• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham eliminating mega-renters

troy12n

Reaction score
It's all about a willing buyer and a willing seller. You are neither. You are a bystander with no standing to criticize what others do or did.

You are also really annoying.

I'm an affected owner just like the rest of you who have been pi$$ed for a while about the rampant abuse by mega renters and am glad Wyndham is doing something about this finally.

It's very telling how a handful of owners seemingly have no idea what they own in terms of MF right now. A lot of this is coming out in the wash right now in the forums. I guess that really didn't matter when the points were used to churn personal income. But when the music stopped and they are holding the bag of millions of points they now can't use, I guess it's a wake up call to them and a frantic dash to dump points.

I do feel sympathy for owners who bought some extra points for pesonal and family and were used to leveraging their VIP privileges onto those points. It sucks for them. I was considering buying some for the same purposes. I still might. But in the ~150k-250k range, not millions. But they, just like I, know who to blame... some of the more vocal people in this very thread.

So i'm entitled to my opinion just as much as anyone else. You can put me on ignore if you think i'm annoying.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
The "con" was trying to pass-off the stripped contracts as a "Smoking deal" which is the criterion for a TUG Bargain Deal.

That’s…an interesting definition of con. He wasn’t hiding anything, he wasn’t lying about anything, he worked to make sure people understood the severe limitations of what he was offering. But it was posted in the wrong location, and so it’s a “con.”

Sometimes you have valid points, and even when I disagree, you have a distinct perspective that adds to the discussion, but too often vitriol gets in the way. Calling it a “con” is just more vitriol.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s…an interesting definition of con. He wasn’t hiding anything, he wasn’t lying about anything, he worked to make sure people understood the severe limitations of what he was offering. But it was posted in the wrong location, and so it’s a “con.”
Yes, and that is why it was recognized as a "con" by TUG (not just me) (and prohibited in the TUG Bargain Basement).

What? You think I am in charge of the TUG Bargain Basement?

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
only on TUG could something like this get dug up from 5 years ago, to again beat up the dead horse. Sorry for that analogy Ron.

I learned a lot from Ron about W, enough to know I wanted nothing to do with that system. I have a lot of respect for how he was willing to share his knowledge here.

For people that followed him he made it perfectly clear what he was doing getting rid of stripped contracts. TUG rules got changed, big deal, stuff changes all the time, get over it and move on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Yes, and that is why it was recognized as a "con" by TUG (not just me) (and prohibited in the TUG Bargain Basement).

What? You think I am in charge of the TUG Bargain Basement?
Can you point me to the post in question where a representative of TUG (was it TUGBrian or a mod?) referred to it as a “con”? Unfortunately, “con” is too short a term to be searchable on the forum so I can’t find it.

You do realize that “doesn’t fit the criteria” is not synonymous with “con.” Someone may post on last minute rentals with the wrong dates and they get taken down, but nobody says it’s a con.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG rules got changed, big deal, stuff changes all the time, get over it and move on.
Good advice, now and in the past.

[Club Wyndham] rules got changed, big deal, stuff changes all the time, get over it and move on.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you point me to the post in question where a representative of TUG (was it TUGBrian or a mod?) referred to it as a “con”?
C'mon. Do you really believe the [poster] did not know what he was doing at the time in 2016?

Does not really matter. TUG ended the crappy Wyndham contracts ads in the Bargain Basement in 2016, then Wynham changed the Credit Pool to Points Deposit and ended crappy, stripped contracts for all time.

Last edited by a moderator:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between a loophole and a glitch? Asking for a friend.
Yes a glitch was not very beneficial to my travel needs as it caused a negative balance. You could also consider most Wyndham updates to their website contain some type of glitch that may hinder a owner from using the website.. A loophole on the other hand helped VIP owners game the system by using millions of resale points with VIP discounts and free upgrades. What made this loophole worse were the owners that used the reservations as rentals for personal financial gain. The rentals limited needed inventory for owners to book for personal use.

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Wow, I am appalled and sad at how rude and judgmental people are being on here. And forever thankful for my TUG friends that have posted over the years, and now.

I found TUG because of a con. That word applies for sure. Sorry if it offends anyone, but I can tell you with 99% certainly I would never have owned a timeshare, developer or resale, had Wyndham not conned my father. Seriously, 1.4M points sold to an 80+ year old? And so I found TUG. 1st because of Wyndham conning my Dad to purchase way too many points than he could use, secondly because he then paid someone $5000 to take it off his hands. Thankfully I found TUG, the $5000 was on a credit card and within a cancellation period, and so my Dad cancelled that transaction, I joined TUG, and so it began.

It's fair to say everything I learned, I learned on TUG. I will forever be thankful for the open discussions we've had over the years here. Some TUGgers have been extremely forthcoming. I am grateful over the years and now. And so very sorry to see the changes in the TUG 'culture', the rude and inconsiderate comments are out of line, IMO. You've always needed tough skin to be here, but anyone should feel comfortable posting their scenario and getting input. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But stating it once and without judgmental innuendoes would be most appreciated. It's a shame we can't openly discuss some things that are pretty important without the constant jabbing and I told you so's.

While I'm posting, I realize it's beating a dead horse, and I've tended to ignore a lot these days. But...I am going to comment on the cancel/rebook. History is important. I am beyond tired of hearing people refer to it a loophole, etc. Nothing I have done (after learning here) have I done without first verifying with Wyndham, multiple times, that it was okay. I was super surprised to learn it was okay to cancel/rebook. I called multiple times and talked to different VC's to confirm it was okay. Still I was nervous, what if I lost the reservation? Conversations would go like this: First they'd tell you very emphatically and positively that it was okay. Even so much that they'll do it for you. Nervous, they would offer to do it for you. And then go on to tell you how good they are at it. They would tell you how they'd never lost any, or only lost one, etc, etc. This was VC's, not sales, that's the people we call to confirm how things work. Sales is a whole other discussion - they totally used it as a sales tool without any mention of risk. I sat in one meeting with my Dad (comically, I would not go, he would, but they would want him to come back with me the next day). Again pimping the cancel/rebook to my Dad, and me saying but you could lose the reservation - and sales then agreeing, well yeah, but you never do. So, yeah, all good things come to an end. But again, the con there started with Wyndham.

That is just one example. I won't go on with the many others that I could. Wyndham, over and over, cannot specifically put forth defined, enforceable rules. It's deliberate. It's their con. They are not good people. The new "rules" are no exception. "Rules" in quotes, because we still don't know what they are.

Timeshares are shady because the timeshare companies are shady. It starts at the top. I'll stop now, other than to say, I wish there were a safe place, perhaps a closed group, where things could openly and honestly be discussed without the I told you so comments from the peanut gallery. I miss that.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I know several people who are using Certified Exit. They were kind enough to share information with me to help me come to a decision about what I want to do.

Some things in the terms and conditions under Ovations are the same for Certified Exit but not all.

One thing I noticed right away are the timeframes. What was then 8-10 weeks and 6-8 weeks for the two steps of the process under Ovations is currently 9-12 weeks and 8-10 weeks with Certified Exit. I'd guess that's due to the increased work load this change is bringing.
Not truly being able to know what would happen if I used Ovations (when I was looking at some things it was before Certified Exit) is what kept me from using the program. It's beyond frustrating that Wyndham cannot provide details so people can make informed decisions. I've said it before, as with all things Wyndham, do your research, and then do what you think is going to work for you, and see how it ends up. Because with Wyndham you just never know for sure.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
You would think if the current owner pre paid all of the current years MF's they could transfer the contract with 0 points or if the transfer is initiated in the last 3-4 months of the use year since the new owner would not have time to use any points once transferred. This would be a common sense approach but Developers aren't always guilty of having common sense.
This is really frustrating to me. I don't understand why we can't say the maintenance is paid for 2021. Why can't the new owner take over Jan 2022 with Jan 2022 points forward. Instead, uncertainty abounds, as with all things Wyndham.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I am not an attorney, but I know there is a lot more to it than that. Disclosure, to name only one.

Make it a willing and informed buyer and a willing and informed seller. Better?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
@Sandi Bo I completely agree with you. This is a different TUG than it has been in the past. When we bought our platinum account, I had several people advising us, including BocaBum99 and Jya-Ning, if I remember his name correctly. I could look it up. Believe me, there are many more Wyndham "mega renters" that are watching these threads and are not posting. They are not going to post here, believe me, with all of this hate, as if we have been taking inventory from regular owners who think they should be able to book anytime they want, anything they want.

What makes these non-VIP owners think anything will be so different? You must plan ahead. Ebay is proof that people are still paying to get out of their timeshares, and a lot of the sales' pitch on getting out is exactly for that reason. People don't plan ahead and cannot get the exact thing they want, the moment they want it. Instant gratification is not how timeshares work. Prime dates go quickly. I gave the example of our Hono Koa and the competition for the whale season weeks.

I didn't run the timeshare rental business, our daughter did that and I didn't worry about it. I didn't have to worry about it, so I didn't check to see what fees were.

Some of the owners who are angry have posted in Last Minute Rentals, as though you never rent anything. What if Wyndham stops you from renting anything at all? What if Wyndham decides at some point that you must be present any time a guest is added?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
To be clear, it appears to be primarily one poster who seems to feel he was wronged somehow. He made it a personal vendetta to get Ron's listings removed, and continues to insist on bad mouthing him and calling him a "con" and implying that the TUG powers that be agreed (although to the best of my knowledge not one of them ever called what he was listing a "con", just that it did not fit what they defined as the purpose of the bargain forum).

I'm of the opinion that not much will change in the long run with regards to availability.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I'm of the opinion that not much will change in the long run with regards to availability.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. There's got to be a pretty large number of unused points out there right now that will have to work it's way through the system, but once we get past that hump things will likely stabilize close to where they were before, particularly for the average Wyndham owner booking around the four month point. Might be some minor changes at the margins, but it probably won't be a sea change in things unless Wyndham adopts owner prioritization more permanently - and I don't see that happening given the impact it has on Extra Holidays. Everyone will have to come up with a different bogeyman to blame now that Wyndham has slain the megarenter dragon.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who's buying those million plus point Wyndham contracts on eBay? Any TUGers out there buying these? Is there a new breed of up and coming mega renters buying these? I've seen about a dozen of them listed for sale so far.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
only on TUG could something like this get dug up from 5 years ago, to again beat up the dead horse. Sorry for that analogy Ron.

I learned a lot from Ron about W, enough to know I wanted nothing to do with that system. I have a lot of respect for how he was willing to share his knowledge here.

For people that followed him he made it perfectly clear what he was doing getting rid of stripped contracts. TUG rules got changed, big deal, stuff changes all the time, get over it and move on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I said it before and I'll say it again, Ron was a rockstar when it came to working Wyndham. I too learned a lot and I also found his writings entertaining. Wyndham should have hired him to picked his brain. Wyndham would be a lot better off now if they did, in my opinion.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Wyndham should have hired him to picked his brain.

I think that's what they did, in a way. He gave them information and strategies, and they settled with him financially.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I disagree with the logic and assessment that nothing much will change with respect to availability. Let's use a logic example here since Ron did so earlier. The first is with respect to those who keep saying they all played by the rules - just to make abundantly clear that this is factually a false statement:

All CWP reservations made for commercial rental purposes violate Wyndham Commercial Use Terms & Conditions
Commercial renters made tens of thousands of reservations consisting of hundreds of millions of points for commercial rental purposes
Therefore commercial renters violated Wyndham Commercial Use Terms & Conditions

True or False?

True (IMHO)

Now let's use another logic example regarding availability:

Every rental reservation booked for a non-Wyndham renter removes that exact amount of available inventory for an actual Wyndham vacation owner
Commercial renters made hundreds of millions of points rental reservations (at least)
Therefore commercial renters removed hundreds of millions of points of inventory availability for renters that was made inaccessible to Wyndham vacation owners

True or False?

True (IMHO)

It is basic logic that whenever anyone books a reservation that consumes available inventory from the system - that exact piece of inventory is no longer available to anyone else in the system. If you booked hundreds/thousands of reservations for renters during your ownership span - then that exact amount of inventory was in point of fact removed from the system and no longer available to any other owners in the system. The system was designed to allow owners vs owners to compete for available inventory - points chasing reservations as Ron stated. It is not currently designed to accommodate commercial rental businesses using up large blocks of points for non-Wyndham renters in comparison (not since Voyager was rolled out). This fact is why megarenters were exited from the entire system back in 2016 yes? Unless my logic is wrong here, which is possible since I'm only one person, I'm really at a loss to understand how we can say with a straight face that availability won't change when hundreds of millions of points will be recovered as more megarenters exit the current system.

Does that mean as @paxsarah said that there won't be unhappy owners who wait until the last minute to attempt to book a prime season reservation and then complain that there's no availability? No it does not. There will always be people who complain about any system because they don't understand how to use it to their advantage. But freeing up hundreds of millions of points (at least) that were being consumed solely by renters that will be consumed solely by owners is a significant step in the right direction and will have a net positive impact on owners booking vacations. Exactly how the owner base consumes the extra inventory (planners vs impromptu) really is immaterial - and therefore all of the arguments as to which owners consume inventory really is moot. As @Eric B said - it will take time for these changes to play out - and if Wyndham doesn't observe the results they expect - I would expect more actions to further encourage the cessation of commercial timeshare rental business activities.

Now to respond to a couple of underlying tones that I've observed repeatedly here on TUG that I think are changing - at least in part - and to demonstrate some sensitivity to those who are seeing the death of the old as we move toward something new (whatever that may be). As @Sandi Bo and @rickandcindy23 have demonstrated in recent posts - there's a sense of "us vs them" on two levels that I've observed. The first level is Wyndham vs TUG. The TUG culture in the past has largely created an environment that encourages an "us vs them" attitude with respect to Wyndham. I am not the type of person to buy into this perspective. I believe in building bridges to effect change for the better for all involved - and I try to lead by example - which is why I've worked extremely hard over the past three years to build strategic relationships with key resources at Wyndham. With that in mind, I'm going to use something @Sandi Bo posted as an example of what we should try to avoid IMHO:

That is just one example. I won't go on with the many others that I could. Wyndham, over and over, cannot specifically put forth defined, enforceable rules. It's deliberate. It's their con. They are not good people. The new "rules" are no exception. "Rules" in quotes, because we still don't know what they are.

I've bolded the words I take issue with. Who is they? It appears They is Wyndham. IME there are many good people at Wyndham - just like the many good people here at TUG - who are simply trying to support their families as best possible via the income that working at Wyndham generates, just like there are many people running commercial rental businesses here on TUG to support their families as best possible using Wyndham timeshare inventory. Because I reject the "us vs them" premise, IMHO I think we need to be extremely careful with our words when we make statements like this, because when we do so it colors our entire outlook at a fundamental level. Now that said, do I think that's what @Sandi Bo really meant? With respect to Wyndham - I doubt it - but only she can answer that question - but I don't believe that all Wyndham people are bad people - just as I don't believe the folks here on TUG are bad people - because my experience with all of these people tells me otherwise (whether Wyndham or TUG). But that's me - because I believe in building bridges and relationships to work together to make things better for all involved. I believe in tearing down walls that promote division.

This brings us to the second level of "us vs them" and that's what we see playing out on this thread. The old perspectives vs the new perspectives. I suspect that at least a part of Sandi's response was actually an attempt to shift blame away from the megarenters and toward Wyndham - and at least in part given Wyndham once encouraged the exact behaviors they are now attempting to discourage - there's at least some validity in taking this approach. I also recognize that she and many others who have been here for a long time are seeing other folks that they have built relationships with via TUG come under scrutiny, and that's never easy to watch - and we often want to come to the defense of those we care about when this type of thing plays out. That is natural - it is even healthy to do and to see happen. This is likely a process we will continue to see play out here on TUG in the ensuing months. It is a healthy process and in many ways its a necessary process to get to the other side of all of this. When we come across especially contentious topics where we will inevitably disagree - we will likely have to simply agree to disagree and/or suspend debate to allow calmer heads to prevail.

The last point I wish to make is about the old vs the new perspectives. History teaches us that the new perspectives will eventually win out. That's just how it almost always works out. The young eventually replace the old. We are all navigating a state of transition for the Wyndham system here on TUG. It won't be easy for the older TUG folks to sit by and watch the death of commercial rental businesses - especially those who were running those businesses or had family or close friends doing so - since part of their livelihood is likely coming to an end. Having recently gone through a significant forced career change myself due to my company being acquired last year - I can certainly empathize with the prospect of having to face an uncertain future with respect to bringing in a paycheck. Overall - let's try to embrace the "seek first to understand before being understood" proverb when it comes to contentious topics. :cool:

Last edited:

troy12n

Reaction score
@HitchHiker71 very factual representation.

People running businesses out of their timeshares created this mess. They are now playing the victim game. Which in my opinion is completely pathetic.

And are hiding behind half truths or outright lies to justify their prior business practices. Like I said in a previous post, it's very telling now that people are going through their ownership portfolio and fining out that they have millions of points at pretty awful MF... and when they were able to "turn and burn" reservations to cover those expenses it didn't matter. But now that the faucet is about to be forcibly shut off, oh baby!

It's 2am, the music stopped, the lights are coming on...

I guess back in the day, TUG was more welcoming of people who make a game out of cheating the system. I'm sure a lot of you learned some really questionable practices from people back in the day too. Under the guise of "well, they aren't stopping us"... please.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
These resale Wyndham points will go to new buyers, who will attend a timeshare presentation with their million resale points, a salesperson will show them the benefits of Platinum and buying some points to bring everything into Platinum, and those same points will be used at discounts and for reservations way ahead of the slackers who don't book what they need soon enough. I can guarantee this will happen. There will be bargains to get platinum, just like my price to get platinum in 2007. It's always tempting, it tempted me.

Even the exchange game means planning ahead. There are people with retrades that are grabbing things before I can get to them, simply because there is a time difference of 2 hours. I saw posts this morning of II's Westin weeks on Maui and Kauai. A lot were gone by the time I got up at 6:30 Mountain Time. Planning ahead works. I could have entered reasonable ongoing searches to catch some of this inventory, but I didn't do it. My fault. I tried to get a 2 bed with a one bed deposit. If I would have requested a one bed with a one bed deposit, I would have matched. I know the game and am not bitter.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@HitchHiker71 very factual representation.

People running businesses out of their timeshares created this mess. They are now playing the victim game. Which in my opinion is completely pathetic.

And are hiding behind half truths or outright lies to justify their prior business practices. Like I said in a previous post, it's very telling now that people are going through their ownership portfolio and fining out that they have millions of points at pretty awful MF... and when they were able to "turn and burn" reservations to cover those expenses it didn't matter. But now that the faucet is about to be forcibly shut off, oh baby!

It's 2am, the music stopped, the lights are coming on...

I guess back in the day, TUG was more welcoming of people who make a game out of cheating the system. I'm sure a lot of you learned some really questionable practices from people back in the day too. Under the guise of "well, they aren't stopping us"... please.
I am not a victim. I am getting out as gracefully as Wyndham will allow me to get out. It's up to them. This is not going to change my life in any way. Not one iota. It will change our daughter's life. I love her more than any Wyndham profits.

What mess are you talking about, anyway?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is really frustrating to me. I don't understand why we can't say the maintenance is paid for 2021. Why can't the new owner take over Jan 2022 with Jan 2022 points forward. Instead, uncertainty abounds, as with all things Wyndham.
Right! I don't understand that at all. Wyndham may change this for those of us who want out. After all, it's going to be less complaining from Wyndham owners who cannot book whatever they want, whenever they want because of all of the "mega renters" who are stealing their vacations.