• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone making 'sell everything' market moves?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the current stock market dive, is anybody panicking? I am positioned pretty defensively, but still it's unnerving to see the precipitous decline. I really don't want to sit and watch another 2007-style drop in assets, waiting for it to reverse direction.

Jim

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Advice After Stock Market Drop: Take Some Deep Breaths, Don’t Do a Thing http://nyti.ms/1JyWI0f

This should not be age dependent advice because your portfolio mix of equity and cash and bonds and social security annuity was already proper.

My biggest grumble in this is I put my entire August 1 paycheck into my 401k to catch up post tax refund and that took a hit.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Not me. Whatever is left after the continuing mandatory withdrawals of my IRA's and 401k's after I go are for the kids. It's sort of a lottery for them in addition to my life insurance. ;)

With my pension, SS and LTC Insurance, I don't need it so I let it ride. Did that back in the last drop and no big deal since it pretty well balanced as it is.

Cheers

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I've been waiting for a temporary drop so I can move some from my 401K to my Roth IRA so it can rebound tax free.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only have a few stocks. Almost needed to sell them in May to make a purchase but did not need to. Could have sold in June or July to make another purchase but never pull the trigger. Regretting that now.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Two words: buying opportunity.

There are some stocks and sectors that have been beat up lately and I personally will be looking at some entry points. Energy stocks are of particular interest to me right now -- they have lost a lot of value, and the dividend rates at current prices are very tempting. Oil will not stay this low for a long time, IMO.

I am guessing I have a longer-term timeframe than most people here (I have no need to tap my portfolios for 10+ years), so I'm sure my focus is a bit different than others.

Kurt

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have a lot of stock and bond mutual funds and ETF's- mostly in IRA's, my 401k and a brokerage account. I am 59 and hubby is 61. We both still work.

I think it is awful how people our age have to worry about this crap. Makes me sick to my stomach. Years ago (I know- that was then- this is now) people had pensions and CD's/savings accounts were earning big interest. Those are now non-existent for the majority of people.

Now- there are no choices of where to put your money to beat inflation and be protected at the same time. You are forced into investing in the stock market. I had been buying I-Bonds monthly- but even those are now earning a negative interest rate so I have stopped that.

I really don't know what to do. I have no pension. Hubby's private pension was cut off at the knees (he has been at job 17 years, so doesn't have a big one anyway as it is-can't live on it). Our IRA's and brokerage accounts are in a multitude of investments (with the same financial company at least). It is mind boggling to me where I would even start if I had to liquidate each and every one of them and then where to put all THAT money! . In 2008 I liquidated at the lowest point in the market- after holding on for so long- but I "broke". We lost so much money and had to start over and wait so long for the market to come back up. I don't think I can take this again. We have done well considering, and with the help of a small inheritance also, which is invested in stock and bond mutual funds in a beneficiary IRA. Now what?

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me see... If I had invested right after the market was down 1000, I would be up 2.5% right now. Then again, if I had invested over the weekend (bottom fishing), I would be down 2.5% (presuming that I did not panic and sell at down 1000 in which case I would be down 5%). Then again, the market might well turn up/down again as the day progresses. Anticipating that, I should buy/sell right now. Of course, if I sold five days ago, and put the money in bonds, the experts say that I would lose money given that the bond market is likely to fall as interest rates go up. Still ...

Diversify, invest for the long run, and hope for the best. No guarantees.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The FED said today they are going to hold off on raising the interest rates yet again. FOX News just preempted all their regular programming to report on this. This might not be the BIG crash, but I still think down the line we will be in for it BIG TIME- a depression- we are still in recession as it is. UGH!:eek:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are still in recession as it is. UGH!

Really? Markets (even today) nearly triple 2007-8 lows? Gas lower than in 2 decades. What recession?

The cure: Stop watching Fox.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Winston Churchill said it best...

keep-calm-and-invest-wisely.png

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been in the market since 1983 and have ridden out every correction, recession and the near-depression of recent memory.

I am glad I did as I did very, very well (because of riding out the storms), but as I am 63 now, I don't have the luxury of time to make up "losses" as I did once. I say "losses" as I have lost some profit this month, but when I look back to see how my stocks have rebounded since 2007, it puts things back into a proper perspective.

My primary residence is paid for (i.e., a roof over my head), I have a few bucks in the bank, two great professions to fall back on (if needed), the love of my life (with 3 secure/great income streams), decent health, food in the refrigerator and some rental income.

I am a blessed person.

-

-

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Two words: buying opportunity.

There are some stocks and sectors that have been beat up lately and I personally will be looking at some entry points. Energy stocks are of particular interest to me right now -- they have lost a lot of value, and the dividend rates at current prices are very tempting. Oil will not stay this low for a long time, IMO.

I am guessing I have a longer-term timeframe than most people here (I have no need to tap my portfolios for 10+ years), so I'm sure my focus is a bit different than others.

Kurt

I’m kind of in the same boat as you, I will not need to tap into these funds for 15 years as I have a bit of time till I can retire.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are other investment options then stocks, cds, bonds. Maybe not as simple but may be safer then the options above. Or maybe international stocks are better for you. A lot of currencies are on sale at the moment compared to the high us dollar.

I have a lot of stock and bond mutual funds and ETF's- mostly in IRA's, my 401k and a brokerage account. I am 59 and hubby is 61. We both still work.

I think it is awful how people our age have to worry about this crap. Makes me sick to my stomach. Years ago (I know- that was then- this is now) people had pensions and CD's/savings accounts were earning big interest. Those are now non-existent for the majority of people.

Now- there are no choices of where to put your money to beat inflation and be protected at the same time. You are forced into investing in the stock market. I had been buying I-Bonds monthly- but even those are now earning a negative interest rate so I have stopped that.

I really don't know what to do. I have no pension. Hubby's private pension was cut off at the knees (he has been at job 17 years, so doesn't have a big one anyway as it is-can't live on it). Our IRA's and brokerage accounts are in a multitude of investments (with the same financial company at least). It is mind boggling to me where I would even start if I had to liquidate each and every one of them and then where to put all THAT money! . In 2008 I liquidated at the lowest point in the market- after holding on for so long- but I "broke". We lost so much money and had to start over and wait so long for the market to come back up. I don't think I can take this again. We have done well considering, and with the help of a small inheritance also, which is invested in stock and bond mutual funds in a beneficiary IRA. Now what?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I funded them, I manage my kids IRAs. About 6 months ago I pulled them 100% out of stocks and parked their money in Short Duration Bond Funds. I intend to swap them back into stocks when the funds I pulled them out of are selling at 10% to 15% less than I sold them for.

George

PS My only assets are a couple of race horses and about $20k in gold and silver coins.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
The FED said today they are going to hold off on raising the interest rates yet again. FOX News just preempted all their regular programming to report on this. This might not be the BIG crash, but I still think down the line we will be in for it BIG TIME- a depression- we are still in recession as it is. UGH!:eek:

I live in the Car Capitol state and back in 2008 when everyone else was experiencing a recession we were in a full blown depression in our state. We live in a nice sub with 78 homes and by 2010 we had 56 of those 78 homes in different stages of foreclosure. All of my neighbors either work for Ford, GM, Fiat/Chrysler or one of the Big Tier 1 automotive suppliers, when both members of the household lost their jobs and our unemployment rate was higher than any other state, no one could find jobs and they let there houses go.

Both of my neighbors on either side of me had to declare bankruptcy, as their emergency savings depleted after two years of unemployment. One of my neighbors, lived in their house for over 2 years before the bank took it back and then they moved to Texas. My husband and 30 of his employees lost their job all on the same day when Ford decided to outsource their entire department to India. Thankfully I was able to hang onto my job and we were able to save our house from the fate of our neighbors. It took my hubby 2 years to find a full time direct hire opportunity. We had a 2 year emergency savings and blew thru that in the 2 years hubby was unemployed.

During this time, I learned how to be even more resourceful and due diligent with my money then I had before and I’m still saving today for the next big one… I truly hope I never have to go thru another horrible depression like myself and my state went thru in 2008 to 2012.
:(

geekette

Reaction score
Holding firm and waiting for bargains as this is likely just the beginning. I don't sell, I only ever add. Like Kurt, I'm not retired yet, but if I were already retired, still wouldn't be selling at lows, would instead still be looking forward to Sept, when many many companies pay me dividends, and will do so regardless of sh price. I needed this downturn to scoop up more, cheap, and put my retirement "for sure" within 10 years vs "maybe" 10, maybe 15...

Rock on with the fire sale, how low can we go....

"sell everything" is advice no one should heed.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Really? Markets (even today) nearly triple 2007-8 lows? Gas lower than in 2 decades. What recession?

The cure: Stop watching Fox.
]

I am going by first hand experience. Sure- the market was up.'But- salaries- including mine- have been stagnant. No raises in years. (and I'm in healthcare-one of the better sectors). Real estate in our area- down. Young people can't afford to buy homes because of college debt- college costs absurd! Food prices- crazy.
Rent prices outrageous. Limited number of jobs. No interest on savings accounts.

I don't know- I don't see a great economy. President Obama said himself when he was running- that low gas/oil prices meant the economy wasn't doing well. Well... we know how gas and oil prices are doing right now...

PS- I am not watching FOX NEWS. I am at work and heard a radio person state that.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Woooo Wait!
The market is almost even and climbing!!!

Let's all run out and buy expensive champagne on our credit cards!!!
:D

Uh oh, wait....it might be dropping again. Take it back, take it back! :eek:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
There are other investment options then stocks, cds, bonds. Maybe not as simple but may be safer then the options above. Or maybe international stocks are better for you. A lot of currencies are on sale at the moment compared to the high us dollar.

I have international currency and international stock and bond funds as well. I am pretty well diversified although I admit I am not sure what all the percentages are.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I live in the Car Capitol state and back in 2008 when everyone else was experiencing a recession we were in a full blown depression in our state. We live in a nice sub with 78 homes and by 2010 we had 56 of those 78 homes in different stages of foreclosure. All of my neighbors either work for Ford, GM, Fiat/Chrysler or one of the Big Tier 1 automotive suppliers, when both members of the household lost their jobs and our unemployment rate was higher than any other state, no one could find jobs and they let there houses go.

Both of my neighbors on either side of me had to declare bankruptcy, as their emergency savings depleted after two years of unemployment. One of my neighbors, lived in their house for over 2 years before the bank took it back and then they moved to Texas. My husband and 30 of his employees lost their job all on the same day when Ford decided to outsource their entire department to India. Thankfully I was able to hang onto my job and we were able to save our house from the fate of our neighbors. It took my hubby 2 years to find a full time direct hire opportunity. We had a 2 year emergency savings and blew thru that in the 2 years hubby was unemployed.

During this time, I learned how to be even more resourceful and due diligent with my money then I had before and I’m still saving today for the next big one… I truly hope I never have to go thru another horrible depression like myself and my state went thru in 2008 to 2012.
:(

Wow. You really lived it. Scary stuff. There are quite a few of abandoned/empty homes around our neighborhood. If you are lucky enough to have a job-you still have no security. We keep putting money into cash as well- trying to build up to 3 years worth of living expenses. House is paid off quite a while now, but our school and property taxes are ridiculously high because we live in good old NY- the welfare state- where a big portion of property taxes goes to Medicaid. And the school taxes- heaven knows what they do with that money! Amazing how other states can have decent schools with barely any taxes on property owners.:annoyed: