• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[merged] New digital camera, Nikon Coolpix or another company?

Banker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a Nikon Coolpix S51 digital camera for a number of years..now it is time to replace it, the side panel came off and the battery compartment door does not stay closed and I would like to have more pixels. I tend to take most of my photos indoors and it would be nice to have one that is great indoors without a flash if possible. Also, I want one that is very simple to load photos to my computer. Any suggestions? I would like something small and under $300.00. Thanks in advance!!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Upgrade your cell phone & kill two birds with one stone.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like Nikon, get another Nikon, because the controls will all work the same and the photos will look like you're used to them looking.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out the local pawn shops - you can often get one just a month or two old for less - and they will let you try it out in the store.

I bought a Cannon Powershot (12.1 MP) and I really like it. :D

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an absolute fan of the Coolpix S8100. It has now been replaced by the 8200. It is a bit thicker than some of the pocket cameras, but still small enough to slip into any pocket. Glass lens and an optical zoom of 10X (now 14X). This zoom allows me to take quality long shots and close ups that I could never take with a simpler camera.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an absolute fan of the Coolpix S8100. It has now been replaced by the 8200. It is a bit thicker than some of the pocket cameras, but still small enough to slip into any pocket. Glass lens and an optical zoom of 10X (now 14X). This zoom allows me to take quality long shots and close ups that I could never take with a simpler camera.

Check prices on this one (8200) at Amazon. looks good, and definitely more camera capability that run-of-the-mill point-n-shoot cameras for not a lot more cost.

Jim

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my Nikon DSLR and equipment.. But while researching a point a shoot to carry around in my purse I would suggest looking at the Canon S95.. It has an awesome lens that can handle low light.. The S100 came out but it is not worth the price difference. :)

I get most of my camera stuff from Fred Miranda Forums.. The S95 is running for $250-265 if you don't mind excellent used condition.

Last edited:

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a new Sony Cyber Shot (the second one we have owned) last month. We were in California for two weeks and the pictures turned out really well. It is small. easy to use and cost under $200.00 at bestbuy.com.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Brett

Reaction score
A post saying that you agree with yourself???

:whoopie: :whoopie:

I guess he really (really) believes P&S models are "dead" !
but perhaps the definition of "P&S" has changed. Cell phone cameras have improved but you can buy larger sensor, smaller size cameras like the Canon G1x, Nikon, Sony NEX, etc.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
A post saying that you agree with yourself???

:eek:

Yikes!!! That's what happens when I reply to a post from several months ago. Don't I feel like a ##$&6*^!

Oh well, at least I'm consistent! :D

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Agreed. Point & shoots are dead.

I'll be the contrarian and disagree.

First of all, I don't have to pay a monthly fee for my small P&S Nikon. The optics are better. The features are more geared towards taking pictures, as opposed to talking and texting.

I don't want a smartphone. I see the people of the first-world lost in their little three-inch screens. And I want no part of it. (I wonder if there will be some posture problem that arises years from now because half our population spends every waking minute with their heads down, staring at their damned phone?)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
:eek:

Yikes!!! That's what happens when I reply to a post from several months ago. Don't I feel like a ##$&6*^!

Oh well, at least I'm consistent! :D
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I should be embarassed for posting on a thread that was three months old.

BTW, I partially agree with you. For many people, a smart phone is all that they really need. They have been upgraded to the point that they take reasonably decent pictures. On the other hand, point and shoot cameras are now sophisticated enough (how much so depending on the camera) that, for many people, they are much more convenient and much less expensive than a SLR camera. So the point and shoot cameras have a new market to replace some of what they lose to smart phones.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, P & S's are dead.

Think 8 track tapes, etc.

Anyone serious about photography isn't using a P & S *or* a cell phone to shoot photos.

Considering the megapixel count, abundance of sophisticated (and free) on-board photo editing apps, and ability to actually do something with your photo after you've shot it, it's a tough argument against cell phones being used for casual photography;the device that already resides in your pocket.

You can embrace and utilize technology, or you can admonish it. Your choice, your prerogative.

I can't help but wonder about those that criticized cell phones before they broke down and bought one. I know a few people...;)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Cell phone cameras are nice, but they don't compete well with an optical zoom in a small camera. They each have their uses.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,

I'm a huge fan of the 8200. Upgraded last year from the 8100 because of the better zoom. Excellent results in all conditions, and does well in low light situations. I hardly feel the need to carry the larger, heavier dslr around anymore.

Mike

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I can't help but wonder about those that criticized cell phones before they broke down and bought one. I know a few people...;)

Yes, me for instance. I need a cell phone for work. Last month, I used it twice.

Why spend all that extra monthly money for technology that simply does not interest me? It's not like I'm throwing sabo into the gears of the windmills. I have more computers than I know what to do with. Living one's life vicariously through a 3" screen doesn't look very productive to me.

Half the people I see in Las Vegas are glued to their phone. I don't see the reason for it. Plenty of more interesting things to look at.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think p&s cameras are dead. I get much better results from a p&s than I do from my phone.

That being said, I am a strong believer that in this type of discussion, no one is wrong and the market will decide. The fact that all the major camera companies are still coming out with new p&s models, AND the fact that cell phone cameras are getting better with each new release, leads me to believe that they will coexist for some time still.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the iPhone 4S but that camera would never replace my DSLR or point and shoot.. the sensor and lens is just not good enough to give me the bokeh I like in my shots.. attaching some examples.. I am a bit obsessive over my photography though.. :)

574461_820508048185_5411491_36447195_1466648844_n.jpg

7011319093_d6794928ee_c.jpg

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wait a second. Just by asking the question, you are saying that I should pick my phone for its camera!

I have an HTC Thunderbolt, and I wouldn't exchange all the things I like about it for a better camera. And I won't buy a new phone for a better camera, either. My biggest issue with my phone camera is that using it is clumsy. I don't use it often enough to know where all the adjustments are, so I'm always poking around the screen looking for the white balance, ISO, flash, etc.

Again, I don't really think you're wrong. I think you're off on the timing. Eventually they'll merge, at least for a large percentage of users. But I think they'll coexist for some time yet.