• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hardwood replacement opinions?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have pets? What sort of scratches?

Yes, but what scratched it was pulling out the chairs, sliding the laundry basket, little things like that. The local lumber liquidators said they have improved the hardness of the finish and the locking system since I installed it. The new ones are probably better.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I spent 25 years in the flooring business and for the most part our clientele base consisted of higher end homes which allowed us to install many different products

I also was a rep for a short time for Karndean. They are a higher end LVT company out of the UK as well as distribution here in the US
I have not followed them but at the time they had a very nice product and were at the cutting edge of technology so maybe look at their website. If for nothing else then for information

Also
Many believe solid wood is best.
No so in many cases.
a high quality engineered wood is better as the product is built in layers at which each layer has the grain going the opposite direction which causes the product to shrink / expand less as each layer is fighting with the next on a direction ( if that makes sense? ) like a weave basket

Laminate. Junk. Period!!

We all grew up with real wood. Real chrome on our cars etc and what we forget is that we liked the look. Not necessarily the material
Now we have wood look vinyl and plastic chrome, engineered leather, all of which may be better but we are stuck on
“ real “

Me?
I would look at a upper end LVT. Might have to skip lumbar liquidators and the depots though. Many sell lower grade products that carry a name brand. Much like the outlet malls
If selling or flipping your home then they’re fine and you may still find a decent product at one of those places but my experience was they never had the exact same product as say the Carpet One type places

Another plus for LVT is if it’s not a tongue and groove type product then any damaged planks are easily replaced

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We are using a porcelain wood-look tile for our on-going kitchen project.
It looks really good.

When we had water damage in our "West Wing," the insurance proceeds
were enuff to replace the hall carpet with travertine tile, and throw in a
custom bathroom vanity. :)

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I spent 25 years in the flooring business and for the most part our clientele base consisted of higher end homes which allowed us to install many different products

I also was a rep for a short time for Karndean. They are a higher end LVT company out of the UK as well as distribution here in the US
I have not followed them but at the time they had a very nice product and were at the cutting edge of technology so maybe look at their website. If for nothing else then for information

Also
Many believe solid wood is best.
No so in many cases.
a high quality engineered wood is better as the product is built in layers at which each layer has the grain going the opposite direction which causes the product to shrink / expand less as each layer is fighting with the next on a direction ( if that makes sense? ) like a weave basket

Laminate. Junk. Period!!

We all grew up with real wood. Real chrome on our cars etc and what we forget is that we liked the look. Not necessarily the material
Now we have wood look vinyl and plastic chrome, engineered leather, all of which may be better but we are stuck on
“ real “

Me?
I would look at a upper end LVT. Might have to skip lumbar liquidators and the depots though. Many sell lower grade products that carry a name brand. Much like the outlet malls
If selling or flipping your home then they’re fine and you may still find a decent product at one of those places but my experience was they never had the exact same product as say the Carpet One type places

Another plus for LVT is if it’s not a tongue and groove type product then any damaged planks are easily replaced
So if one is buying a new home and included in the price is your choice of Shaw LVT (manufacturer 25 yr warranty) or Shaw engineered wood (manufacturer 50 yr warranty) what would you pick?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if one is buying a new home and included in the price is your choice of Shaw LVT (manufacturer 25 yr warranty) or Shaw engineered wood (manufacturer 50 yr warranty) what would you pick?

I'd go with the Vinyl. You'll never need to sand it!

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's nice looking. How long has it been down and how is it holding up?
It was installed July 8 - last month. It is great! We moved all our furniture back in the room and I love it. The installer also told me I didn't have to get any chemicals or special floor cleaners. I just have to use a damp mop and it wipes clean very easy. Sorry that my photo is a duplicate. I meant to use two different ones. Maybe I will edit it if I can figure it out.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

I like them both but in one house we had a smooth maple wood floor. Scratches showed like crazy. Hated that floor but again. Scratches are part of the character
We have had several handscraped engineered wood floors in the past
You could scratch them. Hit them with a hammer and never know due to the design of the product. Looks pre beaten

We have also put in nice LVT products with the same satisfaction

As mentioned. We were in the business so my cost was about half of what the general public would pay and labor was obviously free

All that said.
The LVT products have come a long ways in just the past 3 years
They will maybe feel softer and depending on the type you get and required installation they usually have a quieter walk to them and most LVT’s are easier to do plank replacements

Here is a handscraped floor and LVT
5654457E-FEC5-40AD-AA02-F02459F35909.jpeg

642EC4BC-A71B-4798-93F0-DA5CF4D0006C.jpeg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes, but what scratched it was pulling out the chairs, sliding the laundry basket, little things like that. The local lumber liquidators said they have improved the hardness of the finish and the locking system since I installed it. The new ones are probably better.

Hence why on our hardwood floors all furniture and misc. has felt padding on it. I keep a supply of all kinds of sizes and shapes. Works great.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Ten years ago we went with cork flooring in the kitchen. It's still holding up okay... a few minor scratches and even a small gash in one corner, but the pattern on the cork flooring we chose hides flaws well.

I like it because it 'gives' when compressed. Easy on my feet when working in the kitchen... easy on my dishes and glasses when something is dropped. I don't know that I'd want it in another room, but I love it in my kitchen.

The downside (although others consider it a plus), because of the pattern, dirt and stains are hard to see. I don't mop as often as I should apparently... and sometimes I'm truly disturbed by how dirty the water gets.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We found some LVP that we like this evening. COREtec Plus XL, which comes in 9"x72" planks. We're looking at a medium oak pattern with a slight greyish tint to it. This stuff is rigid, and has a cork backing to help with noise and comfort.

Anyone put down COREtec?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have been going back and forth with engineered hardwood or lvp. I decided when I build my new home it will be engineered hardwood. My reasoning is I have lived with hardwood and am concerned lvp is newer and long term effects of having it in your home is fully not known.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
The only home we have ever owned that was built on a slab had hardwood floors. They made a snapping noise when walked on in a couple of areas. I don’t recall what we did about it, if anything. I am not a fan of homes built on a slab for numerous reasons, that being one.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We found some LVP that we like this evening. COREtec Plus XL, which comes in 9"x72" planks. We're looking at a medium oak pattern with a slight greyish tint to it. This stuff is rigid, and has a cork backing to help with noise and comfort.

Anyone put down COREtec?
Our installer just finished yesterday our mini family room in the basement with COREtec 5x48” planks. Time for me to finish my coffee and start moving in. We selected Norwegian Maple pattern to keep it somehow similar to engineered wood installed in living room and kitchen last year, Shaw Hickory Prairie Dust.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we just had LVP (luxury vinyl plank) installed last month and we love it. Shaw Flooring has the best quality and you can get it through Costco. Costco will hook you up with a quality local flooring company and then will reimburse you 10% in the form of a Costco gift card. We got the teak color and it looks just like wood planks.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100014399.html

Shaw Carpet, Hardwood & Laminate Flooring
Item 100014399_SKU

Earn a 15% Costco Cash Card*

Valid 8/7/19 through 9/1/19.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Anyone put down COREtec?
My decorator uses COREtec all the time and she is picky, so it must be good. My mom did her entire small house in it. She is happy with it, although she is upset with some scratches and one spot where my brother dropped a screwdriver and it took out a little chunk. As a visitor, I haven't noticed anything. It is softer underfoot than tile. We did LVP in our rental and the only thing that I don't like about LVP is how the pattern looks when it is laid. I was pretty bummed about our rental once I saw it installed. It was just busier than I expected. Make sure that you find some photos of what it looks like in a room to see if there is a lot of color variation.

We put in wood look tile in 2013 and it may be my favorite floor ever - it really fools the eye and it looks the same as the day we had it installed. We couldn't do LVP at the time because we had a yellow Lab named Buddy who was particularly hard on everything. This floor was even Buddy-proof and that is saying a lot. The tile is called Barrique, and the color is Brun. In terms of style, it's a little bit darker than what is popular now (at least with my decorator - she is using a lot of light woods) but it is a great neutral that doesn't show anything. Here's a link: https://www.houzz.com/product/133326400-8x40-barrique-brun-wood-look-traditional-wall-and-floor-tile

Good luck with your decision. I still have ugly carpet upstairs because I can't decide what to do. This has been going on for six months :D

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read numerous reviews on the COREtec product. Mostly positive, but many mentioning footprints showing and/or hazy looking. Of course, most of the reviews fail to mention the specific product and color. We took home a big sample and I don't see how footprints could ever be visible. I also tried to scratch it with a key and it seemed fine.

Need to look at some other products, but the COREtec is definitely in the running.

ETA:. We have a very generous allowance for hardwood replacement. So I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not sure any LVP is going to come close to using the full allowance.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, the second part of this:

As I mentioned, we have a nice budget for the hardwood replacement. If we go with any common product other than solid hardwood, we'll likely be leaving insurance money unspent. The question then becomes whether the house is less desirable (valuable) with a lower cost flooring option in place. Insurance will not compensate for decreased value.

Thoughts?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think less-expensive flooring will lower the value of your home, since so many people want the less-destructible these days. But I love real hardwood, and am very picky about floors, so here are my 2 current favorites:

1. For living areas where water damage is unlikely: hickory, either engineered hand-scraped (can get the wider planks) or solid narrower planks which I think can be nailed down (which we did) or floating. Try scratching either with a key, and you probably can't, if the planks are coated with about 6 layers of that coating they use nowadays. Doggie toenails don't scratch this wood, it's the hardest domestic hardwood and IMO one of the most beautiful. I went out with keys and nails and scratched about 100 samples in stores before settling on this for 2 properties, including our own home since we have a dog (solid wood) and a short-term vacation rental (engineered hand-scraped) that always has pets, kids, and heavy use, including a staircase.

2. For kitchens, baths and foyers or entryways: grouted vinyl tile that looks like real tile except it's softer and warmer to stand on, walk on, or to drop things on. Waterproof and ding-resistant so far, we used in our kitchen and I love it. It doesn't need grout but looks better with it IMO.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The only home we have ever owned that was built on a slab had hardwood floors. They made a snapping noise when walked on in a couple of areas. I don’t recall what we did about it, if anything. I am not a fan of homes built on a slab for numerous reasons, that being one.

Our house is on a slab and no snapping noise or movement whatsoever with the wood floors. I love being on a slab and will miss it when we move.

New house will have red oak wood throughout except the 2 bedrooms and bathrooms and laundry area.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
So, the second part of this:

As I mentioned, we have a nice budget for the hardwood replacement. If we go with any common product other than solid hardwood, we'll likely be leaving insurance money unspent. The question then becomes whether the house is less desirable (valuable) with a lower cost flooring option in place. Insurance will not compensate for decreased value.

Thoughts?
Are you considering selling soon? You'd be better off checking with a good realtor for better understanding of local trends. These engineered substitutes are popular because they offer a similar look at a more affordable price. Unless you have a reason to choose something more waterproof, I'd stick with natural hardwood. Nothing compares.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our house is on a slab and no snapping noise or movement whatsoever with the wood floors. I love being on a slab and will miss it when we move.

New house will have red oak wood throughout except the 2 bedrooms and bathrooms and laundry area.

Slabs are too inflexible for future remodels or upgrades.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Slabs are too inflexible for future remodels or upgrades.

True in terms of plumbing and electrical. That is a downside. But other than that- we just got done with a 5 year remodel, including the kitchen and bathroom downstairs- on the slab. Where there's a will, there's a way. And then there is always the attic if you have one. And the garage..

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
True in terms of plumbing and electrical. That is a downside. But other than that- we just got done with a 5 year remodel, including the kitchen and bathroom downstairs- on the slab. Where there's a will, there's a way. And then there is always the attic if you have one. And the garage..

Right! Plumbing and electrical. Things we often move about or need more of. My biggest peeve with contractors and electricians is that they don’t seem to think through how a person will really use electrical outlets. Code requires them every so many feet in certain rooms. And that they do but not necessarily in the logical place where one needs them. I know you are not having a formal dining room but we always add an outlet centered and higher up on the wall behind our dining room hunt board so that the pair of lamps can be plugged in where cords won’t show, instead of being stretched across the wall to the standard placement where they stick out like sore thumbs. We sometimes have to add floor outlets as well.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

Anyone put down COREtec?

Not in our personal home. But did in our business and although I don’t know how it held up it definitely checked all the boxes as a nice product

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I've read numerous reviews on the COREtec product. Mostly positive, but many mentioning footprints showing and/or hazy looking. Of course, most of the reviews fail to mention the specific product and color. We took home a big sample and I don't see how footprints could ever be visible. I also tried to scratch it with a key and it seemed fine.

Need to look at some other products, but the COREtec is definitely in the running.

ETA:. We have a very generous allowance for hardwood replacement. So I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not sure any LVP is going to come close to using the full allowance.

Some of the prints and hazing is caused by using the wrong cleaners which leave a residue