• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescind with Welk? **Wanting to use day pass**

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
hey there! So I signed up on Tuesday 7/9/19 with Welk resort. I live super close to the San Diego resort and want to use the day pass often. Another selling point was being able to use my 120k points at Disney resort, saving a lot of money versus spending thousands booking for a week with Disney directly. I spent $14k for 120k points every other year, owing $1.1k in VOC every other year. I paid the $14k outright with a check that they have not yet cashed. I am a single mom, 31 years old with a 12 year old daughter and I really just want to get into traveling and showing her the world, we are pretty active and have a blast together. I have a lot of guilt for not doing too much traveling thus far, as all the other families in her school get to do. I didn’t know I could purchase points indirectly, which seems like it’s basically pre-owned timeshare? Do I still get benefits as I would still be an owner, right? We’d love to use Welk San Diego facilities. I like Welk a lot. I feel like I don’t know the right questions to ask, I’m going to research like heck on this website. Thanks so much in advance

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a Welk owner, but in other systems, if they allow day use for any owners, resale owners get it too. You can buy Welk on the resale market for pennies on the retail dollar. I think you should rescind while you can and look into resale. The 'deal' you got will always be available.

Welcome to Tug!

Jim

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• E37788C6-DBF9-4032-B02F-DF824F5A8FEF.png
    E37788C6-DBF9-4032-B02F-DF824F5A8FEF.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 73

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh wow thank you!!! I wasn’t seeing that on redweek. I must be looking under a different tab. What I see are deeds for $3k and up. I guess what I don’t understand is what is the difference? Is it more advantageous to just purchase points? Thanks so much
That's exactly why we advise people to rescind, then study and learn without the sales pressure to buy, buy, buy.
There are knowledgeable TUGgers who can and will answer your questions and make sure you get what works for your family at an affordable price.
First things first. Tomorrow is Sunday, so get your rescission letter written so it can go in the mail first thing Monday. Follow the rescission instructions in the contract exactly, it doesn't have to be legalese or notarized. You will have ALL your money back within 45 days. Probably much sooner.

Welcome to TUG

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I fully agree that you should RESCIND. Do your homework, take your time, and maybe even rent a week at the location you want to go to prior to making a purchase decision.

You can always purchase at anytime; you only have so many days in which you are legally entitled to rescind. Take advantage of that!

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh wow thank you!!! I wasn’t seeing that on redweek. I must be looking under a different tab. What I see are deeds for $3k and up. I guess what I don’t understand is what is the difference? Is it more advantageous to just purchase points? Thanks so much

Deeds means you have that fixed/floating week at the SD Welks resort with option to deposit said weeks for points to use at other Welks resorts or Disney resorts. Welks salespeople were blowing smoke that you can trade for a Disney week. If you deposit a Welk week, you might get five Disney weekdays or a weekend and two weekdays.

I’m not sure if using the Welks resort facilities is that great. Do you really want to be hounded to spend $14k again every time you swim or work out? Those TS salesmen and saleswomen are sharks. Most of us tuggers are on resorts’ “Do not gift” lists, meaning the resorts know we are informed TS owners and don’t even bother to sell us their hugely overpriced TS.

For example, we just found out that a TS company foreclosed on the house of a woman who bought eight (8) timeshares.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...wyndham-and-hilton.292420/page-3#post-2307868

If you want to travel with your daughter, TUG Last Minute Rental offers some great deals (max $800/week or $115/night). https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/timeshare-rentals-offered.45/

TS are good for people who have flexible vacation schedules. If you book your week 10 months in advance, you have to stick to it. Canceling means you’re paying for but not using that week. If you have an unpredictable work schedule with events frequently cancelled, TS not right for you.

There’s a new user questionnaire that might better guide us in advising you on TS. Just copy, paste the questions, and put your answers in a new thread.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you’re wondering, I have four (4) TS, all bought for $1. I’ve seen learned that I am on the “very low” end in terms of the number of TS owned on TUG.

Edited: one of my TS purchases falling through, so now I “only” have three (3).

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have 4 also

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Rescind and start educating yourself. GPP also has day pass and is near SeaWorld.

definitely learn about Welk and other systems. Wyndham/Worldmark has a large presence WestCoast. HGVC in the Carlsbad area as well. Until you feel comfortable, rent.
I am an hr away from SD and now own in the desert primarily. We sold our HGVC and decided trading into SD works better for us.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind right away while you still can and then do all of your research. How often will you really use the day use? I had a couple timeshares in Carlsbad with day use and thought I'd use it a lot, but rarely used. I probably used my day use twice in a 4 year period.

When really looking at the money over time, you may find that it's better to buy a day pass (if they have those) or book an overnight stay once in a while if you really think you'd want to use the Welk facilities. If after you do that for a couple years you still want to own, you can always buy again then. Resale timeshares are notorious for going down in value, so it may even be cheaper at that time.

You can easily rent timeshares if you want to stay in one to visit Disney. Personally, I like a hotel since I only use the room for showers and sleeping. I used to like being able to fix my own meals in the room, but grew tired of cooking and doing dishes and taking out the trash while on vacation. I get to do that stuff every day at home.

You are right to plan some vacations with your daughter while she is still at an age that she is able to hang out with you. If you get your $14K back, you can book some vacations right away. Plan something for this year and next year. You don't need a timeshare to do any of that. Schedule a Disney vacation without a timeshare. It isn't hard to do and there's lots of forums and blogs about how to do it on a small budget.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats, you just saved 14k!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If trading into Disney resorts is what you want, there are many ways of doing it. But I get the day pass thing. At that price, you could join a country club.:eek::eek:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I believe Disneyland only has one TS location while all others are near DisneyWorld. Unless you are a diehard Disney fan, staying off property is easy and not as costly as one expects. I have a # of friends who just rent since the area is over built.

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's exactly why we advise people to rescind, then study and learn without the sales pressure to buy, buy, buy.
There are knowledgeable TUGgers who can and will answer your questions and make sure you get what works for your family at an affordable price.
First things first. Tomorrow is Sunday, so get your rescission letter written so it can go in the mail first thing Monday. Follow the rescission instructions in the contract exactly, it doesn't have to be legalese or notarized. You will have ALL your money back within 45 days. Probably much sooner.

Welcome to TUG

Jim

I have it written up and ready to go! I will be faxing and mailing it certified mail. Thank you so much for your help. They still haven’t cashed my check. Funny! One question- shall I also mail back the 2 airline tickets they gifted me? I do see it in the contract. I’m wondering if I should mail it back now, or wait to see if they ask for it. I don’t want to void any cancellation policy by not sending the tickets back

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe Disneyland only has one TS location while all others are near DisneyWorld. Unless you are a diehard Disney fan, staying off property is easy and not as costly as one expects. I have a # of friends who just rent since the area is over built.

I’m super diehard. It’s my dream to stay at a resort, even just once. And I will feel complete lol!

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
If trading into Disney resorts is what you want, there are many ways of doing it. But I get the day pass thing. At that price, you could join a country club.:eek::eek:

Very true, that is a good point. I should look into country clubs in the area. But, I REALLY love the Welk San Diego resort and I’ve been going to their open events for 2 years now. They have a lot of festivals and cool stuff for the kids, they always do a bang up job. I prefer to go there, plus they have water slides. They don’t offer day passes to the public for purchase unfortunately.

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you’re wondering, I have four (4) TS, all bought for $1. I’ve seen learned that I am on the “very low” end in terms of the number of TS owned on TUG.

Edited: one of my TS purchases falling through, so now I “only” have three (3).

I wish I could find a welk timeshare for $1. You are super smart! I’m hoping to learn a lot on here from people like you. Show me the system

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I’m super diehard. It’s my dream to stay at a resort, even just once. And I will feel complete lol!
I am dreading the day when my crew of 5 beg us to go to DisneyWorld. Hopefully enticing them to Hawaii every 2yrs will be enough.

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deeds means you have that fixed/floating week at the SD Welks resort with option to deposit said weeks for points to use at other Welks resorts or Disney resorts. Welks salespeople were blowing smoke that you can trade for a Disney week. If you deposit a Welk week, you might get five Disney weekdays or a weekend and two weekdays.

I’m not sure if using the Welks resort facilities is that great. Do you really want to be hounded to spend $14k again every time you swim or work out? Those TS salesmen and saleswomen are sharks. Most of us tuggers are on resorts’ “Do not gift” lists, meaning the resorts know we are informed TS owners and don’t even bother to sell us their hugely overpriced TS.

For example, we just found out that a TS company foreclosed on the house of a woman who bought eight (8) timeshares.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...wyndham-and-hilton.292420/page-3#post-2307868

If you want to travel with your daughter, TUG Last Minute Rental offers some great deals (max $800/week or $115/night). https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/timeshare-rentals-offered.45/

TS are good for people who have flexible vacation schedules. If you book your week 10 months in advance, you have to stick to it. Canceling means you’re paying for but not using that week. If you have an unpredictable work schedule with events frequently cancelled, TS not right for you.

There’s a new user questionnaire that might better guide us in advising you on TS. Just copy, paste the questions, and put your answers in a new thread.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Thank you sooo much for all your wonderful info. I am fortunate to have flexibility with my job to vacation plan! I will definitely check out those last minute rental offers. I appreciate the info! I donated to become a member of Tug as well, but I believe I did the registration wrong, is tug2.net the separate site for members only?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have it written up and ready to go! I will be faxing and mailing it certified mail. Thank you so much for your help. They still haven’t cashed my check. Funny! One question- shall I also mail back the 2 airline tickets they gifted me? I do see it in the contract. I’m wondering if I should mail it back now, or wait to see if they ask for it. I don’t want to void any cancellation policy by not sending the tickets back
How about adding the line, "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover, by request ." That oughtta make it clear that you will return them if they ask.

Jim

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am a die-hard Disney fan, so much so that we got annual passes for Disney World every year until 2016, starting in 1998. So we had AP's for 18 years in a row, and then Rick said I needed to stop doing that. We were taking three multiple-week trips every year, since the kids started leaving home. It was my medication for empty-nest syndrome.

We got AP's for 2018 and then didn't renew in 2019, but 2020, we will get them again. Now our kids and grandkids go with us, and we all get separate units. For example, I have four units for January's trip, all at Disney's Saratoga Springs. We will have to pay the $190 per unit fee to stay there (to Disney). But Disney will pick some of the kids up from the airport via Magical Express, and we will only get a couple of cars for errands; otherwise, we will use the bus transportation to/from the parks.

I used several different systems to get those weeks, including Shell points, RCI points and RCI weeks.

Shell points, you can get absolutely free. Shell has a timeshare near Disneyland, and it's super cheap to stay there. In October, it was $40 per night for us to stay at Peacock Suites. We like it a lot, but with our grandkids, we would rather stay at Dolphin's Cove because it's cheerful and has a great pool. You can get Dolphin's Cove with WorldMark points.

Shell provides an RCI membership in the annual maintenance fees, and I set ongoing searches, which matched for a couple of units last week. It was only 2,500 Shell points + $199 exchange fee to book Disney through RCI/Shell. Shell points are about .26 per point in maintenance fees. So $625 + $199, $824 and we received a 1 bedroom with full kitchen at Saratoga Springs. Add in the $190 fee, and it's 1,014 for a full week at Disney! I hope they don't increase the fees to get those Disney units.

WorldMark is also great, as others said. It's pretty inexpensive to get an exchange into Disney World with WorldMark. I think it's 9,000 points for a one bedroom. Points are about .076 each, so less than $700 in fees + the exchange fee of maybe $239 for weeks + $190 to Disney. WorldMark has resorts in wine country, San Diego, Anaheim, etc. A 2 bedroom for 7 nights at Dolphin's Cove is about $760 (10,000 WorldMark points X .076). No other fees.

Hilton is another one I would consider over Welk, both for money savings with resale, and their high-quality and plentiful resorts. I don't own Hilton. I cannot buy everything.

Welk is pretty limited. They are supposedly building a new resort in Colorado and another on Kauai. I will believe it when I see it. Promises, promises.

You have so many options after the rescission is final. I want to be you! Remember that timeshares are nearly impossible to give away or sell, especially if you take something like Shell, which is free. I own a lot of points. :)

ChrissyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a die-hard Disney fan, so much so that we got annual passes for Disney World every year until 2016, starting in 1998. So we had AP's for 18 years in a row, and then Rick said I needed to stop doing that. We were taking three multiple-week trips every year, since the kids started leaving home. It was my medication for empty-nest syndrome.

We got AP's for 2018 and then didn't renew in 2019, but 2020, we will get them again. Now our kids and grandkids go with us, and we all get separate units. For example, I have four units for January's trip, all at Disney's Saratoga Springs. We will have to pay the $190 per unit fee to stay there (to Disney). But Disney will pick some of the kids up from the airport via Magical Express, and we will only get a couple of cars for errands; otherwise, we will use the bus transportation to/from the parks.

I used several different systems to get those weeks, including Shell points, RCI points and RCI weeks.

Shell points, you can get absolutely free. Shell has a timeshare near Disneyland, and it's super cheap to stay there. In October, it was $40 per night for us to stay at Peacock Suites. We like it a lot, but with our grandkids, we would rather stay at Dolphin's Cove because it's cheerful and has a great pool. You can get Dolphin's Cove with WorldMark points.

Shell provides an RCI membership in the annual maintenance fees, and I set ongoing searches, which matched for a couple of units last week. It was only 2,500 Shell points + $199 exchange fee to book Disney through RCI/Shell. Shell points are about .26 per point in maintenance fees. So $625 + $199, $824 and we received a 1 bedroom with full kitchen at Saratoga Springs. Add in the $190 fee, and it's 1,014 for a full week at Disney! I hope they don't increase the fees to get those Disney units.

WorldMark is also great, as others said. It's pretty inexpensive to get an exchange into Disney World with WorldMark. I think it's 9,000 points for a one bedroom. Points are about .076 each, so less than $700 in fees + the exchange fee of maybe $239 for weeks + $190 to Disney. WorldMark has resorts in wine country, San Diego, Anaheim, etc. A 2 bedroom for 7 nights at Dolphin's Cove is about $760 (10,000 WorldMark points X .076). No other fees.

Hilton is another one I would consider over Welk, both for money savings with resale, and their high-quality and plentiful resorts. I don't own Hilton. I cannot buy everything.

Welk is pretty limited. They are supposedly building a new resort in Colorado and another on Kauai. I will believe it when I see it. Promises, promises.

You have so many options after the rescission is final. I want to be you! Remember that timeshares are nearly impossible to give away or sell, especially if you take something like Shell, which is free. I own a lot of points. :)

Wow! No, I want to be YOU! So many points, and so much experience! I can’t wait to get there- when all of this won’t feel confusing and overwhelming to me! I faxed and mailed (certified) my letter rescinding the contract today :) you’d be proud!! Now, talking to calresorts about buying resale. Thanks you all SO MUCH! I’m going to look into Shell too! I’m saving all these posts with useful advice for me to continually refer back to :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats on rescinding. You are very wise to find TUG.