• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buyer’s Remorse - Vidanta

Brandy2029

Reaction score
I wish I would’ve found this site sooner...great information! So I just got back from my GL vacation and decided to go to the sales presentation to hear what is developing. I already own a 4 br GL Residence in PR and was not interested in anything else, but the sales pitch was all about getting back your investment in a few years after the Parks open up - like investing in a condo in DisneyWorld before it was developed. So instead of upgrading, I bought additional inventory inside the Park. Now I’m wondering why I did this. I already had great benefits. I am still within my 5 days (if Sunday’s don’t count). How do I go about rescinding the deal? I have one day to do this. Any advice, please. Thank you!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. Actually, Sundays DO count. But write a 'I wish to cancel this purchase' letter to their business office. Send it USPS Certified unless the instructions that are in the contract (they are required to be there) say differently. Lately we've even heard that I hey accept email as a valid communication to rescind. I guess even Mexicans know that there their mail service is the world's worst.

You should probably cc PROFECO (Mexican Consumer Protection) to let them open a file.

We wish we'd met earlier too, but this should work out OK too.

Jim

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Read your contract and follow the specific instructions. It may include email. Sunday is not considered a business day, but make sure it is stated in your contract.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, Post Offices now have self service Kiosks in many locations which are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Go to: www.USPS.gov to find such a location near to you and see if you can get it out today. Once on the website, click on "Location Types" and arrow down to "Self Service Kiosks", then put in your zip code and hit enter.

You will have to do the transaction on your own today (since there is no clerk assistance on Sundays/Holidays). With that said, I would be tempted to repeat the entire transaction again tomorrow (this time with USPS clerk assistance) just to cover your bases.

With the follow up transaction I would include a letter in the envelope that says "This is to confirm that I mailed a letter to you postmarked Sunday June 2nd stating that I wish to cancel my transaction".

Now, I know this is likely overdoing it, however it is cheap money to spend in light of the fact that you will be saving yourself thousands of dollars over time.

Just my thought process. Handle how you see fit and best of luck!

Last edited:

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
the sales pitch was all about getting back your investment in a few years after the Parks open up - like investing in a condo in DisneyWorld before it was developed.

Yup. That's the sales pitch I got from a 24 year old salesman named Luciano. He said I could easily rent the place for $3000 per day and it would pay for itself. in no time at all. Blah, blah, blah......

Brandy2029

Reaction score
I’m on the road all day today, but I am going to email tonight and send the certified letter tomorrow. I hope this works! Thank you for all the advice. I will let you know how it goes.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Yup. That's the sales pitch ...... it would pay for itself. in no time at all. Blah, blah, blah......

Great Resorts & great"hotel side " staff / Vida Sales has always had a hard sell
reputation & that is where (IMO) Vidanta gets their money to keep building ...

It is what it is -

Brandy2029

Reaction score
So yesterday, I mailed my written notice and sent it to Mexico. Even though they said to send it through “certified mail,” the USPS only sends certified to the US, so I sent it “registered mail.” But I’m hoping that’s not going to be their “deal-breaker.” In hindsight, I wish I would’ve had the letter notarized before I sent it. I just don’t want there to be a reason that it doesn’t cancel. Has anyone been through this before? I want to know how long it will take before I hear back from them.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to know how long it will take before I hear back from them.

You might not hear back from them. They are under no obligation to update you. They're only required to process your rescission request. Sometimes the companies will let you know, sometimes they don't. Your best bet is to keep an eye on your credit card transactions (assuming you paid with your CC) to see if/when the charges are reversed.

Brandy2029

Reaction score
You might not hear back from them. They are under no obligation to update you. They're only required to process your rescission request. Sometimes the companies will let you know, sometimes they don't. Your best bet is to keep an eye on your credit card transactions (assuming you paid with your CC) to see if/when the charges are reversed.
Actually, I never put anything on my credit card, but applied for credit right there on the spot for the down payment. Now I don’t know if I’ve taken out this loan and need to repay it or not. All I know is that I don’t intend to pay the balance.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Actually, I never put anything on my credit card, but applied for credit right there on the spot for the down payment. Now I don’t know if I’ve taken out this loan and need to repay it or not. All I know is that I don’t intend to pay the balance.

You will need to send this credit company verification of your rescission letter. Find that info and get them notified ASAP too.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What a sales pitch! Sounds ridiculous, comparing investing in a condo near Disneyworld before the parks opened up to a timeshare. It's so incredibly egregious. I am hoping you were able to rescind. What nonsense.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When I get that kind of return on investment pitch, I ask them that if the return is that good, why are they selling it to me? Shouldn't the developer be renting it out instead, and making all of the money? Or, there are lots of really wealthy investors who are looking for that kind of return on investment. Why aren't they pitching to those folks, where they could sell 50 to 100 units (or more) in a single sitting? If the numbers they are feeding me are real, they would have no problem selling to savvy investors.

The fact that they are pitching those returns to ordinary schlubs like us makes clear that it's not a smart investment. Because if it were smart, the smart investors would have scooped it up and they wouldn't be selling it to schlubs.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What are some of the typical responses you get to questions like those?
I've only used it once on a timeshare sales pitch - our one and only time at Vidanta.

Re the developer not doing it, the response was that they have built the units and want to recoup their cash now. That's actually a reasonable response.

As to why aren't they selling to big-time investors when they can guarantee that rate of return - I frankly don't recall. Whatever was said was pretty weak. Or it may be that he ignored that part - after talking about why Vidanta isn't renting it themselves, I think he may have just gone.

In any case, I had no interest of bringing it up again since I had no interest in buying anyway.

Brandy2029

Reaction score
I think I am seriously having a panic attack because I did not include all my information in my letter. I did include the contract number and my name, but not my personal data, the date of the contract, what was “bought” etc. I figured they would be able to tell all that from the contract. I was so short on time that I wanted to get the letter out as soon as possible. I’m trying to figure out how to be proactive about this. I still have the original contracts that I’m sure they will want back. Not sure what to do other than just wait?

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
I think I am seriously having a panic attack...……...

Yes, the sales pitch is very long and often aggressive and filled with gross exaggerations and outright lies. It did leave a bad taste in my mouth. But I would encourage you to relax.

Worst case is you bought into a fantastic property. My every interaction with the staff at Vidanta Vacations has been friendly and courteous and I feel they all genuinely do what they can to make my family feel welcome and happy. I had some of the same buyers regret you are experiencing and I'm very glad I did not choose to back out.

If you feel you want to back out of the purchase I sincerely hope you are successful.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What a sales pitch! Sounds ridiculous, comparing investing in a condo near Disneyworld before the parks opened up to a timeshare. It's so incredibly egregious. I am hoping you were able to rescind. What nonsense.

I agree with your comments. We had the same sales pitch in January. We will probably never go to a Vidanta resort again.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I agree with your comments. We had the same sales pitch in January. We will probably never go to a Vidanta resort again.

100% agree with the ludicrous sales pitches there; I think they would be much better off just letting the resort sell itself. We aren't going to let that get in the way of enjoying our times down there, though; IMHO the key is learning as much as you can about how the systems work and using what you learn.

Brandy2029

Reaction score
Worst case is you bought into a fantastic property. My every interaction with the staff at Vidanta Vacations has been friendly and courteous and I feel they all genuinely do what they can to make my family feel welcome and happy. I had some of the same buyers regret you are experiencing and I'm very glad I did not choose to back out.

If you feel you want to back out of the purchase I sincerely hope you are successful.

Well actually, I already own a 4br GL Residence, so this additional contract wasn’t giving me any extra benefits. It was all about the illusion of the investment. Since there is no real “investment,” it wasn’t worth it to me. I’m trying to retire without going into debt. I do love the vacations, but I’ve learned my lesson.

Brandy2029

Reaction score
Update...call#1: I finally was able to speak to someone at Customer Service. They were very friendly until I told them I was cancelling my contract. I made sure she understood I wasn’t cancelling or modifying the other contracts that I already own. She did ask if I sent written notice & the date I sent it. When I told her the date, she said that someone else would call me with more details on how to proceed. Then 9 hours later, I received call#2...not sure her title, she asked me the same questions, but this time she asked why I was cancelling. When I told her, she tried to challenge my answer, but I stuck with it. Then she asked again the date I sent the letter, and asked if I had proof of when I sent it. Thankfully I did. I had to email her a copy of my receipt with the postmark. So now she said someone will be in touch with me about the details. I thought that was her job. Oh well, I guess I made it past stage 2. I’ll let you know how it goes, but I am feeling more confident now. Thanks for all the advice.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you can relax also. If you already own a 4 bedroom GL your in the system. Or did you trade your 4 bedroom GL in to upgrade to this new contract? Double check to make sure your GL contract still is in place. Also make sure you contact the credit company to cancel the loan. I find it doubtful they will want the original contract returned. They have a copy. If you cancel they are aware you can never use the contract # for reservations.

clever7981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I would’ve found this site sooner...great information! So I just got back from my GL vacation and decided to go to the sales presentation to hear what is developing. I already own a 4 br GL Residence in PR and was not interested in anything else, but the sales pitch was all about getting back your investment in a few years after the Parks open up - like investing in a condo in DisneyWorld before it was developed. So instead of upgrading, I bought additional inventory inside the Park. Now I’m wondering why I did this. I already had great benefits. I am still within my 5 days (if Sunday’s don’t count). How do I go about rescinding the deal? I have one day to do this. Any advice, please. Thank you!

Got out of Vidanta after 5 day period by going through credit card company to stop payment and documenting hard-sell tactics.

Willowt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got out of Vidanta after 5 day period by going through credit card company to stop payment and documenting hard-sell tactics.
We have lots of examples of how we were scammed and have been trying to get out of it for two months. Brandy, or anyone reading this. Has anyone contested with credit card after five days when they had signed a form to give over another timeshare? Can they hold you to that one form and somehow keep your timeshare even if they have no information about deed etc.?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I've posted a few times regarding the timeshare trade in programs with Vidanta and I know others have for the same "deals" with other Mexican timeshares. They don't really want your timeshare and don't really give you anything in exchange for them. If you look at the situation you are in with the one form you signed and have any familiarity with contracts, you'll note that no-one signed it from the organization that supposedly agreed to do something for you in exchange for your payment. I've spoken with a fair number of Vidanta members; some have pushed the issue and had the timeshare ownership transferred, some have been stuck with their old timeshares despite paying thousands of dollars, and some have decided to either discuss it with member services and have the agreement acknowledged to be void or just plain ignored the contact from whoever the broker (a.k.a. scam artist) and kept their old timeshare having realized that they're better off that way. I've been one to contact member services and tell them that I want to keep my old TS for sentimental reasons and because I still use it rather than trade it in and they've been fine with that; after all, it's just a sales tactic that has no bearing on the underlying transaction they want you to sign.

Whether you choose to try to get out of the contract for the Vidanta purchase or not, I seriously doubt that anyone will ever try to enforce any sort of obligation against you for the "agreement" you signed. Your contact info will probably wind up being shared with other scammers (mine has been on a number of occasions) but the only thing that ever really happened is that I added a couple of phone numbers to my blocked list for the "broker" because I didn't have any confidence in what they were proposing.

Read all you can on TUG about what you bought or are interested in. Consider becoming a member; it's worth the $15.