• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Late Deposit of Marriott Week - Take 2br Now or wait for Lockoff Replacement Week later??

JaxCalle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Willow Ridge Resort
Friends! Please help! I'm late in depositing my Marriott (silver) 2 br (lock-off) week for 2018 Branson and there are NO MORE Lock-offs available. Only 2 br. Which means, I will pay $1,400 this year for ONE WEEK in a 2 br. :bawl: I was late because I was planning on selling my week and last minute, my family asked me to KEEP IT!

So, I can deposit a 2 br (there is one left on Feb 22 -- probably very low trading power) by myself or wait one more month and just let them (as they told me) GIVE ME a "Replacement Lock-Off" -- It may come with those "time restrictions," which I don't really mind, but I only like to trade to other Marriotts.

Would you advise me to DEPOSIT the 2br now and just "take the loss" -- or hold off and get that Replacement Week? Not sure if I can get a lock-off... hmm! I ALWAYS trade in Orlando (which is where I live) anyway and specifically to Marriotts in Orlando. I don't even care if it's a 0 bedroom, or if I have a 50 day reservation window. I just want two weeks if possible and in a Marriott.

Thank you for your kind advice.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I'm confused. Are you waiting in hopes that a lock off will mysteriously come available, and you actually call and find out in time? If so, doesn't sound like a great strategy.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Silver weeks are 1-9. I don't know if Marriott would be obligated to give you lock off replacement week. They might tell you take it or leave it as a 2 br replacement week.

I couldn't imagine any week with lower exchange value especially than the studio in silver season.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there are no more 2BR L/Os, then you really should take what you can find... unless Marriott committed that you will get 2 halfs (1 BR and 1 studio) as replacement weeks/units at the end of the season. I find the latter hard to believe that it will happen.

By the way, if you want 2 weeks, you will likely find that ACs that are found/deposited into II often can be exchanged into Florida resorts. Most of us are swimming with ACs that we find no use for. There are lots of non Florida beach resorts inventory that can be seened with the ACs.

JaxCalle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am also confused. Since Feb was mentioned above, are you referring to 2017 or 2018 usage?
Pardon my omission. Yes for 2018. I have a 2/br lock-off unit. But I forgot to deposit it until now.

JaxCalle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Marriott Manager (at the call center) said that I could MAYBE get a 2 bedroom lock-off as a Replacement Week if I waited until ALL of the inventory for that silver week was exhausted. But that she could not guarantee it. I think they want me to just take a 2 br and call it a day. In years past, they would usually find a Replacement LOCK OFF without a problem. Is that just not even existent these days? Last time that happened to me was maybe 6 years ago. I got a lock off, but it was very hard to trade each of those two weeks. I'm now leaning toward just taking the 2br and if necessary use an AC -- which tends to run $299 for the exchange. :-(

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not realize that a lock-off replacement deposit was even possible. I thought when Marriott made deposits that it was only a full unit. Perhaps they are doing an exchange and then giving you what they could find.

Replacement deposits are never guaranteed so there is at least some risk in not taking the 2BR.

JaxCalle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did not realize that a lock-off replacement deposit was even possible. I thought when Marriott made deposits that it was only a full unit. Perhaps they are doing an exchange and then giving you what they could find.

Replacement deposits are never guaranteed so there is at least some risk in not taking the 2BR.

And that makes me concerned that perhaps this option no longer exists. But she (the manager) DID say that if I wanted a lock-off replacement week, I had to wait for all the 2 br. weeks to be fully exhausted.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
And that makes me concerned that perhaps this option no longer exists. But she (the manager) DID say that if I wanted a lock-off replacement week, I had to wait for all the 2 br. weeks to be fully exhausted.
I'm still confused. Do you mean a replacement week deposited in II as a studio and 1BR? How can they do this if there are no lock off units left? They can't deposit what doesn't exist. If they are going to give you something they control (a lock off) it seems they could do this now.

Whatever you do, don't get inside the 60 day so you don't have a restricted unit to deposit to II.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My impression is that they already banked some full unit and lock of units with II. They won't offer any of these until there is nothing left to actually book within your season. You don't know and they won't tell you now what they have pre banked that they could offer as replacement weeks. It may end up still being a full unit that was deposited very late either just outside of flex or even within flex. You don't know. The intention is more to satisfy those that either forgot to book until too late or just bought and the unit transferred too late to book anything. The intention is not for someone who booked late but not too late for something.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just think it is risky business to expect Marriott to issue replacement lockoff units.

Agreed and tschwa2 is correct. These are not Marriott reservations that they deposit into an II account. These are reservations that were already deposited in the past and are still sitting in Marriott's corporate account and then are transferred to the owner. The deposit date may be many months ago so the expiration might be less than two years from the current day.

I have never asked for a master and a studio as deposit replacements but I did not know it was an option. For me I am just happy to get a replacement no matter what it is.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Agreed and tschwa2 is correct. These are not Marriott reservations that they deposit into an II account. These are reservations that were already deposited in the past and are still sitting in Marriott's corporate account and then are transferred to the owner. The deposit date may be many months ago so the expiration might be less than two years from the current day.

I have never asked for a master and a studio as deposit replacements but I did not know it was an option. For me I am just happy to get a replacement no matter what it is.
Yes, and in this case as is noted she received a reservation, just not a lockoff, due to waiting too long. Certainly doesn't seem like it fits the unwritten policy of helping an owner out when they completely miss the opportunity to reserve a week in their season. But I wish the OP best of luck.

JaxCalle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you guys! I went ahead and took the 2 br. I will manage my situation via II with ACs (although these are for 3 bedroom units now, so they charge you $350 for each exchange. UGH! Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for your help.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I went ahead and took the 2 br. I will manage my situation via II with ACs (although these are for 3 bedroom units now, so they charge you $350 for each exchange. UGH! Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for your help.
You should be able to save on additional size upgrade fees when using the ACs since they are usually 2 to 3BR in size.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to save on additional size upgrade fees when using the ACs since they are usually 2 to 3BR in size.

The size of the AC doesn't many any difference on the fee. It is loosely tied to trading power and that is it. The underlying pricing structure of the AC is what makes a difference in price and this structure did not change when they introduced the upgrade fees on regular exchanges.

Some ACs are fixed fee regardless of size and some are variable based on the size you pull. The size of the AC won't change it and unfortunately neither does flex.