• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 ] anyone has stopped paying maintenance fees, what happened ?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, RCI
This is my first post on this thread, so I hope I'm doing it correctly! There's so much information on the TUG site, and it's all really helpful. My 86 yr old mother already owns over a million points with Wyndham that she deeded to me and my sister. Then, about 2 years ago she unexpectedly "bought points with RCI". My mother is very unclear about what she actually purchased, other than calling it RCI, she told me it is with Inverness at Del Lago in TX. She visited the site once, and is no longer physically able to travel anywhere. She told me she had mail telling her that the resort was bankrupt and being sold. I went to the Inverness at Del Lago web site and found information that the resort was closed, sold to a new owner, and under renovation. I wanted to contact the HOA and try to be honest about how to give back the property, or whatever was possible since my mother is physically unable to use it (they even describe the units as "difficult for disabled persons" because all bedrooms/bathrooms are on the 2d floor of all units. I contacted RCI and they denied having any relationship with resorts. How can I find the right people to talk with, at least as Step 1? I read the info posted here about what happens if you stop paying Maintenance Fees. My mother owns the timeshare, so is only paying the maintenance fees, but wants to get out of it. Thoughts?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG, petloverinmaine:

The resort contact info is:

Inverness at Del Lago (#1105)
100 La Costa Drive
Montgomery, TX 77356
USA

Resort telephone number: 936/582-4442
https://www.inverness.org/
Del Lago/La Torretta Resort Facilities
All of those amenities that have been identified as being nearby are in a facility formerly known as Del Lago Resort, or La Torretta Resort. That facility has now been sold and has been closed for rennovations. The rennovations should last about a year and the facility should reopen about August 1, 2020.

Those amenities include the tennis courts, spa, water park, all of the restaurants, hotel, and conference facilities. The golf course will remain open.

---
RCI is an exchange company. It is not the owner or manager of any resorts. The sales people probably touted the resort as being able to trade through RCI. (It's a common misconception and many timeshare owners think they "own RCI".) Your mother's ownership may have been converted to "RCI points", where she may elect points (instead of using the actual week at Inverness), and use those points to reserve other RCI resorts.

Last edited:

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

100 La Costa Drive
Montgomery, TX 77356
USA

All of those amenities that have been identified as being nearby are in a facility formerly known as Del Lago Resort, or La Torretta Resort. That facility has now been sold and has been closed for rennovations. The rennovations should last about a year and the facility should reopen about August 1, 2020.

Those amenities include the tennis courts, spa, water park, all of the restaurants, hotel, and conference facilities. The golf course will remain open.

---
RCI is an exchange company. It is not the owner or manager of any resorts. The sales people probably touted the resort as being able to trade through RCI. (It's a common misconception and many timeshare owners think they "own RCI".) Your mother's ownership may have been converted to "RCI points", where she may elect points (instead of using the actual week at Inverness), and use those points to reserve other RCI resorts.
This may be the resort that’s being converted to a Margaritaville.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
If so. Wouldn’t that give the week some value?
It might, but I had the impression that the OP’s mother had been notified her ownership had ended with bankruptcy of the original resort. Obviously OP needs to investigate further.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, RCI

100 La Costa Drive
Montgomery, TX 77356
USA

---
Thank you HudsHut for your response! I had reviewed the web site information, and called the listed number. I was able to leave a message asking for a return telephone call, and stated that I was calling on behalf of my mother, Laurie Drews. My mother owns a deeded property at this resort (not converted to points), and I am waiting on the actual paperwork about her ownership that will include her account number, etc. - which is supposed to be coming in the mail. Because I live in Maine and my mother lives in Arkansas, it could be awhile before she gets the documents to me. I want to come across as assertive, not demanding, when I talk with these people, but I want them to know that my mother's ownership needs to end. Can you give me suggestions on how to make my case in an affirmative way without immediately closing off any willingness to work with me? I appreciate any advice, and wish you a Happy New Year!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stopped paying this year (legally).. I had a 20 year RTU; (EOY); not a deeded t/s....I can still timeshare...I just rent owner's units.....No more fees
Most of the time I have been able to rent for less than paying maintenance fees on my ownership. Great way to travel without the commitment of ownership or the burden of paying maintenance fees.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Most of the time I have been able to rent for less than paying maintenance fees on my ownership. Great way to travel without the commitment of ownership or the burden of paying maintenance fees.

I always say, why love one unit or resort system when you can love them all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I suppose I see renting as great one night stands or week stands. I tried commitment and well....errrr...that’s another story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I have my mind made up and I’m not concerned about a credit score drop but someone younger may feel differently.
Haven't heard from you in a while. Would you kindly PM me or let us know if your credit got affected??

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@haasle Good afternoon, to help other tuggers in similar situations, would you kindly let me know if your family member decided to stop paying and, if so, whether her credit got affected? You may DM or PM me.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! You have provided more help than I could ever had imagined. My sister and I are on vacation together now in FL. I have shared a great deal of information with her, including the advice not to make any contact with the two resorts or their collection companies. All of the advice given on this topic will allow other Tuggers to make wise decisions regarding their timeshares.
@hajjah Good afternoon, to help other tuggers in similar situations, would you kindly let me know if your family member decided to stop paying and, if so, whether her credit got affected? You may DM or PM me.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, RCI
I posted on this site earlier about my mother's ownership of property at Inverness at Del Lago, an RCI Associated property. She is 86, and can not travel based on her physical disabilities. She has been scammed at least three times by companies promising that they can "get her out of her timeshare". She has paid at least three companies, none of which have done anything other than take her money (over $6,000 that I'm aware of). My mother finally sent me her paperwork, and she has signed a Special Warranty Deed, dated 2/7/2012 with Grantor: Choice Properties, Inc (a TX corporation), and paid the entire purchase cost at one time (no idea of what she paid), so there was never any bank loan or other entity involved with her purchase. Since 2012 she has regularly paid the maintenance fee. The property is described at 1/51 percentage interest as a tenant-in-common with other holders in a specific condominium described as 1 Red Floating Week, located at Inverness at Del Lago, in Montgomery County TX. My original question on the forum was what would happen if she simply stopped paying the maintenance fee. She visited the property in TX one time, probably in 2013, and has never been back. This forum provided a ton of great information, and internet links that I've followed up on. At https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/texas-hoa-coa-foreclosures.html. This web site seems most appropriate to find out about the law in TX, and says "if you live in a house, condominium, or townhome that's part of a common interest community in Texas, you're most likely responsible for paying dues and assessments to the homeowners’ association (HOA) or condominium association (COA). If you don’t pay, in most cases the HOA or COA can get a lien on your property that could lead to a foreclosure. " I also did a record search in the Montgomery County Courts, and found my mother's Special Warranty Deed. There were also several others showing various sales made in 2018. Since Choice Properties, Inc was the grantor on my mother's deed, I tried to locate them. I found a website at https://choiceresales.com/inverness-at-del-lago listing opportunities for great savings by purchasing foreclosed timeshare properties. Apparently Choice Properties, Inc. is in business to sell foreclosed timeshares at a number of resorts. I visited the Inverness at Del Lago web pages, and called the listed office manager number, leaving messages, to no avail. I attempted to email each of the three listed HOA board members at Inverness, and none of the email addresses were valid. I sent an email to Choice Properties expressing interest in a property purchase at Inverness, with no response. At this point I feel there are nothing but dead ends. I'm advising my mother to stop paying the maintenance fee, and to refer any telephone calls, emails or letters regarding Inverness at Del Lago to me. If she has a hit on her credit rating, so be it.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
If she has a hit on her credit rating, so be it.

At her age, then I would not worry about a credit hit either. The one thing I would look into is if the resort might put some sort of a lien on her estate. I'm not saying it will happen, just check into it.

haasle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard from you in a while. Would you kindly PM me or let us know if your credit got affected??
So far it's just a waiting game. I have not contacted them or they me. Just checked my fico score and it has not been affected .

DesireMore

Reaction score
My mom had a fixed week someone gave her in the late 90's that we used while I was a kid. Went to some nice places through Interval International. About six years ago, my mom wanted to get rid of it since we don't use it anymore. She quit paying the maintenance fees in 2014. Over the following five years, she received many bills and notices about past due maintenance fees. Nothing ever showed up on her credit report. In early 2019, she finally got an offer from the resort to forgive all past due fees if she would notarize and deed the timeshare back to them. She did just that and is now free of her timeshare, and it never hit her credit. This was an older property that is now managed/owned by Exploria Resorts if this helps anyone reading this.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! You have provided more help than I could ever had imagined. My sister and I are on vacation together now in FL. I have shared a great deal of information with her, including the advice not to make any contact with the two resorts or their collection companies. All of the advice given on this topic will allow other Tuggers to make wise decisions regarding their timeshares.
@hajjah Good morning @hajjah , if your sister defaulted on her TSs, would you kindly PM me as to whether her credit got affected? It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
i am trying to get an answer from someone who has actually stopped paying maintenance fees , so unless you are the one , please keep speculation to yourself .secondly i am referring specifically about HOA fees , NOT mortgage payments that i completely understand the consequences . help will be appreciate it
thanks

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the timeshare is paid for walk. Throw out threatening emails. I have walked from 2 timeshares but they were paid for fully.
Mind sharing which resorts they were? I’ve been tracking I’m TUG. So far, out of 20 tuggers reporting MF defaults, 3 got their credit affected.