• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sticky - Give back your unwanted wyndham Timeshare - Wyndham Ovations / Wyndham Cares / Certified Exit

PeterS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are the first and only to report the free usage with resale when given back. My speculation is that perhaps they were coded as retail but it never hurts to ask when inquiring about certified exit.

Maybe of those who reported here but I have heard of others (unconfirmed).
Here are some possible reasons I think it worked out for us:

We purchased our resale units as pure weeks before the resort was bought by Fairfield.
Maybe they gave us all retail status when they took over.

A few years later they offered to convert it to points for a small fee (if I remember correctly under $1000 for two weeks), which we did,
Maybe the point conversion changed us to retail status.

I bet many longtime owners, who have been through many changes of Fairfield/ Wyndham, weeks/points may not know what their unit is coded as.
I know I didn't, and actually still don't know what it was coded...
Even the Ovation team member couldn't explain why, but recommended to grab it before it goes away.
When I contacted them about 3 months later to make sure everything was fine they said I was lucky as they were no longer offering the 3 years usage to anyone at my old resort.

I am just trying to point out that from my experience, there are no hard and fast rules... they seem to change at the will of Wyndham,
So again ask for everything and if you like the offer... grab it. If not, wait a few months and try again.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Re Shell Vacation's Certified Exit program

As of today, Sept 14, 2021 the three weeks we own at the Mountainside Lodge in Whistler BC, are not being accepted into Shell's Certified Exit program.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it is interesting that resorts outside the US seem to be excluded from many of the major deedback programs. I believe it relates to the added complexity or issues with closing costs and or changing ownership in a different country (or at least thats the only excuse ive heard from an executive relating to one of those programs)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
it is interesting that resorts outside the US seem to be excluded from many of the major deedback programs. I believe it relates to the added complexity or issues with closing costs and or changing ownership in a different country (or at least thats the only excuse ive heard from an executive relating to one of those programs)
I think there are also laws prohibiting (or at least making it very difficult) for these foreign properties to be put in an American land trust and that is what many of the big guys are selling almost exclusively now.

Mary Dew

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points for Limetree
I called yesterday about getting out of my F/W St. Thomas Limetree contract (205K points) because the maintenance fees are skyrocketing by 87% from 2020 to 2021. I assumed this was a mistake, but the rep informed me that the resort's Board of Directors voted in October to pass on the costs from hurricane damage repairs and increased insurance premiums to the owners. In the 20 years I have owned with Wyndham (first Fairfield) I have never felt this aggrieved.

I was given three exit options:
  1. Transfer to an eligible family member - no cost, maintain MF for 3-4 months until transfer is complete
  2. Outright Certified Exit - no cost, no payout, maintain MF for 3-4 months until exit is complete
  3. Limited Edition Certified Exit - surrender all of my points (note: I have another 405K in CWA) and use them to travel for 3 years, free from MF
The rep also gave me the address for the St. Thomas BOD, to file a complaint; and she also provided information for Wyndham's two featured resellers, who she said are rated well by the BBB and charge no listing fees (no details on their commission though, or whether Wyndham gets a kick back on it):
  1. Fidelity Real Estate 800-410-6889
  2. Timeshare Brokers Associates 877-624-6889
This is the first time in two decades that I have felt unfairly taken advantage of since owning this timeshare. I guess I'm fortunate that it took this long.
Have you been able to get any information on the increase. I missed the assessment so 10 months into the year I see my maintenance fees for Limetree went up 200% $380 to $999 plus management fee. I called but no one returned call. Thanks for any information you can share.

gdstuart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham math at its best.
Call me cynical, but it just might be possible that it's Wyndham creative accounting, not creative math. By posting the "consideration of $9,749" as their cost, they get to deduct it on their corporate return, even though the actual cost was zero. No taxing authority is going to audit a $10K deduction on a gigantic corporate return unless they detect a systematic pattern of abuse (which this just might be, but we'll never know). I wonder how they posted my Suites at Fisherman's Wharf week I deeded back to them a few years back? Certainly a hunk of San Francisco real estate is worth a gentle exaggeration of value, no?

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Our Certified Exit odyssey has ended with successful transfer of our Shell Vacations Club ownership back to SVC.

It began on November 10, 2020, when we sent an email to SVC Member Services via the link on the member website. Later that day we received an email describing the Certified Exit program and the requirements and giving us a phone number to call. On Nov. 12 we spoke to a Wyndham CE rep, who spent quite a bit of time explaining the details and answering all our questions. He also looked up our contracts (we had two) and confirmed that they were eligible for the program, then later that day sent us an email containing all the specifics (see attached). The most important detail for us was that there was no cost, but we did have to pay the member fees each month until the transfer was complete (we did not have to pay the entire 2021 MF assessment).

We were told that it would take several weeks before we received documents, and sure enough, the next time we heard from them was on January 20, 2021, when we received a 2-page Irrevocable Assignment of Shell Owners Club Membership, which had to be signed and notarized, and a one-page Owner(s) Acknowledgment Form specifically stating that if we had paid anyone to help us with the process, we should demand our money back! (I've attached a copy of that document too, but not the Irrevocable Assignment document.) We sent them back on Jan. 21, and again, no response until March 16 when we emailed them asking for follow-up, and they replied that our documents had been approved and forwarded to the cancelation department. Then finally, in today's mail we received letters dated April 11, 2021, confirming that final processing of our contract cancellation has been completed. Hooray!

So, the only cost to us was four months of MFs, plus having the documents notarized and mailed (USPS Priority Mail). We were happy with the process, other than its taking five months, and don't regret it. If anyone has questions, I'll try to answer them!
It took 7 months to "give" our Wyn unit back - paid 7 months of MF = lost

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
It took 7 months to "give" our Wyn unit back - paid 7 months of MF = lost
Wow, now we feel we were lucky it only took four months for us! But we sure don’t miss paying those MFs and actually don’t miss having that TS at all. So we’re glad we did it, and I hope you’ll be glad you did it too.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Wow, now we feel we were lucky it only took four months for us! But we sure don’t miss paying those MFs and actually don’t miss having that TS at all. So we’re glad we did it, and I hope you’ll be glad you did it too.
Yes we are, we’re not able to travel so much now

Twenty20

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham FF Glade
I plan to use Certified Exit at some point in the next year. Reading through the details, I believe I will qualify. Just trying to determine the best timing of how to do it.

Details:
126k points (converted fixed week) CLUB WYNDHAM® Select. No loan. Was developer bought years ago, which I inherited.

I have reservations to use most all of my points for 2022 in March '22.

Also have 157k RCI points good though Dec 2023.

Assuming I qualify for the 3 years of free points... when does the "start"? Should I wait until late next year (2022) to start the exit (to get points '23-'25)? Or can I do that anytime after the first of the year?

Also re: RCI, I understand that I'll need to book the RCI reservation prior to starting the exit. But as long as that's booked, I'm good even if the RCI reservation it's after my exit date?

Thanks!

paulharr58

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Shearwater, Royal Gardens
Also planning to use CE next year...they won't start process with any outstanding reservations, and all TS don't qualify for the Limited Edition, 3 years points...even though I have a 400k unit at Shearwater, Kauai, because I transferred it from a week to points with them, they won't allow it to qualify...only upside is getting out of the MF's...

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Also planning to use CE next year...they won't start process with any outstanding reservations, and all TS don't qualify for the Limited Edition, 3 years points...even though I have a 400k unit at Shearwater, Kauai, because I transferred it from a week to points with them, they won't allow it to qualify...only upside is getting out of the MF's...
For desirable weeks that don't qualify for Limited Edition, you might want to give away and see if you can find a taker willing to pay the transfer fee and depending on how many points you are leaving them have them reimburse some of the MF's during the transfer process.

WynOwner54

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert
Hello. I hope it is okay to post on this thread. I am a long time owner and occasional reader of TUG. I signed up for an account today because I need some advice.

Anyway, I am Gold VIP owner with 700,000 points I bought directly from Wyndham. I also bought 4 contracts on eBay for a total of 800,000. So, I own a total of 1,500,000 points. I would like to give my resale contracts back to Wyndham through Certified Exit.

1. Can I do that?
2. What happens to my reservations during the exit process. Am I not allowed to use my account for the 6 months it may take to exit?
3. I understand I need to keep paying maintenance fees on the contracts during this process. Should I use all of my points first before going through the program?

Thank you for your help.

jr80

Reaction score
Question about rescission...

Do I have to mail the letter within 5 days or do they have to receive the letter within 5 days? I don't see anything clearly separating the two in the law.
Also, 5 business days or calendar days? Conrarct says calendar days.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Question about rescission...

Do I have to mail the letter within 5 days or do they have to receive the letter within 5 days? I don't see anything clearly separating the two in the law.
Also, 5 business days or calendar days? Conrarct says calendar days.

This thread is actually focused on deeding back ownership to Wyndham rather than contract rescission. You might be better off asking these questions in the forum on Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares. In any case, to answer your first question, the date you mail the letter has to be within the deadline - it doesn't really matter what date they receive it. You are right to be looking into what it says in the law; it's the State law that would govern the rescission period rather than what it says in the contract unless the contract is more generous and has a longer rescission period. The contract will provide you with the proper process to follow for rescinding it, though, including whether registered or certified mail is the proper method. It's best if you keep a record of the date on which you took action to rescind the contract by whatever method you use and it doesn't hurt to use multiple methods (mail, fax, email, etc.).

There are a few threads in this forum that cover how to rescind a Wyndham contract that include further information on the subject that would be helpful if it's a Wyndham one you're asking about.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This thread is actually focused on deeding back ownership to Wyndham rather than contract rescission. You might be better off asking these questions in the forum on Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares. In any case, to answer your first question, the date you mail the letter has to be within the deadline - it doesn't really matter what date they receive it. You are right to be looking into what it says in the law; it's the State law that would govern the rescission period rather than what it says in the contract unless the contract is more generous and has a longer rescission period. The contract will provide you with the proper process to follow for rescinding it, though, including whether registered or certified mail is the proper method. It's best if you keep a record of the date on which you took action to rescind the contract by whatever method you use and it doesn't hurt to use multiple methods (mail, fax, email, etc.).

There are a few threads in this forum that cover how to rescind a Wyndham contract that include further information on the subject that would be helpful if it's a Wyndham one you're asking about.
You send send such a document anyway by certified mail so there is a record of when you mailed it.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
You send [should] such a document anyway by certified mail so there is a record of when you mailed it.

That seems to be what the Nevada State law on the subject says based on a quote of it provided by @jr80. I had included registered mail because that is typically what is necessary for international TS rescissions (e.g., Mexico) and the particular resort wasn't identified.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Maybe of those who reported here but I have heard of others (unconfirmed).
Here are some possible reasons I think it worked out for us:

We purchased our resale units as pure weeks before the resort was bought by Fairfield.
Maybe they gave us all retail status when they took over.

A few years later they offered to convert it to points for a small fee (if I remember correctly under $1000 for two weeks), which we did,
Maybe the point conversion changed us to retail status.

I bet many longtime owners, who have been through many changes of Fairfield/ Wyndham, weeks/points may not know what their unit is coded as.
I know I didn't, and actually still don't know what it was coded...
Even the Ovation team member couldn't explain why, but recommended to grab it before it goes away.
When I contacted them about 3 months later to make sure everything was fine they said I was lucky as they were no longer offering the 3 years usage to anyone at my old resort.

I am just trying to point out that from my experience, there are no hard and fast rules... they seem to change at the will of Wyndham,
So again ask for everything and if you like the offer... grab it. If not, wait a few months and try again.

A few years ago, we converted four fixed weeks to points. All four had been purchased on eBay and all four were converted at the same time. Two were labeled developer points, two were labeled resale points. Good chance that's when the re-categorization happened for you.

MJC73

Reaction score
Hi. Brand new, just found this site a few minutes ago.
I am here as my mother-in-law is looking to sell her Wyndham timeshare. My father-in-law just passed 3 weeks ago and though they enjoyed ownership for a number of years, she's not going to use the timeshare without him.
Where do I start to help her with the process of selling? Read this forum? Is there a FAQ for guide for the process of selling?
Going to try to learn the process and help her avoid getting scammed.
Thanks.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi. Brand new, just found this site a few minutes ago.
I am here as my mother-in-law is looking to sell her Wyndham timeshare. My father-in-law just passed 3 weeks ago and though they enjoyed ownership for a number of years, she's not going to use the timeshare without him.
Where do I start to help her with the process of selling? Read this forum? Is there a FAQ for guide for the process of selling?
Going to try to learn the process and help her avoid getting scammed.
Thanks.

welcome to TUG

seascapemvy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what to do in the future, if Wyndham will not take back a contract and it has to be left in my estate, can I leave it to them in my will?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was wondering what to do in the future, if Wyndham will not take back a contract and it has to be left in my estate, can I leave it to them in my will?

Leaving it to them in your will would not definitely remove it from your estate as they would have the option of declining to accept it as an inheritance, just like any other heir. You could do it and they might take it, but they could also choose to decline it and foreclose instead in order to potentially get additional MFs from the estate.

MickeyBlue

Reaction score
While browsing ebay listings, I noticed that a few Wyndham resale listings said you can not transfer the unit into your name if you ever took part in the Ovations program.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
While browsing ebay listings, I noticed that a few Wyndham resale listings said you can not transfer the unit into your name if you ever took part in the Ovations program.
That may be true if you've done a full exit, especially if it was with retail points and you received three years of free usage. But I returned two contracts through Ovations while keeping ownership of three others, and I've bought resale since then with no issues.