• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you cooking?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is last night

Ginger orange pork loin
left over vegetables green beans, cabbage, and asparagus
scalloped potatoes
cantaloupe

Full disclosure the potatoes were from a box

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Tonight dh is making Asian short ribs, rice and salad.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me I eat whatever my wife cooks. Yesterday was one of my favorites BLT and artichokes. Steak the day before,spaghetti and salad one day,corned beef and cabbage on the 17th. We are eating the same as always. Never go to dinner much because in the past we did several cruises a year and about 6-8 weeks of time sharing (usually ate out then 1-2 times a day) so we like staying home for dinner. The hardest thing for me recently is not having sports to watch.
Bart

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
For me I eat whatever my wife cooks. Yesterday was one of my favorites BLT and artichokes. Steak the day before,spaghetti and salad one day,corned beef and cabbage on the 17th. We are eating the same as always. Never go to dinner much because in the past we did several cruises a year and about 6-8 weeks of time sharing (usually ate out then 1-2 times a day) so we like staying home for dinner. The hardest thing for me recently is not having sports to watch.
Bart
Don't they have reruns of some sports? I thought I read somewhere that the NBA was going to rerun games from previous years of March Madness.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Reruns don't get it with me. Sort of like been there done that.
I’m with you. My wife watches old Alabama football games often. I don’t see the point. If we won, I already know how it’s going to end. If we lost, I sure as heck don’t want to be reminded of it!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who sells fresh fish wholesale to restaurants. I got fresh swordfish from him and so we're having that tonight with some asparagus and risotto. Tomorrow I'm going easy and doing a crock pot dish with a small master carve ham, onions, potatoes, carrots and green beans. Monday is going to be pork loin cooked in home made tomato sauce with pasta and salad. Tuesday is going to be steak and roasted potatoes. I'll figure out the rest of the week by about Monday.

By the way, boneless pork loint is dirt cheap if you buy the whole loin. I just got a small one at Costco for $1.69 per pound. I'm going to use part of it for the dinner above, freeze some, and cook the rest in the crock pot with seasoning and make crock pot BBQ. I'll get at least four or five meals out of it for the three of us. Why is it so inexpensive, you may ask. It's because there is only one pork belly on a hog and we eat a ton of bacon. Same reason why boneless chicken breasts are so inexpensie (they used to be very expensive). Only two wings per bird, and we eat a lot of Buffalo wings.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Reruns don't get it with me. Sort of like been there done that.
I know my dh records soccer matches, then watches them at a later date. Of course if there is nothing going on currently you can't do that now.

We should get this thread back to cooking. :p

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know my dh records soccer matches, then watches them at a later date. Of course if there is nothing going on currently you can't do that now.

We should get this thread back to cooking. :p
Yes, reruns are like leftovers. is that a good segue back to food?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
970be67a5af289c59725d305e6f0b620.jpg

Tonight we had these Lasagna cups made in muffin tins. My wife saw the recipe on FB by a person called appropriately enough “stay at home chef”. Pretty easy to make and easy to refrigerate or freeze the leftovers for eating another time. Came out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes, reruns are like leftovers. is that a good segue back to food?
But I LOVE leftovers! And there are many shows whose reruns I love as well. Not into sports though.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But I LOVE leftovers! And there are many shows whose reruns I love as well. Not into sports though.
I actually like some reruns, too. Leftovers, not so much.

As far as what we will be cooking, my daughter notified me today that we will need to have homemade chicken fingers soon. That is her ultimate comfort food and her mom(DW) hates to cook them because it’s so messy and they’re so greasy and fattening. So, occasionally, I play sous chef to my daughter and we cook them.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
970be67a5af289c59725d305e6f0b620.jpg

Tonight we had these Lasagna cups made in muffin tins. My wife saw the recipe on FB by a person called appropriately enough “stay at home chef”. Pretty easy to make and easy to refrigerate or freeze the leftovers for eating another time. Came out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks real good! Yum

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually like some reruns, too. Leftovers, not so much.

As far as what we will be cooking, my daughter notified me today that we will need to have homemade chicken fingers soon. That is her ultimate comfort food and her mom(DW) hates to cook them because it’s so messy and they’re so greasy and fattening. So, occasionally, I play sous chef to my daughter and we cook them.
Leftovers are my favorite. Iris always makes extra so I can have it for lunch the next day or two. For her she leaves the leftovers for me and she has a peanut butter banana or sometimes a tortilla spread with peanut butter and cut up banana for lunch.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are quite the chef...

I enjoy cooking especially for big groups. In 41 years of marriage I can only remember a few meals my wife has made and that was usually after a surgery. One of the reasons we do not go out much is we enjoy what I cook more than most restaurant meals unless we go high end. Then the thriftyness kicks in.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Roast beef,mashed potatoes,corn and biscuits tonight

cream cheese chicken taquitos with hatch green chili sauce last night

tomorrow I'm going to smoke a brisket and a couple of pastamis

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lucked into the last package of Red Bird split chicken breasts and a couple of packages of the Best short ribs among other items.

And double lucky, found all the items on my list for my daughter's birthday dinner -- in a couple of mountain town grocery stores, because "no way" in my city hometown where the celebration took place.

My wife summed it up -- a two-week Covid-19 lockdown will be the "Covid- 19 pounds gain"), because she knows how I cook when I have nothing better to do.

Last night it was Chicken Veronique with the chicken breasts. Tonight it was wild rice and cheddar cheese soup followed by broiled salmon filet, cheesy broccoli as a side, and Andes mint chocolate cheesecake for dessert. Tomorrow night (for the non-vegetarians) it will be beef short ribs, inspired by Chef Ramsey. (I cook it in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes instead of the oven).

Good luck finding any chicken in your local grocery store like I did, but for future reference:

The best beef short ribs EVER:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure the potatoes were from a box
I noticed the boxed dinners were depleted at every grocery store I visited. Sad.

If you want to do better for scalloped potatoes:

Scalloped Potatoes
Serves 6-8

9x9 Pyrex baking dish
4 large or 5 medium gold or red potatoes (Not Russet potatoes), peeled or not
1/2 sweet onion. medium diced
3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon Penzey’s Fajita Seasoning or ½ t North Woods Seasoning
1 Tablespoon vermouth or 2 T dry white wine
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste, or Lawry’s seasoning salt
1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

1. Thinly slice potatoes
2. In a 1.5L saucepan, melt butter, add flour. Microwave 2 minutes on high stirring every 30 seconds. Add onion, mix well, then microwave 3 minutes on high, stirring at 1 minute.
3. Add seasoning salt and wine, stir well, then add 1 cup milk. Mix well and microwave until thickened. Add remaining 1 cup milk, salt and pepper; mix well.
4. Place one layer of potatoes in greased 9x9 baking dish. Cover with 1/3 sauce, then sprinkle ½ cup Cheddar Cheese. Repeat for two more layers, but reserve last ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
5. Cover and microwave on high for 25 minutes, or bake in 400 F oven for 1.5 hours.
6. Top with reserved cheddar cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Options:
Replace ½ cup milk with yogurt or sour cream
Substitute one cup of cooked, pureed butternut squash (mixed into sauce) for one of the potatoes.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed the boxed dinners were depleted at every grocery store I visited. Sad.

If you want to do better for scalloped potatoes:

Scalloped Potatoes
Serves 6-8

9x9 Pyrex baking dish
4 large or 5 medium gold or red potatoes (Not Russet potatoes), peeled or not
1/2 sweet onion. medium diced
3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon Penzey’s Fajita Seasoning or ½ t North Woods Seasoning
1 Tablespoon vermouth or 2 T dry white wine
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste, or Lawry’s seasoning salt
1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

1. Thinly slice potatoes
2. In a 1.5L saucepan, melt butter, add flour. Microwave 2 minutes on high stirring every 30 seconds. Add onion, mix well, then microwave 3 minutes on high, stirring at 1 minute.
3. Add seasoning salt and wine, stir well, then add 1 cup milk. Mix well and microwave until thickened. Add remaining 1 cup milk, salt and pepper; mix well.
4. Place one layer of potatoes in greased 9x9 baking dish. Cover with 1/3 sauce, then sprinkle ½ cup Cheddar Cheese. Repeat for two more layers, but reserve last ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
5. Cover and microwave on high for 25 minutes, or bake in 400 F oven for 1.5 hours.
6. Top with reserved cheddar cheese and place under broiler until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Options:
Replace ½ cup milk with yogurt or sour cream
Substitute one cup of cooked, pureed butternut squash (mixed into sauce) for one of the potatoes.
The ironic thing is we went out Tuesday to quickly restock fresh produce. The one thing I could not find was potatoes. I may even have to resort to the instant mashed potatoes we have a few pouches of.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Leftovers are my favorite. Iris always makes extra so I can have it for lunch the next day or two. For her she leaves the leftovers for me and she has a peanut butter banana or sometimes a tortilla spread with peanut butter and cut up banana for lunch.
This is us, only it's me who eats the left overs and dh who has something else. He also usually makes enough that we can freeze some for later. We have enough in our freezer right now that we're good for weeks.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We just finished a "1905 Salad" courtesy of "Columbia Restaurant."
-- It includes ham, swiss cheese, olives & tomatoes.
Buy the salad dressing (online) and you get the recipe on the back.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Tonight is a slow cooker meal Sage chicken and red potatoes.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last night was a simple and delicious dinner - 4 salmon patties from Costco, Ore-Ida crowned potato tots and stir fry baby bak choy. We were salmon patty-out about 8 years ago when we ate that alot.

Tonight is back to my chicken vegetable soup which I cooked on Saturday evening. That pot will last another 2 to 3 nights. After that I may cook tri-tip and NY strip steaks on our wood pellet smoker grill. That will last us another 4 meals. I will make some mashed potatoes and have to think about the vegetables.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from a wonderful all-inclusive week in Mexico. Glad to be home but sad to see what is happening everywhere. Fortunately I've always kept a well-stocked pantry so we are fine food-wise (we even have TP lol), and since we eat vegan/vegetarian at home I don't need to worry about buying meat, eggs or dairy. Yesterday I made a pot of wonderful wild rice/chickpea soup with cashew cream, and today for lunch we had avocado/tomato/red onion sandwiches on Dave's Killer Bread, and we are having butternut squash black bean chili with all the toppings for dinner.