• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Face Shields

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Q for the maskperts (mask experts -- see what I did there? :D ).

The state of IL is requiring masks for all students at all grade levels this fall in school (presuming school opens).

They are NOT allowing face shields.

Why would that be? I read in the WSJ that face shields do a good job of protection.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hmm... that's interesting. I haven't read much about this, but am also curious. Perhaps since they are plastic they worry about harm to other students? IDK...seems like a strange restriction.

FWIW, coincidentally I had just reviewed a few of the face shield sites this morning and am likely to order from https://www.discmakers.com/faceshields/faceshield-cx.asp

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Ken555 This rule (no shields) is from State board of education , so it's not a local decision. I didn't understand it either.

School is going to be "interesting".

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Our school district has ordered the face shields for staff for the fall. Assuming we go back at some point, that will be what I choose to wear. Maybe with a mask as well...I haven't yet decided.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
@Ken555 This rule (no shields) is from State board of education , so it's not a local decision. I didn't understand it either.

School is going to be "interesting".

I wouldn't be surprised if that decision changes before school starts.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
If concerned, one could probably get their child safety goggles with a mask. If I had to fly now, I'd probably put on some goggles.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our school district has ordered the face shields for staff for the fall. Assuming we go back at some point, that will be what I choose to wear. Maybe with a mask as well...I haven't yet decided.
Which grade do you teach? Will students have to wear masks?

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I'll be with 7th grade this next year. And yes, kids will have to have their faces covered...so I'm assuming masks or shields. The littles (K-5) likely won't have face masks, or so we've been told. We shall see.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of 10 plastic face shields recently and used once, together with a face mask, when I went to my medical appointment. I was the only one taking that sort of precaution at the office. One thing to note is that the view is not clear in looking through the face shield unless it is made of glass. Students won't be able to see the chalkboard through the plastic face shields.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Looks like in New Mexico they will be requiring all staff and students to wear face shields for transportation. Face coverings, either a mask or a shield, are required when in class. On the news last night they were showing boxes being readied that I think contained face shields and hand sanitizer. I don't know if that was just for the Albuquerque schools, or statewide.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
NY City just issued a recommendation for all healthcare providers that they wear both masks and shields for any patient encounter. I haven't seen that for the rest of the state yet.
I am a school nurse and we started special ed summer school today. The students were all encouraged to wear masks but not mandated to do so. All employees must wear masks and any employee who is in close contact with a student's face (ex: speech therapist) must wear both mask and shield. Perhaps the shields, being open at the bottom, only provide protection directly head on?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We were told because it was open at the bottom and doesn’t provide full coverage, however I haven’t seen anything official from our SD.
In our area, many will wear shield and mask if In close proximity all day.(camp) My daughter swim teachers wear face masks only because they are in water.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Some Experts Say Face Shields Better Than Masks for Coronavirus Protection

Richard

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DW is a teacher in a private school that provides services to children with language-based learning difficulties. Those kids have learned to cope by leaning more on visual cues than actual words (because they have language processing weaknesses). Using face masks appears to be incredibly disruptive, unless the face mask is made of clear vinyl. Face shields may be a better option.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I bought a set of 10 plastic face shields recently and used once, together with a face mask, when I went to my medical appointment. I was the only one taking that sort of precaution at the office. One thing to note is that the view is not clear in looking through the face shield unless it is made of glass. Students won't be able to see the chalkboard through the plastic face shields.

I also use a shield and find it much more comfortable. I find masks hot, and they tend to itch and move around. Visibility out of the shield will depend on the type of plastic. We bought shields attached to a fisherman's cap from Asia and I find the plastic flimsy causing visual distortion. I later purchased stiffer medical grade shields and they are clear like wearing glasses. Adding some anti-fog also helps if I wear a mask with it.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two questions:

First: If you are wearing a face shield and seated in a room or plane and an infected person behind you expels droplets by coughing, sneezing or talking, how much is the risk that those droplets enter and stay on the inside of your shield.

Second, if you are wearing a shield and not a mask and you cough, sneeze or talk, how much is the risk that those droplets will spread out of the side of the shield. With a mask, isn't it more likely that the droplets will be confined?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bunk, you have two (2) very good points. IMHO.

May, I add this, if wearing a face shield does virus or droplets stay on the inside of your mask and will you have to sanitize the face shield periodically during the day to keep it clean and free of germs. I am just asking a simply question.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Face shields are open at the top, on both sides, and at the bottom. And by open I mean several inches.
It's a no-brainer understanding that aerosols can get to you far easier, entering the vulnerable area of the nose, mouth, and eyes.
Healthcare providers such as nurses, dentists, physicians, and particularly surgeons use a face shield only as an adjunct means of protection,
never eliminating the mask which is and will remain the primary source of protection.
In addition to the mask, nearly all use a face shield plus eye protection such as oversized glasses with top and side extensions.
I personally never enter a patient area, or especially perform surgical procedures, without a face shield, a bouffant cap,
an authorized N95 or KN95 respirator mask and specialty eyeglasses....all at the same time.
This is not practical for others, obviously, but imho, the minimal protection for everyone will remain the mask.
You breathe in and out, and those are the ways you receive the virus contamination or expel it.
A face shield will never be as good as a mask. It's not rocket science but even the mask still seems to be a source of contention.

Today's interview:
Dr. Nesheiwat: Science shows masks work, but it's not the only solution

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I went to my dentist, they were wearing masks, and shields, and goggles. They were clearly santizing the shields between every patient.

The NC Dept. of HHS issued new guidance last week (or maybe the week before, even?) that all medical providers should also be wearing eye protection while seeing patients.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hmm... that's interesting. I haven't read much about this, but am also curious. Perhaps since they are plastic they worry about harm to other students? IDK...seems like a strange restriction.

FWIW, coincidentally I had just reviewed a few of the face shield sites this morning and am likely to order from https://www.discmakers.com/faceshields/faceshield-cx.asp
I heard face shields may actually protect better since there is eye coverage. They look a heck of a lot more comfortable as well as having somewhat of a storm trooper vibe.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bunk.“ Second, if you are wearing a shield and not a mask and you cough, sneeze or talk, how much is the risk that those droplets will spread out of the side of the shield. With a mask, isn't it more likely that the droplets will be confined?“

That is not what I understand. A proper shield goes all the way around your face, almost to your ears, so droplets do not spread out the side of the shield.
The problem with some face masks that people wear is they are not tight enough, do not go around your face and gape, so would let droplets out the side.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I heard face shields may actually protect better since there is eye coverage. They look a heck of a lot more comfortable as well as having somewhat of a storm trooper vibe.

That would be true only when someone is not already wearing eyeglasses, in that it might prevent a direct splatter.
But please realize that actually a face shield only protects from those direct frontal splatters, and even then, some droplets get past it.
So most expert opinions conclude that there's no "true" and effective eye coverage if there's an aerosol,
and as we know, sneezes & coughs are aerosols of body fluids. We've seen the animated videos.
Shields are nothing more than a windshield with open sides--- top, bottom, and 2 sides.
Single direct "blasts" are all they're good for,
not to minimize their positive effects, but they are limited.
In hospital, surgical, and patient treatment instances, it's the front-line defense,
mainly to deflect droplets from entering or trying to enter or moisten the mask or hit the eye area.

To address your second point, comfort has nothing at all to do with efficacy of preventive barriers.
IMHO, comfort is the last concern when comparing options. It's also more comfortable NOT to wear seat belts, or latex gloves,
or wound dressings, or sporting gear like helmets, etc, etc.
I would say in isolated instances, a face shield would be sufficient for a few people, but that would include only certain
specific environments----- but not in the real world where people are prone to expel Covid19-laden droplets.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Simple. If I were on a plane, in a close indoor space, or in a health facility I would wear both. Face shield is fine for more casual venues. BTW... My shield is closed at the top and my fishermans cap is also closed because it is attached to the brim of the cap and goes well past my ears similar to below.

1593711213414.png

One article mentioned adding a drape to a shield but I am not sure how this would work.