• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Koala fills a niche that others may not see quite yet, but I see it as a great alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
This same, or similar, functionality now exists on KOALA under the "Stays" menu option. Once on "Stays", just enter the Where To and it will show all resorts and dates for that location/resort.
Clicked on Stays, typed in and found Marriott Aruba Surf Club then clicked the search icon. Nothing......

Update you have to be logged in to use the stays functionality and then it works. Thank you! They may need a tutorial on how to best navigate the website.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Clicked on Stays, typed in and found Marriott Aruba Surf Club then clicked the search icon. Nothing......

Update you have to be logged in to use the stays functionality and then it works. Thank you! They may need a tutorial on how to best navigate the website.
I have had that issue with having to be logged in, but as I type this I just searched Aruba Surf Club and clicked search and it returned results. Without having to be logged in. The search function seems to be a little buggy at times, for Stays and regular search.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
For those of you who do not want to try Koala, I have to say that some of us are laughing all the way to the bank. I know of one mega renter that used to post on TUG a lot who is doing very well on Koala. I won't say who it is, but he has a lot of postings on Koala. You can see his name, if you look at the Wyndham ads. You can figure it out for yourself.

Don't want to jinx our luck, but no upfront costs on our points is making me love Koala. I personally want this to succeed because paying per listing for 3-4 days is expensive, especially when they don't rent.

If you have Wyndham points to use, Koala really wants weekends for summer. They get more requests than they have inventory.

Marriott owners, price your weeks higher than you would with Redweek to cover the difference in costs. I am not saying to stop using Redweek, I use Redweek a lot myself, but give Koala your listings as well and see if they can be a competitor with Redweek.

It's easy to list. Don't undercut your price at all. Just price it at you would like to make in net profit.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Some of us have nothing against Koala... just haven't had much luck there. I have (and have had) several rentals on there already. My biggest frustrations are the time it takes to get a reservation validated and listed (1-4 days in my experience) and no feed back as to interest. I realize the latter is really my issue. I am not a mega renter and am fairly new to boot. If I knew exactly where and how to plan and book I expect I wouldn't care about feedback. I would l know the interest level already. I am learning slowly, but also don't have a ton of time to devote to this.

To your point of renting for profit, I believe these sites work great for those with multiple millions of points that can balance the books with only a dollar or two per 1K points (Wyndham here) extra over their MFs. They also work well for those dumping points at cost to avoid MF. I haven't convince myself that individuals can be competitive on them if they are hoping for more. Koala just posted a message / plea on a Wyndham FB group guaranteeing amounts for weekend and week rentals at certain resorts. They only worked out to be $6.5/1K which doesn't even cover my cost for the points.

Anyway... I am rooting for them as I do much prefer the zero upfront costs and hope to improve my "game" over time. Since I often rent last minute availability I regularly skip listing on Koala because of the time it takes to verify though. Maybe I am doing it wrong. :)

Grace & Peace!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I understand your frustration with the verify part. It would be ideal if you could get immediate verification. Some of mine have taken many days to verify. They might be short staffed.

Some folks rent way too cheap. I think it's a mistake to rent too cheaply. It's not a good idea to undercut others to rent yours. I am sure you didn't get into the Wyndham thing to make a big profit because some can really rent so much cheaper, including our daughter, since we have been fortunate enough to have Founders' level of membership. We have owned since 2007, when Wyndham was bringing Bali Hai and Shearwater into the system. But we try not to rent to cheaply, nonetheless. We see no reason to undervalue Wyndham. It's a great product with great resorts.

Last edited:

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of Koala before this thread was first posted. Simply to try it out, I listed several premium weeks on Koala, thinking that the likelihood of actually renting them out was unlikely. I have had very good success on Redweek. Imagine my surprise when my New Years ski week rented this month for a very competitive price and its only May. Usually ski weeks don't start renting until July. So, I'm positive about Koala as it does seem to broaden your exposure. The no fee listing also means that you have the opportunity to list much earlier than you normally would.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had never heard of Koala before this thread was first posted. Simply to try it out, I listed several premium weeks on Koala, thinking that the likelihood of actually renting them out was unlikely. I have had very good success on Redweek. Imagine my surprise when my New Years ski week rented this month for a very competitive price and its only May. Usually ski weeks don't start renting until July. So, I'm positive about Koala as it does seem to broaden your exposure. The no fee listing also means that you have the opportunity to list much earlier than you normally would.
The more listings we all add, the more successful the site will be. I cannot believe how many Myrtle Beach weeks our daughter has rented this summer. She doesn't list cheaply, like we see on Redweek. I advertised one on Redweek and had inquiries for it, but people want to talk down the price. I love Redweek and have had great success with it. It just shouldn't be the only rental website. Most TUGgers still remember My Resort Network, which is a sad story for a website like that because it's got almost no listings.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Out of curiosity, how does their fee work? I have seen different numbers floated around. Is it a 5% fee plus a 3% credit card fee or an 8% fee with a 3% credit card fee. In other words, is it a total 8% or 11%?

KCO

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how does their fee work? I have seen different numbers floated around. Is it a 5% fee plus a 3% credit card fee or an 8% fee with a 3% credit card fee. In other words, is it a total 8% or 11%?

Gemma from KOALA here providing some clarity on pricing:

Host
KOALA receives an 8% commission on successful bookings only. It is free — really — to list your timeshare.

KOALA costs nothing to try and you always maintain control of your reservation. That means listing on KOALA is not only hassle-free, it’s risk-free!

KOALA charges a 5% processing fee, included in the total you pay when you book. Because you’re renting directly from an owner, these costs are typically far less than what you would pay in sales tax or VAT at a hotel.

Resort Fees: Resorts may charge additional fees upon check-in or check-out (such as charges for special amenities or telephone use). KOALA requires hosts to disclose these charges on the listing, so you’ll know what you’ll pay before you book. If you are charged a fee that was not disclosed by your host, please notify us.

Please note: KOALA resorts typically require a credit card for incidentals (or a deposit) and a valid ID when checking in. Please make sure that the person checking in matches the ID you provide to KOALA when making a booking.

Last edited:

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
The more listings we all add, the more successful the site will be. I cannot believe how many Myrtle Beach weeks our daughter has rented this summer. She doesn't list cheaply, like we see on Redweek. I advertised one on Redweek and had inquiries for it, but people want to talk down the price. I love Redweek and have had great success with it. It just shouldn't be the only rental website. Most TUGgers still remember My Resort Network, which is a sad story for a website like that because it's got almost no listings.
Curious if you don't mind sharing the Myrtle Beach properties that have been renting well? Maybe the brand matters...in other words..TripAdvisor 4 1/2 + ratings?

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Gemma from KOALA here providing some clarity on pricing:

Host
KOALA receives an 8% commission on successful bookings only.

KOALA charges a 5% booking fee, which covers credit card processing, service charges, and taxes.

Resort Fees: Resorts may charge additional fees upon check-in or check-out (such as charges for special amenities or telephone use). KOALA requires hosts to disclose these charges on the listing, so you’ll know what you’ll pay before you book. If you are charged a fee that was not disclosed by your host, please notify us.

Thank you very much Gemma... That is what I was confused on. You charge the lister a commission and an additional fee to the renter. So on the site, the "You Earn" $$ is exactly what I would earn with no other fees required.

On note on your resort fees. Some, such as Limetree in St. Thomas, have per occupant per night fees as well. That isn't an option when including fees. For example Limetree's utility fee is $11 per person per night. I can guess that there will be 2 people in the studio, but it can sleep up to 4. Not 100% sure how to input that into the system.

KCO

Reaction score
Thank you very much Gemma... That is what I was confused on. You charge the lister a commission and an additional fee to the renter. So on the site, the "You Earn" $$ is exactly what I would earn with no other fees required.

On note on your resort fees. Some, such as Limetree in St. Thomas, have per occupant per night fees as well. That isn't an option when including fees. For example Limetree's utility fee is $11 per person per night. I can guess that there will be 2 people in the studio, but it can sleep up to 4. Not 100% sure how to input that into the system.

Thanks for the feedback on the occupant per night fees! I'll make sure to pass this along to our product team. If you have any other feedback, please don't hesitate to let us know via email at feedback@go-koala.com. - Gemma & The KOALA Team

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Curious if you don't mind sharing the Myrtle Beach properties that have been renting well? Maybe the brand matters...in other words..TripAdvisor 4 1/2 + ratings?
I don't own Marriott but do own Wyndham and Sheraton. Look at my resorts owned. This is an unusual year, people are tired of staying home. I never did stay home, but most people did, and they are going on vacation this summer. I don't usually get these rented. I usually deposit many of the weeks at Sheraton into II for exchange purposes.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Something I really like is the reminder from Koala that I am getting close to my cancellation deadline date, which alerts me that I need to cancel my Shell/ WorldMark listings before I am penalized points. That is something I really do appreciate. Shell is 60 days, WorldMark is 30 days. I had no idea I was close to a deadline and got that email reminder. I would rather have rented the weeks, but Disneyland needs to open first. Then I think those units will move quickly.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Something I really like is the reminder from Koala that I am getting close to my cancellation deadline date, which alerts me that I need to cancel my Shell/ WorldMark listings before I am penalized points. That is something I really do appreciate. Shell is 60 days, WorldMark is 30 days. I had no idea I was close to a deadline and got that email reminder. I would rather have rented the weeks, but Disneyland needs to open first. Then I think those units will move quickly.
I think owners need to consider cancellation deadlines when listing on KOALA. If you can cancel your owner reservation up to 60 days in advance with no penalty, then consider offering the Firm: Cancel for a full refund up to 62 days before check-in refund policy. For those Worldmark, consider 32 day policy they have. I know some have proposed additional cancellation policies like full refund minus processing fee if cancelled at x.

I see so many listings as Strict: Booking is nonrefundable. I get it that no one wants to do work twice, but one should be able to charge more for a more flexible cancellation policy and cancellations should be a small percentage of overall bookings. Having a more flexible cancellation policy also makes you more competitive against those that don't offer it. One of course needs to consider the expiration date of their points or ownership when setting a cancellation policy.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I think owners need to consider cancellation deadlines when listing on KOALA. If you can cancel your owner reservation up to 60 days in advance with no penalty, then consider offering the Firm: Cancel for a full refund up to 62 days before check-in refund policy. For those Worldmark, consider 32 day policy they have. I know some have proposed additional cancellation policies like full refund minus processing fee if cancelled at x.

I see so many listings as Strict: Booking is nonrefundable. I get it that no one wants to do work twice, but one should be able to charge more for a more flexible cancellation policy and cancellations should be a small percentage of overall bookings. Having a more flexible cancellation policy also makes you more competitive against those that don't offer it. One of course needs to consider the expiration date of their points or ownership when setting a cancellation policy.

The problem I have is with the 62 days. For my Hyatt ownership, my points are very restricted if I cancel 60 days or less in advance of the reservation. The Hyatt website is frequently down, and you need to call in to cancel. There are days when I’m so busy at work, that I don’t have time to sitting on hold for an hour. Now it’s not inevitable that I’ll sit on hold for an hour, but I have to be prepared to. Additionally, the Hyatt phone lines are open M-F, you can’t call on the weekend. So say my renter cancels at day 62- I will be desperately scrambling to try to cancel my Hyatt reservation within the ensuing 24hr, and I could be SOL. A 65 day cancellation policy would work. A 62 day cancellation policy might work if the Hyatt website was more reliable, and if I were a retired person or a full-time renter of timeshares.

Then say this is a holiday week that gets cancelled at 62 days out. My options are: cancel the Hyatt resevration and lose the valuableness of the holiday reservation but get my points back OR hold onto the reservation and hope it rents but if it does not and I need to cancel, then be stuck with restricted use points.

This is not to mention that the Hyatt system, I have to pay a reservation fee, then a cancellation fee, then an additional reservation fee to make another reservation, then another cancellation fee if the next renter cancels. This is around $120. Sure, the answer might be to “just charge more” but if you factor in the possibility of a couple of cancellations due to a flexible cancellation policy you need to price your week accordingly, starting with $120 above what you actually want for the week, and then increasing that price by $120 after each cancellation. So you have an increasingly perishable product (a timeshare week) that you’re *raising* the price on, hoping to move it.

I think the reality is that a generous cancellation policy dose not make tons of sense with some systems like Hyatt. I could probably work with a 90 day cancellation policy but 62 days just isn’t viable for my Hyatt rentals.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I get those as well but about three weeks earlier than needed.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Well, I gave up on my Hyatt High Sierra (North Lake Tahoe) rental for Memorial Day weekend. But the good news is I called HRC to learn my options and I was unaware that I could make an II exchange with the points up until check in date if I cancelled the reservation- all I was aware of was the restriction in depositing the points in II for unspecified use over the next 2 years.

So instead of renting out our weekend Tahoe reservation we are going to Cabo in May 2022 (studio Casa Dorada at Medano Beach) and Cancun in April 2023 (1BR at Royal Islander). Good enough.

It’s so interesting to me- my Marriott Barony Beach reliably rents within a week of me listing it on Craigslist, for over MF. I typically book Memorial Day week. I don’t have much luck with my Tahoe week. I’m thinking I just havent found the right venue for Tahoe rentals.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It’s so interesting to me- my Marriott Barony Beach reliably rents within a week of me listing it on Craigslist, for over MF. I typically book Memorial Day week. I don’t have much luck with my Tahoe week. I’m thinking I just havent found the right venue for Tahoe rentals.
I suspect that Hilton Head Island is a drivable destination for millions more people may be a factor. Tahoe takes a bit more work. So there is much more demand for HHI, at least this year since it is so easily drivable for most east of the Mississippi. Are there any Hyatt or Tahoe buy/sell/rent Facebook groups out there?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I suspect that Hilton Head Island is a drivable destination for millions more people may be a factor. Tahoe takes a bit more work. So there is much more demand for HHI, at least this year since it is so easily drivable for most east of the Mississippi. Are there any Hyatt or Tahoe buy/sell/rent Facebook groups out there?

Yes there are Hyatt FB groups, I can’t remember if I posted to them. It’s been a bit of a blur with the puppy.

I think there’s also the Marriott factor. There’s a lot more Marriott timeshares, and a lot more happy MVCI owners vs Hyatt. People seek out Marriott timeshares to rent in a way they don’t seek out Hyatt, being less familiar with Hyatt.

I also think CL works well for Hilton Head, and my VGC. Whereas if I were trying to rent out Orlando DVC, disboards would be better than CL. I think for each market, you have to learn the best place to advertise. Tahoe is a surprisingly expensive rental market when you look on AirBnB, and a lot of the rentals aren’t particularly nice. Ones with a lakefront beach (like the Hyatt has) are extremely expensive. So you think it would rent well.

It may also be the week. I think Memorial Day in Hilton Head is closer to prime season than in Tahoe.

Ah whatever. My Hyatt Tahoe ownership is really useful for HRC internal trading and for II trading, I really have no complaints.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Given the comments about renting out HH Island, I thought I would try my July 4th week into the mix and see what happens.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tahoe is a surprisingly expensive rental market when you look on AirBnB, and a lot of the rentals aren’t particularly nice. Ones with a lakefront beach (like the Hyatt has) are extremely expensive. So you think it would rent well.

It may also be the week. I think Memorial Day in Hilton Head is closer to prime season than in Tahoe.

I tried listing my summer week at Edgelekake Beach Club in north Lake Tahoe on Koala. It‘s a very small independent resort (but not fancy) and one of the very few with a lakefront beach. Koala doesn’t have it on their list so they’re not going to add it on right now. Maybe in the “future.”

The Hyatt has a beautiful beach but you have to schlep your stuff to the beach via a pedestrian overhead bridge and some more paths.

I‘ve tried listing it on Redweek in the past, but have gotten lowball offers. I was hoping Koala would have been a good alternative to Redweek.

Tahoe has been crazy busy even when social distancing requirements were in place. so the demand is certainly there.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just rented my first Disney five-night studio stay for December through Koala, OKW. December is a very popular month for Disney, and I am so excited because I am making $17.48 per point net on that one. I usually rent for $15 per point and have a tough time renting with the numerous RCI exchanges listed on Redweek for one bedrooms that are less than my point cost.

The thing with Disney is the only person that can book Magical Express and add guests is the owner. The information Koala sent is the guest name, address and phone #. Koala is going to call and get the rest of that information. Perhaps their form for Disney reservations should include additional spaces for guest names and any requests the guest may have. They are the middle-man in the transaction. It's different for them. I am sure they have so much to learn about the various systems.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
I need a link their web site please. I cant find it, even in Google. But I find the mattress company.

Thanks.
OK never mind I found it at: "https://www.go-koala.com"

Status
Not open for further replies.