• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scuba Anyone? Who goes diving on vacation?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I just completed confined pool dives toward my PADI OW dive certification. I’m hearing I should buy my own regulator and dive computer for when I travel. I think I’ve researched enough and have narrowed down my choices. I’m looking at the Aqualung Core (Closeout sale) and the Aqualung i450T Dive Computer. I’d love to hear from some Divers around here. Also, I’m also sort of nervous and having a lot to “Why the Heck am I doing this” moments. Any thoughts on the regulator and computer I mentioned? Any recommendations on how I can be less nervous?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I just completed confined pool dives toward my PADI OW dive certification. I’m hearing I should buy my own regulator and dive computer for when I travel. I think I’ve researched enough and have narrowed down my choices. I’m looking at the Aqualung Core (Closeout sale) and the Aqualung i450T Dive Computer. I’d love to hear from some Divers around here. Also, I’m also sort of nervous and having a lot to “Why the Heck am I doing this” moments. Any thoughts on the regulator and computer I mentioned? Any recommendations on how I can be less nervous?
Yes we have been diving on vacation since 2009. No, we do not own our own regulators. We do not dive enough to justify the cost. Regulators need to be serviced yearly no matter how much they are used. Sometimes I wish we had our own BCD & Reg, just for the familiarity of owning. But, can't justify the cost. I won't dive in Wisconsin, so our equipment would only be used on vacation. Since that's only once or twice a year it isn't worth it to us. We did buy dive computers and are happy we did. I have a Mares with one button. My DH has a Diverite with multiple buttons. I like the simplicity of one button. ;)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes we have been diving on vacation since 2009. No, we do not own our own regulators. We do not dive enough to justify the cost. Regulators need to be serviced yearly no matter how much they are used. Sometimes I wish we had our own BCD & Reg, just for the familiarity of owning. But, can't justify the cost. I won't dive in Wisconsin, so our equipment would only be used on vacation. Since that's only once or twice a year it isn't worth it to us. We did buy dive computers and are happy we did. I have a Mares with one button. My DH has a Diverite with multiple buttons. I like the simplicity of one button. ;)
Well considering I get anxiety and am claustrophobic I feel like I’d feel more comfortable with my own gear? I assume a good mid range regulator will make breathing a bit easier? If I hate diving I’ll put it on eBay and take my losses. If I love diving and go twice a year I’ll be happy with my own gear I think. I’m also someone who brings a nespresso machine with me on vacation, so I’m no stranger to packing gadgets haha.

Which mares do you have?

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We just returned from Grand Cayman, along with our friends. My husband and they dove 4 days of our week there, and have been diving for years. They all have their own regulators and dive computers because they are familiar with them, and that is the main reason for traveling with them. I will tell you that my husband gets stopped 90% of the time at TSA screening, because he puts them in a carry on; he never opts to put it in checked baggage.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Well considering I get anxiety and am claustrophobic I feel like I’d feel more comfortable with my own gear? I assume a good mid range regulator will make breathing a bit easier? If I hate diving I’ll put it on eBay and take my losses. If I love diving and go twice a year I’ll be happy with my own gear I think. I’m also someone who brings a nespresso machine with me on vacation, so I’m no stranger to packing gadgets haha.

Which mares do you have?
Not sure the model number. It was purchased in 2009.:LOL:
1651503376933.png
Looks like this.

I get claustrophobic doing swim throughs. Plus I am always paranoid my tank is going to bang into something.
I have found some regulators breathe easier than others, you'll have to try different brands. I would like my own BCD just for the familiarity of dumping air, knowing where everything is connected etc. Maybe someday when we win the lottery.;)

I tend to pack almost everything but the kitchen sink. I envy those that can travel with only carry-on luggage. I had a waffle maker shipped to me from Amazon when we were in Hawaii for 12 days. (Left if for housekeeping staff. Front desk was lobbying for it.)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Depending on your vision a Vision corrected Mask can also be essential. Patti and I snorkel and having a good fitting, Vision Corrected Mask is essential. We Always put our Masks in our Carryon. I am PADI Open water Qualified but have not dove in years. It was hard enough to get Patti to snorkel. This is a woman that so hates water on her face she will not put her face into a shower head.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Depending on your vision a Vision corrected Mask can also be essential. Patti and I snorkel and having a good fitting, Vision Corrected Mask is essential. We Always put our Masks in our Carryon. I am PADI Open water Qualified but have not dove in years. It was hard enough to get Patti to snorkel. This is a woman that so hates water on her face she will not put her face into a shower head.
I do many trips to the Caribbean solo and I’m going to the Bahamas in July. It would be nice to do a couple of morning dives. I think having my own hear may be worth it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Not sure the model number. It was purchased in 2009.:LOL: View attachment 53604 Looks like this.

I get claustrophobic doing swim throughs. Plus I am always paranoid my tank is going to bang into something.
I have found some regulators breathe easier than others, you'll have to try different brands. I would like my own BCD just for the familiarity of dumping air, knowing where everything is connected etc. Maybe someday when we win the lottery.;)

I tend to pack almost everything but the kitchen sink. I envy those that can travel with only carry-on luggage. I had a waffle maker shipped to me from Amazon when we were in Hawaii for 12 days. (Left if for housekeeping staff. Front desk was lobbying for it.)
I now check my luggage for Caribbean trips, between my beach tent, grill, and cooking stuff, I have to check. I also carry on when i check so I won’t have an issue when it comes to adding dive equipment into the mix. I’ll just bring less clothes.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have been certified since 1985. I just did 15 dives last month in the Maldives. I am at 398 lifetime dives.

I usually bring my own regulator, mask snorkel and fins, but just get a BCD from where I am. Too big to pack and carry. It keeps my tank attached but does not keep me alive and breathing and in my mouth.

I usually try to get a dive vacation in once a year, even it is only a few dives with Tradewinds while sailing.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have been certified since 1985. I just did 15 dives last month in the Maldives. I am at 398 lifetime dives.

I usually bring my own regulator, mask snorkel and fins, but just get a BCD from where I am. Too big to pack and carry. It keeps my tank attached but does not keep me alive and breathing and in my mouth.

I usually try to get a dive vacation in once a year, even it is only a few dives with Tradewinds while sailing.
I’m thinking a better than rental regulator that’s my own will give me more peace of mind. Plus the whole idea of breathing easier from a better reg than a rental is comforting. I’ve seen the lower end dive computers are around 199-250. I found a discontinued model for 399 which has a digital compass and the ability to connect to a transmitter. If in the future I find myself diving a bit, having my own reg with a transmitter is a nice option.

Can I ask, what do I do if I’m solo? Can I pay for a dive master to go with me? I’m going to:the Bahamas in July and my friends don’t dive so I’m going to be going solo. How does that work? I’m not sure I want to be trusting people I don’t know.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can I ask, what do I do if I’m solo? Can I pay for a dive master to go with me? I’m going to:the Bahamas in July and my friends don’t dive so I’m going to be going solo. How does that work? I’m not sure I want to be trusting people I don’t know.

If you do a boat dive they will pair you up with someone, or at the very least with the dive master. Almost all places have you go out with a dive master, unless you do your own shore dive. I had a couple of dives in the Maldives where it was just me and the dive master, which is great. I am good on air and we spend an 1:15 mins on one of the dives and still came back with over 1000 PSI. Our max depth was 85 ft, but we both have computers, and spiraled our way up a pinnicle. With a large group, your lucky if you get 45 mins.

In some locations, with more "cattle boats", like Cozumel, with 25 divers on a boat, I avoid. I have a local I know in Cozumel that takes a max of 6. She was my intructor for my Advanced Open water in 1995, and if I am in Cozumel I dive with her, as she now owns her own boat and does small groups. I avoid cattle boats and prefer smaller groups. I had an issue once with an idiot in Cozumel, so I avoid those situations.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you do a boat dive they will pair you up with someone, or at the very least with the dive master. Almost all places have you go out with a dive master, unless you do your own shore dive. I had a couple of dives in the Maldives where it was just me and the dive master, which is great. I am good on air and we spend an 1:15 mins on one of the dives and still came back with over 1000 PSI. Our max depth was 85 ft, but we both have computers, and spiraled our way up a pinnicle. With a large group, your lucky if you get 45 mins.

In some locations, with more "cattle boats", like Cozumel, with 25 dives on a boat, I avoid. I have a local I know in Cozumel that takes a max of 6. She was my intructor for my Advanced Open water in 1995, and if I am in Cozumel I dive with her, as she now owns her own boat and does small groups. I avoid cattle boats and prefer smaller groups. I had an issue once with an idiot in Cozumel, so I avoid those situations.
See this is great, these are good questions for me to ask the dive operator as I’d prefer a smaller group. I don’t want to be overwhelmed with too many people. I saw in the Bahamas there is an option with Stuart coves to have a DM go down with me one on one for an additional charge. To me that would be money well spent. I would be able to set the parameters on my comfort level, I’d feel that I can signal up any time I wanted and I wouldn’t be ruining someone else’s dive.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

My DH and I always dive together, but there have been occasions where I am unable to make the second dive(I'm very prone to seasickness) He has always been paired up with the dive master when that happens. We've also encountered solo divers and the dive master sticks with them.

Stuart Cove in the Bahamas is an awesome dive company. In fact they were my first open ocean dive after getting OW certified. I, of course, got really seasick and they refunded the remaining dives we had booked that day. Being new I didn't realize how exhausting diving actually is and I personally won't book more than two dives in a day. Our last dive with them was the afternoon shark dive for our 10th wedding anniversary! Many dive boats allow non-divers to ride along as bubble watchers, you can look into that for your friends to tag along and get pics of you in your gear!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Being new I didn't realize how exhausting diving actually is and I personally won't book more than two dives in a day.

Compressed Air and I get tired too. If you like diving, it is so worth it to get Nitrox certified. Nitrox is a mixed gas and has a higher oxgyen count, usually 31 to 34% instead of compressed air which is 21% oxgyen. You need a dive computer that accepts mixed gas diving, and most do. I am nearing 60, out of shape and I just did 3 dives a day, for 4 consequtive days. Was less tired than just 1 regular compress air tank would make me.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
My DH and I always dive together, but there have been occasions where I am unable to make the second dive(I'm very prone to seasickness) He has always been paired up with the dive master when that happens. We've also encountered solo divers and the dive master sticks with them.

Stuart Cove in the Bahamas is an awesome dive company. In fact they were my first open ocean dive after getting OW certified. I, of course, got really seasick and they refunded the remaining dives we had booked that day. Being new I didn't realize how exhausting diving actually is and I personally won't book more than two dives in a day. Our last dive with them was the afternoon shark dive for our 10th wedding anniversary! Many dive boats allow non-divers to ride along as bubble watchers, you can look into that for your friends to tag along and get pics of you in your gear!
That’s awesome, if everything goes according to plan, SC will be my first open ocean dive after being certified lol

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Compressed Air and I get tired too. If you like diving, it is so worth it to get Nitrox certified. Nitrox is a mixed gas and has a higher oxgyen count, usually 31 to 34% instead of compressed air which is 21% oxgyen. You need a dive computer that accepts mixed gas diving, and most do. I am nearing 60, out of shape and I just did 3 dives a day, for 4 consequtive days. Was less tired than just 1 regular compress air tank would make me.

We did get Nitrox training/certified prior to the pandemic. We haven't tried it, and I think I would have to brush up on everything I learned before trying it. Your experience really intrigues me to check it out the next time we go. 12 dives in 3 days!! Impressive. My computer does have a nitrox setting.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
@CPNY I want to share some of my experiences as a diver. You are going to love life as a diver.

I was living on Manhattan for grad school and they offered a dive class in the pool. To get certified, they took us to Montauk, NY at the far end of the Hamptoms. It was beginning of September and I wore a full wetsuit and did not feel cold. Of course, there was nothing to see there. In 1990, I moved to California but I have never been diving in California because I would not dive anywhere cold again. I did not dive again until I went on a trip to Maui in approximately 1994 and did a couple of dives.

Then I moved to Miami for about 4 years from 1996 to 2000 and started diving regularly off the coast of Miami and the Ft Lauderdale area, Key Largo, Tavernier, Biscayne National Park, and all over the Caribbean on dive trips and liveabord trips. In this 4 year period, I must have gotten to at least 225 dives just in those 4 years.

It took me until about 50 dives to feel comfortable. I got to about 50 dives when I did a liveabord trip in the Southern Bahamas. I went by myself on that trip and they partnered you with someone and we also dove in small groups with a dive master. On that trip, they did a class on breathing and buoyancy. That cinched it and then I could control myself and really enjoy diving. I highly recommend a separate class on buoyancy. It was about a hour and they give you a card.

I went on a trip to the Cayman Islands where the goal was to get certified as an advanced diver. I completed that comfortably and it gave me more confidence. After that, I got my rescue diver certification and that totally gave me confidence. You have to tow people in the water and it was very hard for me but I did it.

From Miami, I started doing many dive vacations. I met a friend who was my age in a diving club I joined in Miami and she became my buddy for Florida dives. We started going on dive trips in the Caribbean and Mexico. I have been diving all over the Caribbean now: Cozumel, Bonaire, Bahamas (at least 3 trips), Cayman Islands, Belize, Honduras, Grenada, Bimini and more. It is hard to remember all the islands I have gone diving in since that was over 20 years ago. I did 2 liveaboard trips in the Bahamas while living in Miami. I have done drift diving, wall diving, several blue holes, night diving, shore diving, wreck diving and swim throughs. Now I only do easy diving off boats. LOL

Then I moved back to California and stopped diving. However, when I went on vacations, I would do 2-4 dives per vacation over the years since moving back here. Since 2006, I have been diving in the Big Island, Turkey, Tahiti, Australia, and Pacific side of Costa Rica (2 trips so far).

I also went back to Cozumel a few years ago and did 4 dives on 2 separate days. I repeated a couple dives in Florida. My sadness is that the reefs are dying and beat up, and there are fewer fish than in the past.

In Cozumel when I was diving there in the 90s, there were giant groupers that appear to be gone now and you did not need to go deep on the walls to see colorful reefs. When I went back a few years ago, we only saw grass on the shallow dive and we had to go down 50’ to see reefs that I would consider to be nice but nothing like 20 years ago. The divers I met did not believe me when I told them the comparisons to the 90s bc they were young and started diving more recently. It is possible that where they took me was just not the best reefs and maybe Cozumel is still amazing elsewhere.

In the Bahamas, I purposely went on shark dives where they fed them chum to attract them. I would not do that anymore bc I have since learned it is environmentally unsound. Even when we weren’t doing the shark dives, I was diving with many sharks in the Bahamas because they were so plentiful. On the liveaboard trip in the Southern Bahamas, we saw a tiger shark at about 50 feet when we were diving on a wall with a small group. I stayed as near to the wall as possible thinking a shark would not get me there. One of the men in the group chased the tiger shark to get photos. Crazy!

In Tahiti, I went diving a few times. One time was off Moorea and we saw at least 50 sharks on one of the dives. In Tahiti, there are so many harmless sharks that they think of them as sardines. LOL We are going to Fiji next year and I look forward to some dives there. I’ve heard the reefs are still good there.

You asked about equipment. I bought all of my equipment fairly quickly after getting certified in the 90s. I used that equipment for at least 10 years, probably more. I packed it and took it everywhere. I loved having my own equipment and dive computer because it made me feel more secure. Eventually, I did not dive enough and I was servicing the equipment periodically but not enough to feel confident it was good enough anymore. So I got rid of it. On the dive trips after 2006, I started to use rental equipment.

Amazingly, when I dive now, the skills all come back to me even when I have not dived in a year or two. I still know my buoyancy and breathing and do not use a lot of air. I have not been Nitrox certified as I think that is more common now than when I used to dive in the 90s. When I was diving in Costa Rica in 2019, they made me do a quick refresher course because I said I had not been diving in a couple of years. I aced it with no problems. By now, I am guessing I must be up to close to 300 dives. When I got to 225 dives while living in Miami, I stopped logging. No one asks for my log because I show them my advanced certification card. I do not even have my log anymore since I only logged in the 90s when I used to dive a lot.

Before I met my dive buddy, I went on local FL dives and a couple dive trips by myself and it was fine. Often, there were other divers who went alone too. Now, I dive alone again. My dive buddy lives in FL and I do not go on trips with her anymore. My husband got certified but he could not learn to breathe properly in order to control his buoyancy and he said his ears hurt. So he only went diving with me once. He kept going to the surface and he decided he did not like diving.

This is a long story but I wanted to share a little of my history. Diving is amazing and one of my favorite activities. Even if I do not see much on a dive, I love breathing the air because it slows down my breathing since I want to conserve air and that way of breathing totally relaxes me. I also enjoy the process of breathing in and out and playing around with my buoyancy.

You are going to love diving. In the beginning, it is natural to be nervous. Realistically, it will take many dives until you feel comfortable.

Please share stories about all your diving adventures. I will live through you vicariously!

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@TravelTime I wish I lived closer to where you can dive and see something. TX coast is not the place. I am not a big lake diver, again miss the tropical fish, I would do more dives if I lived in FL.

However I totally agree about Cozumel, it was so beautiful in the 1990s when I wenting diving there regularly. Last time I went was in 2016 and it was a sad state of affairs. I do try to go to more remote places to dive, as the diving is ususally better in these less travelled locations.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
@TravelTime I wish I lived closer to where you can dive and see something. TX coast is not the place. I am not a big lake diver, again miss the tropical fish, I would do more dives if I lived in FL.

However I totally agree about Cozumel, it was so beautiful in the 1990s when I wenting diving there regularly. Last time I went was in 2016 and it was a sad state of affairs. I do try to go to more remote places to dive, as the diving is ususally better in these less travelled locations.

So I am not the only one who has seen the changes from the 90s until now. I am so sad about it. I have not seen any beautiful reefs anywhere like I saw in the 90s. It is sad how things have changed in just 20 years. I was hoping I was wrong about the decline of the reefs and fish in Cozumel.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Chris, congratulations that is fantastic! You will love diving, it's a great excursion when on a tropical vacation. I've been diving since 1991 and Jack was certified in 2018. He's done about 36 dives and it's important to me that he be very very comfortable as a diver.

We don't have our own equipment, only our own masks. The equipment can be variable from the dive shops -- the Hawaii dive shops have had very good equipment, St. Thomas equipment was good, Aruba was a little suspect. If I was doing mostly Caribbean diving, I would buy my own equipment.

I'm recruiting scuba divers in my family and now five more have gotten certified under the Tibbitts program, so we have seven certified divers right now. Shooting for a dozen!

Enjoy your diving and good luck in the Bahamas! I wish I could join you and be the dive partner!

Best,

Greg

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Chris, congratulations that is fantastic! You will love diving, it's a great excursion when on a tropical vacation. I've been diving since 1991 and Jack was certified in 2018. He's done about 36 dives and it's important to me that he be very very comfortable as a diver.

We don't have our own equipment, only our own masks. The equipment can be variable from the dive shops -- the Hawaii dive shops have had very good equipment, St. Thomas equipment was good, Aruba was a little suspect. If I was doing mostly Caribbean diving, I would buy my own equipment.

I'm recruiting scuba divers in my family and now five more have gotten certified under the Tibbitts program, so we have seven certified divers right now. Shooting for a dozen!

Enjoy your diving and good luck in the Bahamas! I wish I could join you and be the dive partner!

Best,

Greg
Thank you for your insight, as always it’s so appreciated. I’m a bit nervous, but I feel better having bought my own equipment today. I got an aqualung core reg and an i470tc dive watch. I probably should have gotten the i450 since it was less money and has the digital compass. I don’t want to rely on rental equipment which I’m sure is perfectly fine, I just want to eliminate anything else I need to worry about.

I plan on doing nearly all of my dives in the Caribbean. Although my first four OW Cert dives will be in French Polynesia while on the tradewinds cruise next week. I’m super nervous/excited/nervous haha. Any words of encouragement for a claustrophobic going into the realm of monsters. For the record, I really really really want to fall in love with diving.

Edit* I returned the equipment and I’m going to buy when I know I really enjoy diving.

Last edited:

Joe T

Reaction score
Thank you for your insight, as always it’s so appreciated. I’m a bit nervous, but I feel better having bought my own equipment today. I got an aqualung core reg and an i470tc dive watch. I probably should have gotten the i450 since it was less money and has the digital compass. I don’t want to rely on rental equipment which I’m sure is perfectly fine, I just want to eliminate anything else I need to worry about.

I plan on doing nearly all of my dives in the Caribbean. Although my first four OW Cert dives will be in French Polynesia while on the tradewinds cruise next week. I’m super nervous/excited/nervous haha. Any words of encouragement for a claustrophobic going into the realm of monsters. For the record, I really really really want to fall in love with diving.

Edit* I returned the equipment and I’m going to buy when I know I really enjoy diving.

Hi, I saw this post when coming on the board to see if there were any timeshares for rent in Bonaire. I think it is good you returned the gear. I was in a similar situation as I got certified last year. I did purchase some used gear from the dive operation as they were closing operations. I purchased a BCD, regulator system, fins and a shorty wetsuit. I negotiated a free mesh bag. I got a great deal but ended up never using the BCD or fins. Why? I took my advanced class in at home in cold water. The dive shop taught using backplate/wing. Once you dive with a backplate and wing you will never want to dive in a vest again. Your equipment needs will change as you progress in diving. Another example, I had purchased a Suunto dive computer. Luckily I was able to return and purchase a Shearwater Peregrine as it is far superior for about the same price. So just dive and work on buoyancy control for now and then decide on purchasing. One more thing, with regards to regulators try to stick to a brand that is easy to get serviced. I have all Scubapro regulators because there are qualified service techs any place in the world. Good luck on your dives!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hi, I saw this post when coming on the board to see if there were any timeshares for rent in Bonaire. I think it is good you returned the gear. I was in a similar situation as I got certified last year. I did purchase some used gear from the dive operation as they were closing operations. I purchased a BCD, regulator system, fins and a shorty wetsuit. I negotiated a free mesh bag. I got a great deal but ended up never using the BCD or fins. Why? I took my advanced class in at home in cold water. The dive shop taught using backplate/wing. Once you dive with a backplate and wing you will never want to dive in a vest again. Your equipment needs will change as you progress in diving. Another example, I had purchased a Suunto dive computer. Luckily I was able to return and purchase a Shearwater Peregrine as it is far superior for about the same price. So just dive and work on buoyancy control for now and then decide on purchasing. One more thing, with regards to regulators try to stick to a brand that is easy to get serviced. I have all Scubapro regulators because there are qualified service techs any place in the world. Good luck on your dives!
Awesome, thank you for this. Although I had to buy fins for the pool dives so I’ll prob keep those and bring them with me since they are travel sized.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
I've been a certified diver since 1993. When I first got certified we went on Caribbean cruises every winter. I dove Cozumel, Caymans, Antigua and the US Virgin Islands. I also dove locally back then, mostly off Orient and Montauk Pts. I bought my own equipment because I used it enough to make sense. I went on to dive in Aruba, Curacao, Maui and the Philippines. By the late nineties my dive buddy at home stopped diving and lugging my gear around on vacation just didn't appeal to me. Fast forward to 2010 and on the plane back from Kona DS tells me he wants to take up diving. I signed him up for the courses at a local dive shop. By now all my old equipment was pretty much shot, having not been used or serviced for 10 years. After my son was certified we went to Tenerife for his first dives. He really got into it. I ended up buying new gear for both of us. We dove annually in Hawaii, Kona or Poipu. He ended up working at a local dive shop while in college. He's a certified dive instructor. He's certified in dry suits, ice diving and technical (mixed gases) diving. He joined the Navy after college, between that and covid I haven't dove since 2019.
I'd recommend having at minimum your own mask and fins. If you think you'll use them enough get your own reg, bcd and computer. I have scuba pro equipment and an oceanic computer(which I wouldn't recommend). Buy from a local dive shop that you're comfortable with, they'll be who you're going to for service and advice.