• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Borrowed Points are Now Returned to their Original Use Year

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
Yesterday I made a reservation that required about 5,000 points to be borrowed from 2016. Today, I cancelled the reservation. Unlike in the past, when those points would have now had a Dec 2015 expiration, they were returned to 2016.

I guess this must be a by product of doing away with the cancelled points and that now Wyndham can trace them back to where they originated.

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you need the 5,000 points in 2015 instead of borrowing them from 2016 rent them from Wyndham at $8.00 per 1,000 online when booking the Express reservation. You could also call in to Wyndham to rent points, but it costs more. I think it might be $10 per 1000? The points you paid for should stay in 2015.

Cynthia T. :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The process of stripping contracts of future year's points say in January for the next year must have been seriously been messing with inventory control and availability of units PLUS accelerating the number of BIG contracts going into default towards the end of their USE year.

And even then, the "stripped contracts" could have been turned over to Ovations, before defaulting.

Might be called a "well planned exit" by the owners.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
The process of stripping contracts of future year's points say in January for the next year must have been seriously been messing with inventory control and availability of units PLUS accelerating the number of BIG contracts going into default towards the end of their USE year.

And even then, the "stripped contracts" could have been turned over to Ovations, before defaulting.

Might be called a "well planned exit" by the owners.

No-more-cancelled-points does not change this.

Stripping contracts of future years' points can still be done using the Credit Pool.

If the maintenance fees on future years' points would have to be paid before Credit Pooling those points, that would change things.

Last edited:

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
No-more-cancelled-points does not change this.

Stripping contracts of future years' points can still be done using the Credit Pool.

If the maintenance fees on future years' points would have to be paid before Credit Pooling those points, that would change things.

When I turned my small contract in to Ovation, they removed the points from the credit pool associated with that contract.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I turned my small contract in to Ovation, they removed the points from the credit pool associated with that contract.

That makes sense.

I should have completed my thought, "Stripping contracts of future years' points can still be done using the Credit Pool, then spending the points and taking the vacations as soon as possible."

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
For $99 fee, this years left over points can roll over to next year.

Hey... where did that come from? Please explain, I am not aware of this option. Thanks!!!

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why pay $99 when you can credit pool for $30.00

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If it could be done, the reason would be that roll over could be done at the end of the year and CP must be done before the year or if VIP at by some point during the year.

I don't think this can be done, though.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I didn't see the $99.00 roll over. Must have attended an owner update.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can extend points deposited to RCI. As far as I know, the only way to extend the life of points in your Wyndham account is to credit pool them, subject to the applicable deadline. I don't think anyone can still pool Calendar 2015 points.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
You can extend points deposited to RCI. As far as I know, the only way to extend the life of points in your Wyndham account is to credit pool them, subject to the applicable deadline. I don't think anyone can still pool Calendar 2015 points.

I didn't think you could extend the Wyndham points deposited to RCI.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
One can deposit points up to the last day of use year, but now they are ,RCI points

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
One can deposit points up to the last day of use year, but now they are ,RCI points

They are Wyndham points deposited in RCI.

There is a major difference. RCI Point cost is variable by resort and season. Wyndham points used in RCI is the same cost for a given number of bedrooms, regardless the resort or season.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea I know, we could start debating if thier worth more or less than with Wyndham. I think not.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea I know, we could start debating if thier worth more or less than with Wyndham. I think not.

"more or less" varies with the target resort and doesn't really matter, as my point is that deposited Wyndham Points should not be called RCI Points, because someone reading this will get confused and think they have 189,000 RCI Points for their deposit.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's not the debate

In fact there is no debate
Wyndham points are in no way convertable to RCI points

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

RCI Points are an entirely different thing. They are simply Wyndham points deposited to RCI.

When i was commenting earlier about not being able to extend the points, that was in reference to Wyndham points already deposited to RCI.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Points are an entirely different thing. They are simply Wyndham points deposited to RCI.

When i was commenting earlier about not being able to extend the points, that was in reference to Wyndham points already deposited to RCI.
So what your saying is that you can't book a reservation through RCI, and then deposit it into say SFX to extend thier use?

PS.. Thanks ty1on for correcting my use of RCI points, earlier, I will call them Wyndham points deposited to RCI, I haven't used that term since your correction.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So what your saying is that you can't book a reservation through RCI, and then deposit it into say SFX to extend thier use?

No. Once you confirm an exchange through RCI you can use it or gift it to someone. You can not deposit it to a second exchange company.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you could extend the Wyndham points deposited to RCI.

I haven't done it yet, but there is an "Extend Points" option on the portal site. Go to the portal main page, and click on "View Points Details". You'll see the option on the right hand side.

I don't have any points on deposit at the moment, so it is possible that this doesn't actually work, but...