• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hardwood replacement opinions?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have around 750-800sf of solid hardwood to replace due to water damage. This includes kitchen/dining area, foyer, half bath and a walkway that is next to the carpeted "island" that is our great room. We are not replacing with solid hardwood for various reasons. But, we'd like to stick with a wood look product, so are considering laminate and LVP and possibly tile. Will go with a higher end product. Looking for feedback from those that have installed similar product. Especially with regard to water resistance, noise, resistance to scratching and durability to normal wear.

Thanks

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have been in the market and the market has moved to luxury vinyl plank for the durability and waterproof qualities you desire. It looks just like wood.

The other option is wood look tile but it's much more expensive.

Last edited:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We put in lvP in our kitchen about five years ago when it was relatively new to market. It looks very nice however it scratchs extremely easily. Also the click lock system was not very sturdy...where we moved a portable dishwasher it pulled apart. I got this from lumber liquidators when looking for new hardwood and they suggested the lvp. I told them my experience and they said it has been greatly improved in the last five years.

I will probably replace with wood look ceramic in the next few years

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yes the new home construction is moving to luxury vinyl because it is less expensive so they have more profit. With that said it is hard to tell it is not wood. Lennar builders is using Shaw products. The manufacturers warranty shows 25 years versus the 50 years they show for wood

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim, I had laminate in a former place some 30odd years ago. It was cold, slippery, and noisy. I sure wouldn't go that way. Perhaps the Luxury Vinyl Plank is the better product. Since it's repairing an insurance loss, will you get some 'help' with the expense? We've had the city flood our basement with sewage twice over our 20 years here. Most recently, last January. New floor coverings, sheetrock, cabinetry, etc. etc. I should add (for Mary Ann) that we removed flagstone and kitchen carpet and replaced it with wood planks alternating, 2"-4" and 6" width.

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have around 750-800sf of solid hardwood to replace due to water damage. This includes kitchen/dining area, foyer, half bath and a walkway that is next to the carpeted "island" that is our great room. We are not replacing with solid hardwood for various reasons. But, we'd like to stick with a wood look product, so are considering laminate and LVP and possibly tile. Will go with a higher end product. Looking for feedback from those that have installed similar product. Especially with regard to water resistance, noise, resistance to scratching and durability to normal wear.

Thanks

Wood is nice to have but it is terrible when it comes to wetness, scratches, wear and tear.

We put vinyl wood looking planks in our place a few years ago and it has been absolutely fabulous in our opinion. We wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

By the way, we dropped an open bottle of wine on the floor; the bottle did not break and we easily wiped up the spilled contents.

This vinyl product is available at both Lowes and Home Depot. Take a few samples home with you and see how it looks in your home.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to know why you don't want solid hard wood floors. That reason could help me understand what to recommend. Also, what are the sub floors over (a basement, concrete slab, crawl space.....)?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to know why you don't want solid hard wood floors. That reason could help me understand what to recommend. Also, what are the sub floors over (a basement, concrete slab, crawl space.....)?

There are a couple reasons:

1) I love hardwood, but wood and water don't mix. Since our flooring is continuous from our entry thru our kitchen, I'm hesitant to go with hardwood, because this restoration process is going to be a royal PITA. Don't want to go through it again.

2) I live in a high desert climate where the humidity is extremely low. Jointed hardwood does not do well in this environment, even if you never directly damage the floors, due to expansion and contraction. To the extent that many builders here are simply moving away from solid hardwoods.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim, I had laminate in a former place some 30odd years ago. It was cold, slippery, and noisy. I sure wouldn't go that way. Perhaps the Luxury Vinyl Plank is the better product. Since it's repairing an insurance loss, will you get some 'help' with the expense? We've had the city flood our basement with sewage twice over our 20 years here. Most recently, last January. New floor coverings, sheetrock, cabinetry, etc. etc. I should add (for Mary Ann) that we removed flagstone and kitchen carpet and replaced it with wood planks alternating, 2"-4" and 6" width.

Jim
Hi Jim. Yes, this is an insurance claim. Not much experience in that domain, fortunately. We sustained floor damage, cabinet box damage and sheetrock damage. Sub floor is fine after drying. We have around 150sf of hardwood cut out with exposed sub floor right now. Refrigerator is effectively in our living room. Two cabinets worth of kitchen goods are in our office. Fun times!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did look at an lvp product that is actually finished in a real wood veneer. One sample I particularly liked was in walnut, and it was beautiful. But, this is a relatively new product with not much feedback. I'd be very inclined to use that product if there was more info available.

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we just had LVP (luxury vinyl plank) installed last month and we love it. Shaw Flooring has the best quality and you can get it through Costco. Costco will hook you up with a quality local flooring company and then will reimburse you 10% in the form of a Costco gift card. We got the teak color and it looks just like wood planks.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Same room before:
100_1018.JPG

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
If you've got a Floor and Decor nearby, go spend some time there.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We did look at an lvp product that is actually finished in a real wood veneer. One sample I particularly liked was in walnut, and it was beautiful. But, this is a relatively new product with not much feedback. I'd be very inclined to use that product if there was more info available.

IMO I would avoid the real wood veneer. We installed wood laminate from Costco in a kitchen in 2012 and after 7 years it is buckled from water damage and needs replacement.

We have been told that the LVP has really improved over the past 5 years. That is all they are putting in high end homes in Tahoe these days because it is water and ski boot proof and looks like real wood.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO I would avoid the real wood veneer. We installed wood laminate from Costco in a kitchen in 2012 and after 7 years it is buckled from water damage and needs replacement.

We have been told that the LVP has really improved over the past 5 years. That is all they are putting in cabins in Tahoe these days because it is water and ski boot proof but still looks like wood.

Of course, that's the down side of any product that has real wood. But, as compared to hardwood, planks with a wood veneer can be replaced relatively easily if damaged. The upside is that it's real wood and there is no pattern repetition. Every plank is unique.

We shopped this past weekend, and we meet with a design center consultant in a couple of days.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Ceramic tile can be noisy, as in room noise because it is such a hard surface. I did bamboo in my last house and loved it! The price of laminate with the feel of a hardwood. In this house, I'm planning LVP in the main areas and cork in a den/bedroom.
If water is a factor, how can you go wrong with vinyl? That's why I'm selecting LVP for my open floorplan which includes the kitchen.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
We put in lvP in our kitchen about five years ago when it was relatively new to market. It looks very nice however it scratchs extremely easily. Also the click lock system was not very sturdy...where we moved a portable dishwasher it pulled apart. I got this from lumber liquidators when looking for new hardwood and they suggested the lvp.
Do you have pets? What sort of scratches?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We used Kempas engineered planks. It is made of 100% Kempas plys and has an aluminum oxide finish that makes it really durable. Its been on our floor now for about 11 years and still looks great even with dogs and grandkids. Engineered hard wood is better than solid hardwood regarding moisture because it has a plywood type base. Our floor planks are a bit over 3/4 inch thick , 6 inches wide and 48 inches long.

Bill

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
When we bought our lake-&-first-retirement-home 22 years ago, we loaded up our trailer with the old-style, glue-together laminate from a salvage outlet and did 1500 sq. ft. That was an ordeal.

But, it is still down, still doing the job.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I researched Vinyl Planking early this year and had Flooret installed. it is current top-of-the-line planking, but you won't see it in stores. Their business model is direct to user sales. (You get it delivered to the street where you live. Which means - you have to schlep in 50 pound flats from the street to inside the house.)

The commercial installers were so impressed with the product, which they'd never seen before, they ask me if they could keep scraps for demos for other sale prospects. . .

(The seal (protective layer) is twice as thick as anything else on the market. Padding is built in on the bottom. I paid $3.95 sq ft for it. By the way the planks are 9 inches wide, providing a somewhat different look.)