• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Public Transportation on Kauai?

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Hi all, I know there is a county bus system that goes around the island main roads. We are considering this as waited too long to book a rental car. Just wondering if anyone has experience taking the local bus? Also, I know Uber or Lyft are on Maui, anyone ever seen one on Kauai? Or know of other local taxi or combi-type ways to get around that don't cost an arm & a leg?
Thx! and Happy Thanksgiving all!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Public Transportation on Kauai - HA HA HA. How many years is your vacation going to be? There is a bus system but you have to have lots of time to waste. Plus the nearest bus stop may be quite a walk from the sites you want to see.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One time I looked into taking the bus from Kapa'a to the airport, when I was staying over one day longer than DW.

Decided it wasn't feasible when I read the rules for riding the bus - suitcases not allowed.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
One time I looked into taking the bus from Kapa'a to the airport, when I was staying over one day longer than DW.

Decided it wasn't feasible when I read the rules for riding the bus - suitcases not allowed.
Thank you! That is very helpful to know about no suitcases. The website lists things you can and cannot bring but no mention of suitcases - no surfboards/yes skateboards for example ;-)

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Public Transportation on Kauai - HA HA HA. How many years is your vacation going to be? There is a bus system but you have to have lots of time to waste. Plus the nearest bus stop may be quite a walk from the sites you want to see.
Thank you for replying. Walking is not a problem for us :)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Also, book a refundable rental car at your favorite site (or directly with Autoslash.com); I use Costco.

Then, track your reservation with Autoslash.com They will update you with best reservation and monitor for changes. Worked great for me multiple times this last 2 years on HI and domestic/mainland.

Don't forget to cancel original bookings if you do rebook with autoslash. They will work with reservations at any car company--as long as you can cancel the original reservation.

BTW: If they send you a reservation offer that doesn't seem right or what you requested, email them to clarify: some of the emails they send are exactly what you want...but the text in the offer doesn't fully describe the rental.

Try it...you'll like it and it's free.

PS: You NEED a car in Kauai unless you're staying in Lihui and never leaving.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Also, book a refundable rental car at your favorite site (or directly with Autoslash.com); I use Costco.

Then, track your reservation with Autoslash.com They will update you with best reservation and monitor for changes. Worked great for me multiple times this last 2 years on HI and domestic/mainland.

Don't forget to cancel original bookings if you do rebook with autoslash. They will work with reservations at any car company--as long as you can cancel the original reservation.

BTW: If they send you a reservation offer that doesn't seem right or what you requested, email them to clarify: some of the emails they send are exactly what you want...but the text in the offer doesn't fully describe the rental.

Try it...you'll like it and it's free.

PS: You NEED a car in Kauai unless you're staying in Lihui and never leaving.
TY! Will have a look at Autoslash.com ! I did not know about them.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you! That is very helpful to know about no suitcases. The website lists things you can and cannot bring but no mention of suitcases - no surfboards/yes skateboards for example ;-)

From the website. The key is the size limitation and that the luggage can't be in the aisle or on a seat.

upload_2017-11-19_23-20-43.png

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The key is: If you try to ride the bus in rush hour, with your carry-on bag (actually larger than airline limits) and a personal item (backpack), you'll probably find that you don't have anywhere to sit/hold your luggage. Then it will be in the aisle.

We've had this problem on Kauai and Oahu. They are NOT happy when you bring lots of items on the bus when busy. They will make some storage available, but they don't like it. Ask me how I know....I won't do it again. Backpack ok, suitcase? Bus better have lots of seats. You want to hear the locals and driver talk bad about tourists? try it.

IMHO. The bus is fine if you need a ride somewhere, but airport to hotel is not a good idea says me.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
IMHO. The bus is fine if you need a ride somewhere, but airport to hotel is not a good idea says me.[/QUOTE]

TY! Appreciate learning from others experience!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Koloa and Poipu used to have plenty of comfortable seats at the bus stop, but when we were there last winter, the chairs were gone.

2016-02-21%2009-42-33%20a-L.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Making the trek to Ke'e Beach (end of the road, north shore) is a trip for which public transit would probably a good idea - if it weren't for the limitations on what you can carry on the bus with you.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Koloa and Poipu used to have plenty of comfortable seats at the bus stop, but when we were there last winter, the chairs were gone.

2016-02-21%2009-42-33%20a-L.jpg
:-D I love it! So Kauai! Thanks for sharing - great pic. I love Kauai, Our family has been vacationing there since 1991. Rental cars are usually a bit pricey - but waiting til last minute over Christmas??? Will never do that again!

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Making the trek to Ke'e Beach (end of the road, north shore) is a trip for which public transit would probably a good idea - if it weren't for the limitations on what you can carry on the bus with you.
We love Ke'e - doesn't everyone! ;-) So it's good to know one can take the bus (from Princeville). Booking a car as late as we did, half our party will be using the bus at least some of the time. Appreciate the info!!

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
TY! Will have a look at Autoslash.com ! I did not know about them.
Thank you! So great to know about Autoslash.com! It's a great resource...

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Kauai is very rural - you need a car.

Try: https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

This is a consolidator that can search for all availability on the island.
Thank you Denise! It is a great resource! We ended up booking our one vehicle through them. Would have gotten 2 if we had shopped earlier, but now we will have bus adventures to share ;-) when we end up going in separate directions...

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We love Ke'e - doesn't everyone! ;-) So it's good to know one can take the bus (from Princeville). Booking a car as late as we did, half our party will be using the bus at least some of the time. Appreciate the info!!
I walk back what I wrote. The bus doesn't go beyond Hanalei. For some reason I thought there was bus service to the end of the road; perhaps there was at one time, but not now.

So the only way to get out there is by private vehicle. Maybe some of the people could use Uber all the way to Ke'e, bringing the gear with them. Meanwhile, the other parties take the car and park where they can. But then the people won't have to carry the beach gear along with them, making the trek less burdensome.