• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help selling my Marriott Vacation Club and Grand Mayan timeshares

CS-Atl

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a reliable resource to help sell me sell 2 two-bedroom timeshares - Marriott Vacation Club Orlando and Grupo Mayan Mexico? It is all so complicated and I am in need of someone who can facilitate the process. I have just remained stuck doing nothing for fear of getting scammed!
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can't post the details here but you need to know and post all the details in order to sell. For the Marriott is it trust points or a deeded week? What is the resort, season and view if applicable. What are the MF's?

For the Mayan week it is even more difficult. Things like the transfer fee would be contained in your original contract. Depending on when you bought the transfer fee could be a single MF, 5X's the current MF, or a percentage of the original purchase price. You also need to know which aspects of your contract when transferring as various provisions do not transfer and the new owner isn't buying what you have but what Vidant says contractually transfers.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

CS-Atl

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies! I was hoping maybe there was someone who could decipher my contracts and facilitate the sale.

Both timeshares are 2 bedroom.

Grand Mayan purchased in 2003 - floating Red week (excludes Christmas, New Year's, Holy week and Easter)
1 week+1 vacation week +10 breakaway weeks

MVCI purchased in 2001 - Marriott Harbour Lake Orlando, Gold Week 18-21, 35 - 50

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The ability to sell your Grande Mayan week will depend on a lot of things like tschwa2 said. You will probably need to pull out your original contract if you still have it. Where is this property located? I think there are several Grand Mayan properties (Cabo, Nuevo, Riveria Maya).

Your Harbour Lake week is probably much easier to sell or get rid of. It doesn't have the value that it had when you bought it. Marriott resales is listing these right now on their resales website for $5400. If you were to call them and they were to offer you a listing for the same price, you would end up with $3240 after Marriott resales 40% commission. That is definitely the way to go as you won't get that much out on the open market.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Your Harbour Lake week is probably much easier to sell or get rid of. It doesn't have the value that it had when you bought it. Marriott resales is listing these right now on their resales website for $5400. If you were to call them and they were to offer you a listing for the same price, you would end up with $3240 after Marriott resales 40% commission. That is definitely the way to go as you won't get that much out on the open market.

I don't know that Harbour Lake will sell that easily. I have been trying to get my platinum week on the list for about 6 months. Every month and a half, I email reminding the resale dept. that I want to list, and every time they say they have too many listed but will contact me when they are accepting new listings. I have it listed in the Marketplace for less than annual MF plus closing costs and annual fee if you want 2017 and have had no bites.
It doesn't mean you shouldn't try with Marriott resales because maybe gold is going faster than platinum, but I wouldn't count on a fast transaction. Also you still want to make sure you reserve a 2017 week. If Marriott lists they will either cover the cost on the sale or refund your payment.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know that Harbour Lake will sell that easily. I have been trying to get my platinum week on the list for about 6 months. Every month and a half, I email reminding the resale dept. that I want to list, and every time they say they have too many listed but will contact me when they are accepting new listings. I have it listed in the Marketplace for less than annual MF plus closing costs and annual fee if you want 2017 and have had no bites.
It doesn't mean you shouldn't try with Marriott resales because maybe gold is going faster than platinum, but I wouldn't count on a fast transaction. Also you still want to make sure you reserve a 2017 week. If Marriott lists they will either cover the cost on the sale or refund your payment.
I would have thought Harbour Lake would be a good Hybrid Package pairing. Gold being 1,950 DC points would mean someone could buy a small 2000 points package and get a relatively cheap resale that could be enrolled. I don't think Platinum is that many more points, but perhaps not at attractive for Hybrid Packages.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your Grand Mayan membership, if a 2003 contract, may very well be one of those with a low transfer fee of just one maintenance fee. Not entirely positive, but as others have said, you'll need to check the contract. You could try to sell it for a very small fee, but honestly I think you may have to give it away if it doesn't include holidays. Post it here in Bargain Deals for free.

Re. location, the Grupo memberships are not fixed at one location--members can use at any location.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cannot comment on your Grand Mayan timeshare. But definitely list it on TUG. I have sold 2 timeshare on TUG, one about 3 years ago, and the 2nd one a week ago, and interest in a 3rd, which I just pulled when we decided not to sell. The 3rd is a Marriott, which Marriott resales department indicated that it is waitlisted and the ones listed are not moving. Marriott indicated that if I want I can deed it back, which is not my desire. We will continue to use it for a while.

Be realistic on the pricing if you want to sell, and then be patient. Continue to check and compare your competition in TUG, Redweek and other sites to make sure you are not pricing too high. I painfully dropped the price on my 2nd listing because I got impatient. Then I got 3 separate offers last week. I could have gotten more but I just wanted to move on.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have thought Harbour Lake would be a good Hybrid Package pairing. Gold being 1,950 DC points would mean someone could buy a small 2000 points package and get a relatively cheap resale that could be enrolled. I don't think Platinum is that many more points, but perhaps not at attractive for Hybrid Packages.

I'm surprised as well. Harbour Lake was one that I kept trying to buy but it kept failing when ROFR was on full. I assumed recently that it was moving through resales. Rather than email every month or so I would call weekly. I have a hard time believing they aren't moving those units and the squeaky wheel probably gets it.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
RE - Grand Mayan - if you cannot find the original contract you can get a PDF copy emailed to you .

Contact Vidanta Member Services in Nuevo Valarta.
You will need the contract number .

Since it is a 2003 contract- the bonus week (Vacation Fare) may transfer to a new owner.

Vidanta contracts can transfer to family members without the transfer cost fees - since they were sold as 100 year RTU and very few of us will last that long from purchase. You can also walk away at the 25 year mark when the renewal for 5 x MF occurs.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you Please explain what you mean?
Hybrid package?
How can you enroll a Resale?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A Hybrid package is when someone purchases 2000+ points along with a week being sold by Marriott brokered resale department. You can enroll the week and along with the points it brings the cost per new point down. EOY weeks seem to fly like hotcakes due to the hybrid package. It doesn't do anything for those that already own post 2010 weeks.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Hybrid package is when someone purchases 2000+ points along with a week being sold by Marriott brokered resale department. You can enroll the week and along with the points it brings the cost per new point down. EOY weeks seem to fly like hotcakes due to the hybrid package. It doesn't do anything for those that already own post 2010 weeks.

So if I buy a week from Marriott's Resale Department. I can then enroll that resale week. Cool--does that give me the points equal to the week for elite status?

In the example above, I would buy a Gold Harbour Lake week for $5400 from Marriott Resales (none are available right now).

That Gold week would equate to 1950 DC points @ $13.75 per point = $26,812.50 to buy them.

To get to my true buy-in cost, I would add those two figures together to be
$5400 for the week + $26812.50 for the points = $32,212.50.

Am I correct?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You would have to buy the gold Harbour Lake week for $5,400, plus 2,000 DC points for about $27,500. So for $32,900, you would have what is equivalent to 3,950 DC points. That works to about $8.33 per point. A deal compared to the regular price, but you have one enrolled week and separate trust points.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using the above example, if ICY want to buy what the OP wants to sell, why not contact Marriott resales and try to negotiate with a willing sales rep? It would certainly be little effort on the reps part. OP sells week, ICY gets points from enrolled week and sales rep gets easy commission.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would need Marriott to offer the OP some $. I could buy a platinum week for $8400. If I read the posts correctly, even though Marriott is not showing any gold annual contracts, they are not buying any of them back either.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would have to buy the gold Harbour Lake week for $5,400, plus 2,000 DC points for about $27,500. So for $32,900, you would have what is equivalent to 3,950 DC points. That works to about $8.33 per point. A deal compared to the regular price, but you have one enrolled week and separate trust points.

I have a few enrolled weeks. I also have 2 points contracts that I bought directly from Marriott. As far as I know, in my MVCI account, they are all lumped together.

Why would it be meaningful to distinguish between my "Enrolled Points" pile and my "Purchased Points" pile?

Bill4728

Reaction score
I have a few enrolled weeks. I also have 2 points contracts that I bought directly from Marriott. As far as I know, in my MVCI account, they are all lumped together.

Why would it be meaningful to distinguish between my "Enrolled Points" pile and my "Purchased Points" pile?
Most the time it doesn't matter if they "legacy" (pts from enrolled weeks ) or "trust" points. BUT sometimes at 13 months you may need all trust pts. If you're using your pts at 12 months, I don't believe MVC cares were the pts come from

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most the time it doesn't matter if they "legacy" (pts from enrolled weeks ) or "trust" points. BUT sometimes at 13 months you may need all trust pts. If you're using your pts at 12 months, I don't believe MVC cares were the pts come from

I'm not getting this. At 13 months my enrolled points wouldn't be usable. That's horrible. I didn't know that.

What's the point of giving me the 13 month perk if I can't use my enrolled points to make a reservation?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how this works truthfully!

In the past, I've been able to reserve anything I wanted at 13 months, given resort availability, using a combo of trust and enrolled points.

rdueck

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradise Village, Mayan Sea Garden Acapulco,, Bell Air Resorts and Spas Nuevo Vallarta
RE - Grand Mayan - if you cannot find the original contract you can get a PDF copy emailed to you .

Since it is a 2003 contract- the bonus week (Vacation Fare) may transfer to a new owner.

Vidanta contracts can transfer to family members without the transfer cost fees - since they were sold as 100 year RTU and very few of us will last that long from purchase. You can also walk away at the 25 year mark when the renewal for 5 x MF occurs.
How do you walk away at the 25 year mark?

CS-Atl

Reaction score

Can you explain how you can walk away at 25 year mark? Thanks!