• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How exchange companies are handling cancellations thread

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this topic is going to be all over the board and it may be helpful to keep all the info in one place as lots of us are interested in knowing.
As we all get information. Please share here.

Personally, I have a RCI TPU exchange into Disneyworld that starts next week. Technically the resort itself isn't closing, just the theme parks.
I cant still buy Trade Power Protection on this exchange via RCI for $104. This will get my TPUS back.
Worse case I'm out $333 (exchange fee at protection costs) I'm ok with that and may even be able to try a claim with Chase UR insurance.

But...I wonder, Disney is allowing guests to reschedule for a year. Will this apply for RCI exchanges as well.

This will all take time to unfold.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Diamond Resorts allowing free cancellations and changes per attached letter today.
3ffa7f02bddc2601827cd012c41f622d.jpg
75a2eff6ca5511b35d52860459e54a7e.jpg
c9bd2e8b2cec2a1fb442c958427165a7.jpg
5a0a974355947f75e629db7cc1b6c391.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if RCI will offer refund to exchange fee?

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know about RCI but I doubt that they will return exchange fee. I cancelled my trip for next week with II and although they did not return exchange fee they did return my deposit and I have one year to complete a new exchange.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I feel like everyone should travel. What happened to all of the people on the JetBlue flight with the man from nyc to palm beach? Did the whole plane test positive? I suspect not. Go on vacation. Buy Lysol, Lysol down the room and relax and get your mind off this situation.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Ugh- I spoke with a few people: I have an exchange with a cancellation replacement week scheduled for mid April, with the original date of the replacement week expiring mid May. They won't make any concessions, not even to extend the date of the week. So much for customer service in light of a global pandemic!

Just to update- Mark, the Tug rep. is wonderful! Called me and they are now offering a bonus week good till the end of Dec., good for anything in Flex but only 30 days out, for trips cancelled starting on or before 4/20. Things might change so I'll give it a week and see, but at least they are trying to work with people. The original exchange fee is lost but everyone has to share the pain. This should be the worst thing....

Last edited:

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like everyone should travel. What happened to all of the people on the JetBlue flight with the man from nyc to palm beach? Did the whole plane test positive? I suspect not. Go on vacation. Buy Lysol, Lysol down the room and relax and get your mind off this situation.
I agree with you, but we are forced to react to the changes around us.
I would want to cancel a DVC exchange due to no parks, or maybe cancel due to lack of supplies or changes to events or other things I have planned for vacation.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
If you are high risk or care from someone high risk stay home and be careful. If you are not than travel and enjoy the smaller crowds. I would head to the beach or mountains to get some fresh air and stay away from other people. I would avoid theme parks, cruise ships and other large gaetherings.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
RCI through 4/5
Someone on Facebook is reporting that rci is refunding exchange fee and tpu's/points for exchanges through 4/5. Some people are complaining about that but I say better than nothing and they can always re-evaluate and go further in a week or two. You do have to call in. I don't know if you need to get a supervisor involved but if the regular agent says they can't, I would ask for a supervisor.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI through 4/5
Someone on Facebook is reporting that rci is refunding exchange fee and tpu's/points for exchanges through 4/5. Some people are complaining about that but I say better than nothing and they can always re-evaluate and go further in a week or two. You do have to call in. I don't know if you need to get a supervisor involved but if the regular agent says they can't, I would ask for a supervisor.

Good to know. What would be the complaint if you get your exchange fee back and your TPUs?? What else is there to get?
I have been making all my calls in the morning when the call centers open, less wait. Will try tomorrow (or maybe chat)

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
RAINTREE VACATION CLUB free changes and cancellations

Dear Member,

The safety of our Members, guests, and staff is always our top priority. As the situation around the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues to develop, we want to assure you that we are taking the necessary measures to ensure you are as safe as possible. We have continued to welcome Members and guests to our resorts but we also recognize the seriousness of this situation.

We follow protocols issued by the CDC and the World Health Organization to minimize risks associated with coronavirus. We've increased our cleaning processes, added sanitizer in public and staff areas, and our onsite or local physicians have specific protocols to treat anyone who presents symptoms. We encourage you to enjoy your vacations as always, remembering to practice smart hygiene- wash your hands often, cover when coughing or sneezing, and clean surfaces of commonly used items.

As everyone's circumstances are different, Raintree Vacation Club will allow Members to cancel reservations checking in up to May 31st with no penalty and return their Points. If you do decide to cancel your reservation due to COVID-19, we will extend your returned Points for an additional year.

Please feel free to contact a Raintree Vacation Guide at 1-800-424-6532, or locally at 317-805-9167 if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you for being part of the Raintree family and we appreciate your understanding as we continue our efforts in providing Members with extraordinary vacation experiences. Please note, that as we evaluate the status of the COVID-19, we will make changes to this policy as needed and keep you informed.

Sincerely,

Raintree Vacation Club

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Good to know. What would be the complaint if you get your exchange fee back and your TPUs?? What else is there to get?
I have been making all my calls in the morning when the call centers open, less wait. Will try tomorrow (or maybe chat)
The complaint is from people with a checkin on the 6th and beyond.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My note would not post, and now it's a duplicate.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tracy wrote:
<<RCI through 4/5
Someone on Facebook is reporting that rci is refunding exchange fee and tpu's/points for exchanges through 4/5. Some people are complaining about that but I say better than nothing and they can always re-evaluate and go further in a week or two. You do have to call in. I don't know if you need to get a supervisor involved but if the regular agent says they can't, I would ask for a supervisor.>>

Thank you Tracy. I called RCI after reading your note, and can confirm that I was told the same, plus they offered to give back most of my points protection. I paid $104 yesterday when I read the WDW parks closure announcement, and the RCI rep said I'd get $64 of that back.
Since the parks are not officially closed for our dates (yet), I didn't cancel the reservation yet. However, we are resigned to not going and it's quite a disappointment.
The exchange fee will be held as a credit on our RCI account.
Our WorldMark points would be returned (but held within RCI for future exchange)

I thought their offer was exceptional.

barco13

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, just saw a related post........

Anybody have any examples of what II may be doing? I have a 3/15 check-in on an exchange. Didn't purchase trip insurance but also was not thinking a national state of emergency. Would hope companies realize how unique this situation is.

Last edited:

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Valued Member,

As we monitor coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact to our members, associates, and communities, please know your safety and well-being are of the utmost importance to us. We are closely following the Centers for Disease Control's (CDC) travel guidelines as well as their recommendations on the steps to help prevent the spread of the virus.

We understand the uncertainty you may be experiencing with this situation, and encourage you to:
  • Follow the CDC travel updates. You may also want to visit the U.S. State Department website or the World Health Organization for more information.
  • Take appropriate steps as outlined by health authorities to safeguard your health and that of your family.
  • For specific questions about actions being taken by particular resorts or travel providers in response to the coronavirus, please visit their website or contact them directly.
If you’ve booked a vacation with Interval for travel that begins within the next 30 days and have questions, please contact:
  • 1-800-INTERVAL (1-800-468-3782) for Exchange, Getaways and Accommodation Certificates.
  • 1-800-622-1540 for Cruises and all other travel.
As you continue to make your future travel plans with Interval, we recommend purchasing E-Plus for exchanges. E-Plus offers the added flexibility to retrade a confirmed exchange for any reason up to three times for a different destination, resort, unit size, or travel date.

We will continue to monitor this evolving situation and remain dedicated to being your resource for all your travel needs.

Thank you for your membership.
mail

Jeanette Marbert
President
Interval International

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Our April Sedona trip was canceled due to Hubs job canceling all vacations until May. II gave us an AC good for the next 6mo. Only caveat is it only can be used to book inventory available in-the next 30 days. Difficult proposition when you are tied to the school schedule and must be w/in reasonable driving distance. However I’ll take it.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Weeks: I just got off the phone with them. I was able to cancel my upcoming exchange for 3/21 to DVC resort.
TPUs are back in my account
I have a coupon for $229 for the exchange fee that needs to be used by 6/30. I should have asked if I just need to make and exchange by then or travel by then. Anyone that calls, can you please ask?
They are doing this for exchanges up to 4/5

For those of you that are after 4/5, this is all fluid and it appears the travel agency is taking things 2 weeks at time. Let it play out and my guess is you will get the same offer.

lweaverk

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is part of the email I received from Holiday Inn Club Yesterday:

We’re Flexible

While we love bringing families together for an amazing vacation, we recognize that you may be hesitant to travel at this time. If you need to cancel or modify an upcoming stay taking place between March 13 and April 30, you will receive a full refund of your Club points. Please call (877) 606-2582 for assistance with this. If you have questions or concerns regarding a reservation after April 30, we kindly ask that you wait a few days to call, as we are experiencing high call volume and want to allow those with an immediate need to be assisted by our team first.

I had a reservation at the new property in New Orleans for mid-April. The event I was going for was postponed to October. Points I used included some that - even with paid-for extension - would have expired prior to that new date. I made the new reservation. They ultimately (at least according to the rep) DID extend those points that would have expired, by granting an "Exception". I am still skeptical, because the details of this trx are not showing as yet in my account. It took MUCH bitter complaining (in view of their promise of "FLEXIBILITY" in the email) to get the rep to try for this "exception". All of this cost an additional $99 in fees (part of it points protection). IF it turns out to all be as was verbally promised by the rep, I will be somewhat satisfied by the outcome (I think the fee should have also been waived). How DIFFICULT it was to get them to even OFFER it (after their misleading email in effect saying "All is well - we will take good care of you") was VERY disappointing!

Thought I'd pass this along .. all that they promise in their "soothing" emails needs to be viewed with a grain of salt.

Cyclone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Melia Paradisus Los Cabos Mexico
I phoned RCI a couple days ago. I have a trip planned in Scotland starting in a week. No, they will not refund an exchange fee. At best, they will return the 24 TP exchange and it will be redeposited as a 10 TP.

Still not sure whether to cancel because Scotland (and the Dublin airport) doesn't seem to be risky, but I don't want to get stuck there or self-quarantine for 14 days upon return. As of today,, I don't think the self quarantine is required.

Cyclone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Melia Paradisus Los Cabos Mexico
RCI Weeks: I just got off the phone with them. I was able to cancel my upcoming exchange for 3/21 to DVC resort.
TPUs are back in my account
I have a coupon for $229 for the exchange fee that needs to be used by 6/30. I should have asked if I just need to make and exchange by then or travel by then. Anyone that calls, can you please ask?
They are doing this for exchanges up to 4/5

For those of you that are after 4/5, this is all fluid and it appears the travel agency is taking things 2 weeks at time. Let it play out and my guess is you will get the same offer.
Thank you for the post! This offer was not presented a few days ago when I called them.

NHpauls

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because of this site, I saved my TPU’s and got a coupon for the exchange fee!! THANK YOU!! I had decided to not go on my trip in 2 weeks and assumed I would lose the exchange fee and points. Due to the national crisis, I accepted that. But you guys saved me!

I was on hold for a long, long time with RCI but it worked. I can only use the coupon towards booking a new vacation (I wanted to use it to combine points but no luck...).

To madurette: I need to book the trip by Apr 30th and need to travel by the end of next year. I think that is very, very fair!

Thanks again folks!

Jan S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in California, you can't even buy Lysol! People are hoarding anything and everything that has the potential to kill this virus. Let's hope things turn in a more positive way very soon! Stay safe and protect yourselves!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Here in California, you can't even buy Lysol! People are hoarding anything and everything that has the potential to kill this virus. Let's hope things turn in a more positive way very soon! Stay safe and protect yourselves!!
I know. The hoarders only make things worse. It’s a false sense of security. I was an early prepper as in I was in Costco twice two weeks ago. I had stocked up on plenty of food food. 20 chicken breasts, frozen shrimp, burgers, pasta, and protein bars etc. in a quarantine they would still allow people to get food. In Italy only one person per household can leave to get food. I’m set for two weeks. I’m going to stock up on more coffee beans if I run low lol. People are proving how much they panic in these situations. When this dies down I will be prepared, masks, gloves (although I always have plenty of vinyl gloves on hand for cooking!), cleaning supplies etc. staying home will help but people need to follow through.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Valued Member,

As we monitor coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact to our members, associates, and communities, please know your safety and well-being are of the utmost importance to us. We are closely following the Centers for Disease Control's (CDC) travel guidelines as well as their recommendations on the steps to help prevent the spread of the virus.

We understand the uncertainty you may be experiencing with this situation, and encourage you to:
  • Follow the CDC travel updates. You may also want to visit the U.S. State Department website or the World Health Organization for more information.
  • Take appropriate steps as outlined by health authorities to safeguard your health and that of your family.
  • For specific questions about actions being taken by particular resorts or travel providers in response to the coronavirus, please visit their website or contact them directly.
If you’ve booked a vacation with Interval for travel that begins within the next 30 days and have questions, please contact:
  • 1-800-INTERVAL (1-800-468-3782) for Exchange, Getaways and Accommodation Certificates.
  • 1-800-622-1540 for Cruises and all other travel.
As you continue to make your future travel plans with Interval, we recommend purchasing E-Plus for exchanges. E-Plus offers the added flexibility to retrade a confirmed exchange for any reason up to three times for a different destination, resort, unit size, or travel date.

We will continue to monitor this evolving situation and remain dedicated to being your resource for all your travel needs.

Thank you for your membership.
mail

Jeanette Marbert
President
Interval International
We have a vacation in Beaver Creek for 4/10 that I will probably will cancel. I have the e-plus but since we are in the 60 day window I can only search for weeks until 6/9/20. Really a bummer because I do not think we will be able to travel in that window. I might call on Monday before I cancel to see if there is a way for them to extend the week.