• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
They updated the website and it is no longer on there. Did they move somewhere and I just cant find it?

‘You can still go to the old website. Click onto return to the “classic” website and you’ll get there.

Mollypc

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond
Thank you to everyone who has shared your experience with exciting DRI. I just Received my email stating my transition request was approved.

Question I have for this group is I've paid my 2020 assessment already so will they credit back for the time that I am not able to use it? They said that my account is suspended as of now so I'm not able to book anything from now through the end of the year? Do I get that credit back for the 6 months I can't use or have I lost that money along with a $1000 that I need to pay to sell my unit back?

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
My understanding is, once approved for Transitions, all points in your account will be theirs........300 points....or 83,000 points. The do not refund money from what I know and all travel (use of points) must be done before you go into Transitions. However, closure is closure!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is, once approved for Transitions, all points in your account will be theirs........300 points....or 83,000 points. The do not refund money from what I know and all travel (use of points) must be done before you go into Transitions. However, closure is closure!
[/QUOTE

That does not seen to fair and this is the same company that is suing timeshare exit companies as scammers.

You will think some form of credit will be given the consumer(for the months not used). Six months will not and cannot be use by the consumer. IMO.

Last edited:

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
I have not been a member of Tug that long, but sure have learned ALOT visiting the site! I know what I did right, know what I did wrong...and nobody is guilty for my actions but myself. We ALL have different options in life, some well chosen, and others not so good. Every time I go back and read the small print, yes, there was something there to question....but in the frenzy of making a good decision.....small print is overlooked. I go back to 11th grade, economics teacher....TINSTAAFL...."there is no such thing as a free lunch"....and Diamond has that figured out. I think their properties are wonderful, and the staff at the resorts great.....alas. I wish there were others things they could change........

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
It is over! We started Transitions on May 18 and as of the 1st September we do not have an account with Diamond Resorts. Once Transitions was started, paper work, trust papers, Notary, a check for each contract....it moved right along though we were informed that during this Covid time, it could take a touch longer. We are thankful it is over as maintenance fees were well over $9,00 a year and I had to finally admit my husband was not going to travel as much as he said he would!....dah, why keep purchasing more points?! And now, saved points would not be doing us any good with restrictions on travel....and who knows when this will end. Being cost effective and using points on air fares and hotels was not a great way to use points up. I was almost doing spread sheets on the positive and negative of keeping our membership, and after each try...it became obvious of what we should do - with free time we had, and keeping it financially worth while. Alas, it is over, but the beautiful trips and lessons learned....will not be forgotten!

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
Well, my results are disappointing. Diamond sent me a email approving my buy back. Then a week later, sent me a letter denying my buy back. The letter stated that because I purchased on the aftermarket, they would not buy back my timeshare..... I know they have the discretion to purchase aftermarket units, but they declined mine. I have a Riviera Beach and Spa unit...

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Started the Transition process on our last two Diamond contracts. This is what they sent us today:

November 1, 2020

We have approved your Transitions request for contract ###

Your relinquishment will be processed in the next calendar year, and you will not be billed for the upcoming year’s Maintenance Fees. With this approval, you agree that your contract/account will be suspended and you will not be able to use your ownership in the next calendar year. Your account will be flagged and placed accordingly into the queue at the beginning of the next calendar year on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to an annual cap. You will soon receive the owner/member acknowledgement form for you to complete and return.

If you have any questions, please contact our Transitions™ team by calling 1.855.342.3689 or emailing Transitions@diamondresorts.com.

Sincerely,

The Diamond Resorts Transitions Team

-----
I'll believe "you will not be billed" when I don't see them hit me with an autopay for January maintenance fees. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.

Reactions: awa

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Started the Transition process on our last two Diamond contracts. This is what they sent us today:

November 1, 2020

We have approved your Transitions request for contract ###

Your relinquishment will be processed in the next calendar year, and you will not be billed for the upcoming year’s Maintenance Fees. With this approval, you agree that your contract/account will be suspended and you will not be able to use your ownership in the next calendar year. Your account will be flagged and placed accordingly into the queue at the beginning of the next calendar year on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to an annual cap. You will soon receive the owner/member acknowledgement form for you to complete and return.

If you have any questions, please contact our Transitions™ team by calling 1.855.342.3689 or emailing Transitions@diamondresorts.com.

Sincerely,

The Diamond Resorts Transitions Team

-----
I'll believe "you will not be billed" when I don't see them hit me with an autopay for January maintenance fees. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.
How long did this process take?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
How long did this process take?

The applying and acceptance was less than 24 hours, if you don't count the fact that I applied in the middle of our Carlsbad stay last week only to be instantly rejected because all our vacations hadn't been completed. My understanding had been you had to have "no pending reservations", but apparently being in the midst of one counted against us.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the buyback program - I have a complicated situation. I purchased 16,500 US Collection points, and with that purchase, Diamond took back a PVC membership and put two of my deeded weeks into the Club. When I asked about giving back the US Collections points, I received an email back that I had a pending reservation - but the reservation was made with one of the deeded weeks that was brought into the club with the purchase of the 16,500 US Collection Points. So I am quite a bit confused. Does anyone know how this all works if you have deeded weeks that were brought into the club? Can the US Collection points not be returned? I need to call transitions to get some of this figured out. Diamond is not making the process easy, and I have way too many points in Diamond Resorts. I like their system, but they changed the point value for several affiliates, (the points to reserve went up 3-fold) and this was the main way I was using my points. Now the system isn't working for me the way it has for the past 5 or so years. Thanks in advance for any help!

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
After going thru transitions, my understanding was that all reservations, all points had to be used/completed. Pending reservations were a no, no. It does not surprise me if they see movement of points, which have not been used, into another source to empty an account. We were thinking of that, however the computer can track everything, especially if it is with your account with Diamond. They know dates and times.....and where the points went. Good luck to all.....with maintenance fees soon to be advised.

timetotug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
The applying and acceptance was less than 24 hours, if you don't count the fact that I applied in the middle of our Carlsbad stay last week only to be instantly rejected because all our vacations hadn't been completed. My understanding had been you had to have "no pending reservations", but apparently being in the midst of one counted against us.
Did you apply twice then to be accepted the second time? Did you submit the application on a weekend? If so, did they respond to you on a weekend?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Did you apply twice then to be accepted the second time? Did you submit the application on a weekend? If so, did they respond to you on a weekend?

Yes, applied twice. Once in the middle of our last vacation which was rejected, then on the Saturday the vacation ended which was accepted two days later on Monday. That was Nov 1st, as of today still waiting for them to ask for the $2,000 fee for the two contracts.

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
When going thru transitions, I hope everyone is saving & making copies of ALL correspondences. If purchased in Arizona, transitions is $250.00 per contract, other states I believe it is $1,00.00. We were quoted in an email - $250.00 per contract. I saved/copied it. Then when we had all the paper work, 3 were $1,000 since they were purchased in Las Vegas - but alas, with that saved email, they agreed to the $250 per contract....a savings of $2,250. Follow Diamond directions, print everything, and act fast. Not paying maintenance fees along with my $2,250 savings, and not knowing when we feel confident about traveling again, we are pleased with actions to exit Diamond Resorts.

gerena

TUG Member
Reaction score
We applied October 21, 2019 and were rejected because of an outstanding stay. Well, it had gotten messed up in their department so had to fix that. We applied again onOctober 29, 2019 and were accepted. They told us that when they sent the documents we would only have 14 days to return them. We waited and waited. Finally called Diamond and even though it said in writing, the agent denied the 14 day issue. But we were going on a trip; so I had everything run off and at the house for someone to send them in. I had had several phone calls as to what we were to send for sure--right hand/left hand issue. Our attorney said to send one item to avoid delay and finally someone at Diamond said that it was needed(a trust document). They said they would get it in the mail right away. Well another 2 weeks and the envelope had the same postmark as the one sent 2 weeks before. Hmmmm. We finally received the documents from them on April 14 and I had them motorized on April 15, returning them in their envelope. I returned home and called to pay the $250 (we owned in Arizona). They would tell me call in 2 weeks, I did.......then call in 2 weeks, I did. On June 3, "Call back in 30 days." Called back July 5............call back in a few days. I asked if they would let me know when the contract had been cancelled. They said that when you couldn't access the website anymore, you were cancelled. Hmmmm. I wanted a written document, so on July 17, I could no longer access my DRI account. I called them and sent me a letter via email attachment. Also got another email saying that the account had been cancelled. So it was from Oct 21, 2019 to July 17, 2020----9 months.

I then cancelled our membership with Interval International. They didn't try to talk me into staying or anything. Easy and prompt refund.

I am happy to be done with Diamond. Ever since they purchased ILX, it has been a nightmare for us. We lost so much trading value that we really couldn't go anywhere. I have kept our Wyndham weeks and trade through RCI.

FeelingFleeced

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oceanaire, Virginia Beach
We just submitted our contract to the Transitions program. I am wondering how long it will take after reading some of the commentary above. I hope it goes quickly. I am also waiting to see what surprises they throw at me. Ever since Day 1, they have done nothing for me other than continually ask for more money -every time I turn around.

It sickens me to know that the Timeshare Lobby is so powerful that the politicians allow the deceptive and immoral practices to go on. The timeshare industry writ large should be Beaten like Gongs -along with the many states legislatures who enable them.

I will be so glad to distance myself from this Brotherhood of Thieves -which is Diamond Resorts.

To be sure, I went into this thing starry eyed, without much research -throwing myself into the arms of the jackals who prey on people like me.

That's on me.

But they never lived up to the lofty promises, of which there were many.

I was told by an attorney that I don't even have clear title because they sold more weeks than existed.

Could I pursue that legally? I suppose I could if I had a basket of money and a lot of time.

I am ready to walk away.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond Resorts is not everyone's favorite developer. However, they do not sell weeks - they sell points. Gold Key sold weeks, but Diamond has been "converting" people to points. You would have no basis to try and sue Diamond as they are surely within the legal parameters of the points they can sell. Best to consider your plight as a lesson learned. Don't go to any more presentations. I hope your Transitions application is approved.

sjudge

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a business model, I sold gave mine back, they have destroyed resale by the fees, and have replenished the units they have to sell by "taking" these back. Why didnt I think of that.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Just got home from a week at Grand Beach I in Orlando, our first visit there after owning for thirteen years. We own a single re-sale floating week -- it has been a good renter except for this year, which is why we used the week. I should add that we really enjoyed our stay there.

I emailed DRI when the Transitions program was announced. I was rejected, which I expected because our week was acquired re-sale. I have paid maintenance fees and have a reservation for 2021. However, after that I don't think I will pay any more maintenance fees. This week at Grand Beach is simply too expensive for what I get.

I am 75 years old and work full-time but intend to retire at the end of September 2021 and would like to reduce some fixed expenses. We are well-set. No house or car payments and I don't anticipate any major purchases so I couldn't care less if I suffer a hit to my credit rating (my FICO score hovers between 820 and 829).

I was willing to pay them $1,000 to take the week and they refused. Now, DRI can foreclose with my blessing.

What is the likely outcome of this course of action? I can handle emails and phone calls with threats of dire consequences.

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
As long as you have an active reservation- 2021 - they will do nothing with transitions.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I like my ownership with DR. I just don’t like the maintenance fees. I get value from it. I’ve owned since the late 1990’s before DR was in existence. I can get several weeks from my points. It’s actually not a bad ownership if you know how to use it.

FeelingFleeced

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My Transition application was rejected. I was told the reason is that there is 'either' an outstanding loan or a lien on it.

There is neither.

I sense they want to put me off until I pay my maint. fees in January.

I'm not paying. They can have it. I'm done with the Brotherhood of Thieves.

FeelingFleeced

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not been a member of Tug that long, but sure have learned ALOT visiting the site! I know what I did right, know what I did wrong...and nobody is guilty for my actions but myself. We ALL have different options in life, some well chosen, and others not so good. Every time I go back and read the small print, yes, there was something there to question....but in the frenzy of making a good decision.....small print is overlooked. I go back to 11th grade, economics teacher....TINSTAAFL...."there is no such thing as a free lunch"....and Diamond has that figured out. I think their properties are wonderful, and the staff at the resorts great.....alas. I wish there were others things they could change........

Mr. (or Ms.) Pierre -

I am happy to know you are so forgiving of this Brotherhood of Thieves if it helps get you through the night.

There is only one way the entire t/s industry can even exist. That is the enormous money they put into financing the campaigns of politicians.

Without the Lap Dog politicians, the t/s industry would have been outlawed generations ago. They would have gone the way of the Snake Oil Salesmen and the traveling carnivals who preyed upon the 'Rubes' who believe anything.

Yes, you are correct. We make our own decisions.

For good or ill.

That does not excuse the business model built to fleece the unsuspecting that is, surprisingly, Still Legal.