• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] getting rid of starwood vacation ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

122707Wilsons

Reaction score
I would like to know how I can get rid of my Starwood vacation ownership. I am up to date with my payments and my maintenance fees. but I still owe s8,000 to own it outright.

Our home resort is in Palm Desert the Desert Willow. It is a two bedroom lockoff, and i get 56000 points ever other year. on odd years. it is vacation period 30, and we are gold membership.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, there is no way to unload it unless you are willing to pay it off.

-Balance owed is too high
-The Staroptions and Starpoints and gold membership don't transfer to the new owner when you resale it.
-Off-season
-Can be acquired on the resale market for free

If you can take the hit on your credit rating, you can stop making the payments and eventually they will foreclose on you, and take it back. But it will probably take 2 years, and in the meantime, they won't make it pleasant. You may be turned over to collections, and it may damage your credit rating.

*What were your goals when you bought this timeshare - maybe we can help you with that.

Last edited:

122707Wilsons

Reaction score
It looked like a good deal at the time but after looking into this it is far to expensive for one week every other year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
is there anyone who can help me with this?

There isn't - you signed a legally binding contract, just like any other credit purchase, and the only way out is to pay it off, and then get rid of it, or go through foreclosure.

Unfortunately, it's almost never a good deal to buy from the developer, but a lot of us have done it (me!) and survived.

Is it a financial hardship for you, or you just regret buying it?

One action that you may want to consider is refinancing it, and lowering your interest rate with a home equity loan, rather than the developer's loan.

Last edited:

122707Wilsons

Reaction score
do we just stop paying or do we contact them and let them know of our intention to stop payment.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
do we just stop paying or do we contact them and let them know of our intention to stop payment.

It doesn't matter - if you stop paying, they will contact you.

You may want to try offering them a "deed back in lieu of foreclosure." That means instead of going through foreclosure, you will deed it back to them.

It's a long shot, but since the resort is still in active sales, they might consider it.

However, they'd rather have your money, than the deed back, so it's a long shot.

Last edited:

122707Wilsons

Reaction score
both, a financial hardship and we do regret putting ourselves in this situation.

122707Wilsons

Reaction score
We were awarded 45000 SPG points when we bought the timeshare, or do we lose them if we don't use.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
*You may be approached by some shady companies who promise the they can rescue you from this situation. This is usually a scam - no one can get you out of the mortgage payments. Be aware that getting rid of the timeshare, doesn't get rid of the loan.

In other words, you could easily sign the timeshare over to someone, but you'd still owe the payments - the loan is separate.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
both, a financial hardship and we do regret putting ourselves in this situation.

Question is, do you regret it enough to go through collection, legal ramifications that might include garnishment, foreclosure, and a 100 to 200 point hit to your credit for 7 or more years.

Me, I'd just hike up my big-boy pants, refinance at lower rate, and learn how to use it. Maybe renting reservations to reduce out-of-pocket cost. You probably won't get enough rental income to zero out your cost, but it can help soften the blow a lot more than a collection/foreclosure. It would show you are an adult.

Jim

122707Wilsons

Reaction score
do we lose the SPG points that were awarded to us on the day of purchase? If we foreclose do they take those points back

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
do we lose the SPG points that were awarded to us on the day of purchase? If we foreclose do they take those points back

Probably not - but that should be the least of your concerns at this point.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So they can garnish your wages if you foreclose on the timeshare, I understand the hit that I get on the credit report if I stop paying.

If they get a legal order. It isn't mandatory that collectors pursue it, but they have the right. You signed a legal contract as an adult obligating yourself for this purchase, didn't you? And you had several days to review the contract, and show it to your lawyer, or whoever, and rescind it with no ramifications. Put affairs back as if it never happened. Right? Now you want to renege? It isn't allowed without cost. And the cost is substantial.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
The cost to allow foreclosure and the extended hit to credit I'm sure exceeds $8000. If you can pay off the loan and then give the week away that's your best bet.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Probably not - but that should be the least of your concern at this point.

^^^THIS^^^

you own $8K on an EOY WDW Gold week (ouch) - unfortunately, it has no value.
you are not only one who has found themselves in this boat.
having the $8K loan is a major problem - there is no easy way out.

you may be able to rid yourself of the week - but the loan is a problem. who is going to take on a loan on a TS that is has no value?

btw - fuzzy math puts those 45K SPs at around $1000
IMO - use them quickly - they have no bearing on your obligation - they aren't taking the week back regardless of what happens to those SPs - not even if you pay off your $8K loan

sorry

Last edited:

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood took back one of my WDW unit a few years ago. Not sure though if it was because I declared bankruptcy. They also took the100000 SPs that I got as a gift when I purchase the unit a year before. Make sure to use up your SPs if you offer them the deed in lieu of foreclosure.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood took back one of my WDW unit a few years ago. Not sure though if it was because I declared bankruptcy. They also took the100000 SPs that I got as a gift when I purchase the unit a year before. Make sure to use up your SPs if you offer them the deed in lieu of foreclosure.

Was this before or after you were elite? I always wondered how a timeshare company would handle someone who had a paid in full timeshare AND a financed one. Mainly, would they consider a person in good standing on their paid unit and only take back the financed one? I have never had a client with that exact scenario. Was that your particular situation?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
May I add a comment? (or two)

1. If you came here to get (expert) advice on your options...you've gotten it in the comments above.
    • pay it off and figure a way to reduce the cost (equity loan, rentals, use the vacation etc...)
    • attempt "deed back in lieu of foreclosure" (unlikely) and suffer any consequences
    • stop paying and face the unhappy consequences (foreclosure, credit, collectors, judgments, garnishment or bankruptcy)
  2. If anyone. ANYONE tells you they can 'make your timeshare go away' in any format short of paying off the loan (Forum, phone, email, Google ad etc...) they are either lying, stealing, cheating or scamming you. And, just because it 'disappears' today doesn't mean it won't come right back to you in 6mos or a year. *
  3. Don't even ask about donating it to charity :ignore:
  4. Jim is spot-on: Figure out ways to reduce the cost and/or use the week and then give it away once paid off.
I hope you get the information you need to make a choice that is right for you. I hope this does not turn into another thread about "...I can make your debt disappear..."

Good luck.

*there is always the super-slim chance somebody might 'assume your loan' but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was this before or after you were elite? I always wondered how a timeshare company would handle someone who had a paid in full timeshare AND a financed one. Mainly, would they consider a person in good standing on their paid unit and only take back the financed one? I have never had a client with that exact scenario. Was that your particular situation?

Before 5* but after 4*. Yes, I was in good standing in all my paid units except for one which was financed.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Before 5* but after 4*. Yes, I was in good standing in all my paid units except for one which was financed.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.