• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How exchange companies are handling cancellations thread

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have a vacation in Beaver Creek for 4/10 that I will probably will cancel. I have the e-plus but since we are in the 60 day window I can only search for weeks until 6/9/20. Really a bummer because I do not think we will be able to travel in that window. I might call on Monday before I cancel to see if there is a way for them to extend the week.
How many other retrades do you still have left? If all three, you can retrade out three times, each time extending it another 60 days. This could give you a 6 week window to travel.

Inuk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, just saw a related post........

Anybody have any examples of what II may be doing? I have a 3/15 check-in on an exchange. Didn't purchase trip insurance but also was not thinking a national state of emergency. Would hope companies realize how unique this situation is.
Hi,
I just cancelled a week in Mexico booked through Interval International. I did not have the insurance (never do) but they gave me a good deal I think. I am cancelling one week out and they have offered a certificate good through to the end of December 2020. I only have a 30 day booking window but do not have to pay another exchange fee. The certificate does not restrict resort options so considering the short time frame I am happy. Of course would be a lot happier if I was packing for Mexico.
C'est la vie.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many other retrades do you still have left? If all three, you can retrade out three times, each time extending it another 60 days. This could give you a 6 week window to travel.
I only have one left..... :(

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I only have one left..... :(
You could try cancelling and getting a cancellation replacement week. It will still be tied to the 59 day restriction but should be good for a year. Of course that means calling II and having to wait in the phone queue. You could ask if they would refund any of the exchange or Eplus fees previously paid. Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could try cancelling and getting a cancellation replacement week. It will still be tied to the 59 day restriction but should be good for a year. Of course that means calling II and having to wait in the phone queue. You could ask if they would refund any of the exchange or Eplus fees previously paid. Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I did call and the rep had to check with a supervisor. They waved the 60 day window and opened it up until 2022. The only issue is that I HAD to book something while on the phone. I was unable to find anything at that time....plus I felt under pressure. She was very patient with me. She said she would make a note but there was no guarantee that I would be offered it again. She said it is totally up to the supervisor on duty ...if you know what I mean. I am going to have to take my chances and call back.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I know. The hoarders only make things worse. It’s a false sense of security. I was an early prepper as in I was in Costco twice two weeks ago. I had stocked up on plenty of food food. 20 chicken breasts, frozen shrimp, burgers, pasta, and protein bars etc. in a quarantine they would still allow people to get food. In Italy only one person per household can leave to get food. I’m set for two weeks. I’m going to stock up on more coffee beans if I run low lol. People are proving how much they panic in these situations. When this dies down I will be prepared, masks, gloves (although I always have plenty of vinyl gloves on hand for cooking!), cleaning supplies etc. staying home will help but people need to follow through.

I was in Costco and Target this morning and only trash bags left on the shelve. I was lucky to get few last can food and frozen meat/seafood. The wait time was 1 hour to get in Costco and I really dislike people stared at me like I'm a monster because I wore face mask.

Just FYI, I just hanged up with Interval. They don't let me cancel an getaway that is still 5 months away.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I was in Costco and Target this morning and only trash bags left on the shelve. I was lucky to get few last can food and frozen meat/seafood. The wait time was 1 hour to get in Costco and I really dislike people stared at me like I'm a monster because I wore face mask.

Just FYI, I just hanged up with Interval. They don't let me cancel an getaway that is still 5 months away.
Everyone should be wearing a mask! This is the issue with this country.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Yup the downside of being the only western democracy to emphasize in its constitution individual rights & freedoms over the common good. Imagine if POTUS gave the same info other countries are giving their citizens... 18 months, 237M in USA will get the virus, minimum 1.6M will die.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Problem with face masks is that they dont work. At the very best they provide very little protection. If they get any moist at all they don’t work and You put yourself in risk of getting infected. A moist mask is kinda hoarding bacteria or viruses.
Even if it doesn’t get any moist it only work for a few short hours and then it needs to get replaced.
Your money is better spent elsewhere like hand sanitizer or similar.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Problem with face masks is that they dont work. At the very best they provide very little protection. If they get any moist at all they don’t work and You put yourself in risk of getting infected. A moist mask is kinda hoarding bacteria or viruses.
Even if it doesn’t get any moist it only work for a few short hours and then it needs to get replaced.
They work for those who are sick. So they don’t spread them around.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
They work for those who are sick. So they don’t spread them around.
I agree but I also think they provide some level of protection as well.
We all got a good laugh when the Surgeon General told people to stop buying them because they dont protect you AND because the medical sector needs them. What sense does that make?

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree but I also think they provide some level of protection as well.
We all got a good laugh when the Surgeon General told people to stop buying them because they dont protect you AND because the medical sector needs them. What sense does that make?
Because medical professionals are trained in how to use them, ensure they fit, and can use in conjunction with eye shields. The N-95 in particular comes in different sizes and medical personnel go through a "fit test" to see if they can detect the the taste of the spray while performing various tasks. We are also trained to not constantly touch the mask, our face etc while wearing them. We also know how to properly dispose of them to avoid contamination. MEdical personnel are also in close proximity while providing personal cares and are more likely to get sneezed or coughed on and don't you think they DESERVE more protection?
Do you know any of that?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Because medical professionals are trained in how to use them, ensure they fit, and can use in conjunction with eye shields. The N-95 in particular comes in different sizes and medical personnel go through a "fit test" to see if they can detect the the taste of the spray while performing various tasks. We are also trained to not constantly touch the mask, our face etc while wearing them. We also know how to properly dispose of them to avoid contamination. MEdical personnel are also in close proximity while providing personal cares and are more likely to get sneezed or coughed on and don't you think they DESERVE more protection?
Do you know any of that?
Yup. My sister in law had her annual test yesterday and was sending us pictures saying “see” lol.

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know any of that?
Oh I understand all of that. I routinely go through a fit test for SCBA. Thank you for the lesson though.
You missed my point, which was the statement from the SG stating essentially that they dont offer protection for the general public, which is not true.
Of course I think medical personnel should have ALL of the access to them. Give it to me straight though.

Cyclone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Melia Paradisus Los Cabos Mexico
RCI Weeks member here. After reading this thread this morning, and hearing about today's travel restrictions applying to the UK/Ireland now, I did some research on where I would like to switch to for my 3/21/2020 check-in, and then phoned RCI. Almost 30 minute wait. In a remarkably short time, the agent canceled my exchange week, and even was able to rebook my on an "extra vacation" week (NOT an Exchange Week), for a nice large unit in Kauai. She charged me a few hundred bucks to cover the"up-charge" related to the exchange. Done! Well worth it. Honestly, I cannot believe that they were willing to do such a cancellation and exchange (other than the check-in date is a week away). I can't believe this is one of those times where you get lucky on a timeshare trade. It makes up for some of the times when it just doesn't work out. Thank you for the postings here. Without this particular thread, I don't think it would have happened.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Updated II:
  • - EXCHANGES:
  • o For all exchanges with check-in dates through April 30, 2020, members may change their destination and/or travel date without incurring an additional exchange fee. Travel must be completed by December 31, 2020. If you prefer more time to travel, we can provide you with our standard fee-based replacement-week certificate, which is good for one year.
  • o For all exchanges with a check-in date after April 30, 2020, our standard exchange cancellation policies apply. We commit that we will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments as necessary.
  • o Members who make exchanges between March 14, 2020, and April 30, 2020, will have the option to retrade to another available destination and/or date if your plans change — without incurring an additional exchange fee.
  • - GETAWAYS:
  • o For Getaways cancelled with check-in dates through April 30, 2020, you will have the option to apply the amount paid toward a future Getaway. If you are unable to identify your travel destination/date at the time of cancellation, you will be provided with a no-fee replacement-week certificate for which travel must be completed by December 31, 2020.
  • o For any cancellation of a Getaway that is booked between March 14, 2020, and April 30, 2020, you will have the option to apply the amount paid toward a future Getaway.
  • - CRUISES:
  • o Members who book a cruise through Interval Travel will follow the policies of each individual cruise line. Please call Interval Travel, and we will inform you of your options and facilitate your cancellation for you.
In order to better serve you, we will open our Member-Services Center on Sunday, March 15, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Please recognize that our call volume is very high right now, so if you do not have travel plans within the next 30 days, please wait before contacting us.
We value your membership and appreciate your patience and understanding. We are committed to supporting you in this time of uncertainty — and providing you with wonderful vacation memories in the future.
Warm Regards,

Jeanette Marbert
President, Interval International

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tracy:
Thank you for posting the new letter from II. I had only seen the prior letter. As always, I appreciate your helpfulness.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Updated II:
  • - EXCHANGES:
  • o For all exchanges with check-in dates through April 30, 2020, members may change their destination and/or travel date without incurring an additional exchange fee. Travel must be completed by December 31, 2020. If you prefer more time to travel, we can provide you with our standard fee-based replacement-week certificate, which is good for one year.

Do you know if they're restricting the future trade to only a 30 day window, as they were offering on Friday? I know this is uodated since Friday it was only for reservations through April 20th, so I was wondering if the 30day restriction also changed.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like everyone should travel. What happened to all of the people on the JetBlue flight with the man from nyc to palm beach? Did the whole plane test positive? I suspect not. Go on vacation. Buy Lysol, Lysol down the room and relax and get your mind off this situation.
You must be young and healthy. So if you catch COVID-19, you probably won't die. Those of us in the high risk groups probably would.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You must be young and healthy. So if you catch COVID-19, you probably won't die. Those of us in the high risk groups probably would.
I have completely changed my position on that. Everyone should be staying home. I live in nyc and I’m annoyed at people out and about like it’s no big deal. I haven’t left my house in a few days and I’m ok with that. I do not want to spread anything and have someone like my mom catch it. No thanks. This has to be stopped and any unnecessary travel domestically or internationally needs to end. Our economy will take a huge hit. I wonder how chinas economy will fair from this while the rest of us suffer.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Including hold the call took 1hour and 13 minutes to Interval. She did have to put a supervisor override to get me out of flexchange. The trip was for March 28 that I was trading out of. I wanted Thanksgiving week Sun-Sun, at Grand Vista, I was using a Marriott exchange. I could see availability with other weeks. The best she could do was Friday to Friday checking out the day after Thanksgiving. Because it has the supervisor override I am not sure if it will allow me to cancel for an unrestricted replacement week if need be. I will probably be waiting to August or September to make that decision.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is, we can't just think about ourselves. What if we have elderly relatives and we catch it and spread it to them?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have completely changed my position on that. Everyone should be staying home. I live in nyc and I’m annoyed at people out and about like it’s no big deal. I haven’t left my house in a few days and I’m ok with that. I do not want to spread anything and have someone like my mom catch it. No thanks. This has to be stopped and any unnecessary travel domestically or internationally needs to end. Our economy will take a huge hit. I wonder how chinas economy will fair from this while the rest of us suffer.
I suspect China's economy will be hit hard. Especially on trade. Other countries should have realized that we depend on China far too much. I have seen anywhere from 90-95% of our pharmaceuticals are manufactured in China. Many antibiotics. The higher percentages are on the generic medication side. China's state run media has reported they could cut off pharmaceuticals to the US. An empty threat? Perhaps. But not something we or any other country should take lightly.

Of course the US economy will take a huge hit, though perhaps not the grocery sector and especially not Costco or Sam's. There is also the economies of the Caribbean that rely heavily on tourism. It will be a rough couple years, but as long as this doesn't linger, they will all bounce back at some point. Just like they did after 9/11 and the market meltdown.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I suspect China's economy will be hit hard. Especially on trade. Other countries should have realized that we depend on China far too much. I have seen anywhere from 90-95% of our pharmaceuticals are manufactured in China. Many antibiotics. The higher percentages are on the generic medication side. China's state run media has reported they could cut off pharmaceuticals to the US. An empty threat? Perhaps. But not something we or any other country should take lightly.

Of the US economy will take a huge hit, though perhaps not the grocery sector and especially not Costco or Sam's. There is also the economies of the Caribbean that rely heavily on tourism. It will be a rough couple years, but as long as this doesn't linger, they will all bounce back at some point. Just like they did after 9/11 and the market meltdown.
Couldn’t agree more. When this hit China and well before it came here, when we started feeling the effects of the trade route shut down, I immediately thought this is the time to bring even more manufacturing back to the US!

This is why I always want branded medications. Most are made in factories here or Europe.

Jim&Martha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in Kirkland WA, the epicenter, we can't buy hand sanitizer at all, none to be had. We can still buy plastic gloves which are a good reminder not to touch your face while out of the house, it works. Then when you get back into your car from the store, take the gloves off and toss them. I made some sanitizer with alcohol and aloe vera, but now those supplies are gone from the shelves too.