• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] Updated Marriott Lock-Off Info [FAQ Thread]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Domestic USA Marriott Resorts with lock-offs:
BeachPlace Towers • MBP
Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge • MCV
Desert Springs Villas • MDS
Desert Springs Villas II • MPD
Grand Chateau • MGC
Grande Vista • MGV & MGR
Harbour Lake • MHZ
Kauai Beach Club • MKW
Lakeshore Reserve • MHZ
Ko Olina Beach Club • MKO
Manor Club Sequel at Ford's Colony • MSE
Maui Ocean Club • MMO
Maui Ocean Club Lahaina and Lapili Villas • MM1
MountainSide • MOU
Ocean Pointe • MPB
Shadow Ridge • MRD
Summit Watch • MSW
Timber Lodge • MML
Willow Ridge Lodge • MHB

Foreign Marriott Resorts with lock-offs:
Aruba Ocean Club • MAO
Aruba Surf Club • MSU
Playa Andaluza • MUZ
Village d’Ile-de-France • MVF

Let me know if there are any that I missed. Feel free to add any additional information about using/trading lockoff units. I will add additional information as I get the change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
BeachPlace Towers • MBP
Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge • MCV
Desert Springs Villas • MDS
Desert Springs Villas II • MPD
Grand Chateau • MGC
Grande Vista • MGV & MGR
Harbour Lake • MHZ
Kauai Beach Club • MKW
Lakeshore Reserve • MHZ
Ko Olina Beach Club • MKO
Manor Club at Ford's Colony • MSE
Maui Ocean Club • MMO
Maui Ocean Club Lahaina and Lapili Villas • MM1
MountainSide • MOU
Ocean Pointe • MPB
Shadow Ridge • MRD
Summit Watch • MSW
Timber Lodge • MML
Willow Ridge Lodge • MHB

Foreign Marriott Resorts with lock-offs:
Aruba Ocean Club • MAO
Aruba Surf Club • MSU
Playa Andaluza • MUZ
Village d’Ile-de-France • MVF

Let me know if there are any that I missed. Feel free to add any additional information about using/trading lockoff units. I will add additional information as I get the change.

Here is a chart that DH and I keep, which has the square footages (mainly from the hotel website) of most of these. Feel free to add the others. the formatting will be messed up, but if you copy this and paste it into MS Excel, it will appear as a DB again. And yes, I know that Aruba is NOT a state, nor is Spain; just so listed for sort purposes.

Location State Type Guest Master Total
Desert Springs I CA LO 300 1375 1675
Gr. Residence (Tahoe) NV LO 600 1000 1600
Desert Springs II CA LO 200 1204 1404
M. Valley (Breckenr) CO LO 450 900 1350
Aruba Ocean Aruba LO 394 941 1335
Aruba Surf Aruba LO 394 941 1335
Beach Place FL LO 450 875 1325
Grand Vista FL LO 412 884 1296
Grand Chateau NV LO 435 820 1255
Canyon Villas AZ LO 325 875 1250
Shadow Ridge I CA LO 425 825 1250
Summit Watch UT LO 300 950 1250
Lakeshore Reserve- O FL LO 362 788 1186
Timber Lodge (Tahoe) CA LO 350 835 1185
Manor Club VA LO 384 800 1184
Ocean Pointe FL LO 300 875 1175
Marbella Spain LO 269 904 1173
Shadow Ridge II CA LO 356 751 1107
Harbor Lake - Orlando FL LO 225 857 1082

M

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Let me know if there are any that I missed.
The list looks pretty complete to me. The only other possible one might be StreamSide at Vail. You can reserve studios, 1BR and 2BR units at that resort, so they either have lockoffs or they sold dedicated studios. I do not know for sure.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Nice job, Dioxide, as usual another very helpful thread! This thread now replaces the out-dated one that was previously being used as the "Marriotts with lockouts/lockoffs" link in the Marriott Weeks System FAQ for this forum.

As Dioxide suggests in the first post, it will be helpful to include info related to purchasing/selling/reserving/using/etc lock-offs here in this thread. I hope those of you who are lock-off experts will share your knowledge. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I've corrected the first post to Manor Club Sequel since the Manor Club does not have lock-offs.

Also Village d’Ile-de-France • MVF outside of Paris: I don't think that there are any 2 bd lock-offs just the 3 bedroom units have a studio that can lock-off.

Last edited:

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Useful info, thanks. Lakeshore Reserve has so many variables and even 2 story units...don't know is any of you could get all the configurations.

Brian

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Useful info, thanks. Lakeshore Reserve has so many variables and even 2 story units...don't know is any of you could get all the configurations.

Brian

There are three kinds of lock off units at Lakeshore Reserve.

• 2BR lock off that locks off in to two 1BR master units.
  • 2BR standard lock off that locks off in to a 1BR and a studio
  • 3BR lock off that locks off in to a 2BR and a studio.
None of the two story town homes lock off.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Canyon villas

I've read that a few of the Canyon villas units are NOT 2 BR lockoffs. I think that many/most are lockoffs.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I've read that a few of the Canyon villas units are NOT 2 BR lockoffs. I think that many/most are lockoffs.

The same is true for other resorts. Harbour Lake and Grande Vista also have dedicated 2BR units as well as lockoff 2BRs. I believe that Willow Ridge Lodge may be the same.

applepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts US Collection
Can somebody explain to me how a lockoff works? If I buy a lock off unit, then I can stay in one half for one week and the other half for another week? Or rent out one half?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me how a lockoff works? If I buy a lock off unit, then I can stay in one half for one week and the other half for another week? Or rent out one half?
Yes correct, you have both of those options.
Or you can rent both halves out for the same or different weeks
Or you can exchange them together or separately through Interval.
If enrolled, you can only elect it as a full unit for DC Points though.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Also at many of the resorts with lock units you don't have to purchase a lock off. This may not apply to all resort though. All owners at the applicable resorts have equal rights to book a dedicated unit or a lock off unit or parts of a lock off first come first serve.

At resorts with fixed weeks you would not be able to use the lock off during 2 separate weeks.

If you are not enrolled and choose not to reserve the whole unit the lock off fee, I believe is $80 to reserve as 2 separate units.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also at many of the resorts with lock units you don't have to purchase a lock off. This may not apply to all resort though. All owners at the applicable resorts have equal rights to book a dedicated unit or a lock off unit or parts of a lock off first come first serve.

At resorts with fixed weeks you would not be able to use the lock off during 2 separate weeks.

If you are not enrolled and choose not to reserve the whole unit the lock off fee, I believe is $80 to reserve as 2 separate units.
At Playa Andaluza you do need to own a lock off in order to book a lock off as an owner.
The lock off fee is included if you are a member of the DC Points programme.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Playa Andaluza you do need to own a lock off in order to book a lock off as an owner.

This is true as I have a Sea Front unit at Playa Andaluza that does not lock off.

Maybe add an asterisk to denote those that may or may not depending on ownership?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is true as I have a Sea Front unit at Playa Andaluza that does not lock off.
Are there any Sea Front units that are lockoff capable?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any Sea Front units that are lockoff capable?
Yes, we own a 3 Bed Sea Front Lockoff capable unit at Playa Andaluza.
I believe that the resort has 14 x 3 Bed and 5 x 2 Bed Sea Front units, but I am not sure how many of each of these are Lockoff capable.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we own a 3 Bed Sea Front Lockoff capable unit at Playa Andaluza.
I believe that the resort has 14 x 3 Bed and 5 x 2 Bed Sea Front units, but I am not sure how many of each of these are Lockoff capable.

Mine is a 2BR and cannot be locked off. Perhaps that is the rule? 2BR cannot, 3BR can, though not all 3BR are lockoff from my understanding

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2BR and cannot be locked off. Perhaps that is the rule? 2BR cannot, 3BR can, though not all 3BR are lockoff from my understanding
I believe you are right that not all 3BR are lock offs, I don’t know if sny of the 2BR are.
If I get a moment, I will dig out and check what it has to say in my Purchase Agreement.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
To further complicate things, there are some of the Marriott TS where you can split a week. That is, you get 3 nights in a 2 BR and 4 nights in a 2 BR. I think that the week is split M, T, W, Th and then Fri, Sa. Su. I own at DSV1 and DSV2 and both allow you to do this full-unit partial week split.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this because of a rule unique to there or that the view type owned does not have lockoff's?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this because of a rule unique to there or that the view type owned does not have lockoff's?
It does not seem to be a view type issue, as Steve Fatula mentioned that he owns a 2 Bed Sea Front view which does not lock off and we own a 3 Bed Sea Front View which does lock off.
However, having now looked back at our original purchase documentation, there is a unit size difference as all 3 Bed units are lockoffs giving the option of creating a 2 Bed apartment and a studio.
As a result, there are two types of 2 Bed unit, the dedicated unit and the lockoff unit (which still has its own secure entrance, just off a shared hallway area)

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It does not seem to be a view type issue, as Steve Fatula mentioned that he owns a 2 Bed Sea Front view which does not lock off and we own a 3 Bed Sea Front View which does lock off.
However, having now looked back at our original purchase documentation, there is a unit size difference as all 3 Bed units are lockoffs giving the option of creating a 2 Bed apartment and a studio.
As a result, there are two types of 2 Bed unit, the dedicated unit and the lockoff unit (which still has its own secure entrance, just off a shared hallway area)
First let me say up front that I am not intimately familiar with the nuances or either the Pacific or European options to the same degree as the US and Caribbean. When I say it might be view type, I mean view type for that villa size. As I'm understanding what you're saying, they don't have 2 BR Sea View lockoff's so you could not lockoff but they do have 3 BR Sea View lockoff's so one can lock those off. Are there any examples where one is not allowed to lockoff where we would assume they would be simply because of some rule? Your post seemed to suggest that might be the case at Playa Andaluza but it sounds like it's view type for the size owned.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
First let me say up front that I am not intimately familiar with the nuances or either the Pacific or European options to the same degree as the US and Caribbean. When I say it might be view type, I mean view type for that villa size. As I'm understanding what you're saying, they don't have 2 BR Sea View lockoff's so you could not lockoff but they do have 3 BR Sea View lockoff's so one can lock those off. Are there any examples where one is not allowed to lockoff where we would assume they would be simply because of some rule? Your post seemed to suggest that might be the case at Playa Andaluza but it sounds like it's view type for the size owned.
To the very best of my knowledge, at Playa Andaluza, the only options are
3 Bed (all lock off) Sea Front or Garden View
2 Bed (none lock off) Sea Front or Garden View

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the very best of my knowledge, at Playa Andaluza, the only options are
3 Bed (all lock off) Sea Front or Garden View
2 Bed (none lock off) Sea Front or Garden View
Thanks Barry so they don't restrict it, it's just that some types have the option (3BR) and some don't.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks Barry so they don't restrict it, it's just that some types have the option (3BR) and some don't.
It would seem that way. In line with past consensus anyway. It doesn't seem like there are any 3BR nonlock off Sea Front of Garden View nor are there any lockoff 2BR Sea Front or Garden view. So no one is being restricted by not being able to lock off when there are unit types in their size and view that are lockoff capable.