• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disappointed with II

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we first bought it was a 3 year trial membership in Cabo. After 3 years when we upgraded to a regular 30 year membership they credited the money we paid for the trial membership. Also this was during the last major recession. Tourists were down in a major way and no one was buying. Maintenance Fees were waived for the life of the 30 year Contract. Then when we upgraded so we could use it year round except for special Holiday Weeks and a larger double room they carried over the no Maintenance Fees. So we have 3 weeks in even numbered years and 4 weeks in odd numbered years. They also included 30 weeks we can deposit into RCI with no deposit fee that are extra and do not reduce the number of weeks we can stay each year.

lgreenspan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chetola Resort (#5117)
calendar.png
26 DAYS UNTIL YOUR HOLIDAY

El Cid La Ceiba Beach (#6701)
calendar.png
146 DAYS UNTIL YOUR HOLIDAY

Little Gull (#0865)
calendar.png
251 DAYS UNTIL YOUR HOLIDAY

Misty Harbor Resort Condominium (#1257)
calendar.png
335 DAYS UNTIL YOUR HOLIDAY

Mizner Place (#7559)
calendar.png
461 DAYS UNTIL YOUR HOLIDAY

Maui Lea at Mau

This is my current list of upcoming vacations thru RCI. I will need to learn the II system. I always try to stay flexible and let our timeshares take us where the best resorts available are. We have visited a few places I would never had gone if not for timeshare but I have never visited a timeshare that I didnt enjoy the trip.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... I use II, RCI, SFX, DAE, and TPI for request first exchanges regularly all at once against the same week. This can't be done if you deposit your week first. Once a match comes through, I then cancel all other requests.

I don't believe RCI offers 'Request First' as an exchange option, at least in weeks. Would be great if it did, though.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I.I. trading has worked quite well for us since 2006. We always use 'deposit first' and request a year or more out. Our deposited units have been Marriott Grande Vista (gold 2BR) and Festive units (usually 1BR, but sometimes 2BR). Once we deposited a Westin Lagunamar 2BR gold unit. Most of our requests are for shoulder season travel. Can't complain at all.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe RCI offers 'Request First' as an exchange option, at least in weeks. Would be great if it did, though.
I'm an Rci points owner.

I mostly put in searches with only a few points left in my account, and do points-for-deposit later, if I see that a request has a higher than average chance of matching.

BUT, it seems that you can do a Request first in RCI weeks as long as you have as few as 1 TPU left in your account.

Apparently they only forbid request first exchange requests if you have no TPUs left in your account.

I got this information from an RCI agent. Someone should verify it and post about it.

Last edited:

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of our requests are for shoulder season travel. Can't complain at all.
For shoulder season travel I'd give serious consideration to renting and using ACs.
Might be cheaper though it might be more work, having to check on your what ACs pull and/or available getaways.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
FWIW, we have received great shoulder season trades as well. We always deposit first, but we're never planning on staying at our resorts in the first place anyway. We mostly trade for Hawaii and have only stayed in Marriott's or Westin (also Hilton but through RCI). For a March 2019 request, you need to wait a bit longer as others have said. I doubt that the units you want have been deposited yet. Put your ongoing search in now, but also keep checking. The quality of resorts in II is much better than RCI (IMO). Give it another chance.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
"No dog in this fight", since we no longer choose to play the exchange game at all, but reading this thread brought a question to my alleged mind:
RCI requires "deposit first" before RCI members can even search for an exchange at all. As far as I know, that has always been the case with RCI Weeks.

Interval Intl, on the other hand, used to allow "search first" with (unlike RCI Weeks) no actual deposit being required first. Is that still the case? :shrug:

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
"No dog in this fight", since we no longer choose to play the exchange game at all, but reading this thread brought a question to my alleged mind:

RCI requires "deposit first" before RCI members can even search for an exchange at all, at least as far as I know.
Interval Intl used to allow "search first" with (unlike RCI) no actual deposit required first. Is that still the case? :shrug:

That is still the case. One thing to note with RCI, even if you haven't deposited a particular week that you want to use you can search all of RCI available deposited inventory as long as you have at least 1 tpu in your account that is good through the dates you are searching manually. If you don't have anything you can always have another RCI member look for you and tell you the tpu requirement for any current online availability

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is still the case. One thing to note with RCI, even if you haven't deposited a particular week that you want to use you can search all of RCI available deposited inventory as long as you have at least 1 tpu in your account that is good through the dates you are searching manually. If you don't have anything you can always have another RCI member look for you and tell you the tpu requirement for any current online availability

OK, I can see that's another type of 'Request First.' To me 'Request First' has always meant you weren't yet a member, but wanted to see the inventory ahead of time before you join & deposit. Different perspectives make the world go 'round! :)