• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

emsuncat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Edit/Update:

As of December 2017 DRI now officially has a name for this program called TRANSITIONS.

Information (including who/how to contact) is available here in this thread:

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/transitions-is-finally-announced.267181/

The financial dept apparently Voluntary Surrender Program:

In order to qualify, the HOA (MFs) must be up-to-date and the owner must have a zero balance on the loan.

To start this process, the owner must send an email to: lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com and or leadcollector@diamondresorts.com with the subject line stating: Inventory Takeback.

In the email itself the owner must include:
-Resort Name
-Owner(s) Name(s)
-Account Number
-Inventory owned (ie. weeks, points, etc)
-any other important information regarding the deed

within 7-10 business days, the Diamond Resorts will send an action required correspondence, where the owner will have 15 days to return.

Note: the owner is responsible for any fees associated with the paper work, such as notary, postage etc.

Edited to add phone number: You can call 877-497-7521, option 1 English, then 3 is direct to Loss Mitigation.
DRI has posted this on their member website as the "Transition" program. We have participated, received the transfer documentation and resubmitted with a check for $250. DRI has received the paperwork and we are waiting for the completed paperwork. The process has worked so far.....

jch928

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update:
DRI received my notarized paperwork on Jan. 22nd, 2018. I'm waiting for the deedback to be complete. I remembered that some have tried to determine this by attempting to log in to their DRI account. I just did that and received this message: We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied. YEA!!! So.... now I would like to find the actual record with the county for the deedback. Can someone here tell me how? I know I saw it in this very long thread somewhere but the 'search' function doesn't appear to be able to search just this one thread. :-( I owned at Parkway Intl, so this would be for Orange County Florida. Thanks! I'm SO relieved this is almost done!

Edited:
I think I found it. I don't see mine recorded yet so hopefully this is the right place to look and it will show up soon. Here is the link if anyone needs it. This is the orange county comptroller's record search page.
http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
upload_2018-2-24_11-15-44.png

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you are most welcome!

MellyMel

Reaction score
Update:
DRI received my notarized paperwork on Jan. 22nd, 2018. I'm waiting for the deedback to be complete. I remembered that some have tried to determine this by attempting to log in to their DRI account. I just did that and received this message: We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied. YEA!!! So.... now I would like to find the actual record with the county for the deedback. Can someone here tell me how? I know I saw it in this very long thread somewhere but the 'search' function doesn't appear to be able to search just this one thread. :-( I owned at Parkway Intl, so this would be for Orange County Florida. Thanks! I'm SO relieved this is almost done!

Edited:
I think I found it. I don't see mine recorded yet so hopefully this is the right place to look and it will show up soon. Here is the link if anyone needs it. This is the orange county comptroller's record search page.

jch928...I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Just saw that my $250 check was cashed, and I checked the DRI account and got the same message. I don't know why, but I'm still hesitant to actually accept that this transaction is finally complete. I would love to see the record with the county as well, but I can imagine, given how long this process took, that this will take just as long. I didn't see mine recorded yet. Thanks for posting the site. I'll be checking regularly.

For others, I had been receiving calls regarding my 2018 maintenance fees, but told them that I was in the middle of the voluntary surrender, and both reps that called said that I did NOT have to pay the fees and that they would make note of it. It seems this was actually true as well. Yay!!!

MellyMel

Reaction score
Tears of joy and happy dancing!!! I am locked out of my on-line account finally!! Was still able to get in yesterday and was going to call today. Checked just now before picking up the phone!!!!
Updated timeline:

July 27, 2017: Stumbled across this thread while doing a google search on how to get rid of a Diamond Resorts timeshare

July 31, 2017, 2:00 p.m.: Following the instructions from somewhere in this thread, I emailed DRI (lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com) with the subject line of 'Inventory Takeback Request"

July 31, 2017: Received an e-mail from DRI indicating they do not have a voluntary surrender program, but relinquishment requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and after reviewing my account, they have approved my request. I do not have a mortgage or any outstanding fees or dues. Was told I would have to pay $250 for transfer fees (fine by me).

August 11, 2017: started getting anxious, as I had not received any paperwork (the original e-mail did say it could take up to 60 days to receive documents), so e-mailed loss mitigation again to ask for more info. They responded a few hours later saying it could take up to 60 BUSINESS days.

October 11, 2017: Received the documents via FedEx. 4 sheets of paper total. One letter of explanation; a two-page document (special warranty deed) to be filled out and notarized; a one page letter of instruction. Also, a pre-paid FedEx envelope.

October 27 & October 30th 2017: Sent back notarized documents/DRI received documents

November 3, 2017: Check was cashed

November 29, 2017: Locked out of on-line account

So....a good four months for a deeded week to be taken back.

Thank goodness for this thread. Did not want to go thru the hassle of giving away on my own.

Keep the faith!!! It can be done in most cases.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.....thanks Brian and TUG!

Me too! Me too! They just cashed my check this week and I tried to log in to Diamond Resorts and they don't have any record of any accounts for me!!! Were you able to verify the deed with the county? I'm still in a bit of disbelief.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Me too! Me too! They just cashed my check this week and I tried to log in to Diamond Resorts and they don't have any record of any accounts for me!!! Were you able to verify the deed with the county? I'm still in a bit of disbelief.

Congrats. It feels really great, right? My deedback was recorded on the Orange County website in November. I also just recently received from DRI a letter more or less saying that the deedback has been completed. I'm just so relieved about this being over. I do own a number of Disney Vacation Club contracts and they have increased in value over the years. I really disliked the other timeshare I had, although I only had it for three years and it was given to me, so really no purchase cost involved except for transfer fees. I'm really spoiled by my DVC. It did serve its purpose, though. But I'm glad to be moving on.

dward51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Isle of Bali II
We have been considering deeding back our deeded week at Isle of Bali II for some time. I finally started the process today. We bought our deeded July 4th week 16 years ago and when our children were still at home used it constantly. However as they have moved away to establish families of their own and our health has started to fail in retirement, we simply have not used it in several years (wife was recently declared permanently medically disabled). Time to let it go free....

I followed both procedures described in this thread, and sent the email to loss mitigation and then via the transitions program link on our Diamond Resorts account control panel. I promptly received confirmations from both the email and the transitions submission and have a ticket number assigned. So hopefully it will be accepted as we have valid and verifiable hardships. I will post follow up info here.

Thanks to all who have pushed this information out there and for this site!

Edit......
I still have a week on deposit from last year with Interval International. I wonder how long that will stay on our account (it was July 4, 2017 so the week at Diamond is past/used).

antykay

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI has posted this on their member website as the "Transition" program. We have participated, received the transfer documentation and resubmitted with a check for $250. DRI has received the paperwork and we are waiting for the completed paperwork. The process has worked so far.....
Can you tell me how long this whole process has taken? We have just been approved for buy back; however, after logging into my dri account is still says under review, also how can you tell what they send to you in the mail is legit; as I had previously received an email from them saying my application was rejected and when I called them about it, they said it must be a scam email as they showed it was still under review at that time, since then, I got a phone call saying it was approved and mail was on its way to me, does this sound correct?

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone is deeding back a Polo Towers week, please pm me. I would be happy to take it off your hands. :)

emsuncat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update:

Edited:
Update: My check ($250) for the program has been cashed so the transaction work has completed. I tried to log onto my Diamond account and I no longer have a Diamond account. So I believe I no longer own my timeshare (YEA). I am waiting for my copy of the completed paperwork. THANKS FOR KEEPING TUGGERS AWARE OF THESE IMPORTANT ISSUES!!!!

dward51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Took 4 days for me to get the email notifying me my transitions request was approved. Now we are waiting on the paperwork to arrive. No changes I can see on our DRI account web page so far.

jch928

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're free!! Just called Diamond Resorts Loss Mitigation to check on the status of our deedback. I was told the contract was officially canceled and closed on Feb 23rd! Woohoo!!! :)

elsmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like the other on this thread, I'm delighted to be rid of my metaphorical boat anchor (e.g. timeshare) and was lucky enough to rent my timeshare for the first time this past summer. That income paid for the transfer fee and allowed me to make a bunch more charitable donations at the end of year. A couple words of advice if you're planning to do this is to make sure you don't give Diamond resorts any reason to disqualify you and that could be something that includes being unpleasant to deal with as reported by customer service staff. I was told off the record that they only do this for a limited number of units per year and set a bar of qualifications that they won't give out.
Thankfully I cleared that bar.

raco1l

Reaction score
Paperwork returned, Checks have been cashed, Account Login attempt says: "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."
Can we expect to receive final documentation of the transfer?

Has anyone considered if this "investment" can be claimed as a loss?

Thanks so much for the help getting out of this mess!

Freedom17

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI
Paperwork returned, Checks have been cashed, Account Login attempt says: "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied."
Can we expect to receive final documentation of the transfer?

Has anyone considered if this "investment" can be claimed as a loss?

Thanks so much for the help getting out of this mess!
This is an investment lost. In addition, all the fees that spent on title change are expenses, e.g. notary and processing fee $250

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there is no valid tax writeoff on the depreciation of a timeshare unfortunately.

ChaSiuBao

Reaction score
About 6 months ago, I stumble upon this site and found the sticky with instructions on how to give back my timeshare. I act upon it immediately. The process went smoothly and I'm happy to say I'm timeshare free now. Yay!! Thank you all!

Recently, I also received a notification from Interval International that my owner unit has been removed from my account with the request of my home resort. I login and confirmed it. I no longer have a timeshare associated with my membership account. My II membership has expired and I haven't renew it for a few years. However, I'm still able to login and search for Getaways.

Since I no longer own a timeshare and is indicated in my II account. Can I still purchase Getaways? It appears that I can when I search and attempt to navigate to the payment section. It only require my membership to be current (pay the $89 fee). Have anyone try that? Is it allowed? Thanks in advance.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
About 6 months ago, I stumble upon this site and found the sticky with instructions on how to give back my timeshare. I act upon it immediately. The process went smoothly and I'm happy to say I'm timeshare free now. Yay!! Thank you all!

Recently, I also received a notification from Interval International that my owner unit has been removed from my account with the request of my home resort. I login and confirmed it. I no longer have a timeshare associated with my membership account. My II membership has expired and I haven't renew it for a few years. However, I'm still able to login and search for Getaways.

Since I no longer own a timeshare and is indicated in my II account. Can I still purchase Getaways? It appears that I can when I search and attempt to navigate to the payment section. It only require my membership to be current (pay the $89 fee). Have anyone try that? Is it allowed? Thanks in advance.

so very happy you found our site and the information needed to end your DRI ownership without being scammed.

Release17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Edit/Update:

As of December 2017 DRI now officially has a name for this program called TRANSITIONS.

Information (including who/how to contact) is available here in this thread:

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/transitions-is-finally-announced.267181/

The financial dept apparently Voluntary Surrender Program:

In order to qualify, the HOA (MFs) must be up-to-date and the owner must have a zero balance on the loan.

To start this process, the owner must send an email to: lossmitigation@diamondresorts.com and or leadcollector@diamondresorts.com with the subject line stating: Inventory Takeback.

In the email itself the owner must include:
-Resort Name
-Owner(s) Name(s)
-Account Number
-Inventory owned (ie. weeks, points, etc)
-any other important information regarding the deed

within 7-10 business days, the Diamond Resorts will send an action required correspondence, where the owner will have 15 days to return.

Note: the owner is responsible for any fees associated with the paper work, such as notary, postage etc.

Edited to add phone number: You can call 877-497-7521, option 1 English, then 3 is direct to Loss Mitigation.

dward51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update on our deed back that I started in late February, 2018.

We had not received the mailed packet so I called DRI Loss Mitigation at 877-497-7521 option 1 then 3 (called on May 25th). They mailed the packet on March 26, so I guess the US Postal system lost it in the shuffle. The customer service person I spoke with offered to email me the documents from the packet as a PDF. I wish they would have offered this option up front. 15 minutes later I had the necessary documents and printed them off. Just need to get them signed and notarized after the holiday and mail them back in. You will need 2 witnesses and a notary in addition to the owners to sign. As posted by others, there is a $250 fee for the deed processing. I looked the paperwork over and it appears to be a straight forward deed transfer back to DRI and the resort (I had a deeded week from a group DRI acquired). Basically needs the required signatures and recording with state of Florida and done. Se we are getting close.

The customer service rep did suggest I should use a form of a trackable mail or overnight to send it back so I would know they received it.

Release17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this information. We have been a timeshare owner with Diamond Resorts International at Palm Canyon Resorts for over 30 years. We were mortgage free and up to date on our quarterly fees when I submitted my Transitions request on the DRI website. Within a few days I r dive d day an email from DRI saying they would begin processing our request by sending paper work to sign over the Deed. A $250.00 charge was requested along with a $12.10 “bookkeeping” charge and a form to have notorized relinquishing our ownership. We sent the forms via USPS with a tracking. Umber to assure it was received. Within a few weeks I received an email from DRI saying our request was accepted as well as the $12.10 check returned because we were “members within the Club”. I have been waiting for a formal letter and nothing has arrived. When I went to log on to my account it indicated the account did not exist. So I called Transitions and was told the account is closed, “no longer a timeshare owner”, the representative stated DRI sometimes sends a letter of confirmation or just the email to indicate the deedbsck was accepted and completed. The representative stated there will be “no more mailings from DRI/Palm Canyon Resorts for quarterly dues because the account does not exist”. “If I do receive any, to ignore them because again the account does NOT exist any longer”. I’m still in disbelief we have this “albatross”off our backs. Thank you to TUG for posting this DRI Transitions offering. You saved us thousands of dollars and lingering anxiety over how to unload this horrible “mistake” we made several years ago. Thank yous also to all the members who have shared their experiences. What a fantastic website and resource TUGs provides to timeshare owners, buyers, sellers, etc., etc.

R_MAX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
For those who have gone through the process, how long did it take from start to finish? I started the "Transition" process just last week and made sure that I met all of the qualifications they had listed.....so is there a general consensus as to how long the prcoess takes?

Thank you