• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Zenni Optical Sale

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Zenni Optical. It is a discount online optical store. I find their prices good and they have a wide array of frames, including some "high fashion" looks.

If you are either the sort of person who looks on eyeglasses as an accessory and has multiple pair, or breaks their glasses or misplaces them a lot (or has a child who does), Zenni has a sale for you. This week they have a buy two get one free sale. The sale includes upcharges for tints, progressive or bifocals, etc.

I wear progressives, with anti-reflective, anti-scratch lenses with light tinting. I was able to get three pair for $112., and they were some of the most expensive lenses on the website.

Fern

Kaelyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Zenni too, they're website is easy to get around in, but I can't use them. Unfortunately, they can't accommodate a PD difference of more than 2mm, mine is 5.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found them really easy. Most of the needed information is on the 'script you get from your eye doc. Sometimes they 'accidentally forget' to put down the PD- pupillary distance- between your pupils. You can either measure your own standing in front of a mirror with a ruler (that measures Millimeters) or any optical shop- Costco/Sears/Pearle will do it free.

You can upload a full front picture of your face and 'try on' their styles.

I got some from Zenni and Glasses Unlimited. Both worked fine, and any mistakes were mine- like finding some favorite frames, not ordering them as bifocals, then finding the frames were discontinued when I went to re-order.

They were both cheap enough to almost be disposable- averaging about $40 a pair with hardened bifocal and tinted lenses in designer frames.

Jim

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Zenni also has a way to save your favorite frames, so when I look at their website I save anything I think I like and then go back and look at them later. I bought a pair that I had saved maybe four or five months ago, so that isn't bad.

Also, Zenni has a place where you can store your prescription, so you don't have to write it every time you want glasses. You should still keep a copy, of course.

Whenever I go to the eye doctor's, they give me a prescription, but it never has the PD (pupil distance) on it. I always march it right over to their optician and have them measure and write it down for me.

Fern

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, may try this out. Tomorrow I go to the eye doctor and will get an updated prescription.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
Thanks, may try this out. Tomorrow I go to the eye doctor and will get an updated prescription.

Be sure to get the PD measurement. They typically don't offer that up unless you are getting glasses, and even then they might not offer.

I'm getting ready to submit an order for sunglasses myself.

Mike

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Another fan of Zenni here. I've got 3 pairs of sunglasses on order via this new sale.I have to pay 9 bucks more because of one bad eye with a really thick lens...but hey, I still have saved hundreds using Zenni. I find their website easy to use...but for some reason their shopping cart only works for me when I use google chrome. Also, their models for the "try on" function (the females anyway) have the same chin and face shapes, so imho they need more variety in their models. Other than that...it's an a-ok site and their prices can't be beat. :cool:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish i knew how to read these prescriptions! My 6yr old could really use a 'backup' pair of glasses, but all i have is

+75-25x101
+75-25x119

Any ideas what that means?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish i knew how to read these prescriptions! My 6yr old could really use a 'backup' pair of glasses, but all i have is

+75-25x101
+75-25x119

There is a phone # you can call for guidance. First select a couple of frames to choose between. Drop by any optical shop and have her PD measured. THEN call Zenni and they will lead you through the order. If her 'script is too old, though, you'll want a fresh one, especially for a child- as their eyes change more quickly than us oldies.

I'm a big believer in 'internet glasses.' They will save you a bundle.

Jim

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Doctor doesn't sell glasses so they don't do the PD Measurement. Will other places do it, if you are not ordering glasses from them?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Doctor doesn't sell glasses so they don't do the PD Measurement. Will other places do it, if you are not ordering glasses from them?

Sure. I just ask at Costco, or Sears optical dept. Anywhere they sell glasses. They may give you 'the look', but they'll do it. You can do it yourself standing in front of a mirror with a ruler that measures millimeters- or your spouse can look at the numbers on the ruler. Most adults will be about 63-66 or so. The instructions were on the Glasses Unlimited website when I did mine, as well as a printable ruler. After the first time you do it and get some glasses for about 10% of the cost you have been used to paying, you will wonder why you were nervous about the process.

Jim

Last edited:

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score

+75-25x101
+75-25x119

The first number is the "spherical component" (sph)

The second number is the "cylinder component" (cyl), which is the amount of astigmatism.

The third number is the "axis", which is the angle of astigmatism.

OD = right eye
OS = left eye

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to get the glasses once ordered? I noticed there are a bunch of measurements of the frame, would you use the current measurements of the glasses I am currently using if I like that style, or what's your advice. Don't want to order 3 pair to find out there is a mistake and all three are wrong.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to get the glasses once ordered? I noticed there are a bunch of measurements of the frame, would you use the current measurements of the glasses I am currently using if I like that style, or what's your advice.

Seems to me it was 2-3 weeks for delivery. Sure, you can use the measurements on your existing frames. Usually there is a temple length on the inside of them, and you'd want the overall width-- hinge-to-hinge to be similar. I don't think either of these is as critical as people suppose- as long as you're within the range of 'normal.' I've had Costco or another eyewear outfit make adjustments (free) after I got them home. What's fairly critical that you shouldn't guess at is PD- which is one thing lots of optometrists 'forget' to include on your script.

Jim

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first number is the "spherical component" (sph)

The second number is the "cylinder component" (cyl), which is the amount of astigmatism.

The third number is the "axis", which is the angle of astigmatism.

OD = right eye
OS = left eye

Now i'm even more confused....

OD = +75 -.25 x 101
OS = +75 -.25 x 119

PD:
Near: 53
Distance: 50

Which one would i use?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

OD = +75 -.25 x 101
OS = +75 -.25 x 119

PD:

Which one would i use?

If you don't get a good answer here, go to their web site and call their customer service.

I ordered a few pairs over the Christmas break. They took about a month to arrive. Guess mine really were on the slow boat from China...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
PD:

Does she wear bifocal or progressive lenses? That's the PD for those. If you are just getting single-vision lenses, use the distance PD.

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score

OD = +75 -.25 x 101
OS = +75 -.25 x 119

PD:

Which one would i use?

Are these glasses for a kid? That is a very narrow PD for an adult. The PD is interpupillary distance (the distance between your pupils). This is necessary so that you will be looking through the optical center of the lens. If the PD is off, a prismatic effect occurs and you may have eyestrain resembling a "pulling" sensation.

The distance PD should be larger than the near pd. When looking at something near, the eyes naturally converge approximately 3mm at a distance of around 16". A near PD would only be specified if you were getting glasses for near only (single vision reading or single vision computer glasses). The distance PD would be used for conventtional glasses that are worn for distance, or a bifocal. So, I think you have the distance and near PD switched. The distance PD would be the larger of the two (53 in your case).

Now, some folks faces just aren't symmetrical :rofl: So if you can get the Dr.'s office to measure what is called a "monocular pd" that would be ideal. They would have you look through a device called a pupillometer that will measure the distance from the center of the bridge of your nose to the pupil in both the right and left eyes. For PALs (Progressive Addition Lenses ie "no line bifocals") this a critical measurement.

Do you all have a headache yet!!?!?!? LOL

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall she's about 6. See post 9

Yup, 6yrs old, the school suggested we have her eyes tested...she's never had glasses before, so i want to make sure that she 'likes' any glasses she gets so she doesn't see it as a negative...I ordered 3 pairs of glasses for her from that website...i just hope i got the perscription right...and that she finds them 'fashionable'

So, I think you have the distance and near PD switched. The distance PD would be the larger of the two (53 in your case).

I did have them switched...i jotted the numbers down quick at work and just glanced over when i was writing them...the doctor said she just needed them for Reading...but i'm not sure what these numbers mean...i have NO idea

OD = +.75 -.25 x 101
OS = +.75 -.25 x 119

PD:
Near: 50
Distance: 53

Last edited:

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a low strength single vision Rx like this , there would only be minimal prismatic effect if the PD is off a little. That really comes into play with a strong RX or a progressive addition lens.

If these are for reading only, go with the 50 pd, if child is to wear them for both far and near, go with the 53pd.

*I have not visited Zenni's website, but some of my patients have used them. I imagine there would be a place where you just enter the components of the Rx. The (+) sign is for a hyperopic Rx, so don't accidentally order it with a (-) or you will receive a nearsighted Rx. I would think the ordering would have to be pretty much straightforward, otherwise they would have a ton of complaints and returns.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
With progressive addition lens do you have two PD numbers?

Good question that I can't answer. I'd speculate that reading/distance would require different PD- but only about 2-3mm closer for reading- but that's a guess. I tried progressives once when first prescribed bifocals, but couldn't get used to them and went to lined bifocals. On progressives, the 'sweet spot' where the reading portion of the lens is really only about the size of a dime that is actually your prescription- all the rest is 'transitional.' Man, my head was bobbing and weaving, trying to get the page I was reading to focus. It drove me nutz, and that isn't even mentioning trying to see where to step going down stairs!

Perhaps mbeach89, who clearly knows more about the subject than I do will chime in.

Jim