• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Los Cabos Resort - Outstanding!

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, Thank you for getting me excited about Westin Los Cabos. I was also looking for a Hawaii alternative that had beach, pool, golf, whales, and good weather in winter without the extremely long flight from the east coast.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@JIMinNC How did you get the $299 travel package? We have gotten snail mail offers for Maui but they state that you are not eligible if you are an owner.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
@JIMinNC How did you get the $299 travel package? We have gotten snail mail offers for Maui but they state that you are not eligible if you are an owner.

We received a snail mail mailing last spring offering the $299 4-night Los Cabos package. I've assumed that came from direct mail marketing to my wife's SPG account. We are not currently Vistana owners, so any owner prohibition would not apply to us.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Jim, Thank you for getting me excited about Westin Los Cabos. I was also looking for a Hawaii alternative that had beach, pool, golf, whales, and good weather in winter without the extremely long flight from the east coast.

It is truly a great place and great location. In Maui, we've never seen as many whales from our balconies as we saw in five days at the Westin Los Cabos. They truly do love the area right there in front of the resort.

The golf courses also looked great, and we definitely will plan to play on our next trip. We just decided this time to focus on learning all we could about the area.

They have two main pools - a bigger one with a waterfall for families and, one level farther up, an adults pool with a swim-up bar (and great margaritas - two-for-one happy hour from 1pm until 2pm). These infinity pools are really beautiful. There's an even smaller, quieter adults pool one level above the pool with the swim up bar. I've attached two photos of the bar and the main adults pool. There's also a large hot tub between the two main pools.

They also have a great breakfast buffet. My wife's SPG status got us a free continental breakfast every morning, but we could upgrade for $5 US each to the full hot breakfast buffet with omelet and waffle station.

I was really surprised how low the resort occupancy seemed. The restaurants were not crowded, nor were the pools and beach. On the way out, the bell manager asked that we review the resort on TripAdvisor because they need to boost their business. They've only been open about 8 months and have a lot of units/points unsold, so it may not be surprising that occupancy is still low. But I'm wondering if the negative press and travel warnings about Mexico (some of which I'm wondering if they are politically motivated) are hurting tourism there? Having never been to Mexico, we didn't know what to expect either, but the Mexican people were absolutely wonderful and so helpful and friendly. We never felt unsafe anywhere we went in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo.

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Thanks Jim for the pictures and descriptions of this resort.
As I said, I got an II exchange in November and am looking forward to this more than ever.
II has 2 bdrm units available, but those are in the lower season summer or early fall.

I will have to go back in the winter time (2020 LOL) to see the whales.
I never seem to be going to Hawaii at the right time to see them.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
On the way out, the bell manager asked that we review the resort on TripAdvisor because they need to boost their business.
Be sure to post a review on TUG, too!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
JIMinNC, thanks for sharing so many details about your stay at Los Cabos! We live on the east coast too and are excited about this new destination. The photos look fantastic.

But I'm wondering if the negative press and travel warnings about Mexico (some of which I'm wondering if they are politically motivated) are hurting tourism there?

Possibly. But it’s important to keep in mind (and to inform or remind other travelgoers!) that the State Department has classified Mexico as a “Level 2” country, which is the same as Spain, France, and the UK. No need to speculate about political motivations for the travel warnings (also, doing so may run afoul of forum rules.)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
This looks amazing.Thanks for the pictures. I am surprised that interval rates it premier . It certainly looks like it deserves an elite rating. .

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here are the points charts for both phases at the Westin Los Cabos (ignore Lagunamar at the top)

Attachments

• 5947D5EB-ACDD-4098-A7D7-33FEDF15BE5A.png
    5947D5EB-ACDD-4098-A7D7-33FEDF15BE5A.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 220

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Here are the points charts for both phases at the Westin Los Cabos (ignore Lagunamar at the top)

Note that my comments in this thread relate to the first chart for the Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas and Spa (the renovated former Westin hotel). The second Los Cabos chart on that page is for the adjacent Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas and Spa - Baja Point. That's the former Grand Regina resort whose owners have recently been offered the opportunity to become Vistana members, which was discussed in this thread -- https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/bajapoint-los-cabos-conversion-to-vistana.266195/

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Possibly. But it’s important to keep in mind (and to inform or remind other travelgoers!) that the State Department has classified Mexico as a “Level 2” country, which is the same as Spain, France, and the UK. No need to speculate about political motivations for the travel warnings (also, doing so may run afoul of forum rules.)

Valid point that the actual travel warning status for most of Mexico is not that much different than other places. But based on comments I’ve read and heard online, from friends, and in the media, I think there is a perception by a lot of folks that the security/risk environment in Mexico resort areas is a bigger issue than it really is. It’s less important whether that perception is caused by politics, sensationalized media reporting, or something else. But it may be hurting tourism. Even outside of the resort, we were somewhat surprised that restaurants and other activities in Los Cabos did not seem any busier than they were, in what should have been a peak season.

travelhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great reviews and pictures.

We just exchanged into this resort for late August, so no whale watching... :-(

Do you know where to find a resort map? Our unit will be 1316. Is this at a good ocean view location or somewhere being blocked by other buildings?

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great reviews and pictures.

We just exchanged into this resort for late August, so no whale watching... :-(

Do you know where to find a resort map? Our unit will be 1316. Is this at a good ocean view location or somewhere being blocked by other buildings?

Every room has a clear ocean view ... it is beautiful there.

travelhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great! Fingers crossed, as I read reviews that some of the rooms in one side of the building would be blocked by another resort next to Westin.

If unit 1316 is at 13th floor, we should be fine. If it is at the 3rd floor, :ponder: not sure ..... but may also depend on where the unit is located on that level...

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Great! Fingers crossed, as I read reviews that some of the rooms in one side of the building would be blocked by another resort next to Westin.

If unit 1316 is at 13th floor, we should be fine. If it is at the 3rd floor, :ponder: not sure ..... but may also depend on where the unit is located on that level...

Our unit was 7th floor and was 1732. So based on that, 1316 will be 3rd floor. Not sure where in the building 1316 is located, but all suites do face the ocean.

How do you know your room assignment already? I was under the impression that actual room assignments are not made until right before check-in since all of the units at Westin Los Cabos are in the Aventuras Trust and Vistana controls the inventory. If this was an exchange, I would be surprised if the unit you get is the exact unit that was exchanged.

travelhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

In my exchange confirmation from II, it says "unit 1316". I was also surprised to see that it was so specific. :ponder: But it was listed there....

I hope we could get a higher floor at check-in. Late August may not be a high season, right?

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Is there a grocery store nearby, or is grocery delivery available?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the info!

In my exchange confirmation from II, it says "unit 1316". I was also surprised to see that it was so specific. :ponder: But it was listed there....

I hope we could get a higher floor at check-in. Late August may not be a high season, right?
That may not mean they keep you in that unit. Many II confirmations will list the specific unit. I think Royal Resorts also listed the specific unit. It is just the unit that was actually deposited.

travelhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks! So we may get a different unit, hopefully at higher floor. :whooopie:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Is there a grocery store nearby, or is grocery delivery available?

I have never stayed there but I have stayed at the RVC/Club Regina next door. The simple answer is no. You are several miles from a regular grocery store. You can take a taxi, rent a car, or if adventuresome you could walk the mile or so to the Highway and take the local bus. You are slightly closer to San Jose del Cabo than Cabo San Lucas. As for delivery I have no idea as we always rent a car in Los Cabos and so driving to the grocery store is no big deal. Sometimes you can work a deal with your ride from the airport to the Resort to stop by a grocery store.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It is truly a great place and great location. In Maui, we've never seen as many whales from our balconies as we saw in five days at the Westin Los Cabos. They truly do love the area right there in front of the resort.

The golf courses also looked great, and we definitely will plan to play on our next trip. We just decided this time to focus on learning all we could about the area.

They have two main pools - a bigger one with a waterfall for families and, one level farther up, an adults pool with a swim-up bar (and great margaritas - two-for-one happy hour from 1pm until 2pm). These infinity pools are really beautiful. There's an even smaller, quieter adults pool one level above the pool with the swim up bar. I've attached two photos of the bar and the main adults pool. There's also a large hot tub between the two main pools.

They also have a great breakfast buffet. My wife's SPG status got us a free continental breakfast every morning, but we could upgrade for $5 US each to the full hot breakfast buffet with omelet and waffle station.

I was really surprised how low the resort occupancy seemed. The restaurants were not crowded, nor were the pools and beach. On the way out, the bell manager asked that we review the resort on TripAdvisor because they need to boost their business. They've only been open about 8 months and have a lot of units/points unsold, so it may not be surprising that occupancy is still low. But I'm wondering if the negative press and travel warnings about Mexico (some of which I'm wondering if they are politically motivated) are hurting tourism there? Having never been to Mexico, we didn't know what to expect either, but the Mexican people were absolutely wonderful and so helpful and friendly. We never felt unsafe anywhere we went in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo.

View attachment 5723

View attachment 5724

From what I have read, tourism to Mexico is at an all time high, but so is the development of new resorts. All the major resort companies all over the world are expanding in Mexico. So another possible explanation for low occupancy is increased hotel rooms and hotel competition. Plus high season in Christmas through Easter so if you go outside that period, occupancy will be lower.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Plus high season in Christmas through Easter so if you go outside that period, occupancy will be lower.

We were there in Mid-February, so that is prime time high season. That's why I was surprised that the resort did not seem crowded at all. As we were leaving, when we mentioned we loved the resort and our stay, the lead bellman even asked us to do a TripAdvisor review to help them get a boost as things were slower than they would like.