• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Valley Resort, Ohio going into forclosure- Choices??

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
How many Owner Weeks were there in total, that is if all owners had paid their MFees? Reading previous posts it says 32 units at 51 weeks or thereabouts so 1,650. Sounds like only 105 hung into the end. I wonder what the MFees were in their last year?

All the details are in the statement that Brian linked to.

There were 1581 interests, and 105 of what they called final AVRUOA accounts. (Apple Valley Resort Unit Owner Association)

It's fairly common to just have 50 owners per unit (2 maintenance weeks/year).

I had an owner keeping me somewhat informed, but he was not in the group actually doing all the work. I'm curious as to how much title work needed to be done to establish the 1581 "interests".

You can google the Apple Valley Association, and see some letters/statements from back when the decision to dissolve was made, and it gave some numbers regarding paying and non-paying.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The one of our legacy resorts that is well managed takes weeks back and then rents or sells them. This year they had an "Open" period for owners to purchase weeks. In the past they have had public auctions, which amounted to reading a week and asking if anyone wants it, the min price being $750.

Two years ago I went to the auction to purchase a week, and, with a pretty nice group of owners gathered, the guy who does most of the work talked about the Sunset Clause. I remember his first statement, "There is no good thing about dissolving the timeshare."
- - - - - -
Given the average age of owners at legacy resorts, and, therefore, the relative make-up of this forum, it's not surprising that there is so much discussion devoted to exit strategies, and deedbacks, and Sunset Clauses, and dissolving timeshares.

What was desirable in 1980 is not today.

It has become a very relevant topic, and being both a legacy person :cool: and a triple-legacy-resort owners, one that I am interested in, far more than stuff like how to trade for the best week, which for us has not been a topic of interest for years.

Bear in mind that legacy (old) resorts tend to be made of up of legacy owners, so for all of them, the clock is ticking. Every owner will one day not be an owner, one way or another.

Things like Apple Valley are case studies of how to end a resort, and are important to a lot of owners.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Our timeshare is voting to dissolve, we have paid our 2019 fees, what is my best play?
If the resort has value, keep paying your dues through the end. This is a l-o-n-g process. Those still in good standing at the very final end might share in the final settlement.

EDITED TO ADD: Link to Sticky on Bankrupt/Closed Resorts as their histories might be useful.

EDIT #2: @DrQ , I reviewed my old post regarding Warner Springs Ranch closing. The Homeowners first vote on closing the resort was in 2008, the resort closed in 2012 and sold/closed escrow in 2013. I believe we received our portion of the settlement in 2014. It is a long process!

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
If the resort has value, keep paying your dues through the end. This is a l-o-n-g process. Those still in good standing at the very final end might share in the final settlement.

Yup. I believe the key to a resort, whether it's ongoing or disbanding, is that it has value in the marketplace. If there is no rental value for a week, if there is no condo market, if there is no demand, then things are problematic, in either trying to continue or disband.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
EDIT #2: @DrQ , I reviewed my old post regarding Warner Springs Ranch closing. The Homeowners first vote on closing the resort was in 2008, the resort closed in 2012 and sold/closed escrow in 2013. I believe we received our portion of the settlement in 2014. It is a long process!
Yeah, I think they are going to use a huge Special Assessment to force the existing owners to use the Deedback option.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
In the Apple Valley procedure, I'm curious as to 1581 "interests" got whittled down to:

upload_2019-4-17_21-39-23.png

I've asked an owner who made it to that point, and he didn't appear to know for sure, but thought it was because he paid all along, including what I believe he said was a $1000 Assessment to finance to legal work. I can see that being necessary since the reason it was being dissolved was lack of funds/fees paid.

I can also see how a $1000 assessment to "dissolve" a resort would not get paid by many.

I'm trying to pin that down.

I did, I did pin it down. The email was sitting there all along.

Yes, there was $1000 Special Assessment to finance the legal work and sale.

Yeah, if you were asked to pay $1000 because your resort was belly-up, and someone thought they could salvage something out of it, not many would pay it.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If there were 105 people that paid the SA for legal work, that would amount to $105,000. I would think that should cover most if not all the costs associated with it. I suspect if there was anything left, it was part of the final distribution.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
If there were 105 people that paid the SA for legal work, that would amount to $105,000. I would think that should cover most if not all the costs associated with it. I suspect if there was anything left, it was part of the final distribution.

The costs of the process are shown in the financial report that Brian linked to. Some of the expenses would have to have been paid prior to the auction and some of them were paid out of the proceeds of the auction.

Yeah, I did the math and came up with $105K, too, and my feeling is that's not enough for all the work that had to be done. I'll go look.

Expenses: $519,205.05

or this:

Total AVRUOA expenses after 1st Disbursement by the court: $851,614.20

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I had another update on Apple Valley this morning, but I got virus detection, so could not look at it.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Expenses: $519,205.05

or this:

I'm guessing that the reason that there are two figures for expenses, and why "Total" expenses is so much more is that the first figure represents what it costs getting to the point of the sale (auction), and that the higher figure also includes the expenses relating to the auction/sale.

That's all in the report that Brian linked to.

What should be obvious is that dissolving a timeshare is not something for the faint of heart. It's hard to conceive that there are many people who would care to undertake this.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

I am re-posting this, with emphasis, just to hammer in the point of what it takes to dissolve a timeshare. This was a small, 32-unit one, too, and the process took 2-3 years.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Resorts are harder to undo than they were to do.

:confused:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
1.jpg

A pretty place.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which is the wise choice, for those involved at Apple Valley Resort?

I don't know anything about the Apple Valley situation but I have always acted on what an old Bond Trader told me;i.e "Your first loss is always your best loss". Based on this I would bail as quickly as possible...

George

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I don't know anything about the Apple Valley situation

The Apple Valley situation is over and done, except for the part about what it's going to be next.

I'm betting on full-ownership condos, for vacation homes or retirees.