• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana, Westin & Sheraton Deedback program

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Only the seller has to have a deed notarized. WLR may not need it at all since it isn't deeded. I don't know. When you go to sell or do a deed back on SVV it will require a US notary.
Chances are the recorder didn't even verify that it was a US or Canadian notary. In Orange County FL (where SVV is), you could send them a gum wrapper and they would record it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wrong. It depends on the resort / state. My purchases have been 50-50.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk
It certainly wouldn't be based on the resort. A resort may or may not accept it, but that doesn't make the transfer legal and it could be challenged or cause problems with title down the road.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Only the seller has to have a deed notarized. WLR may not need it at all since it isn't deeded. I don't know. When you go to sell or do a deed back on SVV it will require a US notary.
Wrong. I've been buyer and had to get notarization.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wrong. I've been buyer and had to get notarization.

I believe only Louisiana requires a deed to be notarized by both the seller and the buyer? Where was the property located that you purchased? You are telling a lot of people they are wrong without actually providing any details to these transactions you speak of.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I believe only Louisiana requires a deed to be notarized by both the seller and the buyer? Where was the property located that you purchased? You are telling a lot of people they are wrong without actually providing any details to these transactions you speak of.
Others have posted the same. Perhaps starting a list would be more helpful than unsubstantiated 'never' posts.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There are a number of resale companies that require you as a buyer to get something notarized but that is just a company policy. There are also developers that may require some sort of notarization before they would allow the transfer again that would be the resort policy not a legal requirement. I was not aware of any states with Vistana deeds that require the buyer to have a notarized signature in order to record the deed.

When it is a resort policy or a resale company policy they may allow you to use a Canadian notary. In order to legally record a deed all 50 states require the seller to notarize the deed (with a US notary) and some may require additional witnesses.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also sold SVV without problem with canadian notary. And each of our purchases of WLR required a notary

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are a number of resale companies that require you as a buyer to get something notarized but that is just a company policy. There are also developers that may require some sort of notarization before they would allow the transfer again that would be the resort policy not a legal requirement. I was not aware of any states with Vistana deeds that require the buyer to have a notarized signature in order to record the deed.

When it is a resort policy or a resale company policy they may allow you to use a Canadian notary. In order to legally record a deed all 50 states require the seller to notarize the deed (with a US notary) and some may require additional witnesses.
As you can see from others' posts you need to do more research. Perhaps searching for the threads on notaries and reading them would be quickest way for you to catch up.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We also sold SVV without problem with canadian notary. And each of our purchases of WLR required a notary
Yes, there are many posts here on tug of buyers using Canadian noraries. Not unusual for USA folk to learn about Canada :)

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
so I emailed resale.operations@vacationclub.com and asked them to deed back my EOY SVV Bella 2BR gold with 67,100 staroptions, and they emailed me back in 2 hours saying they'll take it. They're sending me the deedback packet for me to sign and notarize. That was quick.
Now I'm 2nd guessing myself if I want to keep it or not.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
so I emailed resale.operations@vacationclub.com and asked them to deed back my EOY SVV Bella 2BR gold with 67,100 staroptions, and they emailed me back in 2 hours saying they'll take it. They're sending me the deedback packet for me to sign and notarize. That was quick.
Now I'm 2nd guessing myself if I want to keep it or not.
I just received that Fedex packet yesterday. signed and notarized all the paperwork today and fedex'd back with their fedex label.
So easy

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had Sheraton/Westin agree to a deedback lately? I have a bunch of Sheratons that I rent out, but I'm not sure anyone will be renting them this year. If Sheraton would just take a deedback, that might be the best option for me. But, I din't know if Covid-19 has stalled their deedback program.

Also, Needvaca, how long was it from when you asked to do a deedback, and when you got your paperwork?

josh2268

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had Sheraton/Westin agree to a deedback lately? I have a bunch of Sheratons that I rent out, but I'm not sure anyone will be renting them this year. If Sheraton would just take a deedback, that might be the best option for me. But, I din't know if Covid-19 has stalled their deedback program.

Also, Needvaca, how long was it from when you asked to do a deedback, and when you got your paperwork?

The deed back program is still running, I initiated mine this week.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Just sent back my ppwk. The process begins.

Pipercub925

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deeded back a 2 bedroom lockoff at Westin Desert Willow in 2019. I paid the fees at the beginning of the year, and then I contacted them, by phone, telling them I wanted to deed it back to them. At first they sent paperwork to fill out as if I wanted to sell it, but telling me they were not currently purchasing anything, but they would hang on to the paperwork in case that changed. I contacted them again, by email and said I just wanted to deed it back to them. It ended up being about a 4 or 5 month process before I received paperwork saying the deedback was complete. The only cost on my end was the cost of a notary when doing the paperwork, so it was a fairly easy and painless process.

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
I had called to ask some questions about banking options for a unit I had for sale. They offered deed back at no cost and gave me 7 days to respond. I have started the process on 2 units. One is PGA in FL which has been difficult to do anything with so I am pleased. It was jointly owned and the other owner died and FL is difficult to resolve this type of issue without spending a lot of money.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westin
According to ARDA, vistana resorts (including sheraton and westin) have an official deedback/surrender program with info available here:

https://www.vistana.com/exit

adding this as a sticky for this forum for those who might be in these situations (and hope to funnel away some from upfront fee scammers)

the most recent update to this program for folks that dont want to read thru 8 pages of replies!) However the summary is that Marriott is indeed working towards taking back any US based Vistana ownership that is both paid off and not delinquent in fees. However as they work thru the migration/merger, there are some expected growing pains!

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...n-deedback-program.291395/page-7#post-2335398

I am in contact with the Vistana deed back program, it is real and I will be doing the deed back with no compensation for my 2 timeshares. It will be nice to get out of the annual $6000 fees. I will receive no compensation.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I am in contact with the Vistana deed back program, it is real and I will be doing the deed back with no compensation for my 2 timeshares. It will be nice to get out of the annual $6000 fees. I will receive no compensation.
Ginny- what do you own? Sometimes there is value if you sell it. You can list it on TUG.
If you let us know, we can tell you if there’s value

winegarden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Mirage (Diamond points)
Westin Kierland Villas
I deeded back two Vistana properties. I chose the two with the highest cost per StarOption. Very fast initial response. Yes, a notary was required. Final paperwork took several weeks. Be sure to use or deposit (Interval International) your week before deeding back. You can do that, and they advised me to do that.

Jamy

Reaction score
I guess hell has frozen over. They have agreed to take my Broadway plantation unit back! They gave me seven days to accept their offer. I will miss being able to use RCI to trade into Las Vegas, but I think I will miss it less than the maintenance fees.

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess hell has frozen over. They have agreed to take my Broadway plantation unit back! They gave me seven days to accept their offer. I will miss being able to use RCI to trade into Las Vegas, but I think I will miss it less than the maintenance fees.
RCI Extra Vacations and Last Call are always available for Las Vegas. And for very close to the Exchange Fee.