• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Social Security payments MAY go down

Reaction score
As a Licensed Healthcare Agent specializing in Medicare, I can't help with Social Security, but I can assist on the Medicare (MAPD or MediGap) side. Essentially, Part-B premiums MAY go up in November, but with 0% inflation (due to Coronavirus), Social Security checks will be less. Congress can change that.

TS

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Well that title is an eye grabber.

Have you ever heard of Medicare being secondary insurance? When I signed up taking A and B my retiree plan became secondary and picked up part D.

My brother in law is turning 65 in a few months, he is on my sisters employer coverage right now as spouse. I told him to verify with them what to sign up for and they would probably become supplemental to Medicare. He said they told him they would be primary and Medicare supplemental. It didn’t sound right to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score

Have you ever heard of Medicare being secondary insurance? When I signed up taking A and B my retiree plan became secondary and picked up part D.

My brother in law is turning 65 in a few months, he is on my sisters employer coverage right now as spouse. I told him to verify with them what to sign up for and they would probably become supplemental to Medicare. He said they told him they would be primary and Medicare supplemental. It didn’t sound right to me.

That's news to me. Always thought Medicare was the primary.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a Licensed Healthcare Agent specializing in Medicare, I can't help with Social Security, but I can assist on the Medicare (MAPD or MediGap) side. Essentially, Part-B premiums MAY go up in November, but with 0% inflation (due to Coronavirus), Social Security checks will be less. Congress can change that.

TS
Based on my memory, there a law that SS cannot go down and hence Part B premiums will not increase.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted in the linked article but not in the original post:

"Those with standard Medicare Part B premiums—that’s 70% of retirees—are protected by law from any declines in their Social Security checks even after Medicare premiums are deducted. To keep payments steady when premiums rise faster than Social Security COLA adjustments, Medicare absorbs a portion of premiums.

"But for singles earning more than $87,000 and couples filing jointly and earning more than $174,000—about 30% of Social Security recipients—there are no protections against a downward adjustment in payments...."

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To simpsontruckdri, thinks for the link. That was very informative. IMO.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath for a reduction in SS payments. There's a good reason for SS to be considered the '3rd rail' of politics. Touch it, and it's sudden death for any politician.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath for a reduction in SS payments. There's a good reason for SS to be considered the '3rd rail' of politics. Touch it, and it's sudden death for any politician.
The heading is misleading. If you read the link it explains that Medicare Part B may increase and only the "high income" participants will be affected. But I do agree.. SS is a deadly subject for politicians.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
The article again points out something I have read many times before: the way Social Security calculates the COLA simply doesn't match the reality of price inflation for seniors.

Also, if you have a significant income, Medicare isn't cheap.

Brett

Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
maybe millennials don't want to pay more taxes to support us old boomers :(
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/o...ix-social-security-the-millennials-2019-04-16

Oh, okay, I get it now. Your article says millennials may be in favor of an increase in payroll taxes because they need SS too.

Many millennials also support paying more to strengthen Social Security, according to a National Academy of Social Insurance report. More than three-quarters (77%) said they think it is critical to preserve Social Security benefits for future generations, even if it means increasing the taxes working Americans pay. “These are the people who are going to reach retirement when Social Security may not have the money to pay benefits, so they have a big stake in fixing Social Security,” Johnson said. If Social Security reaches insolvency in 15 years, the oldest millennials will be 55. “It’s not an abstract risk for them,” he said.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...Always thought Medicare was the primary.

Not always. When DW went on Medicare, I dropped her from my insurance.
But Medicare denied her initial claims, saying my insurance was her primary
and they were secondary. We had to set them straight about it.

OTOH, my insurance did say that when _I_ was eligible for Medicare, they'd
convert to a Medigap policy (but I found it cheaper elsewhere).

Brett

Reaction score
Oh, okay, I get it now. Your article says millennials may be in favor of an increase in payroll taxes because they need SS too.

Many millennials also support paying more to strengthen Social Security, according to a National Academy of Social Insurance report. More than three-quarters (77%) said they think it is critical to preserve Social Security benefits for future generations, even if it means increasing the taxes working Americans pay. “These are the people who are going to reach retirement when Social Security may not have the money to pay benefits, so they have a big stake in fixing Social Security,” Johnson said. If Social Security reaches insolvency in 15 years, the oldest millennials will be 55. “It’s not an abstract risk for them,” he said.

that's good
I never realized my millennial offspring are willing to pay more taxes to support me :)

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score

When I was on my wife's Union retirement plan it paid first and Medicare was the secondary. Once she retired Medicare payed 1st and the union retirement plan become secondary.
Bart

Reaction score
One thing about Social Security (SSA). When your income gets to a certain level, you no longer have Social Security taken out. So, if you make $1,000,000 SSA only taxes the first $120k (or something like that). There has been a slight push over the last decade or so to eliminate the cap. The reasoning is, the rich won't need SSA, but I wonder if a person living on a $60,000,000 income will take Social Security when they turn 65.

And I stand by the story. Your check from SSA will be fixed, but Medicare MAY raise their $145/month premium, which means your actual deposit will be lower. CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) will make an announcement in November whether or not they will raise the Part-B Premium.

TS

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

So what is new? This has been happening to me for years. When I retired about 20 years ago my SS was about $1,875 per month. This year it is $1,633. The COLA increases have been overwhelmed by Medicare charges...

George

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
§ 408.20 Monthly premiums.
(a) Statutory provisions.
(1) The law established a monthly premium of $3 for the initial period of the program. It also set forth criteria and procedures for the Secretary to follow each December, beginning with December 1968, to determine and promulgate the standard monthly premium for the 12-month period beginning with July of the following year.
(2) The law was amended in 1983 to require that the Secretary promulgate the standard monthly premium in September of that year, and each year thereafter, to be effective for the 12 months beginning with the following January.
(3) The standard monthly premium applies to individuals who enroll during their initial enrollment periods. In other situations, that premium may be increased or decreased as specified in this subpart.
(4) The law was further amended in 1984 to include a temporary “hold harmless” provision (set forth in paragraph (e) of this section), that was subsequently extended and finally made permanent in 1988.
(d) Limitation on increase of standard premium: 1987 and 1988. If there is no cost-of-living increase in old age or disability benefits for December 1985 or December 1986, the standard monthly premiums for 1987 and 1988 (promulgated in September 1986 and September 1987, respectively) may not be increased.
(e) Nonstandard premiums for certain cases -
(1) Basic rule. A nonstandard premium may be established in individual cases only if the individual is entitled to old age or disability benefits for the months of November and December, and actually receives the corresponding benefit checks in December and January.
(3) Special rule: Calendar years after 1988.
(i) Beginning with calendar year 1989, a premium increase greater than the cost-of-living increase is still a prerequisite for a nonstandard premium.
(ii) However, a nonstandard premium is not precluded solely because the cash benefit is further reduced as a result of government pension offset or workers' compensation payment.
(iii) Beginning with CY 2007, a nonstandard premium may not be applied to individuals who are required to pay an income-related monthly adjustment amount described in § 408.28 of this part.
(4) Amount of nonstandard premium. The nonstandard premium is the greater of the following:
(i) The premium paid for December.
(ii) The standard premium promulgated for January, reduced as necessary to compensate for -
(A) The fact that the cost-of-living increase was less than the increase in the standard premium; or
(B) The further reduction in benefit because of government pension offset or workers' compensation payments.
§ 418.1125. How will the income-related monthly adjustment amount affect your total Medicare Part B premium?
(b) The nonstandard Medicare Part B premium amount described in 42 CFR 408.20 does not apply to individuals who must pay an income-related monthly adjustment amount. Such individuals must pay the full Medicare Part B standard monthly premium plus any applicable penalties for late enrollment or reenrollment plus the income-related adjustment.

Last edited: