• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's it like at the Hilton Hawaiian Village now?

jestme

Reaction score
What floor are you on? They should not move you given risk of exposure in hallways, elevators and rooms. If there are elderly, immuno-compromised near they could be at risk.

It is also possible to test negative because it is too early. Please take precautions and quarantine as well until you know for sure. Take care.
Floor is irrelevant. FYI: We are both very close to 70. I am aware of the needed precautions.
Testing negative is still MUCH better than testing positive.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Updates:
Spoke to front desk. Manager followed up with me. We will be staying in this room until we leave. :)
Wife still has no symptoms. Feels fine, except for nerves.
Great news and take care.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Updates:
Spoke to front desk. Manager followed up with me. We will be staying in this room until we leave. :)
No reason to be nervous. If vaccinated and boosted, she’s experiencing exactly what she should experience - nothing. It is pretty well established that the vaccines are not highly effective at preventing infection, but are highly effective at preventing Illness.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the resort testing employees, vendors and guest around that timeshare area?

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
Well - we were in Honolulu for a week. I was there for business, so stayed in hotel for that portion M-F, on company dime. Multiple meetings, everyone masked up. Wife came along and we carried over the weekend on our dime and moved to Hawaiian Village. Both vaxxed and boosted. I started feeling a sore throat Friday night and thought it was because the room A/C was blowing right on me all week, no other symptoms (no loss of smell or taste, no fever or headache). By Sunday I was back to normal. Got home Monday night and tested, because my wife was going to travel and see our son, DIL and new granddaughter. I tested positive - her negative, still no major symptoms. On Friday, she tested again and was positive - SH*T - cancel trip. She has the sniffles, that's it.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Updates:

Great. That is the Hilton customer service and the Hawaiian Aloha that I would have expected. They ALWAYS try to keep you in the same room and with the virus it is even more important to do that. If they were 100% full in your building I could see a problem for them, but I know that can't be true this year with the lower number of tourists than usual particular from Japan.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
@jestme and @Shmiddy

Thanks for sharing your recent experience. Sorry to hear about the positive test results. But I’m glad both families are vaxxed and boosted and not dealing with any major symptoms.

Take Care and Be well.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@jestme and @Shmiddy

I also agree with @alwysonvac but wanted to add that I am glad that HHV has a plan if someone, unfortunately, does tests positive. We will be traveling to Fiesta Americana - Cabo next month and they also have a plan. If they didn't, I don't think that we would travel at this time.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
@jestme and @Shmiddy

I also agree with @alwysonvac but wanted to add that I am glad that HHV has a plan if someone, unfortunately, does tests positive. We will be traveling to Fiesta Americana - Cabo next month and they also have a plan. If they didn't, I don't think that we would travel at this time.
I have a very extensive vacation starting June 1 for almost six weeks in Europe. Hoping covid will be a memory by then, but I've been researching insurance products and have settled on one by John Hancock. Main concern is covering expenses in the event one of us tests positive and must stay in some country, or in the unlikely event one of us gets sick and needs to get back to the US. Under $600 for the two of us. It is good that the hotels have plans in place... but even better if the traveler ALSO has a plan in place!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We returned recently from a great stay at Lagoon Tower. Overall a wonderful visit. Thanks everyone for the updates:

Resort is a bit quieter and International travelers have not yet returned. Waikiki still busy. Boardwalk on beach is busy so wear masks.

re: Whale watching.
* none from Lagoon Tower - everyone was right about the shipping channels
* We saw whales from the North shore. They were quite a bit out from shore but we could see their fins and blows but we had binoculars - fantastic.
* none seen from Diamond Head on the day we went there.

Instacart worked great for both a Costco delivery and a Foodland delivery. They texted us when they arrived so we met them at the Bell Desk. Probably the best pickers I have used as they found exactly everything we requested. (I don't always get that accuracy at home and sometimes get some odd substitutes).

Pools and spas were all open.

Parking in Marina is $1/hour. We were able to park overnight and pay for up to 24 hours so no middle of the night meter feeding.

Members of our party were able to watch the Luau at HHV from the lobby of Lagoon Tower as everyone suggested. Great suggestion! This worked out great as an elder of our party who would not have been strong enough to last for the entire dinner and show. We also had 6 in our party so not worth spending over $1000 for mediocre food.

Had a wonderful dinner at Hula Grill. Got food poisoning on fish at Chart House.

We had a fun girls afternoon at Drybar in the International Market. One woman in our party was a cancer survivor and her hair just grew back so we celebrated there. They serve drinks while they blow out your hair and then we went to dinner at Hula Grill.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We returned recently from a wonderful stay at Lagoon Tower. Overall a wonderful visit. Thanks everyone for the updates:

Resort is a bit quieter and International travelers have not yet returned. Waikiki still busy. Boardwalk on beach is busy so wear masks.

re: Whale watching.
* none from Lagoon Tower - everyone was right about the shipping channels
* We saw whales from the North shore. They were quite a bit out from shore but we could see their fins and blows but we had binoculars - fantastic.
* none seen from Diamond Head on the day we went there.

Instacart worked great for both a Costco delivery and a Foodland delivery. They texted us when they arrived so we met them at the Bell Desk. Probably the best pickers I have used as they found exactly everything we requested. (I don't always get that accuracy at home and sometimes get some odd substitutes).

Pools and spas were all open.

Parking in Marina is $1/hour. We were able to park overnight and pay for up to 24 hours so no middle of the night meter feeding.

Members of our party were able to watch the Luau at HHV from the lobby of Lagoon Tower as everyone suggested. Great suggestion! This worked out great as an elder of our party who would not have been strong enough to last for the entire dinner and show. We also had 6 in our party so not worth spending over $1000 for mediocre food.

Had a wonderful dinner at Hula Grill. Got food poisoning on fish at Chart House.

We had a fun girls afternoon at Drybar in the International Market. One woman in our party was a cancer survivor and her hair just grew back so we celebrated there. They serve drinks while they blow out your hair and then we went to dinner at Hula Grill.
Saw whales from the Kaneohe Klipper golf course on the north side of Oahu last week. No binoculars needed.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Waikiki still busy. Boardwalk on beach is busy so wear masks.

Speaking of masks, what is the reality of indoor masking in Honolulu and Maui? Not asking about requirements (I know what they are), but about the reality. For example, Nevada had an indoor mask mandate during Christmas and NYE but very few bothered me about them. Mostly restaurants, so I had to mask up to walk from the front to the table, then back to normal. HGVC front desks - only 1 out of 3 Vegas properties I stayed at said a word about a mask. So I'm wondering how it looks in Hawaii.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Speaking of masks, what is the reality of indoor masking in Honolulu and Maui? Not asking about requirements (I know what they are), but about the reality. For example, Nevada had an indoor mask mandate during Christmas and NYE but very few bothered me about them. Mostly restaurants, so I had to mask up to walk from the front to the table, then back to normal. HGVC front desks - only 1 out of 3 Vegas properties I stayed at said a word about a mask. So I'm wondering how it looks in Hawaii.
In December it was nearly 100% compliance and enforcement.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I can only speak about in and around Waikiki mostly and Oahu a bit. I would say compliance is pretty good. I’ve seen a few examples of someone not wearing a mask and being asked/reminded that they need to put a mask on and they do. I’ve not seen any confrontations since there is pretty good compliance with whatever the rule(s) happen to be.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you suggest some nice restaurants near the resort? I know food is subject.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw whales from the Kaneohe Klipper golf course on the north side of Oahu last week. No binoculars needed.
What this a ship sailing tour or just a view from the Kaneohe Kipper golf course while playing golf?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
What this a ship sailing tour or just a view from the Kaneohe Kipper golf course while playing golf?
Just playing golf. It has a couple of holes along the coast and just looking out the distinctive blows of water from the whales were visible.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Can you suggest some nice restaurants near the resort? I know food is subject.
Near HHV? Here are our three favorites: Orchids, Michel’s, and Signature. Michel’s is a bit far to walk to (a bit past the Aquarium), the other two are easy walking distance. Orchids and Michel’s are waterfront. Signature is in the 40th floor of the Ala Moana Hotel with a great view. These are higher-end, not burger places. There’s also Chart House for prime rib, very close to HHV, and below it is Harbor Pizza (great happy hour drinks prices, $4.75 for mai tai). Oh, and for ice cream, avoid Lapperts and go across the street to the Ilikai Hotel where you’ll find Dave’s Ice Cream (special prices on Tuesdays). Better ice cream for half the cost.

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
Near HHV? Here are our three favorites: Orchids, Michel’s, and Signature. Michel’s is a bit far to walk to (a bit past the Aquarium), the other two are easy walking distance. Orchids and Michel’s are waterfront. Signature is in the 40th floor of the Ala Moana Hotel with a great view. These are higher-end, not burger places. There’s also Chart House for prime rib, very close to HHV, and below it is Harbor Pizza (great happy hour drinks prices, $4.75 for mai tai). Oh, and for ice cream, avoid Lapperts and go across the street to the Ilikai Hotel where you’ll find Dave’s Ice Cream (special prices on Tuesdays). Better ice cream for half the cost.
Orchids was great - very good food and service, and they had live music on the grassy area in the evenings. Charthouse also good food and service. Just beware, both places watered down the drinks FWIW. For a quick lunch or casual dinner, Tropics Bar and Grill never disappoints.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
YMMV...Two people in our party got food poisoning at Chart House. Although we have eaten there in the past with no issue we will not return.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
YMMV...Two people in our party got food poisoning at Chart House. Although we have eaten there in the past with no issue we will not return.
While I don't doubt it happened, given how busy they are and the amount of food they turn over each night, I have to believe that's quite an unusual occurrence. There just isn't opportunity for things to go stale or sit out. I've been to the Waikiki Chart House many times and never had a bad meal (though I can have 3 mai tai's downstairs below the Chart House for the cost of one in the Chart House).

For Valentine's Day we're walking down to Ruth's Chris in Waikiki. Regular menu. I appreciate that.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
While I don't doubt it happened, given how busy they are and the amount of food they turn over each night, I have to believe that's quite an unusual occurrence. There just isn't opportunity for things to go stale or sit out. I've been to the Waikiki Chart House many times and never had a bad meal (though I can have 3 mai tai's downstairs below the Chart House for the cost of one in the Chart House).

For Valentine's Day we're walking down to Ruth's Chris in Waikiki. Regular menu. I appreciate that.

That was the first Ruth Chris I had ever been to. We thought it was great.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you suggest some nice restaurants near the resort?
My #1 and #2 suggestions are both Japanese. Katsumidori Sushi Tokyo in the Prince Hotel has staggeringly good sushi at 'affordable' prices. But you need to make reservations early - in the summer we made them 60 days out and they sold out quickly thereafter.

Ginza Bairin Tonkatsu on Beach Walk has by far the best Tonkatsu (fried pork) I have ever eaten - moist, tender, and flavorful beyond belief. Unfortunately, the reservation situation is (or at least was) similar to Katsumidori Sushi. However, the next door sister restaurant, Yoshoku Bistro, also has Ginza Bairin's Tonkatsu on their menu and is much more accessible. That said be forewarned, Yoshoku itself is IMHO inedible to the western palate. It's a Japanese take on Western food first developed in the late 1800s and repopularized after WWII. 'Comfort food' that brings back memories of their childhood to Japanese visitors, you'll see items called spaghetti, croquettes, hamburger, German (potato) salad, etc. that just taste wrong to Westerners.

Just behind those is the afternoon tea at the Moana Surfrider. Truly amazing food as you look out to the ocean.

Closer to home and as @Shmiddy said, the Tropics Bar in the HHV offers a very pleasant experience (other than the wait). You get to sit outside under the netting and enjoy great drinks and perfectly fine food at (for beachfront Waikiki) reasonable prices. Another choice just down the road for great beer and reasonable food is the Waikiki Brewing Company.