• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

With the stock market plunging. . .

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Indexes are not companies. Look at Companies, not aggregations.
Don't companies make up indexes? So if looking at certain few companies, those may not be below their 52 week low. However overall more would have to be under than are over if the indexes are under.

Brett

Reaction score
Don't companies make up indexes? So if looking at certain few companies, those may not be below their 52 week low. However overall more would have to be under than are over if the indexes are under.

right, obviously most companies are below their 52 week low's

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
right, obviously most companies are below their 52 week low's
By definition it is hard to be below your current 52 week low. Now compare the price now to the 52 week low that would have been reported 2 weeks ago and you would be hard pressed to find many that are not below that. I assume a couple may be thriving for some specific reason. I am very dubious of the latest rally. It looks like a classic bear trap. Most of the biggest days come in the midst of a bear market. I bought protection today for my QQQ positions by buying the SQQQ. I will take that protection off if the market retraces 50% of todays gain. At this time I do not have a target on the upset to remove it. You can guess what my weakness in trading is. Yep limiting my loss when the market goes against me.

geekette

Reaction score
oop, yep, that could certainly be true by now, but I was looking periodically as the sinking was happening, including 2 weeks ago, but apparently not on the bloodiest day, whichever that was. I'm a long holder and unconcerned by the "paint em all with doom brush" the fear factor is bringing.

A year ago SO was $52, today it's $49. PG was $101 a year ago, today $103. KMB was $121 4/5/19, today is $117. These are not significant changes.

The earnings reports will be of more interest to me than stock price.

Brett

Reaction score
oop, yep, that could certainly be true by now, but I was looking periodically as the sinking was happening, including 2 weeks ago, but apparently not on the bloodiest day, whichever that was. I'm a long holder and unconcerned by the "paint em all with doom brush" the fear factor is bringing.

A year ago SO was $52, today it's $49. PG was $101 a year ago, today $103. KMB was $121 4/5/19, today is $117. These are not significant changes.

The earnings reports will be of more interest to me than stock price.

your stocks may have done well these past few weeks but the average over the past year ....

s&P__1__-41-21.jpg

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
It is what it is!

i must admit that I did get back in today but not because I think we have reached the bottom. Don’t think we will see the bottom until the numbers turn. When there are fewer cases and deaths worldwide on a daily basis then the market will stabilize IMO.

I invested in about 10 different mutuals, basically the same ones I was in prior to bailing. Much easier for me to pick sectors than individual stocks. It worked very well for us in the past so I see no reason to change.

Now that the stimulus has been agreed to I wouldn’t be surprised to see it down today. The old adage buy on the rumor and sell on the news could come into play. From 5:30 this morning to 7:00 I’ve seen the futures go from +700 to -25!

geekette

Reaction score
your stocks may have done well these past few weeks but the average over the past year ....

View attachment 18236

Ok, but how are you over 5 or 10 years? The fall is from a very high mountain. Companies were making record profits, most everything was bid up well into overvalued territory.

A short term investor may have been wiped out but the long term investors are still solid.

Part of the reason I don't buy funds is that herd mentality moves them. It's co-ownership, where demands to sell force the manager's hand when they don't have the cash to satisfy all the sellers. Since I stay put, no co-owner forcing my hand, I don't have to lock in losses and have to "get back" anything. Still same number of shares. In most cases, same dividend.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice bounce yesterday, hopefully off the bottom, but the next few weeks will tell. I was cheering one stock in my retirement account up 22% at the close, then looked at the chart only to realize it's still 50% off it's peak 6 weeks ago and I'm still well underwater on this one.....it's going to be a long way back on some of my holdings.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Now that the stimulus has been agreed to I wouldn’t be surprised to see it down today. The old adage buy on the rumor and sell on the news could come into play. From 5:30 this morning to 7:00 I’ve seen the futures go from +700 to -25!
That was my prediction as well, but with the Dow being up over 1,100 right now, I'm glad we were both wrong!

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another TUGger described the bounce as a 'Bear Trap'. I'm still comfortably bathing in the cash pond.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another TUGger described the bounce as a 'Bear Trap'. I'm still comfortably bathing in the cash pond.
Could very well be. I wouldn't be surprised at a 15K Dow in the near future. Hope I'm wrong, but...

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Could very well be. I wouldn't be surprised at a 15K Dow in the near future. Hope I'm wrong, but...

Kurt

I was listening to Harry Dent saying the market will be toast and because of demographics it will take decades for it to return. Harry also says real estate every where will tank as boomers die off. Kind of interesting. I don't totally agree with Harry but I do agree with Richard on many things.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

remember too - the “dead cat bounce “ is coming .

when the news described the market as “cratering “ the other day - I figured the current
generation of market news writers were combing old headlines for new / old descriptive verbs .

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
My FA did a bunch of puts in early February which have proven to be a god send. He said he saw “cracks” in the economy and wanted to hedge. Now, he is starting to think on buying calls.

Boy, finding a great FA is like finding a gold mine.

So far, I have only lost 1.3 percent of my net worth. Lucky, as I think we are at 20 percent from the highs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fred,
Interestingly, I looked at my Merrill Lynch account today which also includes a total “NET Worth” section based on inputting all of your “other assets” and liabilities so you see a total picture.

For the 3 months thru yesterday that figure is down about 11.5% (not as bad as I thought).
I then did the compare for 12 months. I’m basically at break even from where I was at 4/1/19. Now granted that Includes new money that went in, primarily 401k contributions and matches from our employers but I was very surprised. The huge “growth” which we had experienced until last month was all “paper gains” as these are paper losses now.

There is definitely some hope for optimism for a good climb back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Fred,
Interestingly, I looked at my Merrill Lynch account today which also includes a total “NET Worth” section based on inputting all of your “other assets” and liabilities so you see a total picture.

For the 3 months thru yesterday that figure is down about 11.5% (not as bad as I thought).
I then did the compare for 12 months. I’m basically at break even from where I was at 4/1/19. Now granted that Includes new money that went in, primarily 401k contributions and matches from our employers but I was very surprised. The huge “growth” which we had experienced until last month was all “paper gains” as these are paper losses now.

There is definitely some hope for optimism for a good climb back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so. We are in day 3 of a rise and that’s with a 3.2 million job claims number. It’s kind of like TP. Panic always makes things worse and people overdue things. BTW, the purchase of TP has subsided.

I knew the US government would step in. I knew the economy was well before this. I know the world researchers are on it. They will find a solution. We know from other nations, this thing does subside (numbers down in China).

Frankly, the only people who got smoked were those on margin.
They were forced to sell causing a blip down.

That is not to say though that we still may have market turbulence here and there. However, once the weak holders are out and shares are in stronger hands, and this issues subsides, I think we are in for huge gains. I just think you have to stomach the violatility.

In short, I’ve been buying when panic is the highest and I think, over the long haul, it will pay off nicely.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The American economy and the stock market were doing very well. Until an atomic bomb was drop in China called the Coronavirus . The mushroom now have spread over the world and to 144 countries.

Brett

Reaction score
I think so. We are in day 3 of a rise and that’s with a 3.2 million job claims number. It’s kind of like TP. Panic always makes things worse and people overdue things. BTW, the purchase of TP has subsided.

I knew the US government would step in. I knew the economy was well before this. I know the world researchers are on it. They will find a solution. We know from other nations, this thing does subside (numbers down in China).

That is not to say though that we still may have market turbulence here and there. However, once the weak holders are out and shares are in stronger hands, and this issues subsides, I think we are in for huge gains. I just think you have to stomach the violatility.

In short, I’ve been buying when panic is the highest and I think, over the long haul, it will pay off nicely.

OK, so you are expecting HUGE stock market gains ... at some point in the future.
Please tell us a day or two before the HUGE gains occur .... much thx ;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you think it's going.
This thread is about whether one believes the stock market is going up or down in the near future.
or a buying opportunity ... or keep the cash :)
You know you have been bad "I suppose it depends on your definition of the "right thing for the people" :) "

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harry also says real estate every where will tank as boomers die off.
Was this just the natural, long term die off of the boomers as they age out, or was he saying there would be a significant die off just due to COVID-19? Just curious.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TP is still very scarce around here, but it can be found first thing as stores open up for a little while usually. However, haven't see basic staples like canned veggies, soup, flour, sugar, rice and bean on any shelf for the last couple of weeks.

I don't know about huge gains, as I think this struck a deep blow to the economy and it is going to be slow to recover. But recover it will; just a matter of how long it will take.

I continue with my automatic investments, but I haven't stepped up those as, frankly, I'm keeping a larger emergency cash fund. I think that is a prudent plan for me.

Kurt