• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Valley Resort, Ohio going into forclosure- Choices??

Black Diamond

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Apple Valley Resort is voting to cease operations by May 2016. Options to owners is:
A) Continue operations and owners pay "Special assessment" of $2500+/-
b) Deed back now or after vote is taken to close or continue
C) Hold on to deed and share in proceeds following court ordered sale of all assets.

Which is the wise choice, for those involved at Apple Valley Resort?

ADVICE FROM OTHERS THAT HAVE GONE THROUGH A VOTE OF CEASE OPERATIONS.

Thanks in advance!!

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
I am wondering the same thing.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Apple Valley Resort is voting to cease operations by May 2016. Options to owners is:
A) Continue operations and owners pay "Special assessment" of $2500+/-
b) Deed back now or after vote is taken to close or continue
C) Hold on to deed and share in proceeds following court ordered sale of all assets.

Which is the wise choice, for those involved at Apple Valley Resort?

ADVICE FROM OTHERS THAT HAVE GONE THROUGH A VOTE OF CEASE OPERATIONS.

Thanks in advance!!
I almost exchanged here one time but DH had knee accident. Let us know what happens to this resort? If you are an owner. If it was me I would cash in my week in buyback.
Silentg

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I've kept my eye on this place. It is about 1 1/2 hour away but not much shows up available except crappy weather time. I got that at home.

Hope it is, good luck !

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
If they are going into foreclosure they owe someone a lot of money. If they can't manage now, what will suddenly change if everyone is assessed $2500? And how many will pay that as opposed to just walking away? If you keep the deed and the proceeds from sale don't cover debt will you have to pay to cover the debt?

These are some questions I'd be asking myself before trying to make a decision.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any chance Wyndham could steal it? Build an indoor park?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
BUMP!

Looking for further feedback on the Chances of breaking even on this closure.

If I hold on will there any payments for owners:confused:?

Or will I need to pay to get out of it in the end?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I feel for you. I kinda liked the closeness of your resort to us. I'm keeping a eye on this.

I probably would try to get a facebook page up for owners to think together, get feedback, and share things going on with your resort.

If it were me , I would be inclined to hold tight, see what shakes loose. You won't get anything, but it shouldn't cost you anything. Who knows who would buy this, you might prosper.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is owed and how much is it? The answer to that question is needed to make a decision. More than likely the debt is far less than the value of the property but need to know for sure. How many units are there?

Many timeshares that sell for $1 would instantly be worth a little money if the timeshare was ending and the property was being sold.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Looking for further feedback on the Chances of breaking even on this closure.

If I hold on will there any payments for owners:confused:?

Or will I need to pay to get out of it in the end?
Warner Springs Ranch in California went through similar starting in 2008 with a special owner vote called an "Assent Process." The owner approval provided in that round gave the board sufficient power to close the property (Jan 2012) and push it into BK. (The ranch had no reported debt prior to that move.)

We held on to our deeds and continued paying dues until the property was, eventually, sold through the BK process (March 2013). Settling deed/title issues took much effort. Payouts from the BK Sale proceeds trickled out between late 2014 through end of 2015. My final checks were received in early January of this year.

So know that this can be a very slow process ... best wishes to you and your fellow owners.

EDITING to add photo:

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warner Springs Ranch in California went through similar starting in 2008 with a special owner vote called an "Assent Process." The owner approval provided in that round gave the board sufficient power to close the property (Jan 2012) and push it into BK. (The ranch had no reported debt prior to that move.)

We held on to our deeds and continued paying dues until the property was, eventually, sold through the BK process (March 2013). Settling deed/title issues took much effort. Payouts from the BK Sale proceeds trickled out between late 2014 through end of 2015. My final checks were received in early January of this year.

So know that this can be a very slow process ... best wishes to you and your fellow owners.

What dues were there after the property officially closed? In other words, what was the basis for dues owed between Jan 2012 and Mar 2013? Was it a lesser amount based on the necessary pre-sale activities?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
What dues were there after the property officially closed? In other words, what was the basis for dues owed between Jan 2012 and Mar 2013? Was it a lesser amount based on the necessary pre-sale activities?
Ha, Ha, Ha. Nope, full dues until sold with no usage available.

That said -- the WSR structure was a hybrid Country Club / Timeshare. Our dues paid for ranch operations but not overnight stays. Our stays were paid "per use" (nightly rental fee). The Board action of closing the ranch cut off the rental income -- while the property still needed to pay security/admin/maint staff, keep the golf course in "reasonable shape to sell," keep the ranch horses fed, etc. So -- monthly dues continued!

(Disclosure: The need for continued dues was somewhat easier for me to accept than most owners as owners with horses boarded on the property were permitted to continue our board and use of the equestrian facilities and trails through the BK sale process. So while I no longer had access to the hot springs pool and other favorite ranch amenities, I had a long transition process while maintaining my social circles at the barn. This was a side effect of the ranch horses being identified as ranch assets/property. The board didn't have authority to sell the horses as a separate asset and they needed to be fed and cared for until the new owner made a decision regarding their fate.)

garyk01

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont Hot Springs Resort Mountainside , Fairmont BC Canada, Indian Palms Intervals , Indio CA
deed it back

my advice is deed it back. I went through this with two different places. one still active, one was closed. the cheques I got after the place was liquidated was $113.00 after paying nearly that much in courier fees. so ended up with zero basically, the other place , I paid a special assessment, that one was worse, they upped the maintence fees by 20 % , now its over $1200 a week for a 2 bedroom in Canada

gerena

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so sad. We stayed there Fall 2010 and really enjoyed our time. Very clean and we enjoyed visiting the area so much. Have considered going back, but there are other places to see too! We live in northern Indiana and it was a nice pleasant drive for us to get there. I did notice that they had a 1 in 4 rule, which challenged us from going back too. Not sure what that was all about. It appears that it is difficult to get in to, especially the Fall.

It was a nice spoke out place for the Amish area (not that we don't have enough where we live--our neighbors, but.....)

We don't golf, but the view from the restaurant out to the golf course was stunning with Fall color.

Good luck and I'm sorry this has happened to the owners.

I don't have an idea for what to do, but I feel for your loss.:bawl:

laa98

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still in operation?

We have reservations here in July thru RCI. Do you think the resort will be open and still honor the reservation?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This resort looks very nice. WHAT HAPPEN ? Maybe DRI or Wyndham will take over this resort in distress.

Marvin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need info on closing of Apple Mountain Resort

I have reservations through RCI at Apple Mountain for the last week in May, 2016.Can someone bring me up to date as to the closing of the resort???

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usage end May 27th!

We have reservations here in July thru RCI. Do you think the resort will be open and still honor the reservation?

May 27th is the final date of operations. There is a owners association meeting tomorrow to decide the next step in the process.:confused:

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
May 27th is the final date of operations.

I have reservations through RCI at Apple Mountain for the last week in May, 2016.Can someone bring me up to date as to the closing of the resort???

I miss read the resort name as Apple Valley Resort:
Apple Valley Resort: will close on May 27th, the final date of operations. There is a owners association meeting tomorrow to decide the next step in the process.:confused:

Last edited:

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
$1.9 million in assets for 500 owners

my advice is deed it back. I went through this with two different places. one still active, one was closed. the cheques I got after the place was liquidated was $113.00 after paying nearly that much in courier fees. so ended up with zero basically, the other place , I paid a special assessment, that one was worse, they upped the maintence fees by 20 % , now its over $1200 a week for a 2 bedroom in Canada.

1.9 million in assets at appraisal with less than 500 current owners, they have set aside $30,000 for legal fees.

How can the association NOT have money left to disburse to owners if the sale brings 2/3 of the value?:ponder:

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
1.9 million in assets at appraisal with less than 500 current owners, they have set aside $300,000 for legal fees.

How can the association NOT have money left to disburse to owners if the sale brings 2/3 of the value?:ponder:

Two things come to mind, how much is owed and will it bring anything close to that appraised value?

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Psoitive meeting today at Apple Valley Resort

I would like to take over several GOLD week deeds that are current on membership dues and owner would like to save the $28 recording fee.
I will pay the fee to record your deed at my expense!!

Contact me about your deed!!

Thanks!!

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
Did you go to the owners' meeting today?

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes

Did you go to the owners' meeting today?

92 % percent say sell out because the ACTIVE membership is less than 35% and it needs greater than 70% ownership to keep a TS in good financial conditions. Currently 30+% ownership held by association membership

Upcoming vote will be final chance to vote to be in or out on the closing negotiations and legal process.