• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Face Shields

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Q for the maskperts (mask experts -- see what I did there? :D ).

The state of IL is requiring masks for all students at all grade levels this fall in school (presuming school opens).

They are NOT allowing face shields.

Why would that be? I read in the WSJ that face shields do a good job of protection.

Short answer?

Communists in the education system.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That would be true only when someone is not already wearing eyeglasses, in that it might prevent a direct splatter.
But please realize that actually a face shield only protects from those direct frontal splatters, and even then, some droplets get past it.
So most expert opinions conclude that there's no "true" and effective eye coverage if there's an aerosol

I’ve been searching for comfortable goggles which could be worn when entering closed spaces (such as commercial buildings, forced to use elevators, etc). Would you agree that goggles would be a better solution? This is in addition to face mask and face shield. I see all three as desired, and we haven’t yet considered the earlier possibility of infection via ears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I’ve been searching for comfortable goggles which could be worn when entering closed spaces (such as commercial buildings, forced to use elevators, etc). Would you agree that goggles would be a better solution? This is in addition to face mask and face shield. I see all three as desired, and we haven’t yet considered the earlier possibility of infection via ears.

Ken, are you trolling?
I honestly don't think goggles are warranted unless there's an undue threat like a nursing home or meat factory, HaHa,
both of which have ordinarily high incidences of Covid19 positivity.

For everyday safety precautions a good mask is sufficient. For visiting a bar, goggles are recommended, unless you get thrown out first.

I've HEARD that ears are not a viable route for infection.
"Ears, on the other hand, are not believed to be a route of COVID-19 infection, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken, are you trolling?

No.

I honestly don't think goggles are warranted unless there's an undue threat like a nursing home or meat factory, HaHa,
both of which have ordinarily high incidences of Covid19 positivity.

I haven't seen much on this issue since this event:

For everyday safety precautions a good mask is sufficient. For visiting a bar, goggles are recommended, unless you get thrown out first.

I've HEARD that ears are not a viable route for infection.
"Ears, on the other hand, are not believed to be a route of COVID-19 infection, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

Thanks.

Reactions: jme

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Qatar Airways now requires passengers to wear a face shield in addition to a mask.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is one problem with face shields, they are very hard to find. We waited three (3) months to receive just two (2) using Amazon Prime. Our local medical supply and hardware stores do not have them or the N95 Masks.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There is one problem with face shields, they are very hard to find. We waited three (3) months to receive just two (2) using Amazon Prime. Our local medical supply and hardware stores do not have them or the N95 Masks.

There are now dozens of vendors selling face shields online.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct with a one to two weeks back ordered for face shields.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used both (shield & mask) when going to a medical appointment (I don't go into grocery stores or shopping) & I wear glasses. My face shield (I ordered 6 last week for $30 and they came with Prime in 2 or 3 days) made in USA; It's Very clear to see through and is flush (with a foam band) resting on my forehead; very comfortable. It's 9" long & 12" around....so pretty good, clear coverage (not particularly well made....don't expect it to last forever, a couple of staples and stretchy band....hopefully it will get me through; I have 6 and I only plan to use them for specific activities. I also don't think they will remain clear & might be easily scratched (so I am not sure they would be good for children) I am storing mine in the plastic bags they came in. For me it will provide one more simple level of protection when visiting the Dr or in a crowded place I'm unable to avoid. A reasonable investment for an extra level (I do not plan to use the face shield instead of the mask...always in addition to).

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
@ Bunk.“ Second, if you are wearing a shield and not a mask and you cough, sneeze or talk, how much is the risk that those droplets will spread out of the side of the shield. With a mask, isn't it more likely that the droplets will be confined?“

That is not what I understand.
A proper shield goes all the way around your face, almost to your ears, so droplets do not spread out the side of the shield.
The problem with some face masks that people wear is they are not tight enough, do not go around your face and gape,
so would let droplets out the side.

Not true.
A face shield has open space even if it goes "around your face", because there is no closed SEAL against the face.
That's why the CDC and every other "scientific" authority makes such a big deal over the seal of masks which is critical.
The seal therefore must also apply to the face shield to do what you said, ie, disallow droplets to spread.
The CDC and even OSHA both have extensive protocols for testing one's mask to assure it's being applied and worn properly.
A face shield requires no video explanation because by definition it does not, and is incapable of, creating a true seal.
A "proper" face shield therefore only provides a modicum of protection, and so it remains an "imperfect" shield.
Valuable of course, but not impervious.
For many instances then, a face shield could be a nice adjunct to a mask, but never a substitute.

The thing is the open space, even if less by virtue of extending farther around, because it is still what allows aerosol droplets
to either enter or go out,
depending on whether you're causing a spread or accepting one.
So, bottom line, going farther around your face is better than not, but the true vulnerability has not been diminished much,
given that the ubiquitous aerosol droplets travel freely in and around the face.

And your other statement (re masks) is in fact true, and actually speaks to the problem with your first statement (seal or no seal being the key).

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I don't know why your school system isn't allowing them, I do have an opinion of them after being at a office where all the workers were wearing them. First off, I did think they they didn't provide as much help because they are open all around the sides and bottom. Vapor will easily travel out whenever the wearer is talking, coughing, sneezing, etc. Also, the people wearing them were often lifting them up for a breath of fresh air, even while they were talking. From my observation, it looked as though the purpose was to keep the state happy and not to provide any type of protection. Being that it is bent plastic, I'm sure that it creates a warped visual field. Some people probably adjust to that okay, but I have a long history of vertigo and migraine auras and that could be very difficult for me.

I ordered one from Amazon last night to try it out and see what it's like to wear one. Maybe my opinion will change at that time but from what I saw yesterday, I think it's more show than actual help.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I do not think the face shield is to replace the Mask but in addition to the Mask. The Face Shield is protect you from spray/ droplets.