• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's it like at the Hilton Hawaiian Village now?

JackieC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservation for March 8th in the Lagoon Tower. Wondered what COVID restrictions are in place besides the COVID test needed to enter Hawaii. Are any of the restaurants and bars open? How are the pools handled to socially distance? So looking forward to this trip!

Thanks, Jackie

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
See this thread for slip's report from his Christmas stay at HHV:

RVCW4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jackie,

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Lagoon Tower. We had a 2 bedroom LX on the 21st floor. Very nice room with a beautiful view. The Village itself, as the rest of Waikiki was very quiet. The stores that were open, were open 10-6. As the days went on it seemed more stores and restaurants were opening. We ate a lot in our van as most places had take out and we cooked in most nights. Overall it was a wonderful time. We did like the quiet streets but we feel bad for the mom and pop shops that are closed or struggling to stay alive. Send me a message if you have any more questions.

Rich

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservation for March 8th in the Lagoon Tower. Wondered what COVID restrictions are in place besides the COVID test needed to enter Hawaii. Are any of the restaurants and bars open? How are the pools handled to socially distance? So looking forward to this trip!

Thanks, Jackie

I stayed in the Lagoon Tower over Christmas week. Social Distance when in the lobby/common area of the property. Mandatory face mask except when eating, drinking or swimming. The elevators is max 3 people unless from the same family. Rocky's Teppan is open but you will need reservation and Pizza Hut. Lappart's ice-cream and Dairy Queen is also open for business for walk in. Starbucks, next to Diamond Head tower and in Kalia TS were closed. Then you have Ala Moana Mall food court and restaurants are open. Not sure if this is the new norm but there is no longer towel cards. Just show your room key and take as many towels as you want. Lastly, the rental equipment for the Lagoon is open.

As for the COVID test, make sure it is from an authorized COVID testing partner. Many visitors are getting caught up at the Airport with a negative test but not from an authorized test partner. Also, make sure you uploaded the test result to the Safe Traveler system. I know sites says bring a hard copy or hard copy will also suffice but reports on the news is that visitors are being delayed or turn back home because of confusion or forgetting at the departing ticket counter to annotate the negative test result. So when a visitor gets to HNL and it was not noted you departed with a negative result, you will be forced into a 10 day quarantine or you can go home that same day. This is what the site says "IMPORTANT: Test results will not be accepted once a traveler arrives in Hawaii. Travelers who do not have a negative test result prior to departing for Hawaii must self-quarantine for 10 days, without exception. Post-arrival testing and results will also not be accepted once a traveler has arrived in Hawaii. " You can claim you had one when you left but if it was never annotated, then the answer is "no you didn't have a negative test result when you left". You may also think the important note is for people getting a test when they arrive in Hawaii. Nope. The warning specially address "post arrival testing". That is why there is confusion and people, who have negative test results, are being forced in to a 10 day quarantine.

Also at check in, have your waiver from the Safe Traveler System ready because the front desk will check. There was a family ahead of me who deleted or forgot where the website was at and could not prove they had negative test result. They assumed that since they cleared the airport they would not need it any more. Well... the Hotels are required to enforce the 10 day quarantine for people that did not have a negative test. Enforcement means to call the police if they notice that you or your party left the room for any reason, even to get food. (you will need to have food delivered). With electronic key cards, it is very easy to keep track of your in and outs. Needless to say, after about 30 mins (there was only one person working the front desk) the family ahead of me finally was able to recover their negative test results.

I am not trying to scare you from going to Hawaii because Hawaii really needs the tourism income. However, I also don't want you to start your vacation stressed out, with a negative opinion about Hawaii.

JackieC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. Maybe by March a few more things will be open too. What about the pools? I heard that just two are open. How is social distancing enforced at the pool? We will both be vaccinated with our second shot 17 days before we leave for Hawaii. I know we still need the authorized COVID test, but i will feel a little better that we can take the bus around the island and be pretty safe.

Thanks for the info on the COVID test. I have been researching how we will get it and get the results back in time. It looks like a mail in service will have to be used thought there is an authorized Walgreen's about 60 miles from us listed that does the test.

RVCW4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jackie,

When we left on the 16th the only pool that wasn't open was by the Tapa tower. It appeared they opened the pool near the lagoon on the weekend we left. Chairs were socially distanced at ALL pools. We had to wear a mask anytime we were outside of our room. Unfortunately, it was really the tourists there that were less compliant. You'd see tourists wearing masks improperly, as they were just going through the motions. The locals are a little apprehensive and they appreciate us wearing our masks. Enforcement is hit and miss. We just made sure we did the right thing.

Rich

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We have COVID tests scheduled Tuesday morning (15 minute results at a local urgent care that’s Hawaii approved testing partner) and are flying to Oahu Thursday on American Airlines for 10 nights. First five nights in the Grand Islander and last five in Lagoon Tower. I’ll try and post observations. Weather looks a bit spotty, but it’s January so it ought to be a little spotty. We’ve never stayed in the GI, but they had a 50% off points deal so we thought we‘d check it out. After that it’s OF in Lagoon Tower.

JackieC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have OF booked. I've stayed in the Grand Islander. I like that it's close to the street and the bus stop for when we walked down to the downtown area of Waikiki. The views are not as good and the lanai is small. Room is very nice. We were in a one bedroom on the Hale Koa side. Had a side view of the water. I love the OF in the Lagoon so it's hard to beat that but 50% less points is a great deal for the Islander. I love the lobby area in the Grand Islander. It's so pretty.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
In Orlando right now. Just took our rapid 1hr Naat test about 2 hours ago from the local Walgreens. Took the swab and got tests back within 45 minutes.

Have already uploaded those tests to the Hawaii web site and says verified. Will be filling out the questionnaire tomorrow before our flight home on Tuesday. Hopefully get the email with the QR code shortly after that. Step off the plane, show id and qr code to person verifying it at a table at HNL airport. Then on my way to luggage claim and back to enjoying hot tub time at MKO.

Being at the front of the plane landing into HNL is preferable. You will be one of the first to go through verification. Lines can build up if you are on a full flight at rear of plane.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Anyone know if you stay in Honolulu overnight- will we need another test before flying to Hawaii Island?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Anyone know if you stay in Honolulu overnight- will we need another test before flying to Hawaii Island?

As of today for inter-island travel
From https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/

A partial inter-county travel 10-day quarantine requirement applies to all persons traveling to and between the islands of Kaua‘i, Maui, and the island of Hawai‘i. It does not include inter-county travelers arriving on O‘ahu. It also does not apply to trans-Pacific travelers connecting through Daniel K. Inouye International Airport on O‘ahu.

From Quick Facts
Traveling Inter-County (between counties)
To Bypass 10 DAY Quarantine:​
Traveling into City and County of Honolulu
No test and no quarantine required​
Traveling into County of Hawai‘i
OPTION 1: Pre-test 72 hours prior to departure, same requirements as domestic trans-Pacific; OR
OPTION 2: Post-arrival test in quarantine until negative test received and verified. May break quarantine to test.
Traveling into Maui County
Pre-test 72 hours prior to departure, same requirements as domestic trans-Pacific​
Traveling into Kaua‘i County
Must receive a negative pre-travel test result before departure and a 2nd negative test result after 72 hours at an approved Enhanced Movement Quarantine “resort bubble” property.​
• Or other exemption provided by the state or county

Last edited:

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
In Orlando right now. Just took our rapid 1hr Naat test about 2 hours ago from the local Walgreens. Took the swab and got tests back within 45 minutes.

Have already uploaded those tests to the Hawaii web site and says verified. Will be filling out the questionnaire tomorrow before our flight home on Tuesday. Hopefully get the email with the QR code shortly after that. Step off the plane, show id and qr code to person verifying it at a table at HNL airport. Then on my way to luggage claim and back to enjoying hot tub time at MKO.

Being at the front of the plane landing into HNL is preferable. You will be one of the first to go through verification. Lines can build up if you are on a full flight at rear of plane.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Hi, the Walgreens NAAT test will only take 1 hour to have the results? I wanted to have the test also but in their website it says “within 24 hours” Would you get the test results while waiting? Thanks

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hi, the Walgreens NAAT test will only take 1 hour to have the results? I wanted to have the test also but in their website it says “within 24 hours” Would you get the test results while waiting? Thanks
Take the Walgreens test twice. First time got the results emailed within 15 minutes. This test took about 50 minutes to get the results. Though this time the technician said you will receive tests in 24 hours. The first time I dont believe tech told me 24 hours.

Maybe Walgreens means it can take up to 24 hours to receive the 1hr rapid test because of crowds.

Cant wait as it is done outside in your vehicle with a que. Just took the test and drove away. Guess you could wait in their parking lot for the results.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We have COVID tests scheduled Tuesday morning (15 minute results at a local urgent care that’s Hawaii approved testing partner) and are flying to Oahu Thursday on American Airlines for 10 nights. First five nights in the Grand Islander and last five in Lagoon Tower. I’ll try and post observations. Weather looks a bit spotty, but it’s January so it ought to be a little spotty. We’ve never stayed in the GI, but they had a 50% off points deal so we thought we‘d check it out. After that it’s OF in Lagoon Tower.

So glad things are falling in place. Your just about there. It’s supposed to be windy for the next Week so that should die down after you’ve been here a couple days.

Let me know if you have time and want to meet for a drink and pupu’s somewhere.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes and no. The test must be with 72hrs of arriving to the BI. So if you took the test on a Wed, traveled to Oahu on a Friday (no quarantine in Oahu), and then travel to BI on a Saturday, your negative test may not be valid >72hrs. Also BI has a random testing, free of charge, on visitors that arrive with a negative test result. However, BI does allow for post testing. Test, Quarantine, receive result within 72 hrs, negative result = end of quarantine.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
So glad things are falling in place. Your just about there. It’s supposed to be windy for the next Week so that should die down after you’ve been here a couple days.

Let me know if you have time and want to meet for a drink and pupu’s somewhere.
Definitely. I’ll PM when we’re there.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Jackie,

We just returned from 2 weeks at the Lagoon Tower. We had a 2 bedroom LX on the 21st floor. Very nice room with a beautiful view. The Village itself, as the rest of Waikiki was very quiet. The stores that were open, were open 10-6. As the days went on it seemed more stores and restaurants were opening. We ate a lot in our van as most places had take out and we cooked in most nights. Overall it was a wonderful time. We did like the quiet streets but we feel bad for the mom and pop shops that are closed or struggling to stay alive. Send me a message if you have any more questions.

Rich

Since parking in Hilton is 49 usd/day. Do you suggest ditching the rental car? Would this be a problem since most restaurants near by are close. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Definitely. I’ll PM when we’re there.

I do still work but am home by about 5pm everyday and of course the weekends are free. We should be able to find a place I can walk to, to meet up. :thumbup:

JackieC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just rent a car for a day when I need it. The price of a daily rental car is cheaper than the parking. There are several places nearby to rent a car. I have a company rate for Herz and it is next door in the Ilikai.

Otherwise I take the bus or walk.

cathydimi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you could do a rapid covid test for Hawaii. I leave in alittle over 3 weeks.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I just rent a car for a day when I need it. The price of a daily rental car is cheaper than the parking. There are several places nearby to rent a car. I have a company rate for Herz and it is next door in the Ilikai.

Otherwise I take the bus or walk.
true but they often close relatively early so if you will be out late eating or other side of the island you can’t return in time.

mostly we just rent at the airport and pay the parking fee. pre kids we stayed at the Ilima with free parking but... not quite hgvc quality. :)

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you could do a rapid covid test for Hawaii. I leave in a little over 3 weeks.

From the Walgreens FAQ on COVID testing -

I’m traveling to Hawaii from the lower 48 states. What do I need to do?

The state of Hawaii requires visitors to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival or provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test, taken within 72 hours of departure. You must schedule an appointment with Walgreens to ensure your documentation is accepted by the state. The Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) provided by Walgreens are nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). Both types are approved by the state of Hawaii, however the turnaround results time may vary. The Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW) is not an approved test for travel to Hawaii.