• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tablet or...

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
My DW surprised me last night by saying she wants a tablet or something like it. I must confess I have not followed that market at all and don't even know what is available, so any suggestions of a general or specific nature would be appreciated.

What she wants to do with it, (while curled up on the couch watching tv):
Check email.
Surf the internet.
Watch short videos.
Possibly use skype in the future. (not a deal breaker either way)
Have a touch screen and a keyboard.
Screen needs to stand up by itself.
Microsoft type software.

What she doesn't want to do with it:
Edit photos.
Do any "office type" work, or anything else with heavy processor use.

Thanx,
Ron

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thinkin the skype issue is the main decision maker there...as it would require a front facing camera. that would eliminate many of the cheaper intro tablets out there afaik.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
My DW surprised me last night by saying she wants a tablet or something like it. I must confess I have not followed that market at all and don't even know what is available, so any suggestions of a general or specific nature would be appreciated.

Check email.
Surf the internet.
Watch short videos.

Edit photos.

Thanx,
Ron

iPad.......

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are numerous tablets out there that are under $150 and get great reviews. Two questions: How big of screen, and does she want a keyboard?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
thinkin the skype issue is the main decision maker there...as it would require a front facing camera. that would eliminate many of the cheaper intro tablets out there afaik.

Thanx Brian. I am not overly concerned about the price, but I don't want to buy a surface pro either.

iPad.......

Thanx Phydeaux - I'm thinking probably will stay with pc compatible - I should have mentioned that to begin with. :eek:

Ron

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
iPad if (you) she is into ithings, or Amazon Kindle Fire HD (her choice on size). Kindle is what I travel with exclusively. Does email/surf web, watch movies, read books, Skype (has both front and rear cameras), durable, low cost, great customer service and support.

Added: My new one is called the Kindle Fire HD 8, ($150) and a protective stand-up case. I passed on the Bluetooth keyboard, as I don't do much typing other than TUG posts, and the virtual keyboard keeps me from getting too verbose.

Jim

Last edited:

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are numerous tablets out there that are under $150 and get great reviews. Two questions: How big of screen, and does she want a keyboard?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanx Elan. I have added several things to the requirements, including a keyboard. She is not overly concerned about size, but does want to be able to easily read/see what's on the screen while keeping it fairly light. Her complaint about our old laptop is that it's too clunky.

Ron

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazon has their Kindle Fire on a Black Friday special for $35. It's a small 7" screen though and availability may be limited, plus it's last year's model. That's a good price to get her started (for $35 - regularly $50). That will do Skype.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you (She) is really serious about being PC compatible, there is HP Stream 8 that is a Windows 10 tablet and has Office 365 built in ($70/yr 'value') for $150. Less for Black Friday.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I thought I wanted a Surface Pro, I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S and I've been very happy with it.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I wanted a Surface Pro, I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S and I've been very happy with it.

Our daughter has 2 Galaxy tabs and my wife has an iPad. I much prefer the Galaxy. Bluetooth keyboards are easy to find, but in all honesty, once you get used to it, the soft keyboard isn't terrible. you can get a case for the Galaxy (or any tablet) with a kickstand designed in, so that would satisfy the freestanding requirement.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanx Brian. I am not overly concerned about the price, but I don't want to buy a surface pro either.

Thanx Phydeaux - I'm thinking probably will stay with pc compatible - I should have mentioned that to begin with. :eek:

Ron

Based on the needs criteria from your original post, what on iPad isn't pc compatible? :confused:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Our daughter has 2 Galaxy tabs and my wife has an iPad. I much prefer the Galaxy. Bluetooth keyboards are easy to find, but in all honesty, once you get used to it, the soft keyboard isn't terrible. you can get a case for the Galaxy (or any tablet) with a kickstand designed in, so that would satisfy the freestanding requirement.

When I bought mine I got the detachable keyboard (case) for it. I've found that I don't use the keyboard hardly ever as it's not difficult to use the soft keyboard. It's not as easy as typing on a desktop, but it's still not bad.

I also thought I wanted Microsoft Word capability, but have found I really don't need it. I can still open up documents on the tablet, I just can't edit them.

What I really like is that my phone is also a Samsung, so my devices sync.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay with a Samsung tablet running Google or an iPad running iOS software. Probably a 10 inch tablet works best. So look at the iPad Air 2 or Samsung Tab 4. Skype is not an issue and works with either one. You can get a Bluetooth keyboard for either one, but I gave mine away because I never used it. It is easier to use the virtual keyboard on the tablet. I think the google software or Samsung is easier to sync with a PC and it should work best for a beginner. I have two iPads that I love. The mini is used when I travel and the Air is used around the house. The software for Apple offers more, like better backups to iCloud, find my friends, find my iPad or phone, etc... But most people never use all the things it can do. If you think she might use this tablet while traveling around town, get one that has a data plan. The best place to buy is from your cell phone company. The data feed with Tmobile cost about $10 per month in addition to your phone bill.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Black Friday will have the best price deals around at Best Buy, Walmart, Costco, etc.

If you buy at Costco, they have a great return policy. You can try it out and should you decide to return it, no problem. But only go to the above places if you don't want a data plan.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't have a data plan for my tablet (got it at Best Buy). I tend to use it at home, where we have wireless wifi, or when we're traveling (and most places we stay have wireless wifi). If I need to stay in touch while I'm out and about, I have my phone.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the needs criteria from your original post, what on iPad isn't pc compatible? :confused:

I don't have any idea. That's the reason for this post. :eek: But we are at least familiar with Windows ~ Ron

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
Mrsfussy

Don't know if this has been posted before but I was looking to see if AMEX was having the deal this year about online purchase(s) on Black Friday with a dollar amount (credit) going on your AMEX bill. Anyone know?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IPads are the Cadillacs of tablets, but at Cadillac prices. From your original email, I'm not sure you need something that sophisticated.

Kindles to some extent get you locked into Amazon software. (There are work arounds, but that takes some learning.) On the other hand, I use Chromecast to stream to my TV from my tablet, but Amazon has more available selection available for streaming.

I would go for one of the Android devices (Samsung is a possibility), but as the above indicates, I understand the other choices.

As Brian mentioned, if you want to do Skype make sure that you have a front facing camera.

You need to find out what size she would like (7", 8" or 10" screen). Smaller screens are somewhat harder to use (require more preciseness inputting) but have an advantage in being more portable. (I use a 7" which fits into my front pocket.) 10", better viewing. Regardless, I would get a stylus for inputting. (I recently picked up a pair for a buck each, but that was a real deal.)

Overall, they are awfully handy. You go to an outright computer when you want to do heavy lifting, but most of the time a tablet with a WiFi connection is just fine. - actually better than just fine, very convenient.

Good luck

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
iPad if (you) she is into ithings, or Amazon Kindle Fire HD (her choice on size). Kindle is what I travel with exclusively. Does email/surf web, watch movies, read books, Skype (has both front and rear cameras), durable, low cost, great customer service and support.

Added: My new one is called the Kindle Fire HD 8, ($150) and a protective stand-up case. I passed on the Bluetooth keyboard, as I don't do much typing other than TUG posts, and the virtual keyboard keeps me from getting too verbose.

Jim

I agree with Jim on the Kindle Fire. I bought my first one when they first came out a few years ago and got another one a few months ago. My wife uses my older one now. I use it for all the things that Jim listed plus I have the office app on it. The display is very clear and bright.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Check email.
Surf the internet.
Watch short videos.
Have a touch screen and a keyboard.
Screen needs to stand up by itself.
Microsoft type software.

Edit photos.

Thanx,
Ron
What (smart) phone does she have.