• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disappointed with II

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been using RCI since purchasing our first timeshare in 1999 , feeling frustrated with the lack of new inventory and the ever increasing prices. I decided to join II and deposit my Resort on Cocoa beach week. After searching II for 6 months and seeing mostly disappointing trade options. Only time a desirable unit is available it is very short notice. As lousy as RCI is they will be getting my future deposits.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is the problem: The best exchanges are snagged with ongoing searches, placed as early as possible, and they never go into the online inventory, so you never see them. When you only search the online inventory, you only see the leftovers.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As Denise said with RCI or II it is best to start an ongoing search. You need to search out as far as possible, request an area or country, and to use a time frame rather than a set week. If I was starting an ongoing search today it would be for October or November 2018, 1bedroom or larger, and Hawaii.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ideally, you want to start your ongoing searches as early as possible - a year or more out.

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a ongoing search going on for multiple areas ( South Florida , New Orleans and Southern Cal) for Jan-Mar 2019 for the last 6 months and received zero hits. I am thinking they assess a low trading power for my June Resort on Cocoa Beach week. I am thinking of starting a late/summer early fall search for the western US where II seems to have better availability.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-You are trying to trade for high demand weeks and you may not have enough trading power.

-How much is this week worth on RCI? That will tell you it's trading power.

-You may need to put in your request earlier.

-If this is a TPU week, you can combine two years for more TPU.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My Royal Solaris Week has only a 9 TPU. So I will deposit 4 of them and pay RCI a fee to combine them into a 36. Then I can get some good trades.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had very good luck with II and Resort on Cocoa Beach. No comparison to what I originally had with RCI.

I have had multiple trades to Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, Canyon Villas, and Grand Lodge on Peak 7 in the last few years.

You probably need to enter a search to get these type of trades. All have been 2 bedrooms except Lakeshore this year is a 3 bedroom. Jd2601

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
II has less inventory than Rci, but II beats Rci in resort quality.
But that's not going to help you get the trades you want.
You know how you'll get a week you like everytime, guaranteed?
Not depositing your week until you have the week you want.
In other words, consider using your week and not exchanging it until the exchange companies get you what you want.
If possible, do what's called a "request first" exchange request.
This strategy has been working wonderfully for me the last 18 months or so.
In case is not clear, this assumes you like the week you own.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you own a week with poor trading power - how will this work everytime guaranteed?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
In II, many people do not deposit until one year out. Different than RCI which encourages depositing two years ahead. So it is unlikely you would get an exchange until January-March 2018 in II.

That said, June on the beach in FL might not have the best trading power with II. You can look at their demand rating on your resorts page on II. If the week you deposited is at the 100 to 50-60 demand index, you might not have much of a chance with your high demand request.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have found II to be much better then RCI. I find with lower TDI time or lower quality resorts an on going search is a must, bumps your trading power up. Just do not expect to get Marriotts or Hyatts. If you have realistic expectations you can get great trades to enjoy.

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In II, many people do not deposit until one year out. Different than RCI which encourages depositing two years ahead. So it is unlikely you would get an exchange until January-March 2018 in II.

That said, June on the beach in FL might not have the best trading power with II. You can look at their demand rating on your resorts page on II. If the week you deposited is at the 100 to 50-60 demand index, you might not have much of a chance with your high demand request.
I do see better availability around 9-12 months out. This will be a change in exchange planning for me. With RCI I almost always exchange 18-24 months out. Seldom would I use a ongoing search with RCI. My Resort on Cocoa beach week is week 22 which on the II demand scale is 4 marks from being 100%. I have stayed a Marriott Ocean Palms and I would consider it a even trade for my deposit.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
<<In II, many people do not deposit until one year out.>>
GrayFal is exactly correct.
You are TOO EARLY for Jan - Mar 2019. Keep the search in place and be patient. We recommend setting up your search early, but 18 - 24 months is too early for II matches to hit.

Within the past week, II received a deposit of several Newport Coast Villas (NCV) winter 2018 weeks. Some are still out there. Can you see those with your unit?

There have also been late fall 2017 deposits for Four Seasons Aviara (FSA), but none currently out there.

You have a Gold/Premier resort in II. The June weeks are weeks 22 - 26.
week 22 = TDI 135
weeks 23 - 26 = TDI 150
150 is the highest TDI, so you are in good shape.

Last edited:

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Royal Solaris Week has only a 9 TPU. So I will deposit 4 of them and pay RCI a fee to combine them into a 36. Then I can get some good trades.
I stayed at the Royal Solaris when it was brand new. We had a great time there. It was our 1 and only all inclusive resort stay. I hope your maintenance fees are low.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own a week with poor trading power - how will this work everytime guaranteed?
You get a week you want no matter what. Either the one you own or the one you exchange into.
Of course that presupposes you like the week you own.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that in RCI you might find exactly what you want just sitting there one to two years in advance. II is a different animal.
Which resorts are you after? I never search for areas - I enter specific resort codes.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
<<In II, many people do not deposit until one year out.>>
GrayFal is exactly correct.
You are TOO EARLY for Jan - Mar 2019. Keep the search in place and be patient. We recommend setting up your search early, but 18 - 24 months is too early for II matches to hit.

Within the past week, II received a deposit of several Newport Coast Villas (NCV) winter 2018 weeks. Some are still out there. Can you see those with your unit?

There have also been late fall 2017 deposits for Four Seasons Aviara (FSA), but none currently out there.

You have a Gold/Premier resort in II. The June weeks are weeks 22 - 26.
week 22 = TDI 135
weeks 23 - 26 = TDI 150
150 is the highest TDI, so you are in good shape.
Having TDI 150 and a gold premier resort can just as easily land the OP nothing as something.
The main problem I see with OP getting an exchange into NCV during a non white season is that the OP's week is not Marriott and NCV is Marriott. II works on a like for like system, and a non mariott week is considered a lesser week by II than a Marriott week, no matter the TDI or resort quality of the non mariott week.
I know nothing of FSA but I imagine the same rules apply.

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have traded into NCV & FSA countless times. They are the cream of the crop in Southern Cal. I am confident that the resort in question will be able to trade into them during Jan - Mar.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I have traded into NCV & FSA countless times. They are the cream of the crop in Southern Cal. I am confident that the resort in question will be able to trade into them during Jan - Mar.

Me too. I currently have an exchange into NCV for Jan 2018 using a lower quality (MF about $650), non-Marriott low season week that has a TDI in the 75 range.

I know nothing of FSA but I imagine the same rules apply.

Indeed it does. I used the same week last year to exchange into FSA (Four Seasons Aviara). Both exchanges are for Jan weeks when the weather is too cold for the locals, but pretty darn nice for those of us from further north. I wouldn't expect to get either exchange in the summer.
Bottom line; if you don't ask, you won't get and it doesn't hurt to try for an upgrade. However, you do need to be realistic and research when those deposits are likely to come through.

Sue

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Uh - no - using your home week because you couldn't get an exchange is NOT the same thing.

You know what will work everytime, guaranteed?

You get a week you want no matter what. Either the one you own or the one you exchange into.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Uh - no - using your home week because you couldn't get an exchange is NOT the same thing.
Having to use my home week because I couldn't get an exchange hasn't happened to me yet. Although I would not mind it, since I rent weeks for my personal use in my home resort every year in addition to exchanging my home week.
Everytime I request first, so far, I get what I want. I haven't had to settle.
When I did "deposit first" exchange requests in the past I did have to settle.
I know this runs counter what most exchange companies will say, but it is definately my experience.
Of course, if you don't deposit your week you run the risk of not getting a desirable exchange, but this is the case even if you do deposit your week ahead of a matching exchange. I would hope that having to use your week is better than having a deposit expire.
The other nice thing about "request first" exchange requests is that you can do several requests against the same week in different exchange companies. I use II, RCI, SFX, DAE, and TPI for request first exchanges regularly all at once against the same week. This can't be done if you deposit your week first. Once a match comes through, I then cancel all other requests.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Devil's Advocate Here: The TDI just shows the demand for an entire region.

It does not show the trading power for a specific resort.

Since the OP has deposited with RCI before, his trading power in RCI is a more accurate indicator of his resort's trading power than the TDI chart.

But I agree - it is probably too early for a 2019 exchange. Many (most?) II resorts cannot be deposited until 12 mos. before check-in.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
RCI Tpu value is not necessarily an indicator how it will trade in II. I had a summer week in NH that only got 18 TPUs in RCI but was a very strong trader in II. In fact many of my weeks are similar.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no exact measurement of trading power in II, because II doesn't disclose that info, but I don't think the TDI of an entire region should be considered to be the trading value of one resort.