• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice at the Grand Mayan, Nuevo Vallarta

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a member of TUG for many years and know all about buying on the 2ndary market. I have saved many friends and turned then on to TUG. And yet, here I am in the Grand Mayan, a Vida/Vidanta Resort in Nuevo Vallarta getting sucked in. Knowing I would have 5 days to rescind, I signed up figuring I would write to TUG for help right away.

So here is the deal: They take my Marriott 2 BR lockout at the Desert Springs Villas away from me (current MF close to $1400. I have only traded my 2 bedrooms for single weeks in Interval and have never stayed at my Marriott. I am not at all dissatisfied with my Marriott but thought this might be a better deal) For this deal I get 2 weeks at the Grand Mayan, 1 bedroom each, at any of Vidantas 7 Mexican resorts for 100 years plus a 3rd week for 10 years, plus 2 more weeks, 2 bedrooms each, using SFX exchange company. But this is considered a Residence and not a T/S so I do not give up any weeks to SFX (this concerns me. Why would SFX give me any priority if I am not giving them any inventory?) I only pay MF when I use the weeks. ($1000 for each of the 3 weeks at a Grand Mayan and up to $900 to SFX for a 2 BR or up to $700 to SFX for a 1 BR) I currently pay Marriott whether I use my weeks or not, of course. But if I elect to not use any of the new weeks, there is no MF
The cost would be $12,250 + 1500 closing costs +$2200 tax (about $16,000) + my 2BR Marriott.

And here is the bait: They have an Ambassador program. I am given 10 certificates for a free 1 week stay at the Grand Mayan in a 1 BR unit per year. I give these away to charities to use in their annual silent auctions. I receive $300 for every person who bids on a vacation and makes a reservation. They do not have to go to a sales presentation, but if they do and purchase, I get $500 commission. This commission increases per sale based on how many sales are made. So if all 10 certificates are redeemed, I get $3000 + any commissions based on sales. So let’s say only 5 certificates are redeemed at the charity auctions and there are 2 sales, that could equal $2500 per year to offset the $16,000 cost.

So 4-5 weeks vacations: 2 at a Vida resort x 100 years, 1 week at Vida for 10years, 2 weeks of 2 bedrooms at SFX plus the Ambassador program that could ultimately pay the $16,000. This is the only Vidanta resort I have stayed at and it is beautiful. Hopefully the rest are of this quality. I have never used SFX, so that is also a concern.

Waddaya think? I have 5 days from today (Tuesday March 1) to rescind.
Thanks,
Jeff

Solski

TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND lol just went thru this it don't make sense and that ambassadors program I do not believe it works well but they sure build it up like a big fat carrot that being said a. Beautiful resort but I felt uncomfortable because of the caste system imposed with the bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Rescind asap.

Lockoff your Marriott in Interval and get two weeks.

Join SFX for free and get access to the same cash bonus weeks.

There are lots of stories on here of people trading in timeshares for Mexico properties and the transactions never complete, only to find themselves still owning a year later.

Do you really want to become a shill for Vidanta by giving these coupons to charities and providing them with more fodder for their high pressure sales pitch?

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Get out while you still can! You've been around TUG long enough to know better.

First off, don't count on them "getting rid" of your other timeshare. They'll put you in touch with a third party who will charge you another hefty fee to advertise your timeshare (maybe) and you'll likely be stuck with it and the maintenance fee that goes with it.

Second, why would you subject even your worst enemy let alone any friend or charity auction donor to a timeshare presentation down there? How could you even trust them to pay you a commission for all the leads you'll provide them?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Korndoc, in case there are any questions, re-read Karen G's post over and over. As many times as it takes.

The only thing you can be sure of in an offer like theirs, is that it's good for them. Not you.

Jim

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind asap.

Exactly what I was thinking. Grand Mayans come up regularly on the sell-off list. And for exchanges.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Value - Marriot Desert Springs

Rescind asap.

There are lots of stories on here of people trading in timeshares for Mexico properties and the transactions never complete, only to find themselves still owning a year later.

Do you really want to become a shill for Vidanta by giving these coupons to charities and providing them with more fodder for their high pressure sales pitch?

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

value of Marriott Desert Springs
I just scanned eBay sold -high was week 52 - $8K - winter weeks up to $3K
summer weeks $ 1 and change . In recent times Vidanta / Vida / Mayan has worked with 3 rd party resellers ( sell on eBay) and most "trade ins " happened successfully ..
A Marriott will get " moved " although you could probably do it yourself on TUG or similar .( Could cost you 2016 MF ) If you go the trade in route make sure that it stipulates IN WRITING that Vidanta / Vida or their " partner are responsible for all costs including all transfers fees MF etc .

In Feb 2016 I did speak to a gentleman who bought Bliss level in 2014/15 and traded in a small Banff Alberta resort . He told me that "Global" ( 3rd party reseller ) had it for a year with no sale ( Hey - even the $1 on eBay ones do not always find a buyer ) He then called the HOA in Alberta and was lucky enough to have them agree to take it back for free .
It is to Vidanta / Vida advantage to take trade ins and ( generally ) have a third party dispose of them professionally . The old days of ending up with two are a lot less likely - particularly when we are talking Marriott.

Re : The shill issue - personally I am uncomfortable with it as well .
I am sure that you will get money from them - but when it stops working for Vidanta the program will end . It is a carrot and if it grows more carrots - they are the big winner and you remain the shill .

If you buy developer - buy to use the property in Jan / Feb - when availability is hard to find at most good resorts that are in sunny warm places .
.March - Dec you can trade in / rent from owner etc and do not need to buy .( unless you want some owner amenities -- ie low cost golf etc /which you specifically negotiate

To USE in Jan / Feb make sure the contract has a booking window of at least 6 months and that this is in place for all renewals in the RTU - not just the first 10 years . This may require a written Addendum from member services if it is not already in the contract
Rescind if not given .

Last edited:

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Korndoc-
Much f the advice given is coming from non Vida owners that are highly prejudiced. We traded in many timeshares and they were disposed of by Global after I kept contacting them. The mf's did go away, so our purchase paid for itself in less than 3 years since we had the "no pay if you don't use it" clause as well and reduced our mf outlay by about $9000/year. Be aware that there are also mandatory fees for updating the units every few years. That timing depends upon your contract.
Your one bedroom GM may be the hotel side or the suite side. Check it out.
As for the Ambassador program, it does not need to be used. You could also give it to a friend for their use, or rent it to them for a small fee and recoup some of you money. Charitable deductions are doubtful.
Rescind if you have qualms, or enjoy your purchase if you are content with the deal.
Full disclosure, we own a Grand Luxxe Loft unit, so have been drinking the koolaid for a number of years. We know that the money is gone forever, and enjoy ourselves when we go.
Good luck in deciding!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Korndoc-
Much f the advice given is coming from non Vida owners that are highly prejudiced. !
As one of the non-Vida owners who has given advice in this thread I freely admit that I am prejudiced! Based on the myriad number of people who have posted in this forum their horror stories of being duped by Mexican timeshare salesmen, if someone posts that they wonder if they have made a good deal and they are with in their rescission time period, I advise that they rescind while they still can. After doing more research and giving the matter a lot more thought, they can always go back and make another deal. But if they don't rescind, they are stuck with it.

Of course it is a matter of personal choice and everyone is free to do whatever they want to. But if they ask I'll give them my opinion.

As the owner of a Mexican timeshare for the last 18 years, I do wish that I did not have as many years left on the RTU contract. But I am thankful that it was for only 29 years and not 100 years.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Korndoc-
Full disclosure, we own a Grand Luxxe Loft unit, so have been drinking the koolaid for a number of years. We know that the money is gone forever.....

To continue the quote that Karen snipped regarding comments from non-owners.

This continuation from one who admits ownership.

Owning is fine, as long as one has full disclosure of the details of the deal, and is comfortable with them. All too often, though, the facts that new buyers get from Vida's salesweasels lack in this.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
All advise - if valid - iis or can be useful

As one of the non-Vida owners who has given advice in this thread I freely admit that I am prejudiced! Based on the myriad number of people who have posted in this forum their horror stories of being duped by Mexican timeshare salesmen, if someone posts that they wonder if they have made a good deal and they are with in their rescission time period, I advise that they rescind while they still can. After doing more research and giving the matter a lot more thought, they can always go back and make another deal. But if they don't rescind, they are stuck with it.

Of course it is a matter of personal choice and everyone is free to do whatever they want to. But if they ask I'll give them my opinion.

As the owner of a Mexican timeshare for the last 18 years, I do wish that I did not have as many years left on the RTU contract. But I am thankful that it was for only 29 years and not 100 years.

Karen ,
I think all advise can be helpful .
As a Mayan Palace owner who had a trade in - that did not go through - in pre 2008'( small Canadian Vacation Club / limited mkt & before I found TUG ) I fully understand that once upon a time many were left on the hook owning 2 TS .
I believe that rarely happens now because the third party resellers can sell most on eBay and ( GET IT IN WRITING ) Vidanta pays Global ( from the money you pay ) to cover the cost & Global' profit .

I spoke to lots of owners in Feb 2016 -and posted the story of the Bliss buyer and the Banff Alberta " trade in " to make it clear that there are TS properties that may not sell , even for $1 . That gentleman was lucky in that the resort took it back - no charge . Perhaps it was a decent summer week in a small HOA . He no longer wanted to visit Alberta but perhaps the HOA could use it -as Banff is busy then ( I did not ask details of resort or week )

Karen - the Vidanta contracts renew periodically ( 10 yrs ( newer ones / 25 yrs older ones like mine etc ) and so no one has to remain with them for 100 yrs of RTU .
With the " no go/ no pay " clause - which is common in Vidanta contracts you have an exit strategy built into the purchase . For you at year 18 it sounds like you wish your PB had something similar built in .
The " no go / no pay " combined with the Vidanta transfer cost is why very few are showing up on eBay these days ( none I can find so far in 2016 ) Pueblo Bonita's are regularly for sale on TUG and eBay . If you can no longer travel - but have no MF there is no need to sell . Yes you are wasting the prepayment for
weeks in your contract - but that is sunk money . Yearly new money for something you can no longer use is what drives the resale market and the scammers who promise to rid people of unwanted TS .

When we stayed at the Mayan Palace - Marina PV this Feb (2016) it was full . It was also fully booked for the rest of Feb & March ( including 2 Easter weeks / Mexican holidays ) Most people I talked to were long time owners who live in cold winter climate areas . They own so they can be in Mexican sunshine in Feb .
Our second week was Mayan Sea Garden Neuvo - which we also really liked - because of it's smaller size . First stay on the Nayarit side of the Ameca River .

Owning for FEB can makes sense ( less exchange availability )
Owning for MAY - why - easy to exchange into Mexico,.

If any TUG members are regularly ( 2014 and more recent) getting FEBRUARY exchanges into Vidanta PV & NV resorts please post . I believe the mantra of "easy to exchange into " is mostly for March - Dec. - but this an opinion / guess .

SFX and Vida Weeks - this program is often packaged as a part of new sales .
( we did a Feb owners update - and it was about upgrade, benefits and the Ambassadors / certificates but not Vida weeks & SFX .)

I believe SFX / Vida Weeks are a bonus week program . You get the week as a bonus when you buy . It can only be used to exchange and if done you pay SFX a fee for use . I think Vidanta wishes to get away from mass developer deposits into RCI and this is a " work around " that gives every buyer at least a week to use at a Vidanta resort and a week to exchange if you want . Every week exchanged into SFX has the potential to bring Vidanta a new sales lead . Buyer and developer win - and you no longer see 300 weeks (May- Dec weeks showing up on RCI
That is my guess on the goals of this SFX -Vidanta collaboration .
Anyone have further information .? or thought .

Knowledge is Power / I want more Knowledge

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks T-Dot for the info. Yes, I would like that feature of no-go no-pay!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
No pay / no go,

It was the hook that got me / us to buy

It has worked out well considering how little we knew

For 2 years I put our week in RCI and then let it expire . In 2010 we decided we should stop wasting money and use . Called reservations in January and was able to get Mazatlan Sea Garden for Febuary ( Acapulco was also available ) I do not think I had heard of Maz but our 2 sons ( early 20's at the time) who came on that vacation said Acapulco had a party reputation so "we " might like Maz better .

Puerto Vallarta remains our favorite and we are now past vacation day 50 in that
PV sunshine ( 3 or 4 were cloudy - but still wonderfully warm and never a drop of rain . )

I have learned a lot from reading TUG
Trying to pass it on .

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

We were at M.P. Regency Mazatlan in Jan. and went to the more-or-less obligatory presentation for the required thumbscrew session after breakfast. Their main 'selling point' was this 'no-go no-pay' thing. I said, 'Huh? If I don't buy, I don't pay anything if I don't rent, exchange, or Last Call into your resort. Why should I pay tens of thousands of dollars for the same deal?' And if I can't rent, exchange or whatever, there are other resorts where I can.

Jim

rpennisi

Reaction score
We were at M.P. Regency Mazatlan in Jan. and went to the more-or-less obligatory presentation for the required thumbscrew session after breakfast. Their main 'selling point' was this 'no-go no-pay' thing. I said, 'Huh? If I don't buy, I don't pay anything if I don't rent, exchange, or Last Call into your resort. Why should I pay tens of thousands of dollars for the same deal?' And if I can't rent, exchange or whatever, there are other resorts where I can.

Jim
I had a similar presentation offer as you did at GM Acapulco this past January. We own 2 MP contracts (Ebay). The proposal was pay the remainder of your contract up front (all the MFs estimated, 5 year renos and 5X renewal at end of 25 years) and I would get no pay if no go at the GM. i almost laughed and turned down their deal.

I use all our weeks. Mostly I deposit into RCI and trade for GM or other wonderful Mexican resorts (no AI) for the price of MP MF plus around 200 to trade, still way below the GM MF cost and NO UPFRONT 1000's.

Feb, March may be hard to get, but so far not January.

Also, and this is important but you never see it mentioned, you can book beyond the 6 months and even beyond the 12 months that Vidanta contracts give you.

Ron

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We were at M.P. Regency Mazatlan in Jan.

Jim

Hi Jim ,
I know from reading other posts that you generally visit Mazatlan annually .
I assume this was an exchange . Can you update if all of prime Jan / Feb was available when you made an exchange and how long ago you booked ( approx)

My sense is that Mayan Palace Acapulco and Mazatlan are not hard to find even for prime winter .
but that MP -PV -Marina ( location location location ) - as they say in real estate ,
and the Neuvo resorts are more difficult .

Any info would be appreciated .
No go / no pay - is probably worth $ 2000- 3000 based on the average cost to exit a timeshare ie current year MF + closing cost + transfer fee .
I am basing this on the many eBay sales where these are listed as " seller paid"
savings to the new buyer/ owner .

Using it as an exit strategy can simplify a life change situation .
It alone is not worth a 16 K purchase
but if someone chooses to buy Vidanta and asks - I would advise them to make sure they have it WRITEN in the contract - since it is a fairly common Vida Vacation addendum and offsets the high transfer cost they instituted (to get their product off eBay ) but which also makes it hard to dispose of - if future life changes were to prevent vacation use of your RTU week(s)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim ,
I know from reading other posts that you generally visit Mazatlan annually .
I assume this was an exchange . Can you update if all of prime Jan / Feb was available when you made an exchange and how long ago you booked ( approx)

Yes, it was an exchange. Iirc it was in Aug/Sept-ish. One week using RCI Points and one using Trading Places. I can't say whether all of 2 months were offered, but it wasn't real difficult to book 2 consecutive weeks in that timeframe. We didn't have to move at all. One observation; exchangers seemed to get 'highway view', and we were told, "We're all full" when I inquired about the possibility of moving to ocean view, even at the presentation.

Nice enough resort, but we won't make any effort to return.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Yes, it was an exchange. Iirc it was in Aug/Sept-ish. One week using RCI Points and one using Trading Places. I can't say whether all of 2 months were offered, but it wasn't real difficult to book 2 consecutive weeks in that timeframe. We didn't have to move at all. One observation; exchangers seemed to get 'highway view', and we were told, "We're all full" when I inquired about the possibility of moving to ocean view, even at the presentation.

Nice enough resort, but we won't make any effort to return.

Haven't stayed at MP in Mazatlan, but the PB in Mazatlan was very good, and the PB at Emerald Bay was great. Both traded on RCI with MP deposits for Jan 2015. PB has a free hourly shuttle from Emerald Bay to PB Mazatlan which is terrific.

I doubt MP offers a free shuttle, and the location puts it out of the way in my opinion.
Ron

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't stayed at MP in Mazatlan, but the PB in Mazatlan was very good, and the PB at Emerald Bay was great. Both traded on RCI with MP deposits for Jan 2015. PB has a free hourly shuttle from Emerald Bay to PB Mazatlan which is terrific.

I doubt MP offers a free shuttle, and the location puts it out of the way in my opinion.
Ron

Yeah. I'm well versed in Maz, having gone there nearly 30 years. I prefer PB Maz to PBEB. Emerald Bay is waaay too far from the city- 100 pesos minimum in a taxi to enjoy the city. As a self contained resort, I suppose it's OK. Mayan is an older property- about 40 years. We were told the Sea Garden is coming down to build a Grand Luxxe (of some other higher tier lodging) on it's footprint. The place is landlocked by residences, so is small by M.P. standards. You're right, there is no shuttle anywhere from M.P. but the city buses go right by for 7-to 10 pesos, and taxis are always out front. The Pueblo Bonito shuttles are hourly, and no grocery bags or luggage is allowed- reducing their utility.

There are beaucoup other resorts in the hotel zone, including Costa de Oro, Inn at Mazatlán, El Cid and on and on, so one needn't think that the two listed above are the only game in town. There are also many many VRBO's on the Centro Historico, which is truly where you ought to want to be anyway.

Jim

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tom
If you go the trade in route make sure that it stipulates IN WRITING that Vidanta / Vida or their " partner are responsible for all costs including all transfers fees MF etc
-I do pay fees, $850 for the transfer But after reading yours and some other TUG answers, I read the Global contract to transfer my Marriott away from me and it says they will "any weeks banked with II" is included in the equity they are taking. Well that will be 2 years of 2 weeks each currently booked plus my 2016 week(s) that I have not yet claimed with Marriott. I am checking that out now but that will be a deal breaker

"If you buy developer - buy to use the property in Jan / Feb - when availability is hard to find at most good resorts that are in sunny warm places ."
good point tough to get these winter weeks anywhere warm with my winter marriott at Palm Desert I do have 8 month pre-booking for the original week and 6 month pre-booking for the bonus week. Also, a bit concerned and I am checking: the contract says I get one registered week and a 2nd promotional Grand Collection Week at a sister resort every year. I need to know if that means only at one of the other resorts in Mexico or also here at Nuevo Vallarta
I am checking to be sure this extends on the original week and the bonus week every 10 year renewal as you suggested.

Thanks
Jeff
(can someone tell me how to quote parts of a response for my reply? I was only able to "quote" the first line in this reply. I think that is why I lost my private message to you, Tom)

Last edited:

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your one bedroom GM may be the hotel side or the suite side. Check it out./QUOTE]

Thanks drguy
It is the 1 BR suite side for the original week plus the bonus week and 2 BR, two weeks in SFX no annual charge for SFX but $700-900 when using a 2BR through SFX
Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hi:

Hi Karen I do appreciate your thoughts
Interestingly, this contract is a no use, no pay contract so I can skip a year with no charges and if there are hidden charges, I can opt out after 10 years by not paying the $1000 fee at that time

Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe SFX.......gives every buyer at least a week to use at a Vidanta resort and a week to exchange if you want . Every week exchanged into SFX has the potential to bring Vidanta a new sales lead .

Tom,I do not have to give up or exhange either of my 2 Vida weeks to use SFX.
Vida pays the annual fee and I just put in my request without giving up anything. yeah, I still don't understand it bu I did double check that one
Jeff

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding No Go No Pay: if someone chooses to buy Vidanta and asks - I would advise them to make sure they have it WRITEN in the contract - since it is a fairly common Vida Vacation addendum

Contract says you pay the user fees when you reserve a week. Does not specifically say there is no fee if not used, but there is no mention of other annual fees either Just the additional user fee once every 10 years
Jeff

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:hi:

Hi Karen I do appreciate your thoughts
Interestingly, this contract is a no use, no pay contract so I can skip a year with no charges and if there are hidden charges, I can opt out after 10 years by not paying the $1000 fee at that time

Jeff
if you did decide to opt out after 10 years, is it worth what you are paying for just 10 years worth of use? When I said I wish my current ownership had a no go no pay feature, that is not something that would have been an incentive for me to buy a timeshare originally.