investment. Also, I still like having my own dive computer. I can record all my dive statistics in my log well after the dive has completed.
I’ll get the computer as soon as I dive again after certification lol. I have a mask, snorkel, and fins.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
I'd wait on Nitrox certification until you're more experienced. Diving is very much a learn from experience activity. Adding a more advanced skill, like Nitrox, should be done once you've mastered the more basic skills. I'm Nitrox certified, but I didn't do it until 2017. If you do buy a reg, bcd and computer package be sure to get analog gauges as a backup. I'd also recommend a separate wrist or console compass. Redundancy is your friend.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I'd wait on Nitrox certification until you're more experienced. Diving is very much a learn from experience activity. Adding a more advanced skill, like Nitrox, should be done once you've mastered the more basic skills. I'm Nitrox certified, but I didn't do it until 2017. If you do buy a reg, bcd and computer package be sure to get analog gauges as a backup. I'd also recommend a separate wrist or console compass. Redundancy is your friend.
Nitrox certification isn’t even in my mind. Just starting out is nerve wracking enough lol. I would def get analog gauges in addition to a dive computer. I’d also prefer a wrist compass as well. Thank you for your advice! It’s nice to hear from experts

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@CPNY I want to share some of my experiences as a diver. You are going to love life as a diver.

I was living on Manhattan for grad school and they offered a dive class in the pool. To get certified, they took us to Montauk, NY at the far end of the Hamptoms. It was beginning of September and I wore a full wetsuit and did not feel cold. Of course, there was nothing to see there. In 1990, I moved to California but I have never been diving in California because I would not dive anywhere cold again. I did not dive again until I went on a trip to Maui in approximately 1994 and did a couple of dives.

Then I moved to Miami for about 4 years from 1996 to 2000 and started diving regularly off the coast of Miami and the Ft Lauderdale area, Key Largo, Tavernier, Biscayne National Park, and all over the Caribbean on dive trips and liveabord trips. In this 4 year period, I must have gotten to at least 225 dives just in those 4 years.

It took me until about 50 dives to feel comfortable. I got to about 50 dives when I did a liveabord trip in the Southern Bahamas. I went by myself on that trip and they partnered you with someone and we also dove in small groups with a dive master. On that trip, they did a class on breathing and buoyancy. That cinched it and then I could control myself and really enjoy diving. I highly recommend a separate class on buoyancy. It was about a hour and they give you a card.

I went on a trip to the Cayman Islands where the goal was to get certified as an advanced diver. I completed that comfortably and it gave me more confidence. After that, I got my rescue diver certification and that totally gave me confidence. You have to tow people in the water and it was very hard for me but I did it.

From Miami, I started doing many dive vacations. I met a friend who was my age in a diving club I joined in Miami and she became my buddy for Florida dives. We started going on dive trips in the Caribbean and Mexico. I have been diving all over the Caribbean now: Cozumel, Bonaire, Bahamas (at least 3 trips), Cayman Islands, Belize, Honduras, Grenada, Bimini and more. It is hard to remember all the islands I have gone diving in since that was over 20 years ago. I did 2 liveaboard trips in the Bahamas while living in Miami. I have done drift diving, wall diving, several blue holes, night diving, shore diving, wreck diving and swim throughs. Now I only do easy diving off boats. LOL

Then I moved back to California and stopped diving. However, when I went on vacations, I would do 2-4 dives per vacation over the years since moving back here. Since 2006, I have been diving in the Big Island, Turkey, Tahiti, Australia, and Pacific side of Costa Rica (2 trips so far).

I also went back to Cozumel a few years ago and did 4 dives on 2 separate days. I repeated a couple dives in Florida. My sadness is that the reefs are dying and beat up, and there are fewer fish than in the past.

In Cozumel when I was diving there in the 90s, there were giant groupers that appear to be gone now and you did not need to go deep on the walls to see colorful reefs. When I went back a few years ago, we only saw grass on the shallow dive and we had to go down 50’ to see reefs that I would consider to be nice but nothing like 20 years ago. The divers I met did not believe me when I told them the comparisons to the 90s bc they were young and started diving more recently. It is possible that where they took me was just not the best reefs and maybe Cozumel is still amazing elsewhere.

In the Bahamas, I purposely went on shark dives where they fed them chum to attract them. I would not do that anymore bc I have since learned it is environmentally unsound. Even when we weren’t doing the shark dives, I was diving with many sharks in the Bahamas because they were so plentiful. On the liveaboard trip in the Southern Bahamas, we saw a tiger shark at about 50 feet when we were diving on a wall with a small group. I stayed as near to the wall as possible thinking a shark would not get me there. One of the men in the group chased the tiger shark to get photos. Crazy!

In Tahiti, I went diving a few times. One time was off Moorea and we saw at least 50 sharks on one of the dives. In Tahiti, there are so many harmless sharks that they think of them as sardines. LOL We are going to Fiji next year and I look forward to some dives there. I’ve heard the reefs are still good there.

You asked about equipment. I bought all of my equipment fairly quickly after getting certified in the 90s. I used that equipment for at least 10 years, probably more. I packed it and took it everywhere. I loved having my own equipment and dive computer because it made me feel more secure. Eventually, I did not dive enough and I was servicing the equipment periodically but not enough to feel confident it was good enough anymore. So I got rid of it. On the dive trips after 2006, I started to use rental equipment.

Amazingly, when I dive now, the skills all come back to me even when I have not dived in a year or two. I still know my buoyancy and breathing and do not use a lot of air. I have not been Nitrox certified as I think that is more common now than when I used to dive in the 90s. When I was diving in Costa Rica in 2019, they made me do a quick refresher course because I said I had not been diving in a couple of years. I aced it with no problems. By now, I am guessing I must be up to close to 300 dives. When I got to 225 dives while living in Miami, I stopped logging. No one asks for my log because I show them my advanced certification card. I do not even have my log anymore since I only logged in the 90s when I used to dive a lot.

Before I met my dive buddy, I went on local FL dives and a couple dive trips by myself and it was fine. Often, there were other divers who went alone too. Now, I dive alone again. My dive buddy lives in FL and I do not go on trips with her anymore. My husband got certified but he could not learn to breathe properly in order to control his buoyancy and he said his ears hurt. So he only went diving with me once. He kept going to the surface and he decided he did not like diving.

This is a long story but I wanted to share a little of my history. Diving is amazing and one of my favorite activities. Even if I do not see much on a dive, I love breathing the air because it slows down my breathing since I want to conserve air and that way of breathing totally relaxes me. I also enjoy the process of breathing in and out and playing around with my buoyancy.

You are going to love diving. In the beginning, it is natural to be nervous. Realistically, it will take many dives until you feel comfortable.

Please share stories about all your diving adventures. I will live through you vicariously!
This is just fantastic. You have an incredible dive resume. I’d love some tips on maintaining buoyancy. It took me a bit in the pool to stabilize. I also need to go easy on the breathing, I can see myself consuming a lot of air

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is just fantastic. You have an incredible dive resume. I’d love some tips on maintaining buoyancy. It took me a bit in the pool to stabilize. I also need to go easy on the breathing, I can see myself consuming a lot of air

I have a few “tricks” I learned many years ago.

To save air, you do two things, First, you breathe in slowly until your lungs full up. Then you release it half as slowly and beyond where you think it is possible. So if it takes me 8 counts to breathe in, then I take 16 counts to let it out. Toward the last few counts, it will feel like you have no air left to let out but you will. Eventually, this style of breathing under water will become so relaxing that it will become automatic and this is how you will want to breathe. It starts to feel like meditation or yogic breathing. I think this skill comes later as you dive more and start to feel more confidant and in control of your body. So I think learning buoyancy as soon as possible is the first step.

To practice buoyancy, you go to the sandy bottom at a depth where you can no longer feel the waves at the surface pulling you around. First, you make sure you are in neutral buoyancy with just enough air in your regulator or preferably no air if you are weighted properly. If you feel yourself drifting up, then you know you have some extra air in your BC and you can release more air or you might need a little more weight.

New scuba divers usually need extra weight because they don’t yet know how to breathe and they tend to drift up, especially when they get anxious. Personally, I think it is okay to have a little extra weight in the beginning over drifting up uncontrollably. A dive master may tell you not to use too much extra weight but I did use extra weight when I started.

Next, you get into a position with your knees on the sand. When you are comfortable on your knees and you are not moving around or struggling too much to stay in position, you can start to practice using your breath to control your buoyancy. First, you breathe out slowly and your breath will bend your upper body toward the sand. Then you breathe back in slowly and your breath will bring you back to your original position. You just play with this way of breathing and it will start to give you a sense of control over your body.

Maybe someone else has some tips to add. @Sandy VDH anything to add or suggest?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have a few “tricks” I learned many years ago.

New scuba divers usually need extra weight because they don’t yet know how to breathe and they tend to drift up, especially when they get anxious. Personally, I think it is okay to have a little extra weight in the beginning over drifting up uncontrollably. A dive master may tell you not to use too much extra weight but I did use extra weight when I started.

This was happening to me in the pool, I may have breathing a bit too heavily and I was drifting up. I needed to add more weight. When I do my certification dives in Bora Bora, I’ll let the DM know all of this. I will have to be a bit upfront about my nerves although I’m sure they will see it.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
My best advice as @TravelTime has alluded to is your breathing, but an aspect that I soundly agree is TO RELAX. I find diving a mentally and physically relaxing event. Sure I am swimming and that causes some level of exercise. Certainly gearing up and getting in and out of the water is a lot of effort. But the dive to me is very relaxing. Being weightless and only really hearing your breathing allows to me to do that.

I often argue with Dive Master who think that everyone is overweighted. In my recent dives last month, I told him what weight I wanted, he said you don't need that. I said I did. He said try, I said ok, but bring extra weight in your BCD because while I don't need it during the dive, I need that weight in order to maintain my safety stop. As the dive progresses and use up air, your tank becomes positively bouyant. I was fine the whole dive, but even after dumping every possible bit of air in the BCD, I couldn't keep my 15 safety stop. He handed me the weight and I stopped my upward trend immediately. He came up and said I'm sorry you are right, you needed the weight you asked for. Thank you, I am glad he acknowledge that. But as an experienced diver, I know that. However if you are new and needing advice then it is hard when you get advice that makes your struggle with aspects of your dive. Don't be afraid to ask that the Dive master has additional weights should you need them. In my opinion it is easier to deal with being overweighted than underweighted. Underweighted you can't do anything about except find a rock to hold on to, or get weight from the divemaster. Overweighted you can add some air to your BCD.

Don't get frustrated, it is all a learning curve, and your are trying to learn and understand very subtle changes in what you do and how it effects your bouyancy. Don't pump large amounts of air into your BCD during the dive, I do tiny little spurts to adjust my bouyancy. The only time a put large amounts of air in BCD is just before you enter the water, and just as you get back to the surface after the dive, while you are waiting to get back into the dive boat. I see people adding too much and then letting some out, over and over. Well that all uses up air. I get my bouyancy at depth established pretty quickly, Likely the only thing I do from that point on is let out little bits of air as the dive continues and I rise in the water column. People forget to let off some of the air as the dive progresses, as you use up air the tank becomes more bouyant, also has you rise that air in the BCD expands causing you to be more bouyant as well, that causes you to start rising and not be in control of your bouyancy.

Get a mask that fits well and does not leak. Constantly clearing your mask again you are using up more air. The strap is NOT there to tighten the mask to make it NOT leak, the strap it just to keep it from getting knocked off your head. A well fitted mask for your face is key. Often the strap too tight is part of the problem, but more than often than not, it is not having a mask that fits your face, and/or getting hair in the seal that causes a wicking of water.

Also I see a lot of people who do not understand how fins work at propelling you. I see a lot of people thinking they are swimming and use their hands to propel them. I only use my hand sparingly. I also have an efficent kick that makes use of the power of the fin. I see people looking like they are riding a bike, that does not work at propelling you. Learn how to best use your fins, and NOT your hands to propel you.

Relax, learn, pay attention to what you are doing (or not doing). Eventually it comes a skill that you do automatically, it just requires practice. I am very good at air consumption now. I was an air hog when I first started. So don't think it can't be learned. Watch what the dive master does, or others who have good bouyancy control.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My best advice as @TravelTime has alluded to is your breathing, but an aspect that I soundly agree is TO RELAX. I find diving a mentally and physically relaxing event. Sure I am swimming and that causes some level of exercise. Certainly gearing up and getting in and out of the water is a lot of effort. But the dive to me is very relaxing. Being weightless and only really hearing your breathing allows to me to do that.

I often argue with Dive Master who think that everyone is overweighted. In my recent dives last month, I told him what weight I wanted, he said you don't need that. I said I did. He said try, I said ok, but bring extra weight in your BCD because while I don't need it during the dive, I need that weight in order to maintain my safety stop. As the dive progresses and use up air, your tank becomes positively bouyant. I was fine the whole dive, but even after dumping every possible bit of air in the BCD, I couldn't keep my 15 safety stop. He handed me the weight and I stopped my upward trend immediately. He came up and said I'm sorry you are right, you needed the weight you asked for. Thank you, I am glad he acknowledge that. But as an experienced diver, I know that. However if you are new and needing advice then it is hard when you get advice that makes your struggle with aspects of your dive. Don't be afraid to ask that the Dive master has additional weights should you need them. In my opinion it is easier to deal with being overweighted than underweighted. Underweighted you can't do anything about except find a rock to hold on to, or get weight from the divemaster. Overweighted you can add some air to your BCD.

Don't get frustrated, it is all a learning curve, and your are trying to learn and understand very subtle changes in what you do and how it effects your bouyance. Don't pump large amounts of air into your BCD during the dive, I do tiny little spurts to adjust my bouyancy. The only time a put large amounts of air in BCD is just before you enter the water, and just as you get back to the surface after the dive, while you are waiting to get back into the dive boat. I see people adding too much and then letting some out, over and over. Well that all uses up air. I get my bouyancy at depth established pretty quickly, Likely the only thing I do from that point on is let out little bits of air as the dive continues and I rise in the water column. People forget to let off some of the air as the dive progresses, as you use up air the tank becomes more bouyant, also has you rise that air in the BCD expands causing you to be more bouyant as well, that causes you to start rising and not be in control of your bouyancy.

Get a mask that fits well and does not leak. Constantly clearing your mask again you are using up more air. The strap is NOT there to tighten the mask to make it NOT leak, the strap it just to keep it from getting knocked off your head. A well fitted mask for your face is key. Often the strap too tight is part of the problem, but more than often than not, it is not having a mask that fits your face, and/or getting hair in the seal that causes a wicking of water.

Also I see a lot of people who do not understand how fins work at propelling you. I see a lot of people thinking they are swimming and use their hands to propel them. I only use my hand sparingly. I also have an efficent kick that makes use of the power of the fin. I see people looking like they are riding a bike, that does not work at propelling you. Learn how to best use your fins, and NOT your hands to propel you.

Relax, learn, pay attention to what you and doing (or not doing). Eventually it comes a skill that you do automatically, it just requires practice. I am very good at air consumption now. I was an air hog when I first started. So don't think it can't be learned. Watch what the dive master does, or others who have good bouyancy control.

@CPNY I totally agree with @Sandy VDH Over time, I learned all of the above. I know we have given you a lot of advice. This must feel overwhelming right now. Just like anything else, think of scuba diving as baby steps. If you dive enough, this stuff will become natural.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I have a PADI Rescue Diver card. The only reason I didn't go up to Divemaster is then I would have to carry insurance. I lived in the Florida Keys and now I live in Hawaii. I dive a fair bit.

I recommend not buying your own gear until you're sure that it's going to cost less in the long run (including maintenance) than just renting gear as you need it. The problem with owning gear is that unless you live near the dive site (as I do), you're going to want to pack it to go on vacation. So now the airline has several thousand dollars worth of your life-support equipment, doing the gorilla-test with your bags.

I don't go to many dive destinations on vacation. My wife doesn't dive (and doesn't want to learn). And I get plenty of bubble time at home. If I was heading back to Egypt (where I learned to dive), I would definitely do a few trips. The Red Sea is amazing. But I wouldn't pack my gear -- because I don't trust EgyptAir with it. And I don't want to lug it around the entire country.

If you DO decide to buy your own gear -- DON'T BUY THE FIRST THING YOU SEE AT THE DIVE STORE. No. 100% no. Don't make this rookie mistake. Go on lots of dives and use lots of different BCs, regulators and computers. There is no substitute for trying lots of different pieces out and then deciding on what you like.

If you ask people what gear to buy, they're going to tell you whatever it is they already own. That's validation -- not advice. Find what you like and then buy it. Buy it online, or from one of the discounters in Florida. You'll still have a fine relationship with your dive store for maintenance and incidentals -- no worries there.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@TravelTime @Sandy VDH I book marked your posts and I will be reading and re reading. Such great advice. Thank you so much.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have a PADI Rescue Diver card. The only reason I didn't go up to Divemaster is then I would have to carry insurance. I lived in the Florida Keys and now I live in Hawaii. I dive a fair bit.

I recommend not buying your own gear until you're sure that it's going to cost less in the long run (including maintenance) than just renting gear as you need it. The problem with owning gear is that unless you live near the dive site (as I do), you're going to want to pack it to go on vacation. So now the airline has several thousand dollars worth of your life-support equipment, doing the gorilla-test with your bags.

I don't go to many dive destinations on vacation. My wife doesn't dive (and doesn't want to learn). And I get plenty of bubble time at home. If I was heading back to Egypt (where I learned to dive), I would definitely do a few trips. The Red Sea is amazing. But I wouldn't pack my gear -- because I don't trust EgyptAir with it. And I don't want to lug it around the entire country.

If you DO decide to buy your own gear -- DON'T BUY THE FIRST THING YOU SEE AT THE DIVE STORE. No. 100% no. Don't make this rookie mistake. Go on lots of dives and use lots of different BCs, regulators and computers. There is no substitute for trying lots of different pieces out and then deciding on what you like.

If you ask people what gear to buy, they're going to tell you whatever it is they already own. That's validation -- not advice. Find what you like and then buy it. Buy it online, or from one of the discounters in Florida. You'll still have a fine relationship with your dive store for maintenance and incidentals -- no worries there.
Thank you! Great advice

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I totally agree with you. I did not buy my own gear until about 25 dives and then I researched what I wanted instead of getting opinions. However, in the 90s, we did not have social media so getting many options was not truly an option like it is now. I did not ever check my regulator. I think that is the main safety equipment to be careful with.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I totally agree with you. I did not buy my own gear until about 25 dives and then I researched what I wanted instead of getting opinions. However, in the 90s, we did not have social media so getting many options was not truly an option like it is now. I did not ever check my regulator. I think that is the main safety equipment to be careful with.
I was just getting a massage and I was practicing my breathing. Problem was my LMT was going hard on my arm which is in spasm haha. breathing through the pain lol

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
@CPNY, you've gotten a lot of good advice from several experienced divers here. 2 things I'd add as a "vacation" diver. First, I'd always do an orientation dive on arrival. Ideally this would be a 1 on 1 with one of the dive masters. We'd go over basic skills and then do our dive. One of the best dives I ever had was in the Philippines, the dive was in a cove at the resort. After a skills review on a platform in about 12 feet of water we went to 2 Japanese wrecks from WW2. Those 2 dives were better than any of the other dives I did that week. Second, join DAN or Divers Alert Network. In 30 years of diving I've never needed any emergency medical care but having that covered is a must.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@CPNY, you've gotten a lot of good advice from several experienced divers here. 2 things I'd add as a "vacation" diver. First, I'd always do an orientation dive on arrival. Ideally this would be a 1 on 1 with one of the dive masters. We'd go over basic skills and then do our dive. One of the best dives I ever had was in the Philippines, the dive was in a cove at the resort. After a skills review on a platform in about 12 feet of water we went to 2 Japanese wrecks from WW2. Those 2 dives were better than any of the other dives I did that week. Second, join DAN or Divers Alert Network. In 30 years of diving I've never needed any emergency medical care but having that covered is a must.
Thank you! I plan on spending a bit extra and diving with a DM in my early dives.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I loved drift diving near Cozumel. I think that is my favorite place. Warm water and drift diving kind of feels like flying.

I really liked my Aqualung BCD , Titan regulators and 2 gauge console. I like the compass booted to the gauge. I went every thng Aqualung. I certified in a shorty wetsuit and learned why everyone wore full suits by getting too close to fire coral. After that I wore a full 1 mm suit with boots , gloves and head sock. I use the shorty for snorkeling.

Bill

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Thank you! I plan on spending a bit extra and diving with a DM in my early dives.

I’m a PADI professional. You have received some good advice here. One thing I would add is that the dive operator you book through should include a DM or instructor in your group for non-training recreational dives. It shouldn’t be extra. Usually the DM or instructor will lead your dives. Even as a dive professional myself, I find there is a lot of value in another dive professional knowing the local site, environment and dive conditions.

One other piece of advice I have is to carry on your mask, fins and snorkel. Do not check them. They can, and should fit in a carry on that goes in the aircraft overhead bin. If your luggage gets lost or delayed, you are all of a sudden without your comfortable gear. I have prescription dive lenses in my mask and I wouldn’t be able to dive without it. I don’t know your situation, but don’t dive with contacts. I have seen way too many students have to focus on keeping them in that their attention to the dive suffers and it can become a safety issue. If you need contacts to see, consider investing in prescription lenses.

Finally, I also agree with others on further continuing education. They have their place, but don’t over think it, just go diving and log dives. It’s not about how thick your cert card stack gets. You get better at diving by experience. The more you dive, the better you will get at air consumption because your comfort level will increase and you will relax.

Enjoy your learning. Scuba is an amazing experience.

Last edited:

Brerrabbit

Reaction score
I’m thinking a better than rental regulator that’s my own will give me more peace of mind. Plus the whole idea of breathing easier from a better reg than a rental is comforting. I’ve seen the lower end dive computers are around 199-250. I found a discontinued model for 399 which has a digital compass and the ability to connect to a transmitter. If in the future I find myself diving a bit, having my own reg with a transmitter is a nice option.

Can I ask, what do I do if I’m solo? Can I pay for a dive master to go with me? I’m going to:the Bahamas in July and my friends don’t dive so I’m going to be going solo. How does that work? I’m not sure I want to be trusting people I don’t know.

I would talk to a local dive shop where you're going and see if they have any trips going out that you can get on. You could pay a dive master to go with you, if the expense of it is acceptable to you and you can find one who will do it. I'm sure that for the right amount of money that can be done.

Check

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just completed confined pool dives toward my PADI OW dive certification. I’m hearing I should buy my own regulator and dive computer for when I travel. I think I’ve researched enough and have narrowed down my choices. I’m looking at the Aqualung Core (Closeout sale) and the Aqualung i450T Dive Computer. I’d love to hear from some Divers around here. Also, I’m also sort of nervous and having a lot to “Why the Heck am I doing this” moments. Any thoughts on the regulator and computer I mentioned? Any recommendations on how I can be less nervous?

Chris, to be perfectly honest, you should not be diving if you are claustrophobic. Check it out.

Reactions: Kel

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Chris, to be perfectly honest, you should not be diving if you are claustrophobic. Check it out.
Well I have to try it. If I don’t like it, I’ll go back to snorkeling.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’m a PADI professional. You have received some good advice here. One thing I would add is that the dive operator you book through should include a DM or instructor in your group for non-training recreational dives. It shouldn’t be extra. Usually the DM or instructor will lead your dives. Even as a dive professional myself, I find there is a lot of value in another dive professional knowing the local site, environment and dive conditions.

One other piece of advice I have is to carry on your mask, fins and snorkel. Do not check them. They can, and should fit in a carry on that goes in the aircraft overhead bin. If your luggage gets lost or delayed, you are all of a sudden without your comfortable gear. I have prescription dive lenses in my mask and I wouldn’t be able to dive without it. I don’t know your situation, but don’t dive with contacts. I have seen way too many students have to focus on keeping them in that their attention to the dive suffers and it can become a safety issue. If you need contacts to see, consider investing in prescription lenses.

Finally, I also agree with others on further continuing education. They have their place, but don’t over think it, just go diving and log dives. It’s not about how thick your cert card stack gets. You get better at diving by experience. The more you dive, the better you will get at air consumption because your comfort level will increase and you will relax.

Enjoy your learning. Scuba is an amazing experience.
I def plan on carrying my mask and snorkel on. I have fins that fit in the carry on as well but I’m contemplating leaving them home and going with rental fins for now. It’s not as if I’ve used these fins enough to know if I like them or I’m even comfortable with them. I picked up scubapro Go sport fins, based on reviews and size. I may keep them for snorkeling off the beach when I’m away.

do you think I need to bring the fins for the cert dives in Bora Bora or just go with the dive companies fins

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have been certified NAUI Open Water Diver since the mid-1980s. Dive computers weren't invented yet. It would have been nice to log our dives. We only own our masks, gloves, booties and fins. I am glad we never bought equipment because you must maintain it. After 40 years everything would be obsolete by now. Also don't want to check on planes.

We dove in Channel Islands, Hawaii, Tahiti (Bora Bora and Moorea), Caribbean, but was certified on Northern California coast (Monterey and Mendocino). We were told by our Dive instructor that if you can dive the Northern California coast, you can dive anywhere. (waves, cold water, low visibility, kelp, currents). I agree.

There is nothing like diving in a Monterey, California Kelp forest. I am glad to have done it before global warming destroys. We are in our early 60s so now just snorkel in tropical locations. The water is clear and the fish are more colorful at low depths.

With NAUI training, they would surprise you and rip off your mask, Make you buddy breath in the pool. We had several open water dives with instructor before certification. I am so glad I had that training because diving teaches you not to panic. I have had to use all of these skills while diving. Good life skills too.

Enjoy your dives.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Monterey Calif. kelp forest. Of course you can also experience this at the Monterey Bay Aquarium without getting wet or slammed by the surf.

Kelp Forest.jpg

Here are the differences between NAUI Open Water vs. PADI training. Historically NAUI was a lot more rigorous. May be different today.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
do you think I need to bring the fins for the cert dives in Bora Bora or just go with the dive companies fins

Unless you have odd sized feet, or plan your own snorkeling off the beach while there, we usually use the boat flippers because less weight to carry. Masks are finicky to fit, (and I prefer not to use one that someone else has used - especially during Covid), so we always bring our own.